lamont
12-27-2016, 03:54 PM
That's 1 gone

Jack Lambert
12-27-2016, 03:55 PM
Congratulations to him.

BHildreth3
12-27-2016, 03:55 PM
that stings. Mullen should have given him the reigns. ****ing awful news.

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 03:56 PM
Great. We losing assets instead of liabilities. Why didn't Mullen make him the OC?

Ifyouonlyknew
Congrats BJ. It's a promotion that's all you can ask for when a coach leaves on his own.

HoopsDawg
Pretty much the only assistant I didn't want to lose. I hope Key stays with us, he really liked Johnson.

mparkerfd20
I was really hoping we'd promote him to OC. I think losing him is definitely a loss.

MafiaDawg
12-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Key is already enrolled. Has already gone thru practice.

Big4Dawg
12-27-2016, 03:57 PM
Pretty much the only assistant I didn't want to lose. I hope Key stays with us, he really liked Johnson.

Already enrolled bud

DawgNamedScuba
12-27-2016, 03:58 PM
Can he take Hev too?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-27-2016, 03:58 PM

He likes Mullen more.

confucius say
12-27-2016, 03:59 PM
Damn. Good for him though. I think he can be really good. Maybe bring in back some capacity one day.

defiantdog
12-27-2016, 03:59 PM
Knew this was coming eventually..... really wish he'd take Knox and/or Sallach.

HoopsDawg
12-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Already enrolled bud

No, he could still leave. He won't, but he could, bud.

confucius say
12-27-2016, 04:00 PM
That's 1 gone

You say that like it's a good thing.

Jack Lambert
12-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Johnson was the recruiter but Mullen is the QB Whisperer.

Jack Lambert
12-27-2016, 04:02 PM

Funny how both of you with the same name "Bud" ended up posting on the same thread.

Todd4State
12-27-2016, 04:03 PM
That's 1 gone

Crap. He was the best of the country club boys.

Big4Dawg
12-27-2016, 04:04 PM

Anyone can transfer. No shit. But his recruitment is over.

HoopsDawg
12-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Crap. He was the best of the country club boys.

He wasn't a country club. The club boys have been members since the beginning: Hev, Knox, Sallach, and you could argue Gonzo.

HoopsDawg
12-27-2016, 04:07 PM
Anyone can transfer. No shit. But his recruitment is over.

It wouldn't be a transfer. He hasn't signed a LOI and classes haven't started. It's probably a moot point, but he really liked Johnson.

Cooterpoot
Should've made him our OC. He might be the best coach on staff.

dawgday166
He wasn't a country club. The club boys have been members since the beginning: Hev, Knox, Sallach, and you could argue Gonzo.

If true that may be why he left.

msstate7
12-27-2016, 04:08 PM
I bet there will be plenty of good qb coaches to pick from. Mullen is one of the best qb coaches around and a young coach should jump at the opportunity to learn under Mullen

Big4Dawg
12-27-2016, 04:09 PM
It wouldn't be a transfer. He hasn't signed a LOI and classes haven't started. It's probably a moot point, but he really liked Johnson.

He already enrolled and has practiced. He would have to sit out a year.

confucius say
12-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Dan Werner is available

lamont
12-27-2016, 04:11 PM
You say that like it's a good thing.

Not at all. Last asst we needed to lose. I just think there will be more

confucius say
12-27-2016, 04:12 PM

Got ya. And I agree.

Really Clark?
12-27-2016, 04:13 PM

Not without transfer rules coming into play. Once he enrolled and practiced it was done.

msstate7
12-27-2016, 04:13 PM

Lose more assistants by choice or their choice?

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 04:14 PM

Do we start next year with a whole new O staff?

Bothrops
12-27-2016, 04:20 PM
We go through this every year, and it ain't gonna change.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Hevesy now OL Coach, Assistant Head Coach, Special Teams Coach and Offensive Coordinator !!!!!!

Really Clark?
12-27-2016, 04:27 PM
We go through this every year, and it ain't gonna change.

This is not close to the same. Good for Coach Johnson

Todd4State
12-27-2016, 04:27 PM
Hevesy now OL Coach, Assistant Head Coach, Special Teams Coach and Offensive Coordinator !!!!!!

You forgot run game coordinator and women's football camp coordinator.

