PDA

View Full Version : Heading into 2017- position by position

lamont
12-27-2016, 11:20 AM
We've done some of this- but let's look objectively at our team heading into 2017:

QB- We have our starter here. He has to improve in the passing game. Throws are inconsistent as is reading defenses. The talent is there and he should absolutely improve. His back-up and the future starts classes in a couple weeks. We are losing 2 to transfer here though- and need to find another scholarship QB. Last Chance U as our 3rd QB doesnt cut it. We need another QB on scholarship. Maybe we can steal a Vandy recruit or something

TB- Graduation makes us better here. Eliminating the option of Mullen to play Holloway and Shump helps us in 2017. Rumors of more attrition circulate here. Hopefully Gibson and DLee stick around. Hill coming in helps with talent- and I look forward to seeing him play in 2018 after he takes his year to learn how to pass block. With almost 2100 yards returning between Fitz and the A-Train- we have the guys to tote the rock.

WR- huge questions here. Gray just isnt a #1 WR. Myles was awful in 2016. Mixon and Dear had about 40 catches between them- and should add to the total in 2017. Couch had 8 catches this year as a true freshman. Jesse Jackson has had no impact. We lack top half SEC talent at this position and are easily the worst in the West.

TE- We are good at this position. Should do nothing but improve heading into 2017. Going to need these guys used more in the passing game next season.

OL- we lose 3 starters- including our Center. Lots of questions here and along with WR- make 2017 scary. We'll find out about both position groups in games 3-5 next year- LSU, @Georgia, @Auburn. The OL better gel quickly. We seem to have lots of options at OG but not OT. And literally no idea who the Center will be at this point. We have to hope like hell Rankin doesnt take bad advice and leave early. Like WR- not alot of optimism here. At least one of our juco signees here will be redshirted.

DL- Simmons can play. Hoyett and Thomas have showed flashes but are inconsistent. Spencer should be more of a force next year. Fletch Adams was decent in the bowl game. Juco transfers coming in. The jucos have to play- no choice. Hopefully they are somewhat ready to play vs LSU. There is some optimism here- but no guarantees when plugging in jucos.

LB- Lose a guy that has played alot of football in Richie Brown. Ward played decently at times in his last season. Leo Lewis had a good year. GG has yet to be the impact guy he was thought to be. Dez Harris returns, Gray, Jung....this group is ok but nothing special. Leo could be an All-SEC level player- but the rest are mehhhh. No way you can say this bunch is top half of the SEC.

CB- ugh. Just not very good in 2016. Jiles is trying to get a 6th year and that would help. Cleveland returns from injury. Peters got alot of experience here. Dantzler was RS'ed and supposedly should help- but will be inexperienced. Smokey, Durr, Rayford are also options. This has to be better in 2017- really couldnt be worse. Even with improvement- its hard to see this group being top half in the SEC.

Safety- Lose Coman who started for 2 years and supposedly was one of our leaders. Bryant is inconsistent as is McLaurin- but both have talent. Juco help coming in to help here. Need to improve here. Big question mark. Hard to say this group will be top half of the SEC

Punter- Cooke returns and is pretty good

Kicker- Graves is supposedly moving on- so we will have a green, inexperienced guy in 2017.

Schedule- Toughest we have had in awhile. East gives us Georgia on the road who returns the most starters in the SEC in 2017, plus Kentucky at home who also returns alot of guys. West swing games are on the road- @Auburn, @A&M, and @UPig. We dont beat Bama or LSU very often and I dont see it changing in 2017. LSU returns their QB, lots of OL talent, a top SEC TB, and talent at WR. Hopefully some of their JR's declare early. Egg Bowl is at home so it should be a win. The SEC as a whole was young in 2016- and lots of teams return plenty of starters. Look for an improved, stronger SEC in 2017.

2017 is going to be interesting

HoopsDawg
12-27-2016, 11:48 AM
Good breakdown, I agree. If we want to call 2016 a transition year, I will politely call 2017 a bridge year to possibly being good in 2018. I honestly can't find more than 7 wins with our roster and schedule in 2017. I would set the over/under at 6.

