PDA

View Full Version : Hoyett, Simmons, and Adams

Coach007
12-26-2016, 03:28 PM
I was going to post a "****" Mullen thread and join the pity party, but the sun is out, the sky is BEAUTIFUL and WE WON!

Those 3 DLs will make it hard on the incoming JUCOs to start. I can see a 1a and 1b talent situation in the front 7.

Hoyett shed several double teams to make the stop.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2016, 03:32 PM
I must have missed all that QB pressure and run stopping we did today. I thought the DL was trash

I seen it dawg
12-26-2016, 03:35 PM
I hope the jucos come in and shake shit up, piss our current players off. That's what should happen. These soft ****ers in our program right now should be mad that these jucos are coming in. Because it's a loud statement that we don't believe that the guys going home on the plane today can get it done. Well to you returning players prove you can. Toughen up buttercups.

Coach007
12-26-2016, 03:41 PM
I must have missed all that QB pressure and run stopping we did today. I thought the DL was trash

Must have. 

Coach007
12-26-2016, 03:42 PM
I hope the jucos come in and shake shit up, piss our current players off. That's what should happen. These soft ****ers in our program right now should be mad that these jucos are coming in. Because it's a loud statement that we don't believe that the guys going home on the plane today can get it done. Well to you returning players prove you can. Toughen up buttercups.

It should create a lot of competition!

msstate7
12-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Adams -- 3 tackles
Hoyett -- 3 tackles, 1 tfl
Simmons -- 2 tackles

Not a bad effort for this group. Hopefully they, along with Thomas have a big offseason and can deliver next season

Coach007
12-26-2016, 03:44 PM
Adams -- 3 tackles
Hoyett -- 3 tackles, 1 tfl
Simmons -- 2 tackles

Not a bad effort for this group. Hopefully they, along with Thomas have a big offseason and can deliver next season

Hoyett may be better than Simmons. But for such a young group, they went after it today.

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 03:47 PM
I honestly don't see how a 3 -4 puts any pressure on a QB. You still have one center, two guards, and two tackles kept in to block these three unless you are UNM with about half the OL downfield blocking on pass plays. Right?

Coach007
12-26-2016, 04:01 PM
I honestly don't see how a 3 -4 puts any pressure on a QB. You still have one center, two guards, and two tackles kept in to block these three unless you are UNM with about half the OL downfield blocking on pass plays. Right?

From different blitz packages. It really helps defend the spread. Extra cover/pass hybrid LB. Look at Bama. 2 gap 3-4.

Bass Chaser
12-26-2016, 04:05 PM

This is exactly what I was wondering. From what I gather your pressure comes from the LBs in the 3-4, but you should be able to bring it from anywhere by moving folks around. Your DL have to be able to eat up double teams. Would like to see someone talk about pros vs. cons of the 3-4?

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 04:06 PM
We don't have Bama's players of course. I doubt a 3 - 4 especially under Sirmon will ever be successful for us. Thanks for your response to my questions. Hope I am proved wrong in 2017. Hail State and have a great 2017.

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 04:07 PM
From different blitz packages. It really helps defend the spread. Extra cover/pass hybrid LB. Look at Bama. 2 gap 3-4.

Bama stunts a lot with their Dlinemen too. We almost never run stunts. And never have regardless of who the D coordinator is/was.

1bigdawg
12-26-2016, 04:13 PM

Most teams that run a 3-4 rush 4 people almost every play. What makes it dynamic is that they alternate the 4th rusher so that it could be any one of the LBs and sometimes a DB. That way the OL never knows who to block before the play starts causing confusion. We almost always rush the viper as our 4th, making it easier to block.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2016, 04:19 PM
We don't have Bama's players of course. I doubt a 3 - 4 especially under Sirmon will ever be successful for us. Thanks for your response to my questions. Hope I am proved wrong in 2017. Hail State and have a great 2017.