Leroy Jenkins
12-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Tebow *

HoopsDawg
12-27-2016, 04:30 PM

I don't see any other coaches getting leaving on their own fruition, do you?

fishwater99
12-27-2016, 04:35 PM
Not without transfer rules coming into play. Once he enrolled and practiced it was done.

I don't think so, he hasn't been to class yet.. I think he could still go to another school.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Until he attends a class, he can withdraw and go somewhere else....

Irondawg
12-27-2016, 04:42 PM
Well that's a bummer, but hard to resist being able to be the guy and have total control.

MarketingBully
12-27-2016, 04:44 PM
I don't think so, he hasn't been to class yet.. I think he could still go to another school.

Which school? He shut his recruitment down and no one is pursuing him at the moment. It's a dead period up until he starts classes. It was Mullen he wanted to play for. He liked Johnson but Mullen is the one who developed the QBs. You guys invent shit just to invent it. There has been only one player to do what you guys are talking about and it happened last year. HoopsDog is one of the more negative posters on here. KT isn't going anywhere.

MarketingBully
12-27-2016, 04:47 PM

This shit has happened only one time. The OL that signed financial aid to LSU and then enrolled with Alabama. It has happened one freaking time of any EE's I have ever seen. KT will be a Bulldog. HoopsDog can suck it.

Really Clark?
12-27-2016, 04:50 PM

He can but only as a transfer and under the transfer rules. He could not have practiced with the team without officially being enrolled and cleared through the NCAA. Once that helmet came on and he stepped on the field he, and the other players that did so, are considered official student athletes for this university. If he had not practiced (and he wouldn't have if he didn't get cleared) then you would be correct.

Really Clark?
12-27-2016, 04:51 PM
This shit has happened only one time. The OL that signed financial aid to LSU and then enrolled with Alabama. It has happened one freaking time of any EE's I have ever seen. KT will be a Bulldog. HoopsDog can suck it.

Totally different. He never practiced or enrolled at LSU. So he was still available.

Coach007
12-27-2016, 04:52 PM
Bottom line is he has earned a shot and he got it. Congrats.

BTW, He is from Tx

RougeDawg
12-27-2016, 04:56 PM
I wonder if he's going to bring the "150 lb RB dripping wet, up the gut" offense with him to Houston?

MarketingBully
12-27-2016, 04:56 PM
He can but only as a transfer and under the transfer rules. He could not have practiced with the team without officially being enrolled and cleared through the NCAA. Once that helmet came on and he stepped on the field he, and the other players that did so, are considered official student athletes for this university. If he had not practiced (and he wouldn't have if he didn't get cleared) then you would be correct.

It doesn't matter anyway because the shit they are talking about has only happened once meaning it's extremely extremely rare that a recruit would do what that lineman that went to Alabama and signed papers with LSU did. I wish the NCAA would go a step further and close that loop hole so the shit that kid did last year won't happen again. Meaning if you sign financial aid papers the recruitment is over for other schools.

MarketingBully
12-27-2016, 04:57 PM
Totally different. He never practiced or enrolled at LSU. So he was still available.

My point is still the same. That kid has been the only one to do that.

CadaverDawg
12-27-2016, 04:58 PM
Wish we'd have paid him OC money & kept him. Sucks

StatesboroBlues
12-27-2016, 04:59 PM

This...

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 05:01 PM

I would really be interested to know why he wasn't offered that? This isn't leaving for a better job if we do offer him OC job.

Quaoarsking
12-27-2016, 05:02 PM
A couple good years at Houston and Johnson is the heir apparent if we need a new HC for whatever reason?

fishwater99
12-27-2016, 05:02 PM
Which school? He shut his recruitment down and no one is pursuing him at the moment. It's a dead period up until he starts classes. It was Mullen he wanted to play for. He liked Johnson but Mullen is the one who developed the QBs. You guys invent shit just to invent it. There has been only one player to do what you guys are talking about and it happened last year. HoopsDog is one of the more negative posters on here. KT isn't going anywhere.

I never said he was going to another school, but KT could if he wanted to. I'm glad he's a Dawg..

WinningIsRelentless
12-27-2016, 05:03 PM
I would really be interested to know why he wasn't offered that? This isn't leaving for a better job if we do offer him OC job.

