PDA

View Full Version : Changes in cheer

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-05-2013, 10:47 PM
After 1st downs they're going to say first down bulldogs and we're supposed to say "Hail State" then after the hail state a lot of people say "hell yea"

I feel like we're mimicking Ole Miss with these cheers. Whyyyyy?

messageboardsuperhero
09-05-2013, 10:51 PM
It's lame when UM does their stupid little first down chant. It would lame for us as well. I sure as hell won't participate in that shit.

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2013, 11:03 PM
It's lame when UM does their stupid little first down chant. It would lame for us as well. I sure as hell won't participate in that shit.

+1

Mulligan
09-05-2013, 11:07 PM
+1
I'm confused. You people bitch when it's dull and you have to sit through a commercial etc, but when someone tries to liven it up a little you say it's lame and copycat. Well ****, all cheers are basically some sort of copycat. If you don't like it come up with an idea instead of always bitching. Msu fans are the most pessimistic fans in the country. Damn

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm confused. You people bitch when it's dull and you have to sit through a commercial etc, but when someone tries to liven it up a little you say it's lame and copycat. Well ****, all cheers are basically some sort of copycat. If you don't like it come up with an idea instead of always bitching. Msu fans are the most pessimistic fans in the country. Damn

Uhhh.......most of us have made fun of the Bearz for that ghey ass cheer they've been doing for about 10 years. Why the hell do we want to copy something we've been making fun of for years? I don't mind starting new stuff, but don't copy the f'n gheyest cheer in all the SEC. And why the hell can't we stick with "Go Dawgs" or "Go State?"

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-05-2013, 11:11 PM

I do want them to liven things up. But lets come up with some ideas that are original, rather than copying our rivals gay ass chants

I don't plan on participating in it either.

Mulligan
09-05-2013, 11:16 PM
What makes a cheer good is participation. Is Geaux Tigers L S U a good cheer? Real creative huh? What makes it great is 80,000 fans doing it at the same time. Not saying this one is great but it doesn't take great. It takes participation.

Salty
09-05-2013, 11:19 PM
Whyyyy? Sounds like Nancy Kerrigan after getting clubbed.

Like Ole Miss is the only team on earth that has a synched cheer after 1st downs. NFL teams and other colleges do it as well.
How is saying Hail State or Go State copying Ole Miss? Do they say that?

SignalToNoise
09-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I don't see it catching on. Let it run its course and it will die off (Hopefully).

ShotgunDawg
09-05-2013, 11:39 PM
I like it and it's not copying OM. Alabama does the same thing. When their PA guy says 1st down Alabama, the crowd says, "Roll Tide". Some of you guys have such tunnel focus on OM, that you think everything we do is copying them. I like the cheer, and hope everyone participates. OM's version sounds dumb because the PA announcer actually participates in the "Ole Miss" part. The crowd should be the only ones saying anything.

hailmari
09-05-2013, 11:56 PM
I agree, I don't see what the problem is. Just about every other stadium does some kind of first down chant, so it has nothing to do with UM. Even if we were copying, who cares...quit thinking about them so damn much and let's have fun on gameday.

Btw, if it weren't for the cowbells, I dont know if our fans would have a clue how to even move or make noise during games.

hailmari
09-06-2013, 12:03 AM
I was at the cowbell yell tonight, I never heard anyhing about a "hell yeah".. The "hail state" part started two years ago at the first cowbell yell, though.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-06-2013, 12:19 AM
I was at the cowbell yell tonight, I never heard anyhing about a "hell yeah".. The "hail state" part started two years ago at the first cowbell yell, though.

Then what were they saying? I was up towards the top and couldn't hear what they were saying. Me and my friend thought it was "hell yea"

bluelightstar
09-06-2013, 12:26 AM
The announcer says "First Down Bulldogs," and the crowd responds "Hail State!"

That's been going on for a couple of years now, at least

Todd4State
09-06-2013, 12:34 AM
Well, most cheers and things like that are things that kind of just happen. See the Dawg Pound Rock, cowbells, the LFL, and etc.