We had some personnel issues this year, but next year we'all have 17 or 18 former 4 or 5 star talents on defense. We don't have Bama players, but we'll certainly have the talent next year to have a good defense. No excuses.

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 04:21 PM
I watched the "rush" a lot today and saw a three man rush with 8 dropping into a soft zone with no regard for the TE too many times as per our SOP most of the year. JMO.

Ari Gold
12-26-2016, 04:25 PM
S&C coach. 2 things better happen . He better push these players like never before or CDM needs to push his ass out the door..
there is going to be a lot of talent on defense next year

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 04:29 PM
Isn't our former S&C Coach at UConn which fired their HC today?

Really Clark?
12-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Isn't our former S&C Coach at UConn which fired their HC today?

He is but he also coordinates their entire strength program for 24 sports at UConn as well as developing the strength program for the football team.

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 04:37 PM
Maybe their new coach will want his own guy. How do you think our S&C program was for the FB team this year? I have no idea.

Coach007
12-26-2016, 04:40 PM

Do we at any position? Who does have bama's players all across the board? Are you listening to yourself? So abandon a defense because we don't recruit as well as the top program in the nation.

1- We can stick to a 4-3 and struggle vs the spread or we can switch and better handle it. Therefore handling most teams that we will face.
2- We don't know what Sirmon can do because it's the first year this team has played a 3-4 under Mullen. Sirmon doesn't have a year under him in recruiting players he may need.

Bama switched to a 3-4 in 2007. Bama ranked 31st that season. The next season they jumped 3, then 2, and have pretty much stayed in the top from that point. Their 2007 classhad no 5 stars and only 3 4 stars.

Let's look at leading up to that change.

2004, no 5 stars and only 1 4 star signed(WR)
2005, no 5 stars, 1 4 star signed (SDE)
2006, no 5 stars, 1 4 star signed(RB)

Already told you 2007...

2008 1 5 star on defense..CB 9 4star players signed

So let's talk about those players that Bama gets and we don't? The difference wasn't just in coaching, but it was also the switch. Sirmon is working with far better talent than Bama had making the switch.

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Here's to expecting the JUCO D players we have signed to fit into an aggressive, successfully run D in 2017. I think the turnover on the D staff has killed us the past few years. Hoping Sirmon and the D get it done next year. Hail State!

Coach007
12-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Here's to expecting the JUCO D players we have signed to fit into an aggressive, successfully run D in 2017. I think the turnover on the D staff has killed us the past few years. Hoping Sirmon and the D get it done next year. Hail State!

100% agreed!

msstate7
12-26-2016, 05:09 PM

I really think the infusion of talent and depth at safety and dline will make a big difference next season. I'm a little concerned with LB though... Thompson has to be ready to play.

redstickdawg
12-26-2016, 05:20 PM
There are fundamental issues with the lack of aggressiveness of the defense that are related to coaching and have gotten progressively worse over time. The improvement will only come with some changes in the staffing, Sirmon.

Tripp McNeely
12-26-2016, 05:32 PM
I really think the infusion of talent and depth at safety and dline will make a big difference next season. I'm a little concerned with LB though... Thompson has to be ready to play.

With all due respect to the person Richie Brown is or his love and contributions to this program...no way could Thompson play any worse than Richie did this year

msstate7
12-26-2016, 05:38 PM
With all due respect to the person Richie Brown is or his love and contributions to this program...no way could Thompson play any worse than Richie did this year
I agree; but if we don't upgrade over Richie this season though, we won't be much better defensively next season

Tripp McNeely
12-26-2016, 05:57 PM
I agree; but if we don't upgrade over Richie this season though, we won't be much better defensively next season

Thompson seems infinitely more off true 3-4 ilb type...a Reggie Ragland/Reuben foster-type...not that skill level, but much better suited for the position

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 06:08 PM
I though Richie was pretty good in years past in a 4 - 3. He never looked like a fit for our great 3 - 4 this year.