What is OC money?

JoseBrown
12-27-2016, 05:05 PM

Should have been done already. I did not want to see him go, but since he has... please take a couple others with you.

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 05:09 PM
What is OC money?

O coordinator salary level pay. I would've liked him to be OC ... not just have the pay only. I think it's too much for Mullen to do OC job during a game and handle the rest of the HC job too.

RougeDawg
12-27-2016, 05:15 PM
We need to hire a HD classroom coach apparently. Get these young guys in a football study hall and speed up the learning curve for them getting on the field. We are the only offense in the nation that it takes a RB/WR 2-3 years to fully grasp and then get permitted the proper playing time. Hell maybe they could even work in some credit hours into the course "Dan Walsh's Gift to Football - 101".

WinningIsRelentless
12-27-2016, 05:18 PM

O coordinator salary level pay. I would've liked him to be OC ... not just have the pay only. I think it's too much for Mullen to do OC job during a game and handle the rest of the HC job too.

So you would like to tie up probably 65% of our available salary on the offensive side of the ball?

Also, do I need to remind y'all he got fired as the OC at Utah this came to us as the QB coach.

TimberBeast
12-27-2016, 05:23 PM
We need to hire a HD classroom coach apparently. Get these young guys in a football study hall and speed up the learning curve for them getting on the field. We are the only offense in the nation that it takes a RB/WR 2-3 years to fully grasp and then get permitted the proper playing time. Hell maybe they could even work in some credit hours into the course "Dan Walsh's Gift to Football - 101".

The ONLY reason Aeris got the correct playing time at all this season (excluding the bowl game) was because of an injury to Holloway. If he doesn't get injured, we wouldn't even have played in the bowl game, not even close.

Coach007
12-27-2016, 05:24 PM

Mullen is the OC

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 05:26 PM
So you would like to tie up probably 65% of our available salary on the offensive side of the ball?

Also, do I need to remind y'all he got fired as the OC at Utah this came to us as the QB coach.

Not sure about the percentage but I do believe we need an OC. Wasn't aware he was fired but now he's been hired as an OC. Don't know all the details with the firing. I just think he has been one of our better assistants. Maybe Dan has a plan tho. We'll see.

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 05:28 PM
Mullen is the OC

I know. I also think it would be better if he managed the game, without having to call the plays. There is a reason Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh have coordinators on both sides of the ball.

Really Clark?
12-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Not sure about the percentage but I do believe we need an OC. Wasn't aware he was fired but now he's been hired as an OC. Don't know all the details with the firing. I just think he has been one of our better assistants. Maybe Dan has a plan tho. We'll see.

He wasn't fired but the OC title and play calling duties were taken away from him at Utah a year or two before he joined our staff. He stayed at Utah even after being demoted.

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 05:40 PM
He wasn't fired but the OC title and play calling duties were taken away from him at Utah a year or two before he joined our staff. He stayed at Utah even after being demoted.

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty ignorant about some of this and don't mind admitting it. I still think he was one of the better O staff members. On D staff to me it's still too early to tell, taking into account the whole new staff and the new scheme for the players.

Maroons
12-27-2016, 05:42 PM

He's taken a class.

Dawgology
12-27-2016, 05:56 PM
Funny how both of you with the same name "Bud" ended up posting on the same thread.

I can't stop laughing about this.

jeremyrbrown
12-27-2016, 06:05 PM
I never said he was going to another school, but KT could if he wanted to. I'm glad he's a Dawg..

Making the same inaccurate statement over and over again, doesn't magically make you right.

By rule, the minute he practiced, he would have to transfer and sit out a year to play anywhere other than Mississippi State.

preachermatt83
12-27-2016, 07:01 PM
A couple good years at Houston and Johnson is the heir apparent if we need a new HC for whatever reason?

So we would hire the OC at a non-power 5 school as our head coach? Lol. I would certainly hope not.

preachermatt83
12-27-2016, 07:04 PM

Our offense got much much much better when Mullen took over play calling full time.

HoopsDawg
12-27-2016, 07:16 PM
Our offense got much much much better when Mullen took over play calling full time.

Yeah, we save money by not having to pay an offensive coordinator. You would think we could give a d-coord a nice package.

