PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Turd in Petersburg Bowl Edition

lamont
12-27-2016, 10:30 AM
1. Well, that quickly eradicated all the warm and fuzzies from the Egg Bowl. Miami-Ohio is 25th in the country in Total D and 36th in Scoring D. They quickly reminded us of who we were this season.

2. Please dont wear all maroon again please. This isnt the SWAC or XFL.

3. You playyyyyy to winnnnn the game- not start Sr's. We kill the 1st drive starting Holloway, then we decided Shump needed to play in the 2nd drive. 5 of our first 8 plays were passes. Just had the feel of a coaching staff treating it as a scrimmage and not coming out seriously to win a game. #RTGDF. Fitz/Shump had 30 carries/196 yards. Stop bullshitting around

4. 33/27 run/pass for the game- the last run with us taking a knee. 32/27 is not who we are with Fitz at QB. We didnt try to get outside enough to use our speed advantage. We waited until the damn end of the game to run the speed option- and for some crazy reason- Fitz didnt pitch it. Play was open and a good call at the time. Not a well-called game by any stretch of the imagination by Dan Walsh

5. Our lack of WR's showed. Dropped passes. Next year's #1 WR Donald Gray had 2 catches for 18 yards. Our best pass play of the day was the wheel route to Aeris- beautiful throw and catch. Another good throw and catch to Green inside the 20. But almost half of our completions were sideways quick passes. Very ugly showing.

6. As good as Fitz is running the ball- he has work to do as a passer. He has a cannon and can make some pretty throws, but is still very erratic. He missed some short passes with balls behind open targets. He underthrew an open deep route. He could have easily had 3 picks but caught a break with drops.

7. We didnt allow many points- but they dominated TOP because we struggled to stop them. They had 1 3 and out in 9 possessions. Only punted twice. Ran for 5 yard per carry. No pressure on the QB for most of the day as he went 22/30. I'm just glad they didnt target their tall WR even more than they did.

8. Gerri Green was almost non-existant. Wasted in this defense. He needs to gain 15 pounds or so and put his hand on the ground. He spends wayyyyy too much time in coverage doing something he doesnt do well.

9. WTF Mullen? 4th and 4 from the 22 with 3 mins left and we go for it with a cold QB that hasnt played all game??? Are you serious??? How we won to overcome your stupidity is amazing within itself. You dont pass up a 39 yard FG attempt to make it a 4 point game and force them to score a TD. Altho it possibly could have been an idiot savant move out of the Les Miles bag of tricks. The way M-O moved the ball on that last drive- had they been going for a TD they most likely would have gotten it.

10. A win is a win and I'll take it. But I think yesterday was a good dose of reality for the fanbase. We lose a record-breaking WR, 3 OL starters, a ST warrior, a munchkin, some good guys on the DL, Brown and Coman. Some of these will be replaced rather easily- but some leave some holes causing concern. 6-7 in 2016 was below standards. On to 2017

JoseBrown
12-27-2016, 10:41 AM
My dad, who has always been a 'saying nothing by damned' is preferred than 'criticizing any aspect of State' kinda fan, texted me with 'it's time to end the senior reward program'. I nearly fell out of my chair. If he's critical, then somethings wrong.

DogsofAnarchy
12-27-2016, 11:53 AM
Good analysis RP but you spent to much time on the offense. We have several other problems going into 2017.

1. Defensively, we are just a plain damn mess. A D.C. with no Coordinator experience and participating in the SEC? Yea, that's a smart move. I have NEVER seen an MSU defense play as soft as this one plays.(season ticket holder since 1984) We have better players than what we have shown on defense. Our defensive scheme is awful and the effort wasn't much more. Way to much thinking and not enough reacting or attacking. That is a schematic and communication issue and Sirmon probably can't fix that.

2. Strength and Conditioning. Well, there isn't much to ours. I think that's enough said about this issue.

With that said, we have concluded a semi successful season but just like every other team in this league, we should look to areas that need improvement and make our moves. If you are not trying to get better with added players and better coaching then you are dying on the vine.

1. Well, that quickly eradicated all the warm and fuzzies from the Egg Bowl. Miami-Ohio is 25th in the country in Total D and 36th in Scoring D. They quickly reminded us of who we were this season.

