PDA

View Full Version : Looking at next year, everyone loves our slot WR's, but I don't...

HoopsDawg
12-26-2016, 08:59 PM
To me, Dear and Mixon are nice playmakers but both look like RB's playing WR. I think they can and will make plays, but i prefer a guy like Ross in the slot. Or Bumphis or even Jameon Lewis. Just add this to the list of questions marks heading into next season albeit a lesser one that other spots.

msstate7
12-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Dear needs to lose 20 lbs. Not sure why you don't like mixon... I think he's gonna be really good

maroonmania
12-26-2016, 09:05 PM
Dear needs to lose 20 lbs. Not sure why you don't like mixon... I think he's gonna be really good

Agreed, Mixon is more of the prototypical slot guy. IMO Dear IS a RB playing slot.

HoopsDawg
12-26-2016, 09:06 PM

I didn't say I didn't like him. But to me, the ideal slot guy on this team is Donald Gray. He would be a matchup night mare. But Gray has to play outside b/c we don't have another outside guy.

msstate7
12-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Myles had success as a slot and struggled out wide. Maybe we move him back to slot

HoopsDawg
12-26-2016, 09:11 PM
Myles had success as a slot and struggled out wide. Maybe we move him back to slot

I like that idea. Mullen has stated in the past that the slot position is THE position in this offense to make plays so it would be nice to have a natural receiver there.

Coach007
12-26-2016, 09:17 PM
I didn't say I didn't like him. But to me, the ideal slot guy on this team is Donald Gray. He would be a matchup night mare. But Gray has to play outside b/c we don't have another outside guy.

We do have outside guys. Couch, Todd, Mitchell, Jackson. Williams is already enrolled.

HoopsDawg
12-26-2016, 09:18 PM
We do have outside guys. Couch, Todd, Mitchell, Jackson. Williams is already enrolled.

Ok.

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 09:18 PM
I like that idea. Mullen has stated in the past that the slot position is THE position in this offense to make plays so it would be nice to have a natural receiver there.

Be nice to have a 6'1" or better burner on the outside IMO.

HoopsDawg
12-26-2016, 09:22 PM

Hell yeah it would. The ideal situation would be to have a Derunnya at the X. A Fred Ross at the Z and a Bumphis in the slot. We took a run at Brandon Martin and Stephen Guidry and whiffed on both. This is after whiffing on AJ Brown and Zach Farrar last year. I do think we found a nice gem in Todd. I have a lot of questions about all other outside WR's on the roster.

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 09:25 PM
Hell yeah it would. The ideal situation would be to have a Derunnya at the X. A Fred Ross at the Z and a Bumphis in the slot. We took a run at Brandon Martin and Stephen Guidry and whiffed on both. This is after whiffing on AJ Brown and Zach Farrar last year. I do think we found a nice gem in Todd. I have a lot of questions about all other outside WR's on the roster.

Well ... those guys are good but I'm talking about another level. Someone as fast as Lucky Whitehead or at a minimum Zeke. None of those guys are that fast.

ETA: Or someone that runs a 4.6 like Jerry Rice did in college, but never got caught from behind and could blow past folks to get deep on them.

Coach007
12-26-2016, 09:35 PM
Well ... those guys are good but I'm talking about another level. Someone as fast as Lucky Whitehead or at a minimum Zeke. None of those guys are that fast.

ETA: Or someone that runs a 4.6 like Jerry Rice did in college, but never got caught from behind and could blow past folks to get deep on them.

Will a 6'3 200 plus running a 4.3 work?

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 09:41 PM
Will a 6'3 200 plus running a 4.3 work?

We will see if that turns out to be true. Part of the "blowing past folks" is excellent, precise route running. And GOAT (Rice) could do it. His work ethic to get better is legendary too.

Which guy you talking about? I think you have mentioned Couch before. True?

HoopsDawg
12-26-2016, 09:43 PM
We will see if that turns out to be true. Part of the "blowing past folks" is excellent, precise route running. And GOAT (Rice) could do it. His work ethic to get better is legendary too.

Yeah, I don't buy the hype anymore. Robbie and Paul touted Joe Morrow as the 2nd coming a few years ago after his scout team work.

maroonmania
12-26-2016, 09:44 PM

Speed at WR at any of the 3 positions is something we are sorely lacking. Its one of the reasons our receivers don't get any separation from opposing DBs.

Coach007
12-26-2016, 09:47 PM

This is a recruit. He showed out at camps. Th only issue is he didn't play until his JR year. So he's been under the radar.

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 09:56 PM
This is a recruit. He showed out at camps. Th only issue is he didn't play until his JR year. So he's been under the radar.

Ok. We'll see. 4.3 is pretty darn quick. Let me know if he signs with us and I'll keep tabs on him.

HoopsDawg
12-26-2016, 09:58 PM

I already regret asking this, but what's his name? Randy Moss?