PDA

View Full Version : Bahamasbowl

preachermatt83
12-23-2016, 03:00 PM
I bet there is not 2500 fans there. Pathetic. There are too many bowls.

Big4Dawg
12-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Can you explain why there are too many bowls? It's a football game. Why is more football bad? I don't understand why people say this. Who cares there are 5-7 teams. Don't watch it.

codeDawg
12-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Can you explain why there are too many bowls? It's a football game. Why is more football bad? I don't understand why people say this. Who cares there are 5-7 teams. Don't watch it.

Bingo. The kids have fun. The fans have fun. I get to watch college football 2:45 on a Friday before Christmas when I'm at home hanging with the fam.

The only losers are people who like to sound tough.

RocketDawg
12-23-2016, 04:01 PM
There are too many bowls for most of them to have any significance. And the playoff system may have made that even worse. But on the positive side, we get to see teams we'd never see otherwise, and teams like Eastern Michigan and Old Dominion get to have a television game on a major network.

As far as attendance goes ... there may not be many more fans at our game.

Remember some years ago when there were fewer bowls, but they still had two the same day in the same stadium in Hawaii (they may still do that as far as I know)? It looked like there were more people on the field than in the stands for either game ... but the players and staff got a good trip out of the deal. And I suppose the advertisers at least broke even or they wouldn't have sponsored the game.

defiantdog
12-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Are you going to our game?

preachermatt83
12-23-2016, 04:20 PM
They become of no importance.. that's why nobody shows up.

preachermatt83
12-23-2016, 04:21 PM
Are you going to our game?

Nope, bc of this very reason. It doesn't matter. It has very little significance.

maroonmania
12-23-2016, 04:22 PM

Exactly, what is the alternative? Sitting at home watching Days of our Lives? Give me a football game any day.

QuadrupleOption
12-23-2016, 04:29 PM

There are exactly 3 postseason games that matter. Everyone else is playing just to play. Maybe we should get rid of everything but the playoffs. I'm sure that would be GREAT for college football*******

Cooterpoot
12-23-2016, 04:30 PM
They only signifant game left is the championship game.
So no need to watch anything else?

maroonmania
12-23-2016, 05:02 PM
They only signifant game left is the championship game.
So no need to watch anything else?

Yea, and I'm perturbed that people are blaming the playoff, including Nick Saban, for guys sitting out bowl games to protect their health for the draft. The REAL reason is that its a new day where players put their own individual interests above the interests of their team, its not because the playoffs has made other bowl games irrelevant. Most bowl games have ALWAYS been irrelevant. Before the BCS only maybe 3 or 4 bowls at most had any true impact on who would be crowned National Champion. In the BCS era really only one bowl game meant anything, and now with the playoff era you at least get 2 bowls that mean something. The rest are essentially exhibitions but its ALWAYS been that way.

shannondawg
12-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Other than the bowl practice for the young guys, and the entertainment and gifts before the game for the players make it nice for them, not so much the fans, I quit going several years ago, mainly because it was just a headache getting reservations, parking and so on.

Some might even say that my age had something to with it.

Liverpooldawg
12-23-2016, 05:40 PM

Then don't watch.

defiantdog
12-23-2016, 05:45 PM
Other than the bowl practice for the young guys, and the entertainment and gifts before the game for the players make it nice for them, not so much the fans, I quit going several years ago, mainly because it was just a headache getting reservations, parking and so on.

Some might even say that my age had something to with it.

I feel you..... I don't have a problem dragging the family to these out of town games. I'm taking advantage of this one since my parents live under 2 hours away in the villages. Gives me an opportunity to see the game, and my kids get to harass their grandparents.

DownwardDawg
12-23-2016, 06:02 PM
Playoffs and St. Petersburg bowl is all that matters!!!!

Liverpooldawg
12-23-2016, 06:04 PM
I like them all, it's college football.

TaleofTwoDogs
12-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Sorry, Preacher, looks like you misread your congregation's mood on this subject, but fear not, for next week there will probably be a long thread on the evils of too many bowls.