Usually when the organization tries to cram something down everyone's throats- it normally backfires.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-06-2013, 12:37 AM
The announcer says "First Down Bulldogs," and the crowd responds "Hail State!"

That's been going on for a couple of years now, at least

Yea, but after the "Hail State" about half the students would say something else that sounded like "hell yea" to me. Also, what were they saying when Christian Holmes was trying to practice the cheer?

It_Could_Happen
09-06-2013, 03:06 AM
Whyyyy? Sounds like Nancy Kerrigan after getting clubbed.

Like Ole Miss is the only team on earth that has a synched cheer after 1st downs. NFL teams and other colleges do it as well.
How is saying Hail State or Go State copying Ole Miss? Do they say that?

I can't believe you said that. First of all as a student I thought it was a great idea. Keeps the crowd in the game. Also I know a lot of schools who do a cheer after a first down. I know for a fact Arkansas has one and so does LSU. I'm also pretty sure auburn and Alabama have one. Do we just look for ways to nit pick now?

PassInterference
09-06-2013, 06:24 AM
What makes a cheer good is participation. Is Geaux Tigers L S U a good cheer? Real creative huh? What makes it great is 80,000 fans doing it at the same time. Not saying this one is great but it doesn't take great. It takes participation.

This.

How cool is the maroon-whte cheer? What's cool about saying colors? The level of crowd participation is what's cool.

barely
09-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Its horrible! Lets just be like Auburn and start copying other schools fight songs while we are at it. A good product on the field keeps the crowd in the game, cheers like this do not.

Political Hack
09-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Arkansas starts that crap before OM I believe.

Dawg61
09-06-2013, 07:55 AM
The one cheer I wish we'd adopt is the L.S.U....L.S.U......L.S.U. Except with MSU of course. It sounds so much better to have everyone chanting the same thing instead of MAROON.....WHITE.

Barking 13
09-06-2013, 08:00 AM
We would have only had to do it three times last week.....:eek:

Bubb Rubb
09-06-2013, 08:05 AM

If we're going to fix something, let's fix the band. Let's play the M-S-U cheer after every first down. Let's not play "paint it black" after a good defensive play; we're ripping of UGA there. Let's not play "Ease On Down The Road" when the other team is on offense. Instead of some gay-ass stupid cheer, why can't we get the band more coordinated? LSU's band is cool as shit because they have things they do after every down, every time. It definitely adds to the atmosphere and experience.

smootness
09-06-2013, 08:07 AM
Its horrible! Lets just be like Auburn and start copying other schools fight songs while we are at it. A good product on the field keeps the crowd in the game, cheers like this do not.

If you want to get down to it, essentially all 'traditions' were copied at some point. People like to think of UGA as having a lot of tradition...well, they copied the Packers' G on their helmets; we were called Bulldogs before they were and had an actual live bulldog as a mascot before they did; their fight song is the Battle Hymn of the Republic (really?); and we have hedges just like they do.

The first down cheers are harmless, and just about everybody does some version. Now, I do wish we would stop using 'Hail State' everywhere, but it obviously isn't going anywhere; I think 'Go State' is far better, though generic as people may think it is.

smootness
09-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Well, most cheers and things like that are things that kind of just happen. See the Dawg Pound Rock, cowbells, the LFL, and etc.

Usually when the organization tries to cram something down everyone's throats- it normally backfires.

How many things 'just happen', though? I'm sure most things that seem spontaneous originated because someone saw somebody else do a version of it. Think about the roll-call we do at baseball games; people love it, and I do, too, but it was copied.

CJDAWG85
09-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Craziest cheer after a First Down goes to the West Virginia faithful... Shit is hilarious

AROB44
09-06-2013, 08:27 AM
I think it is pretty lame when you cheer after a damn first down. Although I do remember doing that during the Shira years when we ususally didn't get a first down until mid way in the 3rd quarter. It was pretty much the only thing we had to cheer about. So....f*uck cheering after a first down....

smootness
09-06-2013, 08:36 AM
I think it is pretty lame when you cheer after a damn first down. Although I do remember doing that during the Shira years when we ususally didn't get a first down until mid way in the 3rd quarter. It was pretty much the only thing we had to cheer about. So....f*uck cheering after a first down....