I really hope for a coaching change and scheme change on the defensive side. We need to identify our playmakers early and get them in the right spots. Consider that we had Fitz and Aeris on the sideline vs South Alabama in Game 1 this year. That kind of shit can't happen. Fitz needs to take on a leadership role in the offseason and we need a great off-season in the weight room and with chemistry considering the high number of Jucos coming in. I can't say I feel good about any position group except for QB and RB. Big questions everywhere.

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 11:52 AM
Don't wanna lose Gibson at RB if he's thinking of leaving. I find it hard to believe Rankin got a 2nd round draft grade. He has improved a lot but he still misses assignments and or takes a play off from time to time. I believe it's likely the OL will continue to be a cluster as long as Hev keeps using them as a science experiment. He needs to figure out who has the right athleticism (and at center the mentality) to play where and drill the shit out of them in that one spot. WR just don't know yet.

LB - I hate to say it but Richie ain't a loss at all. He's in the Holloway/Shump category (except at least those 2 gave effort when they were out there). If we aren't a lot better at LB next year it ain't because of lack of talent. DL - I sorta feel close to same as LB with Jucos coming in. DBs - not sure yet. There's some talent there but I can't really tell if they can become top notch or not. The Juco DBs need to be immediate impact players.

Kicker - always a crap shoot under Dan.

GTHOM
12-27-2016, 01:09 PM
We will be fine at WR. Gray may not be a 1 WR in your opinion but he can play. Reggie Todd and Mitchell have to be ready to go I will say that. My biggest concern is the OL and us actually knowing what the hell we are doing on defense. We are good enough to compete every where else

HSVDawg
12-27-2016, 01:44 PM
The schedule is definitely tougher next year. We could improve by leaps and bounds from this season and still only be 6-6. It's going to be interesting to see how Cohen handles Mullen's extension. If he doesn't get one this year, it may be really hard to justify giving him one next year.

1bigdawg
12-27-2016, 01:45 PM
We've done some of this- but let's look objectively at our team heading into 2017: Added Recruiting and Coaching for the Offensive staff; too early to call on defense:

QB- We have our starter here. He has to improve in the passing game. Throws are inconsistent as is reading defenses. The talent is there and he should absolutely improve. His back-up and the future starts classes in a couple weeks. We are losing 2 to transfer here though- and need to find another scholarship QB. Last Chance U as our 3rd QB doesnt cut it. We need another QB on scholarship. Maybe we can steal a Vandy recruit or something

Recruiting - has gotten better. This is the first year in a long while we are getting a QB that had other SEC offers.--- Coaching: Mullen and Johnson are proven developers of talent. Even though we are short handed, I am not worried here.

TB- Graduation makes us better here. Eliminating the option of Mullen to play Holloway and Shump helps us in 2017. Rumors of more attrition circulate here. Hopefully Gibson and DLee stick around. Hill coming in helps with talent- and I look forward to seeing him play in 2018 after he takes his year to learn how to pass block. With almost 2100 yards returning between Fitz and the A-Train- we have the guys to tote the rock. Recruiting: Best position recruiting on offense. Coaching: Knox is a very good RB coach. I think making him "responsible" for special teams has changed his attitude about who should play - to our detriment. We will be better here because we have run our of bad options.

WR- huge questions here. Gray just isnt a #1 WR. Myles was awful in 2016. Mixon and Dear had about 40 catches between them- and should add to the total in 2017. Couch had 8 catches this year as a true freshman. Jesse Jackson has had no impact. We lack top half SEC talent at this position and are easily the worst in the West. Recuiting: I am really stunned that Gonzo has not been a better recruiter, but the proof is in the numbers. We just have not been competitive for 4 star guys since he has been here unless is was a special case. We already had Gray's commitment and Reginald Todd somewhat fell into our laps. This is a bigger problem that some positions because WR is probably the easiest position to project and the one where star ratings are most likely the most accurate. Coaching: I believe Gonzo does a really good job with the talent he has to keep our passing game competitive. They need more time with the JUGS machine, though.

