PDA

View Full Version : So did Mullen ever explain why on Fourth and 4..

Bucky Dog
12-26-2016, 08:29 PM
When Fitz lost his helmet and got banged up he did not:

A. Kick the 39 yard FG

B. Call a TO and give DW a chance to loosen up and call the correct play, or

C. Call a TO so Fitz could go back in the game

I haven't heard yet and wanted to know why he chose neither of these three options.

Really Clark?
12-26-2016, 08:31 PM

A. Kick the 39 yard FG

I haven't heard yet and wanted to know why he chose neither of these three options.

I don't know if Dan ever was asked or if he was what his answer was but C was not an option. Fitz couldn't come back in for 1 play because his helmet came off.

thf24
12-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Does a TO let the player get back in without sitting out a play? Seems like if so that takes a lot of fire out of the rule.

Bucky Dog
12-26-2016, 08:35 PM
Does a TO let the player get back in without sitting out a play? Seems like if so that takes a lot of fire out of the rule.

Yes if you call a TO he can come back in.

TXDawg
12-26-2016, 08:40 PM
Even with a TO, Fitz wasn't coming back in. He limped off the field on that play and was sitting on the training table for the 4th down play.

TO still would've helped DW get loose or given Dan time to call a different play, though.

starkvegasdawg
12-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Mullen doesn't call TO.

maroonmania
12-26-2016, 08:42 PM
Even with a TO, Fitz wasn't coming back in. He limped off the field on that play and was sitting on the training table for the 4th down play.

TO still would've helped DW get loose or given Dan time to call a different play, though.

I was actually kind of surprised that Fitz came back in to take a knee on the last play. Based on that I assume he was not hurt too bad.

LC Dawg
12-26-2016, 09:11 PM

A. Kick the 39 yard FG

I think the answer to A is pretty easy. I'm kind of surprised at how many people are questioning how come we didn't attempt the field goal even though Graves made one earlier. The guy was horrible this year. No need to push our luck.

I seen it dawg
12-26-2016, 09:13 PM
He was saving the timeouts bc he knew he would need them to block the field goal

HoopsDawg
12-26-2016, 09:15 PM
The media rarely asks good questions.

Mullen out-leveled everyone. He knew if we made the FG that Miami would go for the TD. We couldn't keep them out of the endzone but we could block the FG. Mullen is a genius.

Honestly though, Mullen shit the bed. It was a mind-boggling poor decision. I guess he wanted to be sure Graves ended his career on a make. I've said it a million times going for it there and not going for it on 4th and 1 at mid-field are the kind of decisions that make me pull my hair out and question Mullen's game management.

Statecoachingblows**
12-26-2016, 09:41 PM
— On Mississippi State’s late fourth-down play, Mullen said the Bulldogs had the look they wanted, but they just didn’t execute. They considered a field goal, but Mullen said he felt comfortable with the fourth-down play. “I guess I don’t look as dumb as I could have looked,” he said.

Statecoachingblows**
12-26-2016, 09:44 PM
? On Mississippi State?s late fourth-down play, Mullen said the Bulldogs had the look they wanted, but they just didn?t execute. They considered a field goal, but Mullen said he felt comfortable with the fourth-down play. ?I guess I don?t look as dumb as I could have looked,? he said.

maroonmania
12-26-2016, 09:48 PM

Mullen out-leveled everyone. He knew if we made the FG that Miami would go for the TD. We couldn't keep them out of the endzone but we could block the FG. Mullen is a genius.

Honestly though, Mullen shit the bed. It was a mind-boggling poor decision. I guess he wanted to be sure Graves ended his career on a make. I've said it a million times going for it there and not going for it on 4th and 1 at mid-field are the kind of decisions that make me pull my hair out and question Mullen's game management.

I actually thought Graves was just a JR? Is he a SR?

jbjones
12-26-2016, 09:53 PM
I don't know if Dan ever was asked or if he was what his answer was but C was not an option. Fitz couldn't come back in for 1 play because his helmet came off.

Yes he could; From what I heard the ESPN radio guy say, because of the Targeting call Fitz was not required to sit out the play. I want to say I heard the ref say it as well.