Howboutdemdogs
12-23-2016, 07:43 PM
The problem with Bahama Bowl is the timing. There is not enough time for fans to achieve a passport. Although the Bahamas will except just about any legal US document for entry, it is the airlines that require you to have a passport, mostly for re-entry into the US. The teams are on charter planes, and they can have all the logistics worked out with the two governments prior to the game. So, if a fan does not have a current passport, unless they go by cruise ship, they are screwed.

RocketDawg
12-23-2016, 08:04 PM
The Armed Forces Bowl is pretty good tonight. No defense at all, but lots of scoring and it's close so pretty interesting to watch.

gravedigger
12-23-2016, 09:44 PM
I once went to a church where there weren't many people there. Pathetic. There are too many churches

preachermatt83
12-23-2016, 11:16 PM
I once went to a church where there weren't many people there. Pathetic. There are too many churches

There are too many churches... in certain areas. Too few in others. I could give you a very long explanation as to why there are so many in many areas, and why it's not a good thing.

Todd4State
12-24-2016, 02:43 AM

I never understood the complaints about there being too many bowls either. I'm not that big on participation trophy's and things like that but I'm OK with teams like Temple and Army and heck even MSU getting a chance to be in the spotlight for a little bit over the holidays. I think that's the really neat thing about college football is that you don't necessarily have to be Alabama and win the NC to finish the season on a good note. It's not like whoever wins the Popeye's Chicken Bowl is getting the same amount of glory as the National Champ on anything like that. There are a lot of meaningless games during the regular season too. There are a lot of good things that come out of bowls- lot of charity events surrounding them, kids in hospitals get to hang out with football players some of whom will end up in the NFL, and some of the college football players growing up didn't get the opportunity to go to a place like Busch Garden's or Disney World and playing football and going to a bowl has allowed them a chance to do that and I'm sure it means a lot to those players. Plus a lot of them get gifts and things legally like our players got to go on a shopping spree at Belk last year and I think that was probably a big deal to them.

And I do enjoy watching the bowls because during the year I'm so focused on MSU and the SEC and I enjoy checking out some of these smaller schools and I love watching the service academies especially if they are playing some power five school and they are trying to take them down running their flexbone schemes. I used to love watching Hawaii on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day when they had June Jones running the old school run and shoot. And then I love New Year's Day because you get all of the big match ups like SEC/Big 10 and you get to see Michigan and Florida go at it or hopefully MSU and someone in the Sugar Bowl.

I'm fine with a playoff but I think the bowls should definitely stay.

Todd4State
12-24-2016, 02:49 AM
I feel you..... I don't have a problem dragging the family to these out of town games. I'm taking advantage of this one since my parents live under 2 hours away in the villages. Gives me an opportunity to see the game, and my kids get to harass their grandparents.

I do try to go to our bowl game if I can. Unfortunately the St. Petersburg Bowl is among the worst as far as logistics for me. Behind maybe the Bahamas Bowl and the Hawaii Bowl. If we went to the Las Vegas Bowl it would have been a no brainer. I will admit that how we finish the factors my decision as well.

TUSK
12-24-2016, 04:01 AM
I think we should have about 62 bowls...

#participationtrophy

Commercecomet24
12-24-2016, 04:09 AM
I love bowl season. You get to see teams you don't get to see often and most of the games are pretty exciting. What else you gonna watch during Christmas holidays? Hallmark movies? Give me college football any time!

Dawgbite
12-24-2016, 10:47 AM
I think we should have about 62 bowls...