TE- We are good at this position. Should do nothing but improve heading into 2017. Going to need these guys used more in the passing game next season. Recruiting: Sallach has actually brought in a good group. The only problem here is that most TE coaches are recruiting superstars and Sallch is not. Coaching: Again, I think Sallach does his actual job well.

OL- we lose 3 starters- including our Center. Lots of questions here and along with WR- make 2017 scary. We'll find out about both position groups in games 3-5 next year- LSU, @Georgia, @Auburn. The OL better gel quickly. We seem to have lots of options at OG but not OT. And literally no idea who the Center will be at this point. We have to hope like hell Rankin doesnt take bad advice and leave early. Like WR- not alot of optimism here. At least one of our juco signees here will be redshirted. Recruiting: Hevesy is a disaster. He seems to have Polk syndrome: if they don't come to camp, we cannot offer them. This is the one area where we seem not to even be competitive in state. Our two HS commits are our lowest rated guys. We did ok with Mississippi JUCO recruiting. Coaching: Some seem to want to give him a pass because we have a couple of decent games. We have a lot of bad games, too. Worst overall coach on the staff.

DL- Simmons can play. Hoyett and Thomas have showed flashes but are inconsistent. Spencer should be more of a force next year. Fletch Adams was decent in the bowl game. Juco transfers coming in. The jucos have to play- no choice. Hopefully they are somewhat ready to play vs LSU. There is some optimism here- but no guarantees when plugging in jucos.

LB- Lose a guy that has played alot of football in Richie Brown. Ward played decently at times in his last season. Leo Lewis had a good year. GG has yet to be the impact guy he was thought to be. Dez Harris returns, Gray, Jung....this group is ok but nothing special. Leo could be an All-SEC level player- but the rest are mehhhh. No way you can say this bunch is top half of the SEC.

CB- ugh. Just not very good in 2016. Jiles is trying to get a 6th year and that would help. Cleveland returns from injury. Peters got alot of experience here. Dantzler was RS'ed and supposedly should help- but will be inexperienced. Smokey, Durr, Rayford are also options. This has to be better in 2017- really couldnt be worse. Even with improvement- its hard to see this group being top half in the SEC.

Safety- Lose Coman who started for 2 years and supposedly was one of our leaders. Bryant is inconsistent as is McLaurin- but both have talent. Juco help coming in to help here. Need to improve here. Big question mark. Hard to say this group will be top half of the SEC

Kicker- Graves is supposedly moving on- so we will have a green, inexperienced guy in 2017.

Schedule- Toughest we have had in awhile. East gives us Georgia on the road who returns the most starters in the SEC in 2017, plus Kentucky at home who also returns alot of guys. West swing games are on the road- @Auburn, @A&M, and @UPig. We dont beat Bama or LSU very often and I dont see it changing in 2017. LSU returns their QB, lots of OL talent, a top SEC TB, and talent at WR. Hopefully some of their JR's declare early. Egg Bowl is at home so it should be a win. The SEC as a whole was young in 2016- and lots of teams return plenty of starters. Look for an improved, stronger SEC in 2017.

Bottom line: If Random is right and we are a 6-6 or worse team next year, then we need to at least make offensive coaching changes this year or we are just putting off the inevitable with Mullen.

justwin
12-27-2016, 11:50 PM
We've done some of this- but let's look objectively at our team heading into 2017:

TB- Graduation makes us better here. Eliminating the option of Mullen to play Holloway and Shump helps us in 2017. Rumors of more attrition circulate here. Hopefully Gibson and DLee stick around. Hill coming in helps with talent- and I look forward to seeing him play in 2018 after he takes his year to learn how to pass block. With almost 2100 yards returning between Fitz and the A-Train- we have the guys to tote the rock.

WR- huge questions here. Gray just isnt a #1 WR. Myles was awful in 2016. Mixon and Dear had about 40 catches between them- and should add to the total in 2017. Couch had 8 catches this year as a true freshman. Jesse Jackson has had no impact. We lack top half SEC talent at this position and are easily the worst in the West.

TE- We are good at this position. Should do nothing but improve heading into 2017. Going to need these guys used more in the passing game next season.

