PDA

View Full Version : I Just Don't Have Anyway To Explain How Dumb the Media Is....

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2016, 11:32 AM
So ESPN does a top 25 players in the SEC this morning and conviently leaves the SEC's total yardage leader off the list. How? Why?

I just have no explanation for how crappy the media is at actually covering this conference. I can't even watch Finebaum anymore because all it is Bama 247, I'm tired of seeing every LSU player that is talented but doesn't produce on the field ge praised, and I'm completely done with asschaps and his complete lack of awareness. I'm not even going to link this garbage.

This conference just regurgitates the same talking points and articles every year with almost complete disregard for facts.

K9 Avenger
12-23-2016, 11:38 AM
I quit watching/listening to anything on the ESPN "family of networks", other than live sporting events, long ago...I'm a better man for it...

SDDawg
12-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Finebaum is garbage - I only watch for Dan or Stingray which has been pretty rare recently.

DogsofAnarchy
12-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Glad to see you have joined some of us that have seen this biased agenda from the Media since the 80's. I agree with you 100% but I often wonder if the media realizes there are a lot more "subscriptions" out there if they would just report the truth.

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2016, 11:47 AM
I quit watching/listening to anything on the ESPN "family of networks", other than live sporting events, long ago...I'm a better man for it...

I completely agree with not watching. Problem is that ignoring it doesn't help MSU's program improve its perception.

I mean, just this morning in an ESPN article about Dak, the author described MSU's football program as the "epitome of a moribund program". We have a horrible, inaccurate perception across college football and it starts with the media ignoring the facts when it comes to our program, town, and state. They literally refuse to acknowledge the facts.

It has to stop

gtowndawg
12-23-2016, 11:53 AM
I've said for many years for us to change our perception, just change it, not redo it, we have to go to 10 bowls in a row. I think that still applies.

Commercecomet24
12-23-2016, 11:55 AM

Same here. Only the live events. Theyre not a sports station anymore.

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2016, 12:00 PM
I've said for many years for us to change our perception, just change it, not redo it, we have to go to 10 bowls in a row. I think that still applies.

Agree. But why?

How did it ever get so bad?

Other programs have done far less and gotten ons more good publicity. Heck, just last week there was an article saying Mullen over achieved with a 5-7 team.

Why does the media treat us like an irrelevant program in a tumbleweed town when we are producing pro bowlers, going to bowls every year, recruiting in the top 25, all while being in the SEC West?

SaintDawg
12-23-2016, 12:30 PM
That's what happens when a company like Disney owns a station like ESPN. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. All media is a joke nowadays. No one checks facts. They're always wrong. Most just cut and paste what another has said. I believe there is a quote in media circles that says "in the news business, it's better to be first than be right" Most sports journalists couldnt find their ass with both hands.

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2016, 12:34 PM
That's what happens when a company like Disney owns a station like ESPN. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. All media is a joke nowadays. No one checks facts. They're always wrong. Most just cut and paste what another has said. I believe there is a quote in media circles that says "in the news business, it's better to be first than be right" Most sports journalists couldnt find their ass with both hands.

No one is losing sleep over it, but when people ask why we struggle to recruit out of state, look no further than our perception problem.

It is a problem, regardless of how stupid we may think the media is

Bothrops
12-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Espn is a piece of shit that is ruining college sports.

gtowndawg
12-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Agree. But why?

How did it ever get so bad?

Other programs have done far less and gotten ons more good publicity. Heck, just last week there was an article saying Mullen over achieved with a 5-7 team.

Why does the media treat us like an irrelevant program in a tumbleweed town when we are producing pro bowlers, going to bowls every year, recruiting in the top 25, all while being in the SEC West?

Man, I wish I could explain that but I can't other than it's our history. Heck, my own Dad acts happy when we beat a bad Kentucky team. Because you know "son, you don't know how bad it use to be!"