Jack Lambert
12-26-2016, 06:19 PM
We should have score way more but the drop passes hurt but on the other hand the way Miami was going up and down the field they should have scored more.

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 06:26 PM
Well, a win is a win, but I hate the bend but don't break, even when we hold a MAC "powerhouse" to only 16 points.

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 06:29 PM
BTW, Jack, the original Jack Lambert stated that they should just put the QB in a dress in the NFL years ago. The concussion problem has changed the D we used to watch for good measure health wise. Jack Tatum and the Morgan boys at State would surely have to change their safety play in today's game.

sorrydog
12-26-2016, 07:16 PM
So our offense can't be learned until our players have been in it for at least 2 years.
And our defense can't be learned after spring, summer, and 12 complete games, if ever.
Forget stars, we need to be recruiting based on ACT scores!

Homedawg
12-26-2016, 07:17 PM
Bama stunts a lot with their Dlinemen too. We almost never run stunts. And never have regardless of who the D coordinator is/was.

We stunted a lot today. go watch

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 07:19 PM
We stunted a lot today. go watch

I didn't see a lot of it but then at times I was only half way paying attention today. Maybe we'll start doing more of it in the future then.

Coach007
12-26-2016, 07:43 PM
So our offense can't be learned until our players have been in it for at least 2 years.
And our defense can't be learned after spring, summer, and 12 complete games, if ever.
Forget stars, we need to be recruiting based on ACT scores!

Funny.

Fitz is a SO. set some records and is the over leader in the SEC.
Dear is a SO....
Green is a Fr
Mixon is a SO
Williams is a SO
Thomas is a FR
Moon is a FR
Jackson, SO
Jenkins ...SO
Johnson is a SO

Red Sox Dawg
12-26-2016, 07:59 PM
You have to have badass LB's to be successful in the 3-4 defense. 250 - 260 lbs. that can run and tackle. We have to get those guys to make this work. I don't know if we have those guys on the roster.

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 08:01 PM
You have to have badass LB's to be successful in the 3-4 defense. 250 - 260 lbs. that can run and tackle. We have to get those guys to make this work. I don't know if we have those guys on the roster.

Those are the inside guys. BMac fits that mold. You just need 2 of them. You don't have to be that big on the outside.

FISHDAWG
12-26-2016, 08:15 PM

Joe Lee Dunn disagrees

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 08:17 PM
Joe Lee Dunn disagrees

Ha! I meant while Dan has been HC.

I seen it dawg
12-26-2016, 09:11 PM
We have a softness in our program that has gotten worse every year for the last 8....

Jacksondevildog
12-26-2016, 09:12 PM
It's called complacency. It begins at the top. I believe that Mullen has gotten soft and rich in Starkville because he understands that he can be marginally successful at State and keep the majority of the fan base happy. We don't play the game in recruiting and we are basically recruiting with one hand tied behind our back. We call it development, but I call it somewhat lazy on the recruiting trail. If we could marginally improve our recruiting on the lines, we could be pretty good. Mississippi State is a blue collar school and football program. When we cannot run the football with authority AND stop the run, the fan base loses hope and confidence. It's in our DNA.

We have a softness in our program that has gotten worse every year for the last 8....

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 09:15 PM
It's called complacency. It begins at the top. I believe that Mullen has gotten soft and rich in Starkville because he understands that he can be marginally successful at State and keep the majority of the fan base happy.

All he have to do is win 5 - 7 every year with an occasional 8 or 9 win season. Hope he's not satisfied with that. We'll find out over the next 2 years.

Coach007
12-26-2016, 09:19 PM

Does that include the OL that shoved most of the SEC and nation around?

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 09:21 PM

Huh?? Not sure what this means. You talking about Bama?

Jacksondevildog
12-26-2016, 09:22 PM
Our OL against quality teams was abused. We also struggled establishing the run against some inferior talented teams this year. To act like there is no issue with our OL is ridiculous. The mobility of our QB as well as the Holloway getting injured forcing Mullen's hand to play Williams made our running game better and hid our OL deficiencies.