OL- we lose 3 starters- including our Center. Lots of questions here and along with WR- make 2017 scary. We'll find out about both position groups in games 3-5 next year- LSU, @Georgia, @Auburn. The OL better gel quickly. We seem to have lots of options at OG but not OT. And literally no idea who the Center will be at this point. We have to hope like hell Rankin doesnt take bad advice and leave early. Like WR- not alot of optimism here. At least one of our juco signees here will be redshirted.

Aeris is a Dam Man...He's our best player. Hardest Worker. 2017 needs feature him. 225 carries minimum to even considering competing for 10 wins in 2017.

Through 15 games with the 13-3 Cowboys, Zeke has 322 carries & 32 catches avg 23 touches a game. Watching him with Dak, gives me a preview of what Fitz & Aeris can they commit to developing together during the offseason. They have to get perfect on their messes & pitches...everytime.

I would play Couch/Todd/Mitchell/A. Williams in the slot. They need to high point balls for Fitz.

The Peter Sirmon D is going to see the Arkansas offense 12 times next year. The tape is out. Sirmon's D can't stop it so get ready to see it 12 times next year. Are we grooming T. Buckley for DC? Hope so, MS guy who will play the 4-3 with squat corners, croot, be here.

Good for Graves. Glad to see him with the GW FG.

Nice writeup

somebodyshotmypaw
12-28-2016, 12:04 AM
I would play Couch/Todd/Mitchell/A. Williams in the slot.

You would play Aeris Williams in the slot?

justwin
12-28-2016, 09:06 AM
You would play Aeris Williams in the slot?

Austin

confucius say
12-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Good, fair writeup. I would add on wr that two things would help mask the deficiency: te (green) blossoming the way he should and us running the damn ball 67% of the time like we should do in order to get our best weapons (Aries, fitz, dear, Mixon, Gibson) maximum touches.

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 11:26 AM
I'm willing to bet anyone willing we win 8 games minimum next year.

lamont
12-28-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm willing to bet anyone willing we win 8 games minimum next year.

you were willing to do that this past August also

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 11:34 AM

Well let's bet. I was hoping you were up for the challenge.

archdog
12-28-2016, 11:35 AM
Austin

Aeris Williams in every position, except OT. Hell he may even be able to block DE.

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 11:40 AM

If I lose I'll quit posting on this site. If I win you don't post anything about MSU football under any alias from January through August.

Deal?

gtowndawg
12-28-2016, 11:52 AM
I sure hope we keep our grades up for next year. We might need them..again.

DogsofAnarchy
12-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Great write up but you have to take COACHING into consideration here RP. The talent level is high enough to win the games we should win and to compete in the other games. With good coaching we should win 7 or 8 games. May be just my opinion but Coaching will be the key next year. If Dan is determined to throw the ball 60% of the time then we will struggle. If Dan doesn't hire a D.C. and let them do their work then we will struggle. Coaching is the key next year.

QUOTE=Random Poster;677419]We've done some of this- but let's look objectively at our team heading into 2017:

2017 is going to be interesting[/QUOTE]

lamont
12-28-2016, 11:57 AM
If I lose I'll quit posting on this site. If I win you don't post anything about MSU football under any alias from January through August.

Deal?

Lets finish bowl season and such before any bets are laid. Guice could shred his knee, Eason could tear a labrum, etc...After bowl season I'll be happy to make some kind of bet

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Lets finish bowl season and such before any bets are laid. Guice could shred his knee, Eason could tear a labrum, etc...After bowl season I'll be happy to make some kind of bet

????? And Fitz could pull a hamstring walking to class, it's football. Either your confident or not. If LSU is so much better losing a RB won't matter. Those players are only from only two teams. I said 8 wins not 10.

lamont
12-28-2016, 12:08 PM
????? And Fitz could pull a hamstring walking to class, it's football. Either your confident or not. If LSU is so much better losing a RB won't matter. Those players are only from only two teams. I said 8 wins not 10.