#participationtrophy

Here's a thought. After the regular season and conference championship games, take all the D1 teams and group them by record, say 11-12 win teams together, 9-10 win teams together and so on. Randomly pair teams up and have the games on campus, use rpi to determine home field. Half the fans get one more game they can easily attend, we get one more game to watch against a similar team, and some small undefeated school is finally going to get a shot at the Bamas and Ohio States of the world.

msbulldog
12-24-2016, 11:07 AM

I like your way of thinking.

msbulldog
12-24-2016, 11:26 AM
I never understood the complaints about there being too many bowls either. I'm not that big on participation trophy's and things like that but I'm OK with teams like Temple and Army and heck even MSU getting a chance to be in the spotlight for a little bit over the holidays. I think that's the really neat thing about college football is that you don't necessarily have to be Alabama and win the NC to finish the season on a good note. It's not like whoever wins the Popeye's Chicken Bowl is getting the same amount of glory as the National Champ on anything like that. There are a lot of meaningless games during the regular season too. There are a lot of good things that come out of bowls- lot of charity events surrounding them, kids in hospitals get to hang out with football players some of whom will end up in the NFL, and some of the college football players growing up didn't get the opportunity to go to a place like Busch Garden's or Disney World and playing football and going to a bowl has allowed them a chance to do that and I'm sure it means a lot to those players. Plus a lot of them get gifts and things legally like our players got to go on a shopping spree at Belk last year and I think that was probably a big deal to them.

And I do enjoy watching the bowls because during the year I'm so focused on MSU and the SEC and I enjoy checking out some of these smaller schools and I love watching the service academies especially if they are playing some power five school and they are trying to take them down running their flexbone schemes. I used to love watching Hawaii on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day when they had June Jones running the old school run and shoot. And then I love New Year's Day because you get all of the big match ups like SEC/Big 10 and you get to see Michigan and Florida go at it or hopefully MSU and someone in the Sugar Bowl.

I'm fine with a playoff but I think the bowls should definitely stay.

Nailed it Todd, if there were too many bowls the law of supply and demand would take over. The lesser bowls would not find sponsors or advertisers and they would go away. All these bowls offer smaller schools extra money, they would otherwise not get, ergo not having to support athletics from their general funds. If you watched The Armed Forces bowl yesterday, that was fun football. I live 30 miles from La. Tech and that was the first time this year I had seen them play. I don't watch all the bowl games, but it is wonderful that we have the option this time of year to get our fill of football. The next 9 months we are all going to be biatching because there is no college football. Hail State! Merry Christmas!

louisvilledawg
12-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Another reason there could be a small crowd for the bowl game:

IT'S IN THE BAHAMAS.

Logic people. Use it.

msbulldog
12-24-2016, 11:35 AM
There are too many churches... in certain areas. Too few in others. I could give you a very long explanation as to why there are so many in many areas, and why it's not a good thing.

Preacher the only thing I have to say about that comment that you are responding to, is that I'm glad I'm a long way away from the person commenting when the lightning strikes.

Jarius
12-24-2016, 12:38 PM
Someone that spends Countless hours on a message board talking about college football complaining about too much football. Better enjoy these bowls while you can. Not too much longer before the only thing on tv is NBA basketball and MLB. I guess everyone needs something to complain about.

Quaoarsking
12-24-2016, 03:08 PM
I'm fine with the number of bowls, but I would spread them around more. There's plenty of American cities that seem like logical places for a bowl game that don't have one.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/12/Bowl_games.jpg/625px-Bowl_games.jpg

Rather than just add more bowls and bring in more teams, I would get rid of:
--The Bahamas Bowl. Nobody cares about American football in the Bahamas. Also, as long as the FBS is an American only league, don't bring back the Toronto bowl or add bowls in Australia, Ireland, Cuba, the United Arab Emirates, etc., like they've proposed.
--The New Orleans Bowl. The Superdome doesn't need a second bowl.
--The Russell Athletic Bowl. Orlando doesn't need a second bowl.
--The Cure Bowl. Orlando doesn't need a third bowl.
--The Miami Beach Bowl. Miami doesn't need a second bowl.
--The Poinsettia Bowl. San Diego doesn't need a second bowl.
--The Cactus Bowl. Phoenix/Tempe doesn't need a second bowl.
--One of the extra DFW bowls (either Heart of Dallas or Armed Forces)