I seen it dawg
12-26-2016, 09:28 PM

Program means program. What did I type that was confusing?

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 09:33 PM
Program means program. What did I type that was confusing?

Surely he can't be talking about our Oline. Unless he meant outside LB (Leo)? And I'm not sure Leo was that good.

Coach007
12-26-2016, 09:44 PM
Huh?? Not sure what this means. You talking about Bama?

He stated that starting 8 years ago we have become softer and softer every year. I recall an OL blowing out so great DLs and LBs.. like Dillon Day. Wouldn't call them soft.

It's the same thing with WRs. "We have the worst wrs under Mullem and Billy G'... Let's exclude the actual facts.

I seen it dawg
12-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Our program as a whole gets softer every year. Is that better? I'm not gonna cherry pick every single player in the roster for each season. Our PROGRAM is ****ing soft period. And it gets worse every year.

Coach007
12-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Our program as a whole gets softer every year. Is that better? I'm not gonna cherry pick every single player in the roster for each season. Our PROGRAM is ****ing soft period. And it gets worse every year.

So going from 3-9 year after year to #1 in the nation is done by getting softer? I saw Fitz just today taking a beating doing what's asked of him. I think he's the top in the SEC isn't he?

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 09:53 PM
He stated that starting 8 years ago we have become softer and softer every year. I recall an OL blowing out so great DLs and LBs.. like Dillon Day. Wouldn't call them soft.

It's the same thing with WRs. "We have the worst wrs under Mullem and Billy G'... Let's exclude the actual facts.

Ok ... I'll buy that. That team wasn't soft. But we have gotten much softer over the last 2. Need to get the mojo back.

Coach007
12-26-2016, 09:54 PM
Ok ... I'll buy that. That team wasn't soft. But we have gotten much softer over the last 2. Need to get the mojo back.

See, that I'm ok with!

Dawgface
12-26-2016, 09:57 PM

Don't bang your head against the door. Anyone with any objective eyes can see what you are saying.

I seen it dawg
12-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Don't bang your head against the door. Anyone with any objective eyes can see what you are saying.

Yeah I know. It's amazing.

Maroons
12-27-2016, 12:14 AM
Yeah I know. It's amazing.

No doubt we need some toughness. We have to get meaner next year. Mullen has even mentioned it in regards to the offseason.

But you are flat out wrong to say we've gotten softer for 8 straight years. You really think the 2014 team was soft? And it was softer than 2012 and 2013? Nonsense.

RougeDawg
12-27-2016, 01:28 AM

And do you think it is coincidence that the softness has progressed as Dan was looking for a ticket out?

dawgday166
12-27-2016, 01:36 AM
And do you think it is coincidence that the softness has progressed as Dan was looking for a ticket out?

No clue. Just know it needs to stop. If you gonna get anywhere remotely in the vicinity of Bama's stratosphere (which we should strive for) then you have to get tough with what you have. If we were to get remotely in that vicinity we probably win 10 games maybe 11 (counting bowl game). Just like 2014.

We have backs, we have QB, we don't have the OL or the D or maybe WRs either. Gotta work hard to get those figured out. I ain't seeing it next year, but think it could be remotely (and I mean remotely) possible in 2018. Not if we keep playing 2 hand touch next year on D and OL tho. If we smacking folks hard and knocking the crap out of them ... then maybe.

lamont
12-27-2016, 01:40 AM

say what?

Bama, LSU, and Auburn stuck it in our ass this year....just because A&M, Kentucky, UPig, and OM were not very good on D doesnt make our OL any better.

And we just lost 3 starters from it

Coach007
12-27-2016, 02:04 AM
say what?

Bama, LSU, and Auburn stuck it in our ass this year....just because A&M, Kentucky, UPig, and OM were not very good on D doesnt make our OL any better.

And we just lost 3 starters from it

For the second time in this thread, we are talking about the 2017 upcoming season.