I just think it's ingrained in a couple of generations at this point.

sorrydog
12-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Maybe the ESPN folks read our message boards and simply report the generally negative perception of ourselves that we project.
Which I am guilty of, too.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-23-2016, 01:59 PM
So ESPN does a top 25 players in the SEC this morning and conviently leaves the SEC's total yardage leader off the list. How? Why?

I just have no explanation for how crappy the media is at actually covering this conference. I can't even watch Finebaum anymore because all it is Bama 247, I'm tired of seeing every LSU player that is talented but doesn't produce on the field ge praised, and I'm completely done with asschaps and his complete lack of awareness. I'm not even going to link this garbage.

This conference just regurgitates the same talking points and articles every year with almost complete disregard for facts.

Speaking of Finebaum, do any of y'all listen to the Chuck Oliver Show? It's based out of Atlanta and I catch it when I drive through Meridian during the week. This is show is 100% better than Finebaum. Chuck covers the SEC and ACC with Zero drama that Finebaum brings. I't s just straight sports talk.

Coackjek
12-23-2016, 02:34 PM

I have 4 females in the house and can't get the tv off Dora, Mickey, Lifetime, or Liv and Maddie long enough to enjoy 30 mins of sportscenter. I can't say that I truely miss it. But I do have a loving wife that lets me normally block out 5+ hours of football time on Saturday.

gtowndawg
12-23-2016, 02:40 PM
Maybe the ESPN folks read our message boards and simply report the generally negative perception of ourselves that we project.
Which I am guilty of, too.

If I had to categorize, I would say anyone that graduated State 1989 or before, there's generally a "we can't do much better" type attitude. Anyone 1990 and after has a "we can and should do this" type attitude. And all of that is based on King Jackie showing it can be done at Mississippi State. It's the only reason I can think why many in my Dad's generation are ok with 6 win seasons when people like myself want and expect better.

Think about what the next generation will think of State. My sons started to really love State when we were number one. My middle son asked that year "have we never NOT been ranked?" Heck, my youngest son was a newborn baby the last time we didn't go to a bowl. So their generation will probably be even more aggressive than we are in terms of wanting and demanding success because it will practically be all they know. Point being, I think it just takes a long time to clear out the old M-State memories.

32 Dive
12-23-2016, 02:42 PM
Like every other form of media, it will only play the hits, unless contractually obligated to do otherwise. Whatever gets you the most eyeballs, good or bad, is what gets coverage. I understand the business model, but I don't like it. But guess what... Because of our market size, that's the way thing will remain (in relative terms). State has to maximize the opportunities it gets, to promote the brand. You just can't depend on the W.W.L. to continuously promote it for them...

Bothrops
12-23-2016, 02:50 PM
There's nothing we will ever do to change our perception too much, unless we receive a donation like the one Oklahoma St. did years ago, or win the National Championship. Other than that, these media clowns are gonna continue to go around the same lame circle.

shannondawg
12-23-2016, 02:56 PM
Man, I wish I could explain that but I can't other than it's our history. Heck, my own Dad acts happy when we beat a bad Kentucky team. Because you know "son, you don't know how bad it use to be!"

I just think it's ingrained in a couple of generations at this point.

Aren't you happy when we win any game? I know I am happy and sad when we lose.

DancingRabbit
12-23-2016, 03:01 PM
Switch to Yahoo. They discuss Nick as a dark-horse Heisman candidate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-nick-fitzgerald-2017-heisman-171613590.html

smootness
12-23-2016, 03:08 PM
I don't have a big problem with not having Fitzgerald in there, but if you're going to have Hurts at 9, then you have to put him in.

As far as why the program is perceived to be so bad, it's not that hard. It is a historically bad program in small town Mississippi with a small budget that has struggled to compete in the SEC.

Dawg61
12-23-2016, 03:39 PM
We have to fight the media WITH media. We graduate zero media so we have zero influence in the media world. Been saying this is our biggest problem for ten years now. Nobody does shit cause they are all still stuck in 1990.