3. You playyyyyy to winnnnn the game- not start Sr's. We kill the 1st drive starting Holloway, then we decided Shump needed to play in the 2nd drive. 5 of our first 8 plays were passes. Just had the feel of a coaching staff treating it as a scrimmage and not coming out seriously to win a game. #RTGDF. Fitz/Shump had 30 carries/196 yards. Stop bullshitting around

4. 33/27 run/pass for the game- the last run with us taking a knee. 32/27 is not who we are with Fitz at QB. We didnt try to get outside enough to use our speed advantage. We waited until the damn end of the game to run the speed option- and for some crazy reason- Fitz didnt pitch it. Play was open and a good call at the time. Not a well-called game by any stretch of the imagination by Dan Walsh

5. Our lack of WR's showed. Dropped passes. Next year's #1 WR Donald Gray had 2 catches for 18 yards. Our best pass play of the day was the wheel route to Aeris- beautiful throw and catch. Another good throw and catch to Green inside the 20. But almost half of our completions were sideways quick passes. Very ugly showing.

6. As good as Fitz is running the ball- he has work to do as a passer. He has a cannon and can make some pretty throws, but is still very erratic. He missed some short passes with balls behind open targets. He underthrew an open deep route. He could have easily had 3 picks but caught a break with drops.

7. We didnt allow many points- but they dominated TOP because we struggled to stop them. They had 1 3 and out in 9 possessions. Only punted twice. Ran for 5 yard per carry. No pressure on the QB for most of the day as he went 22/30. I'm just glad they didnt target their tall WR even more than they did.

8. Gerri Green was almost non-existant. Wasted in this defense. He needs to gain 15 pounds or so and put his hand on the ground. He spends wayyyyy too much time in coverage doing something he doesnt do well.

9. WTF Mullen? 4th and 4 from the 22 with 3 mins left and we go for it with a cold QB that hasnt played all game??? Are you serious??? How we won to overcome your stupidity is amazing within itself. You dont pass up a 39 yard FG attempt to make it a 4 point game and force them to score a TD. Altho it possibly could have been an idiot savant move out of the Les Miles bag of tricks. The way M-O moved the ball on that last drive- had they been going for a TD they most likely would have gotten it.

10. A win is a win and I'll take it. But I think yesterday was a good dose of reality for the fanbase. We lose a record-breaking WR, 3 OL starters, a ST warrior, a munchkin, some good guys on the DL, Brown and Coman. Some of these will be replaced rather easily- but some leave some holes causing concern. 6-7 in 2016 was below standards. On to 2017

MarketingBully
12-27-2016, 11:58 AM
Yeah, that was a shit show yesterday. I'll admit that. Dan Mullen did Les Miles his way to that win yesterday. How do you plan on winning a game by blocking a field goal (something that is very rare to begin with). He was lucky as heck too because they moved the ball to the middle of the field purposely and that is where our rush came from to get penetration to block the kick. If they had kicked it from either of the hashes, it's a lot harder to block. Dan Mullen will be the new Les Miles of the SEC moving forward. But I digress, a win is a win and we won.

tcdog70
12-27-2016, 12:01 PM
biggest screw-up not handing the ball to the Train. If we didn't throw a pass we would have blown their ass away. i think Dan once again assumed Miami would be just a big scrimmage and kinda half-assed through the first half. The Umpire getting in the way killed a good drive. The clip was a bogus call, He contact the defender above the waist and fell to the knees. A case of a Ref not seeing the whole play. I think we get points on both those drives. Why we don't throw more seems routes to the TE is beyond Me. My one hope for next year is please learn how to cover the fricking TE. And if we blitz please blitz gaps not air. Could Joe Lee come in as a consultant and show Us how to Blitz??

HoopsDawg
12-27-2016, 12:05 PM
biggest screw-up not handing the ball to the Train. If we didn't throw a pass we would have blown their ass away. i think Dan once again assumed Miami would be just a big scrimmage and kinda half-assed through the first half. The Umpire getting in the way killed a good drive. The clip was a bogus call, He contact the defender above the waist and fell to the knees. A case of a Ref not seeing the whole play. I think we get points on both those drives. Why we don't throw more seems routes to the TE is beyond Me. My one hope for next year is please learn how to cover the fricking TE. And if we blitz please blitz gaps not air. Could Joe Lee come in as a consultant and show Us how to Blitz??

Aeris had a punishing run for 18 yards. 7 offensive plays and 2 punts later, he still hadn't touched the ball again.