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 07:18 PM

Is that why we always run the QB draw on 3rd and short or anytime inside the opponents 10 yd line? That works well against KY all the time, but it don't work worth a crap against Bama.

Not saying he doesn't go through stretches of making good play calls but he also does the opposite. I do know that he does a very average to even poor job of overall game management, especially the clock and timeouts, and I don't think it would hurt to have an OC so he can concentrate more on what he isn't doing well and ain't good at, but is primarily the HC's responsibilities.

Dawg61
12-27-2016, 07:18 PM

No

Dawg61
12-27-2016, 07:20 PM
So next year when Fitz breaks every record ever for a QB at MSU does Mullen get credit for him this time or are y'all still gonna try to say it's because of Brian Johnson?

smootness
12-27-2016, 09:47 PM
So next year when Fitz breaks every record ever for a QB at MSU does Mullen get credit for him this time or are y'all still gonna try to say it's because of Brian Johnson?

Yeah, none of us really know what Brian Johnson brought to the table, yet we seem convinced it's a huge loss.

Mullen is the reason for the success of our QBs. We'll be fine.

preachermatt83
12-27-2016, 09:51 PM
Yeah, we save money by not having to pay an offensive coordinator. You would think we could give a d-coord a nice package.

Exactly. It's so odd how you and I either disagree completely or agree completely.. there is never a middle ground.

Goldendawg
12-27-2016, 09:56 PM
Dan is the QB coach. Got mentioned again during the Dallas game about the rise of Dak. We don't need to pay someone else as a QB coach. Maybe an on field ST/Kicking Game Coach (Country Club members need not apply).

Dawg61
12-27-2016, 10:02 PM
Dan is the QB coach. Got mentioned again during the Dallas game about the rise of Dak. We don't need to pay someone else as a QB coach. Maybe an on field ST/Kicking Game Coach (Country Club members need not apply).

They didn't just give him credit for Dak they also gave him credit for Alex Smith and Tim Tebow. Everytime Dak plays in these primetime games MSU and Dan are getting mentioned. Dak is the gift that keeps on giving for MSU.

Goldendawg
12-27-2016, 10:08 PM
My point exactly from NFL announcers and the national media. Good luck to Johnson at Houston, but I have never heard him mentioned in relation to Dak by any of these sources.

Commercecomet24
12-27-2016, 10:13 PM

Yep. We can complain about a lot of things Mullen does but qb development is NOT one of them. The man almost took us to a bowl with freaking Tyson Lee at qb against the #1 toughest schedule in the country and won 9 games with Relf. Russell had some passing records for awhile and of course there's Dak. And look at what Fitz is doing. If we blame him for some things we definitely have to give credit where it's due.

Commercecomet24
12-27-2016, 10:18 PM
When women at your office say that they sure did say Dan Mullen and Mississippi State a lot in that game last night, word is getting around.

Goldendawg
12-27-2016, 10:22 PM
Best MSU PR in my 50 plus years of going to games. Hail State!

Liverpooldawg
12-27-2016, 11:54 PM
Mullen is the OC and the QB coach, y'all need to get over that fact. It hasn't changed sice he has been here.

msbulldog
12-28-2016, 12:40 PM
Sports Illustrated reporting our Brian Johnson going to Houston as OC.
http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/12/27/brian-johnson-hired-houston-offensive-coordinator-mississippi-state

ETA: delete this thread, I did not see previous threads on page 2, I have not been on ED since yesterday morning when I was in Tennessee.

smootness
12-28-2016, 12:43 PM
WHAT?!

msbulldog
12-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Tebow *

Maybe not so much a bad idea, definitely a splash hire, a whole lot of free publicity!

msbulldog
12-28-2016, 03:19 PM

Clark, you always make the most factual sense! Rep given.

TaleofTwoDogs
12-28-2016, 06:26 PM
I don't blame Coach J. He was always in the shadow of the QB master CDM. Rarely was he ever mentioned by the media or fans as a developer of QBs. Don't know if ego had a hand in his decision to move on but he was justified from that point of view.

Goldendawg
12-28-2016, 07:05 PM
So, 1st he has to leave AC/DC over concern for future permanent hearing loss and now goes to UH to not share the QB guru spotlight with Dan? Tough to share the spotlight with Angus and Dan in 2016?****