PDA

View Full Version : Speed plays

FlabLoser
09-06-2013, 09:20 AM
We've got J-Lewis and Holloway who are burners. Where the hell are our speed plays. The jet sweeps, bubble screens, quick slants, and whatever else designed to get a big play out of a burner?

Thick
09-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Those are the plays that Dan has abandoned since TR has taken over. If we run some spread plays like we did in 09 and 10 with the talent we have now, we would have won some more games last year and for sure the opener this year.

slickdawg
09-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Did Holloway even play on Saturday?

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-06-2013, 10:32 AM
We've got J-Lewis and Holloway who are burners. Where the hell are our speed plays. The jet sweeps, bubble screens, quick slants, and whatever else designed to get a big play out of a burner?

I don't know if Mullen just refuses to adapt the offense to our talent, or if he is just really really loyal to Russell.

codeDawg
09-06-2013, 10:41 AM
I don't know if Mullen just refuses to adapt the offense to our talent, or if he is just really really loyal to Russell.

It's a difficult thing to bench your 5th year, multiple record holding, NFL potential having, Senior QB. The concussion may have opened the door for him though.

Goat Holder
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
He's stuck between a rock and a hard place. It's not an enviable situation. You have a senior who can't fully utilize the offense vs. a sophomore who can but isn't quite ready.

Pollodawg
09-06-2013, 10:44 AM
You all don't know how badly I want Dan to trot Dak out there and just run the damned Relf offense that won us nine games in 2010. Dak will run that offense better than Chris did. He'll make throws Chris didn't. I didn't realize the zip Dak could put on the ball. He throws a tighter spiral than TR does.

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I think Russell probably is a great guy...but he lost me after the bowl game. He single-handedly lost that game for us.

FlabLoser
09-06-2013, 10:50 AM
The QB doesn't matter much for getting the ball to J Lewis or Holloway in space close to the LOS. WHY DAN, WHY...can't we get the ball to those guys?

Bothrops
09-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Did Holloway even play on Saturday?

No

PMDawg
09-06-2013, 11:20 AM
You all don't know how badly I want Dan to trot Dak out there and just run the damned Relf offense that won us nine games in 2010. Dak will run that offense better than Chris did. He'll make throws Chris didn't. I didn't realize the zip Dak could put on the ball. He throws a tighter spiral than TR does.

i want us to run the zone read option 50 times on Saturday, and throw it deep the other 20 or so plays. just for practice.

CJDAWG85
09-06-2013, 11:52 AM
I've been saying this for a year now... why do we not run the jet sweep anymore? Even if you don't gain but 3 or 4 yds per time, you are wearing out that D running from side to side

Political Hack
09-06-2013, 12:15 PM
we had 6 with a slant to Tubby but Dak threw it to the outside slant with Morrow who was draped. missed that speed play.

msstate7
09-06-2013, 12:16 PM
we had 6 with a slant to Tubby but Dak threw it to the outside slant with Morrow who was draped. missed that speed play.

I was just happy to see a quick slant. Can't remember the one previous to it

dparker
09-06-2013, 12:56 PM
I think Russell probably is a great guy...but he lost me after the bowl game. He single-handedly lost that game for us.

Nope. The coaches lost it by not keeping Dak in and running the ball.

archdog
09-06-2013, 04:17 PM
It could not fit in the 4" binder that holds Mullen's playbook. Given that the playbook contains at least 3 copies of the counter off tackle. Dan you can toss 2 of those out to make room for the jet sweep.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2013, 07:35 PM
We run a better offense when Dan has a young, inexperienced QB, because we throw quick screens and easy pass plays. Remember when we were just breaking Russell in and every series we threw the quick hitter to Bumphis? We all bitched because we ran it TOO much, but now I would give anything to see us go back to that play. It's like the more experienced the QB is, the more Dan wants to get away from what has been working