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Aeris had a punishing run for 18 yards. 7 offensive plays and 2 punts later, he still hadn't touched the ball again.

That's just smart play calling raht there *****

Bubb Rubb
12-27-2016, 12:11 PM

The clip was a good call and poor execution by Senior. It doesn't matter that he fell to the knees after the initial contact - he still made contact below the waist - which was a rule change for this year and a point of emphasis for officials.

I agree about not blitzing enough on defense. We are too afraid of blitzing against a mobile QB, so we play soft, and end up getting gashed by a mobile QB anyway. Got to get better here. My biggest issue with the defense is tackling. The difference between the two teams was very apparent yesterday - Miami Ohio did not miss tackles. When they got their hands on someone, they finished the play. We should hire their defensive coordinator.

blacklistedbully
12-27-2016, 12:29 PM
While we did like like shit-on-a-shingle, I will say it looked like M-O's WR's were getting away with pushing off a lot. Most obvious to me was the 4th-down completion to their 6-4 WR deep in our territory. We had good coverage, and he blatantly pushed off our DB to get the room he needed.

On top of that, dropped passes by us probably took 10-21 points off the board for us. If we make those routine catches, then this game is not close.

WinningIsRelentless
12-27-2016, 12:35 PM
Mullen won 6 games so according to you/34 he is a hell of a coach.

HoopsDawg
12-27-2016, 12:56 PM
While we did like like shit-on-a-shingle, I will say it looked like M-O's WR's were getting away with pushing off a lot. Most obvious to me was the 4th-down completion to their 6-4 WR deep in our territory. We had good coverage, and he blatantly pushed off our DB to get the room he needed.

On top of that, dropped passes by us probably took 10-21 points off the board for us. If we make those routine catches, then this game is not close.

Thank goodness the Back Judge didn't call Richie Brown for holding on the 4th down play. And that MO couldn't make an extra point or a FG. And thank goodness their coach played for the FG instead of the TD. Otherwise we wouldn't have won. See what I did there?

GTHOM
12-27-2016, 01:00 PM
As long as Mullen is here we will not blitz very much on defense idk what its gonna take to make people see. Mullen even called the defense at times this year, he also let Brian Johnson call plays. Why the hell aeris williams didnt get the ball 20 times is coaching malpractice

lamont
12-27-2016, 01:02 PM
Mullen won 6 games so according to you/34 he is a hell of a coach.

My predictions are based on the regular season. He didn't win 6

Dawgface
12-27-2016, 01:03 PM

That was amazing. And going for it late in the game as RP pointed out was just plain stupid. We see head scratching decisions year end year out.....no reason to think that will improve. It's just in Mullen's dna.

lamont
12-27-2016, 01:04 PM
If we are to improve defensively- we certainly ha e to find a way to get more pressure

DogsofAnarchy
12-27-2016, 01:10 PM
BDD thinks WAY toooo much at times. Dan is trying to be some passing guru instead of just running the ball down people's throat. We can pass it enough to keep people off our backs. No pun intended. Letting Sirmon and the S&C Coach stay here is absolute LUNACY.

As long as Mullen is here we will not blitz very much on defense idk what its gonna take to make people see. Mullen even called the defense at times this year, he also let Brian Johnson call plays. Why the hell aeris williams didnt get the ball 20 times is coaching malpractice

Johnson85
12-27-2016, 02:37 PM

I don't mind using the game to work on Fitz's passing. Supposedly the huge benefit of a bowl game is the extra practices, and it seems like those practices would be a lot more effective if you let ast least a few of your players put what they worked on in practice into a live game situation. But you can't have a shit defense, and use the game to work on your QB's weaknesses, and spend two early series rewarding seniors rather than playing your best players. You have to 17ing choose two of the three. I'd prefer to not have a shit defense, but as that doesn't seem to be an option, he should have worked on Fitz's weaknesses and found other ways to reward Holloway and Shump.

The only other thing I would say is that our defense is going to put us in the same position next year. I'm not worried about offense. Even with some transition pains on the O-Line, I think we'll be good enough on offense with Fitz and Williams that a decent defense would give us a chance to win 9. I don't see us beating Bama, Auburn, or LSU. Of the 9 winnable games, say five are in the toss-up range and four are where we'd be solid favorites. We should be able to get to 7 wins if our defense is passable.