Get rid of these 8 bowls and you could have:
--Magnolia Bowl in Jackson, MS
--Diamond Bowl in Little Rock, AR
--Medal of Honor Bowl in Charleston, SC (already in the works)
--Twin City Bowl in Minneapolis, MN (NFL dome)
--Crossroads Bowl in Indianapolis, IN (NFL dome)
--Gateway Bowl in St. Louis, MO (formerly NFL dome)
--Longhorn Bowl in Austin, TX
--Emerald Bowl in Seattle, WA (NFL stadium)

You could also allow more teams to move up to the FBS -- Liberty has been trying to move up and can't get into a conference, and the Dakota/Montana schools are all as good as a MAC/Sun Belt type team. More FBS teams could open up more bowl locations like Denver, Chicago, Tallahassee, Oklahoma, etc.

DudyDawg
12-24-2016, 03:19 PM
Lol a bowl in jackson.

RiverCityDawg
12-24-2016, 03:37 PM

You should have seen the reaction from the ODU coach and players after they had won. It was the program's first bowl and consequently first bowl win. You would have thought they won the super bowl. They had a good season relative to their program and winning that bowl game was a huge deal. Great experience for that team. I don't understand why you would want to take that away from those guys just because you don't like that the stadium isn't filled or you don't want to watch them play. College football is so much about the money, why take away things like bowl games which are actually good and rewarding for the players?

maroonmania
12-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Most of these bowls are not very worried about filling the stadium up. The bulk of the bowl revenue is coming from sponsors and the TV agreement.

LC Dawg
12-24-2016, 05:26 PM
I understand the argument that there are too many bowls but when I see the videos of our guys in St. Petersburg I think it's great that they get to relax and enjoy themselves and get to play another game. I think we tend to forget that these guys are college students and there is a lot of pressure on them. Bowls are rewards for hard work and I like the way they include hard work in the classroom for the 5 win teams. I don't think the participation trophy argument against too many bowls is necessarily appropriate because every team that plays college football doesn't get to go to a bowl game.

Quaoarsking
12-24-2016, 09:53 PM
Lol a bowl in jackson.

Lol a bowl in montgomery/bahamas/boca raton/boise/etc.

HSVDawg
12-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Yea, and I'm perturbed that people are blaming the playoff, including Nick Saban, for guys sitting out bowl games to protect their health for the draft. The REAL reason is that its a new day where players put their own individual interests above the interests of their team, its not because the playoffs has made other bowl games irrelevant. Most bowl games have ALWAYS been irrelevant. Before the BCS only maybe 3 or 4 bowls at most had any true impact on who would be crowned National Champion. In the BCS era really only one bowl game meant anything, and now with the playoff era you at least get 2 bowls that mean something. The rest are essentially exhibitions but its ALWAYS been that way.

Great post. I also think its ridiculous that people supporting these guys sitting out say they shouldn't risk millions in future earnings on a "meaningless" bowl game. Because guess what, when it compared to millions of dollars of earnings and securing the future of your family for generations to come, EVERY college game is meaningless....even the ****ing national championship game.

gravedigger
12-25-2016, 12:45 PM

There are just the right amount of both. Why? Where ever there are two or more gathered in his name. As for bowls: whatever it takes to get more non traditional games going is a good thing.

Id love to see the p5 conferences set up post season matchups (not counting playoffs) for every team in each conference. Forget these miami ohio games. We need to be playing other teams from p5 in the post season.

TUSK
12-25-2016, 02:04 PM
There are just the right amount of both. Why? Where ever there are two or more gathered in his name. As for bowls: whatever it takes to get more non traditional games going is a good thing.

Id love to see the p5 conferences set up post season matchups (not counting playoffs) for every team in each conference. Forget these miami ohio games. We need to be playing other teams from p5 in the post season.

That sounded a lil "elitest" and "exclusionary"... Why are you so intolerant of non-P5 programs, 'digger????