TaleofTwoDogs
12-23-2016, 03:45 PM
If I had to categorize, I would say anyone that graduated State 1989 or before, there's generally a "we can't do much better" type attitude. Anyone 1990 and after has a "we can and should do this" type attitude. And all of that is based on King Jackie showing it can be done at Mississippi State. It's the only reason I can think why many in my Dad's generation are ok with 6 win seasons when people like myself want and expect better.

I'm a pre-1989 grad and that's not the way I think and quite a few alums I know in that age bracket don't have that attitude. I understand what you are saying as a broad stroke but that attitude is rapidly fading in many of the older alums. For the most part, State has always been competitive on the field but we have always fallen short in the 2nd half because we lacked the depth the elite schools could field. As far as the ESPN SEC network bias, you only have to look at the background of their analyst - Bama (McElroy), LSU ( Spears & Booger), Florida (Palmer), Stinchcomb (Georgia) and Finebaum (Tenn). Palmer is the only one that will speak positively of MSU and the rest couldn't care less.

gtowndawg
12-23-2016, 03:57 PM

Not sure if this is a real question...

gtowndawg
12-23-2016, 03:58 PM
I'm a pre-1989 grad and that's not the way I think and quite a few alums I know in that age bracket don't have that attitude. I understand what you are saying as a broad stroke but that attitude is rapidly fading in many of the older alums. For the most part, State has always been competitive on the field but we have always fallen short in the 2nd half because we lacked the depth the elite schools could field. As far as the ESPN SEC network bias, you only have to look at the background of their analyst - Bama (McElroy), LSU ( Spears & Booger), Florida (Palmer), Stinchcomb (Georgia) and Finebaum (Tenn). Palmer is the only one that will speak positively of MSU and the rest couldn't care less.

For sure, obviously there are exceptions to the rule.

IMissJack
12-23-2016, 04:22 PM

I don't think bowls are enough any more. Everyone goes to bowls. You have to beat some top ranked teams consistently.

msudawg1200
12-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Speaking of Finebaum, do any of y'all listen to the Chuck Oliver Show? It's based out of Atlanta and I catch it when I drive through Meridian during the week. This is show is 100% better than Finebaum. Chuck covers the SEC and ACC with Zero drama that Finebaum brings. I't s just straight sports talk.

You are correct about Chuck Oliver. We get him on 104.9 from 11-1 here around Meridian. He does a super non-biased job of covering the SEC and ACC. No stupid shenanigans like Finebaum the joke. He does a great job of covering us. He is in the know about our players, programs, and recruits, as he is with all SEC and ACC programs. I'd suggest finding a podcast if you can't get it on radio, or emailing your local sports station and try to get him. It is worth it.

Apoplectic
12-23-2016, 04:41 PM
I'm so glad i relegated all sports to less than small portion of my attention allowance. Life is so much better. I wouldn't piss on a sports radio show much less listen to one.

Howboutdemdogs
12-23-2016, 05:29 PM
This is where Strickland and his staff missed it all. Instead of creating a brand name that no one out of Mississippi would even care to know, (but maybe in time Hail State will be nationally recognized), we should be "working" the media to make us relevant. This is why I wish we had a Journalism school. Yes, we would have to do alittle smoozing and Ass kissing to make them like us. Partner up with them so to speak. We have to sell ourselves to the media. This is what Ole Piss has been doing,,,,and it worked. This is how they became the media darlings. Politics!

Also, I sat in the wooden end zone bleachers in the early 80's and watch UK beat us. I survived the Bullard tears in college.

GTHOM
12-23-2016, 06:47 PM
Who gives a shit

basedog
12-23-2016, 07:09 PM

Depends who's coaching, ask Stans and now Mullenbury*********

RougeDawg
12-23-2016, 08:18 PM
We have first got to bombard the media with stories like other teams do and then we have to infiltrate the medium of spreading the message. IE infiltrate the media.

maroonmania
12-23-2016, 10:04 PM
For sure, obviously there are exceptions to the rule.