But I don't see our defense being passable, and without a passable defense, there are a lot of dangerous games on the schedule, and we could easily go 1-2 against La Tech, UK, and BYU.

blacklistedbully
12-27-2016, 02:59 PM
Thank goodness the Back Judge didn't call Richie Brown for holding on the 4th down play. And that MO couldn't make an extra point or a FG. And thank goodness their coach played for the FG instead of the TD. Otherwise we wouldn't have won. See what I did there?

I considered that, and thought they got away with more. In fact, when Richie did that i was thinking to myself, any M-O fans complaining about that should just STFU, given what they'd been getting away with.

As far as the missed point and FG, our kids MADE that happen..it was not gifted.

As I said before, we did look like shit most of the game....but without those dropped passes, we score at least 3 more times, IMO, and without those push-offs, we stop them at least 2 more times. That makes a BIG difference.

See what I did there?

thf24
12-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Although it doesn't excuse our poor play, the refs' flags were apparently stuck in their pockets for most of the game, and if you go back and watch you'll see it favored them more than us. M-O even got away with a pretty obvious false start at one point.

HoopsDawg
12-27-2016, 03:14 PM
I considered that, and thought they got away with more. In fact, when Richie did that i was thinking to myself, any M-O fans complaining about that should just STFU, given what they'd been getting away with.

As far as the missed point and FG, our kids MADE that happen..it was not gifted.

As I said before, we did look like shit most of the game....but without those dropped passes, we score at least 3 more times, IMO, and without those push-offs, we stop them at least 2 more times. That makes a BIG difference.

See what I did there?

What happened is what happened. "If" doesn't mean squat. That's just fandom bs. We were very fortunate to win.

gtowndawg
12-27-2016, 03:30 PM
The 3-4-0 experiment was a bust this year, no doubt about that.

blacklistedbully
12-27-2016, 03:55 PM
What happened is what happened. "If" doesn't mean squat. That's just fandom bs. We were very fortunate to win.

"If" doesn't mean squat in the final score...but it of course matters when analyzing the game after.

Mutt the Hoople
12-27-2016, 04:16 PM

I agreed with Mullen's call. If they were down by 4, we'd have been playing Prevent Defense until they scored the game-winning touchdown with 10 seconds left. By being down 1, we played Prevent until they got to the 20 yard line.

We made them put the game into the hands of someone we had success against...NOT their best player.

blacklistedbully
12-27-2016, 04:37 PM
I agreed with Mullen's call. If they were down by 4, we'd have been playing Prevent Defense until they scored the game-winning touchdown with 10 seconds left. By being down 1, we played Prevent until they got to the 20 yard line.

We made them put the game into the hands of someone we had success against...NOT their best player.

I agreed with the call, but don't think it was some masterful plan by Mullen to lull them into settling for a FG. I think he finally realized our chances of success were better by not letting Graves attempt that FG under pressure.

That was a 39-yarder, and Graves was just 2-of-8 over the previous 8 games from 20-49 yards, including 0-for-2 from 20-29 yards. He was even worse in clutch attempts. Now maybe that was due to injury...maybe choking, or maybe a little of both...but the odds were...with the game potentially on-the-line, Graves was much more likely to miss than make that FG.

Yes...he made one earlier...but that's been the exception to the rule, and it was 4th & 6 instead of 4th & 4.

Now...warmed up or not, a D1 QB should be able to complete a wide-open 7-yard pass. Williams just plain chocked on that play.

Bubb Rubb
12-27-2016, 04:58 PM
I agreed with the call, but don't think it was some masterful plan by Mullen to lull them into settling for a FG. I think he finally realized our chances of success were better by not letting Graves attempt that FG under pressure.

That was a 39-yarder, and Graves was just 2-of-8 over the previous 8 games from 20-49 yards, including 0-for-2 from 20-29 yards. He was even worse in clutch attempts. Now maybe that was due to injury...maybe choking, or maybe a little of both...but the odds were...with the game potentially on-the-line, Graves was much more likely to miss than make that FG.

Yes...he made one earlier...but that's been the exception to the rule, and it was 4th & 6 instead of 4th & 4.

Now...warmed up or not, a D1 QB should be able to complete a wide-open 7-yard pass. Williams just plain chocked on that play.

