PDA

View Full Version : question about Sticklin

Bo Darville
09-06-2013, 10:14 AM
In several threads over the last few days, I have seen mention of Stricklin apologizing for scheduling Oklahoma State. I cannot find the apology anywhere. I checked the website and I checked Stricklin's twitter feed. Can anyone post it or tell me where they found it.

Coach34
09-06-2013, 10:39 AM
He basically said something about Saturday being a tough day and added "that's on me"....myself and others took that as him apologizing for scheduling the game. Strick's response was that he wasn't apologizing but "accepting responsibility"

I then added he wasnt responsible for the Croomesque performance by the offense

smootness
09-06-2013, 10:57 AM
His 'that's on me' was mentioned directly in regard to it being a tough opponent, which it obviously was. I don't think it was at all saying that we shouldn't have scheduled it or apologizing for it; I think he was simply saying that he's the one that scheduled it, so if anyone is upset about that, it falls on him.

We had fans who were upset about the opponent even before we played the game; obviously Stricklin knows that. I don't think he was saying that the loss is on him, just that, again, if anyone takes issue with who we scheduled, they should take issue with him.

Or, put another way, it could have simply been his way of deflecting ahead of time any vitriol that came his way for 'making an excuse' that we lost but, hey, it was a tough opponent. Basically, he could have just said, 'I believe this team is good'; but since he said, 'I believe this team is good, but it was a tough opponent' he wanted to make sure everyone knew he wasn't somehow deflecting or making excuses, that we had a tough opponent directly because of him.

This goes right in line with someone's primary complaint of him being that changing the food vendors was a bad idea; ok, if these are the worst things he's doing, please keep him.

J-Dawg
09-06-2013, 11:12 AM
He didn't "apologize". He said something like "Tough loss to a tough opponent (that's on me)....." or something like that.

Coach34
09-06-2013, 11:28 AM
His exact quote:

"I believe this @hailstateFBall team is good. Tough foe in game one (that's on me). Thank you fans for your support"

To me that's halfway apologizing for playing a tough team. You think Georgia's AD said something like that after the Clemson game to their fans?

HancockCountyDog
09-06-2013, 11:32 AM
His exact quote:

"I believe this @hailstateFBall team is good. Tough foe in game one (that's on me). Thank you fans for your support"

To me that's halfway apologizing for playing a tough team. You think Georgia's AD said something like that after the Clemson game to their fans?

Im sorry, it pissed me off. I mean, are we taking the short bus to games now?

Now today he is tweeting about smelly cups? I mean seriously, he needs to get his head out of his ass and step away from the damn keyboard.

smootness
09-06-2013, 11:35 AM
Georgia's AD isn't on twitter.

But honestly, no, I don't think he would have said that - but I also don't think UGA fans were angry they scheduled a tough opponent in game one. It is standard procedure for them, and if you want to compete for a national championship, it's important.

Our fans, however, were ticked that we scheduled someone besides Jackson St. for game one, so obviously Stricklin felt the need to put it on his shoulders. Again, I'm pretty sure it had more to do with taking the brunt of the criticism as opposed to apologizing. There was very little criticism aimed at Greg McGarity.

dawg21
09-06-2013, 12:44 PM
That's the thing about Twitter...its a great way to communicate, its a great way to send out hints, its a great way to build momentum, and its a easy way to do something stupid. The more you put yourself out there, the more criticism you will receive.

What I don't like is that people will take ONE statement and try to define a person or their job performance.

smootness
09-06-2013, 01:01 PM
What I don't like is that people will take ONE statement and try to define a person or their job performance.

This is getting into a pretty unrelated topic, but it is funny that as society's standards/morals/whatever you want to call them have become more accepting, we've also become far less accepting of a slight mistake here or there. You screw up once, and you're done. And what's even funnier is that most of the time, I don't think most people are that upset over the mistake; they just feel like they have to be outraged and demand firing/suspension/death, whatever the situation calls for.

Political Hack
09-06-2013, 01:33 PM
twitter didn't define his job performance. he did, via twitter.