If this was explained differently on TV, I don't know because I was driving and listening on XM. The ESPN radio announcers sucked ass, by the way. I bet they were from Nashville*

Really Clark?
12-26-2016, 09:55 PM
Yes he could; From what I heard the ESPN radio guy say, because of the Targeting call Fitz was not required to sit out the play. I want to say I heard the ref say it as well.

If this was explained differently on TV, I don't know because I was driving and listening on XM. The ESPN radio announcers sucked ass, by the way. I bet they were from Nashville*

That was two different plays. The targeting call was earlier in the game.

HoopsDawg
12-26-2016, 09:59 PM
I actually thought Graves was just a JR? Is he a SR?

He's a junior but he is moving on.

jbjones
12-26-2016, 10:03 PM

Ok, thanks for the correction. I must have missed the play in question.

Dawg61
12-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Mullen absolutely brutalized that call he shoulda used a timeout. Damian Williams doesn't overthrow a 6 yard pass and we never question it tho.

HSVDawg
12-26-2016, 10:59 PM
He's a junior but he is moving on.

Jesus. Another dental school departure or something? Why in the hell can't we retain kickers throughout their eligibility? I mean Graves wasn't an All SEC kicker or anything, but he was the best we had and was pretty dependable before the back injury (USA nonwithstanding).

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-27-2016, 12:45 AM
I can see why Mullen went for it. However the execution was just not good with fitz being out. The fg was the more logical call but he saw a td as sealing the game for sure

Todd4State
12-27-2016, 01:38 AM
Jesus. Another dental school departure or something? Why in the hell can't we retain kickers throughout their eligibility? I mean Graves wasn't an All SEC kicker or anything, but he was the best we had and was pretty dependable before the back injury (USA nonwithstanding).

It probably doesn't help when we have "fans" on twitter threatening to punch him in the face.

HSVDawg
12-27-2016, 01:57 AM
It probably doesn't help when we have "fans" on twitter threatening to punch him in the face.

True, but catching hell on social media just comes with the territory these days for all athletes and you do have to have thick skin because there are some real d-bags out there. I hope he has a lot better reason than that for hanging up the cleats.

Really Clark?
12-27-2016, 08:33 AM

I'm pretty sure he is finishing his Engineering degree. I want to say EE but someone correct me if I'm wrong on which discipline

Jack Lambert
12-27-2016, 09:12 AM

Nelson Adams said as much. They noticed on film the guy kicks were low and all they had to do is get their hands up.

Jack Lambert
12-27-2016, 09:15 AM

If you rewatch the game the second time the helmet didn't fall off either. The defensive guy knocked it off with his arm.

Fred Garvin
12-27-2016, 09:29 AM
True, but catching hell on social media just comes with the territory these days for all athletes and you do have to have thick skin because there are some real d-bags out there. I hope he has a lot better reason than that for hanging up the cleats.

The kid has chronic back problems.

Gutter Cobreh
12-27-2016, 10:16 AM

I was listening on XM as well and I 100% agree with you; those announcers were the absolute worst! Between them yelling on every play or referencing the game as David vs. Goliath, it almost made me want to contact ESPN to share my opinion.

The best call of the game was Holloway returned a kick to the 15 yd. line, the play by play says he got stuffed but "stretched" the ball to the 18 yard line....who knew Holloway could stretch the ball 9 additional feet????

Really Clark?
12-27-2016, 10:21 AM
I was listening on XM as well and I 100% agree with you; those announcers were the absolute worst! Between them yelling on every play or referencing the game as David vs. Goliath, it almost made me want to contact ESPN to share my opinion.

The best call of the game was Holloway returned a kick to the 15 yd. line, the play by play says he got stuffed but "stretched" the ball to the 18 yard line....who knew Holloway could stretch the ball 9 additional feet????

He has long flexible arms for his size***

DanDority
12-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Mullen doesn't call TO.

With all the TO we have saved in games, we have probably accumulated close to 100. Someone should ask him if we can trade some in for points against Bama.