Impact players always matter- you know that. I'll hit you up after bowl season ends

SignalToNoise
12-28-2016, 12:17 PM
What about the stamps kid at DB? Thought we had high hopes for him.

tcdog70
12-28-2016, 12:17 PM
Why does Wyatt Roberts as the third string QB not cut it? Have you seen Him Play or have you seen Him in practice? Dan's best attribute is QB evaluation. If He thinks Wyatt is Ok then that is OK by Me. Most HighSchool QB would have a hard time to come in and be better than Him. If Dan chooses to sign another HS QB then it will be Ok with Me-also.

defiantdog
12-28-2016, 12:33 PM

Fitz is developing as expected as a passer considering it's really new to him. I expect him to really progress next year.

Hill won't redshirt. I know he may need to and it's probably his best option, but he won't..... trust me on this one. Lee will take over Shump's spot on special teams. Williams should have a great year for us in 2017.

We'll be fine at the receiver position as long as we convince Mixon to stay in the slot. The inexperience on the outside scares me though. Couch is going to be a good WR, but he needs another year to understand the position. He can't just fly by folks like he did in high school and win the jump ball every time. He's gotta learn to run routes. Gray needs to become more consistent if he wants to take the leadership role.

Another year of the same old OL issues.

Rivers will make an immediate impact for us here. Autry will also give Simmons some breathing time (the dude is about 5 feet wide).

Luckily, we have this guy named Erroll Thompson who IS NOT afraid to hit anyone. He will be an immediate upgrade to the experience R. Brown. He's also lost about 15 pounds, so he'll mesh well into the position.

Dantzler is going to have a lot of growing pains. I see him filling in like Rayford did for us this year. Abram is a ball hawk at safety, so that should alleviate some pressure from the DBs.

Bryant should be moved to special teams. He flops as bad as R. Brown arm tackles. McLaurin is still learning not to be a receiver and will understand the discipline of the safety position soon enough. Abram will be a huge upgrade for us here. Cole still has learning to do, but he's a hell of an athlete. He was basically the Cam Akers of Michigan a few year back. He actually progressed well into the safety position at Michigan. He'd still be there if not for the off the field issue. He's going to be a good one as well.

Next year will be a lot like this year for us. We are one year away from our defense to really gel, and we are a dynamic WR away from having a damn good offense.

We have some holes to fill, but I think we have the personnel to do it. 2018 looks to be the promising season for us.

lamont
12-28-2016, 07:20 PM
I'm in total agreement we are shaping up for 2018 to be the season we push for 10 wins again

HoopsDawg
12-28-2016, 07:24 PM
I'm in total agreement we are shaping up for 2018 to be the season we push for 10 wins again

Gotta find a Left Tackle and some speed on the outside though.

lamont
12-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Well let's bet. I was hoping you were up for the challenge.

Here's your problem betting against me:

Since 2009 when Dan Mullen took over- we have NEVER won more games than I predicted us to win

I nailed 2012
overshot in 2013 (predicted 8)
nailed 2014
overshot in 2015 (predicted 10)
nailed 2016- " Cant lose to BYU on the road or 6 wins wont happen for this team."

So trying to categorize me as a negative nelly just doesnt work. We win 8 next year and it will be the first time I undershoot on Mullen

bulldawg28
12-28-2016, 08:07 PM
Here's your problem betting against me:

Since 2009 when Dan Mullen took over- we have NEVER won more games than I predicted us to win

I nailed 2012
overshot in 2013 (predicted 8)
nailed 2014
overshot in 2015 (predicted 10)
nailed 2016- " Cant lose to BYU on the road or 6 wins wont happen for this team."

