PDA

View Full Version : Peter Sirmon: Innovator of the Cover Zero Defense

Reason2succeed
12-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Help me describe this groundbreaking approach to defense.

First the three or four down linemen do not aggressively rush the passer. They simply want to hold space and allow the QB more time to throw.

The linebackers wander around in space like they are lost in order to confuse not only the QB and OL but themselves.

Most importantly the secondary plays off of their man, making them seem as open as possible. This is especially the case if the receiver is a TE. Once the receiver has caught the ball (and if played correctly they WILL catch the ball) everyone rushes in to make a half-hearted arm tackle followed by bitching and complaining to their teammates.

There you go. The basics of the Cover Zero defense.

TaleofTwoDogs
12-26-2016, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the info, here's the video

https://youtu.be/Mq6JtvP4_Do

CadaverDawg
12-26-2016, 03:27 PM
Sirmon needs to be fired. He is infecting our defense with a softness & lack of aggression. It's a PAC12 defense that will take years to cleanse if we let this continue another few years

NCDawg
12-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Sirmon needs to be fired. He is infecting our defense with a softness & lack of aggression. It's a PAC12 defense that will take years to cleanse if we let this continue another few years

I don't disagree. We're not too far from a Ron Cooper style defense.

Martianlander
12-26-2016, 04:57 PM

I'm afraid I have to agree. Going another year just to say we didn't switch co-ordinaters won't help us. The lack of tackling bothers me more than the scheme, which I'm not crazy about.

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 05:17 PM
Hey, now Sirmon is an experienced DC. You get what you pay for.

bulldawg28
12-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Playing the best players might help him. Allowing players to miss 40% of tackles should be an automic benching.

SailingDawg
12-26-2016, 10:39 PM
I don't claim to understand football schemes and such, but our D gives away a 15-20 yard pass over the middle every time. Like the one Kentucky nailed to give them a chance at the game winner. There were many completions today (and throughout the season) with four defenders circling the receiver. So yeah, this is not good.

dawgday166
12-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Playing the best players might help him. Allowing players to miss 40% of tackles should be an automic benching.

Is that Sirmon or is that Dan? We know Dan loves to play his seniors. That's the only reason Richie saw the field after about the 3rd or 4th game IMO.

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 10:42 PM
Bend but don't break. Rush three and drop 8 in a soft zone. Killed us all year.

Goldendawg
12-26-2016, 10:45 PM
We will have a lot of Sr. CB's next year including Giles, Graham, and Cleveland. I hope the best see the field regardless of class standing and years in the program.

Bully13
12-26-2016, 11:01 PM
Bend but don't break. Rush three and drop 8 in a soft zone. Killed us all year.

Yep. This among other things killed us. Mullen gambled on sirmon. Doesn't look like he was ready/up for the gig/promotion.