I disagree about the call. You have to take the FG there. You mentioned that he had just made one - but it was a big one - a go ahead FG from nearly the same distance. Maybe he was more healthy than he had been and would've made it.

I think Mullen's bigger reason for going for it was to keep control of the clock.

In hindsight, it did work out, because if we kick a FG there and Miami comes out slinging for the end zone, they probably win the game. We had no answers defensively. It's obvious that the Miami staff didn't do their homework on us by the way they managed the last couple of minutes on that last drive.

blacklistedbully
12-27-2016, 05:08 PM
I disagree about the call. You have to take the FG there. You mentioned that he had just made one - but it was a big one - a go ahead FG from nearly the same distance. Maybe he was more healthy than he had been and would've made it.

I think Mullen's bigger reason for going for it was to keep control of the clock.

In hindsight, it did work out, because if we kick a FG there and Miami comes out slinging for the end zone, they probably win the game. We had no answers defensively. It's obvious that the Miami staff didn't do their homework on us by the way they managed the last couple of minutes on that last drive.

I also think part of the decision was Mullen figuring the FG might not be enough anyway. Combine that with the fact that, even with that earlier made FG, Graves was 3-for-9 over his past 9 attempts, and I think it was fine to go for it on 4th & 4.

No real excuse for Williams to miss that pass. It's not as if we were asking him to throw a 20-yard out. Sure, he was scrambling to his left....but it was a ridiculously short pass to a wide open receiver. And I can't imagine DW wasn't throwing the ball on the sideline periodically throughout the game. Fitz was getting hammered, so you have to believe we figured there may be a good chance Fitz would have to come out for at least a play at some point.

No, I think Dan was correct in thinking our chances of winning were better going for it and eventually getting a TD than going up by 4 with plenty of time left.

maroonmania
12-27-2016, 05:13 PM
BDD thinks WAY toooo much at times. Dan is trying to be some passing guru instead of just running the ball down people's throat. We can pass it enough to keep people off our backs. No pun intended. Letting Sirmon and the S&C Coach stay here is absolute LUNACY.

Seems we basically keep DCs that perform poorly enough that they get no other job offers. Otherwise they take other jobs.

99jc
12-27-2016, 06:15 PM
Nm

Nm

HoopsDawg
12-27-2016, 06:19 PM
Seems we basically keep DCs that perform poorly enough that they get no other job offers. Otherwise they take other jobs.

You got it.

dawg27
12-27-2016, 06:31 PM
If we are to improve defensively- we certainly ha e to find a way to get more pressure

I agree our problem well our biggest problem to me is defense i been to just about every home game since about 2003, i never seen a defense so soft, nothing about our d is agressive. they ran on us they threw on us, they beat us up and down the field, i know we won but good grief we got a long way to go to be a good team.

Dawg61
12-27-2016, 07:05 PM
If you can't reward your seniors for their 4-5 years of hard work for your program when you're 5-7 playing in the shittiest bowl game we've ever been to vs Miami of Ohio when can you? If you think those seniors wouldn't drag Mullen's name through the mud to whomever will listen for the rest of their lives because he wouldn't let them get snaps during the St. Pete Bowl you're and idiot. I get not playing the seniors that aren't the best players at their position for every other game (save the beginning of the senior game) but not here. I am proud of Dan for playing those guys at the beginning of this game. It's Miami of Ohio, we played our seniors and we still won.

Coursesuper
12-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Deleted

blacklistedbully
12-30-2016, 03:34 PM
If you can't reward your seniors for their 4-5 years of hard work for your program when you're 5-7 playing in the shittiest bowl game we've ever been to vs Miami of Ohio when can you? If you think those seniors wouldn't drag Mullen's name through the mud to whomever will listen for the rest of their lives because he wouldn't let them get snaps during the St. Pete Bowl you're and idiot. I get not playing the seniors that aren't the best players at their position for every other game (save the beginning of the senior game) but not here. I am proud of Dan for playing those guys at the beginning of this game. It's Miami of Ohio, we played our seniors and we still won.

Dammit! Again I have to give you credit for a solid post. Sumbitch! ;)

GTHOM
12-30-2016, 04:21 PM

Hell no

BulldogBear
12-30-2016, 07:13 PM

Setting up an opponent with a chip shot FG so you can block it sounds like a strategy our last coach would've come up with.

We didn't go for it on 4th down in order to set in motion some Jedi mind trick strategy to block a FG!