So trying to categorize me as a negative nelly just doesnt work. We win 8 next year and it will be the first time I undershoot on Mullen

Ok. So it's a bet?

lamont
12-28-2016, 08:22 PM
Ok. So it's a bet?

we'll discuss terms after the bowl season

maroonmania
12-28-2016, 10:40 PM
At LB you didn't even mention Erroll Thompson who may end up being our 2nd most talented LB behind Lewis next year.

lamont
12-28-2016, 11:07 PM
At LB you didn't even mention Erroll Thompson who may end up being our 2nd most talented LB behind Lewis next year.

hasnt played one snap of college football. Nobody knows if he can do anything at this point

Goldendawg
12-28-2016, 11:21 PM
I know Wall came on late and did a good job kicking off, but if Graves doesn't return who is our FG and PAT kicker? Are we still trying to flip the GT commit? Could you or someone give us an update on '17 targets to finish the recruiting class? Not much insight on the remaining "targets" on the free list at 24/7.

defiantdog
12-29-2016, 12:01 AM

I'm a big fan of Erroll and I'm ready to seem him play, but he mainly played DE in high school. The dude has a lot to learn..... but he knows how to hit..... hard. 2018 will be his year to really settle into the position.

Todd4State
12-29-2016, 01:27 AM
What about the stamps kid at DB? Thought we had high hopes for him.

I think he hurt his shoulder? I wouldn't expect him to be more than a ST guy in 2017 with Peters and four seniors at CB. I could see him being in the mix in 2018 though.

Todd4State
12-29-2016, 01:29 AM
I know Wall came on late and did a good job kicking off, but if Graves doesn't return who is our FG and PAT kicker? Are we still trying to flip the GT commit? Could you or someone give us an update on '17 targets to finish the recruiting class? Not much insight on the remaining "targets" on the free list at 24/7.

Wall would be my guess at kicker. He probably should have started at kicker in light of the fact that Graves had an injured back. I think we have at least a couple of other kickers too who I'm sure will be in the mix. Dan messed up AGAIN not offering MGCC kicker a scholarship and letting him go to Texas.

Todd4State
12-29-2016, 01:32 AM
Gotta find a Left Tackle and some speed on the outside though.

I bet we move Jenkins back to LT for 2018. Champion and Phillips should be ready to play by then along with Story and Calhoun. I could see Eiland and Reese in the mix for starting on the o-line as well by 2018 too.

Reggie Todd allegedly has really good speed. I suppose we will find out soon enough. We really need Couch and Todd to pan out.

Todd4State
12-29-2016, 01:36 AM
Why does Wyatt Roberts as the third string QB not cut it? Have you seen Him Play or have you seen Him in practice? Dan's best attribute is QB evaluation. If He thinks Wyatt is Ok then that is OK by Me. Most HighSchool QB would have a hard time to come in and be better than Him. If Dan chooses to sign another HS QB then it will be Ok with Me-also.

I doubt that Roberts would be on the team if it wasn't for the Last Chance U documentary and Brad Peterson. I like Wyatt Roberts personally but I'm not sure how Dan really feels about him. And he probably does like him- I'm just pointing out that we didn't exactly push to recruit him hard twice.

Todd4State
12-29-2016, 01:42 AM
Good breakdown, I agree. If we want to call 2016 a transition year, I will politely call 2017 a bridge year to possibly being good in 2018. I honestly can't find more than 7 wins with our roster and schedule in 2017. I would set the over/under at 6.

I really hope for a coaching change and scheme change on the defensive side. We need to identify our playmakers early and get them in the right spots. Consider that we had Fitz and Aeris on the sideline vs South Alabama in Game 1 this year. That kind of shit can't happen. Fitz needs to take on a leadership role in the offseason and we need a great off-season in the weight room and with chemistry considering the high number of Jucos coming in. I can't say I feel good about any position group except for QB and RB. Big questions everywhere.

My guess is we will give Sirmon another year. I could be way off on that. If it doesn't work out next year- and I'm not real optimistic about Sirmon to be honest with you- we'll definitely have to make a change at that point. I understand that it's hard to transition to a 3-4 but there were some things that I saw that shouldn't happen no matter what defense we're running that go back to coaching.

The most interesting comment I have seen this offseason from Dan was that he was going to be harder on the team in the offseason. I hope that translates into Random undershooting his prediction for the first time since Dan has been here. But basically next year for us comes down to whether or not our young WR's step up, whether or not our o-line gels, and how quickly our JUCO's get acclimated on defense and maybe to a lesser extent on the o-line as well. Signing guys that have D-I experience plus Phillips getting a head start on the OL by getting in for some bowl practices is encouraging to me.