I think your characterization probably more fits pre-1980 graduates. Those of us that graduated in the 80s saw some good football at MSU as youngsters under Tyler and Bellard and were still very young alumni when the Kang took over.

msbulldog
12-24-2016, 07:45 AM
Switch to Yahoo. They discuss Nick as a dark-horse Heisman candidate.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-nick-fitzgerald-2017-heisman-171613590.html

Great article, except for the dumba$$ comment at the end. Thanks for posting.

msbulldog
12-24-2016, 08:10 AM

Think about what the next generation will think of State. My sons started to really love State when we were number one. My middle son asked that year "have we never NOT been ranked?" Heck, my youngest son was a newborn baby the last time we didn't go to a bowl. So their generation will probably be even more aggressive than we are in terms of wanting and demanding success because it will practically be all they know. Point being, I think it just takes a long time to clear out the old M-State memories.

I was at State in the early 70's and in high school as a MSU fan when Houston beat us 70-0. We started seeing good things under Bob Tyler, saw some good things under Emory Bellard like beating #1 Bama in 1980. Then Jackie came along and boy did we see some really good things happen, like making it to Atlanta. All this time throw in other great things like a Final Four and all CWS's appearances and more great athletes than I can count.
I said all this to say, that never in all those years (somewhere over 40) have I accepted failure. Never have I accepted the idea "that's just the way it is with MSU". I seen an improvement and a upward trend through all those years, including being ranked #1 in the nation for 5 weeks.
I have the utmost faith that Good Lord will let me see us get a Natty before I die!

Cooterpoot
12-24-2016, 10:39 AM
ESPN is more concerned with political agendas and damn video games these days. I only watch when State, Dallas, or the Saints play. And bowl season....

Reason2succeed
12-24-2016, 11:30 AM
That list is all about recruiting pedigree. Fitzgerald will have to win big games like Dak did and maybe the Dak factor will help him but until then no he won't make the list.

msbulldog
12-24-2016, 12:01 PM
That list is all about recruiting pedigree. Fitzgerald will have to win big games like Dak did and maybe the Dak factor will help him but until then no he won't make the list.

Reason2, I believe Fitz will get those wins. This season was an anomaly, a transition year, rebuilding. First of all, Coach knows that even though his name is floated, he must succeed to move to other things. He will give even more effort next season than he gave in his first season. We are bringing in tremendous talent, on top of some of the best talent I have seen in 40+ years of watching MSU football.
I think our defensive staff will find themselves after 1 year under their belt, they obviously have the credentials. I think Fitz is motivation driven, he has the tools and the inspiration of Dallas Dak to work real hard this offseason. He can make millions!
If we don't do it next year, 2018 we will. Hail State! Merry Christmas!

MedDawg
12-24-2016, 12:33 PM
I don't think bowls are enough any more. Everyone goes to bowls. You have to beat some top ranked teams consistently.

I disagree. Just because we went to lower bowls at 6-6 doesn't mean we were down to the level of the newer lowest bowls. Those 6-6 MSU teams were still a lot better than the current 6-6 or even 8-4 U of Ohio or New Mexico teams who are going to bowls that didn't exist 10 years ago.

Beating top ranked teams was/is a next step to becoming an even better program, but going to 7 straight bowls and finishing with at least 7 wins for 6 straight years is still evidence of a strong program. Not to mention 19 wins over two seasons and a #1 mid-season ranking.

msbulldog
12-24-2016, 01:36 PM
I disagree. Just because we went to lower bowls at 6-6 doesn't mean we were down to the level of the newer lowest bowls. Those 6-6 MSU teams were still a lot better than the current 6-6 or even 8-4 U of Ohio or New Mexico teams who are going to bowls that didn't exist 10 years ago.

Beating top ranked teams was/is a next step to becoming an even better program, but going to 7 straight bowls and finishing with at least 7 wins for 6 straight years is still evidence of a strong program. Not to mention 19 wins over two seasons and a #1 mid-season ranking.

I agree, we are better now than anytime reaching back to the 1940's and we are going to get better. We are attracting better athletes and we will become more competitive as long as we can do that. Rep given.