Todd4State
12-29-2016, 01:49 AM
We will be fine at WR. Gray may not be a 1 WR in your opinion but he can play. Reggie Todd and Mitchell have to be ready to go I will say that. My biggest concern is the OL and us actually knowing what the hell we are doing on defense. We are good enough to compete every where else

As everyone knows, I still feel like he is a slot WR. That's the main problem with Gray is again how we use him. When we throw a hitch, screen, or slant to him he looks good. And yeah, he can beat a non-SEC corner or a SEC corner that is short on deep routes but other than that he is non-existent unless we do a trick play like we did against South Carolina to get him free for a TD. The problem is unless Dan starts Couch and Todd on the outside and not that having inexperienced guys like that on the outside is ideal either- which would shock me- we're stuck with him out of position. The good news is that probably means we will run the ball even more.

Todd4State
12-29-2016, 01:56 AM
The schedule is definitely tougher next year. We could improve by leaps and bounds from this season and still only be 6-6. It's going to be interesting to see how Cohen handles Mullen's extension. If he doesn't get one this year, it may be really hard to justify giving him one next year.

I bet Cohen will give him one since he won the Egg Bowl and the St. Petersburg Bowl even though the St. Petersburg Bowl was ugly and his coaching almost cost us the game. Oh yeah, and Jimmy Sexton is his agent now too which means he isn't being openly rumored for every job in America. He probably won't get a raise though because we had a losing season.

I think Sexton and Cohen are going to be very positive additions to Dan's career. Sexton is going to manage his off the field stuff pretty well and give him better advice on how to handle job rumors, negotiations with MSU, and etc. And I think Cohen is someone that Dan will respect more when it comes to coaching input because Cohen has been there before and has had a lot of success but he's also had to deal with losing seasons and had to make coaching changes and things like that. I definitely hope Cohen talks to Dan about putting the best players on the field and not the guys that have been there the longest and also about the importance of recruiting well and emphasizing that.

1bigdawg
12-29-2016, 11:42 AM
I want us to extend Dan's contract, but let the buyout stay what it would be without the extension.

dawgday166
12-29-2016, 11:44 AM
I want us to extend Dan's contract, but let the buyout stay what it would be without the extension.

My thoughts exactly.

tcdog70
12-29-2016, 11:58 AM
I doubt that Roberts would be on the team if it wasn't for the Last Chance U documentary and Brad Peterson. I like Wyatt Roberts personally but I'm not sure how Dan really feels about him. And he probably does like him- I'm just pointing out that we didn't exactly push to recruit him hard twice.

because at the time we were loaded at QB. But when Staley left, we jumped on Him. I'm not saying He will play much but He is a damn good 3td string back up.

tcdog70
12-29-2016, 12:01 PM
As everyone knows, I still feel like he is a slot WR. That's the main problem with Gray is again how we use him. When we throw a hitch, screen, or slant to him he looks good. And yeah, he can beat a non-SEC corner or a SEC corner that is short on deep routes but other than that he is non-existent unless we do a trick play like we did against South Carolina to get him free for a TD. The problem is unless Dan starts Couch and Todd on the outside and not that having inexperienced guys like that on the outside is ideal either- which would shock me- we're stuck with him out of position. The good news is that probably means we will run the ball even more.

Todd is Kelvin Love with more speed. That's what I heard. And that is great because Love was a very good player.

chef dixon
12-29-2016, 12:04 PM
So does this mean we won't be redshirting Key? Would be a huge mistake

RiverCityDawg
12-29-2016, 12:05 PM
I definitely hope Cohen talks to Dan about putting the best players on the field and not the guys that have been there the longest and also about the importance of recruiting well and emphasizing that.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Cohen is a coach, so he knows Dan is already putting the players on the field that he thinks give the program the best chance to succeed. He also knows Dan already knows the importance of recruiting.

Do you not think Dan already knows those things? You can argue whether he's doing them or not, but to insinuate that he doesn't know those things is ignorant. And to think Cohen would actually talk to Dan about those things is beyond ridiculous. That's just not real life.