I isn't cheering as in, 'Yay! We got a first down!' It's just an easy excuse for people to yell something. Same as chanting 'Maroon...White' every 10 minutes.

Original48
09-06-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm all for the first down cheer and any cheers that keep a Carolina Pride commercial off the jumbotron wet blanketing momentum and crowd noise. This first down brought to you by Columbus Orthopedics!! No thanks.

Barking 13
09-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Why not just have everybody move their arm in the first down symbol in the direction they are going, at the same time... kind of like the "wave".... or we could all cheer, "not this shit again" :cool:

notsofarawaydawg
09-06-2013, 08:51 AM
I guess doing a cheer like this is going to make you less of a man. smfh

FlabLoser
09-06-2013, 09:17 AM
The one cheer I wish we'd adopt is the L.S.U....L.S.U......L.S.U. Except with MSU of course. It sounds so much better to have everyone chanting the same thing instead of MAROON.....WHITE.

We've got that cheer. It starts with a music jingle thing the band plays.

I have to say GO STATE is a damn good cheer. It has been around for longer than I remember and gets good crowd participation...and means more than yelling colors.

And BTW, MSU invented the gator chomp. Google it.

Dawgdom
09-06-2013, 09:22 AM
I will gladly participate...especially if we are running out the clock while laying an ass wipping on Ole Miss.

HAIL STATE

Note: I even enjoy (don't understand) the USM cheer. Even with just 10 fans it's sounds awesome.

Second Note: Anything Ole Miss does is wrong, stupid, illegal, un-American,...

blacklistedbully
09-06-2013, 09:24 AM
We've got that cheer. It starts with a music jingle thing the band plays.

I have to say GO STATE is a damn good cheer. It has been around for longer than I remember and gets good crowd participation...and means more than yelling colors.

And BTW, MSU invented the gator chomp. Google it.

I know we did the "Go State" & "Maroon..White" in the early 80's. Also remember when we were on defense it was, "H-O-L-D-Hold that line!", and "Maroon-White-Bulldog Blitz!".

starkvegasdawg
09-06-2013, 09:47 AM
After 1st downs they're going to say first down bulldogs and we're supposed to say "Hail State" then after the hail state a lot of people say "hell yea"

I feel like we're mimicking Ole Miss with these cheers. Whyyyyy?
Maybe they got a sniff of what our offense was going to be like this year and wanted to make sure the fans had a chance to cheer so they made up one for after first downs instead of just after we score.

biscuit
09-06-2013, 10:21 AM
If we're going to fix something, let's fix the band. Let's play the M-S-U cheer after every first down. Let's not play "paint it black" after a good defensive play; we're ripping of UGA there. Let's not play "Ease On Down The Road" when the other team is on offense. Instead of some gay-ass stupid cheer, why can't we get the band more coordinated? LSU's band is cool as shit because they have things they do after every down, every time. It definitely adds to the atmosphere and experience.

I've never understood the "Ease on down the Road" song. Why in the f$*k do we play that crappy ghey ass song. It has nothing to do with MSU.

FlabLoser
09-06-2013, 10:52 AM
I will gladly participate...especially if we are running out the clock while laying an ass wipping on Ole Miss.

HAIL STATE

Note: I even enjoy (don't understand) the USM cheer. Even with just 10 fans it's sounds awesome.

Second Note: Anything Ole Miss does is wrong, stupid, illegal, un-American,...

The hotty toddy has to be the worse cheer. After "hell yes, damn right", its all a mish mash of unsynchronized yelling. Basically just a long slur of drunken growling - and a way to teach young children to yell cuss words.

MadDawg
09-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Leave the cuss words in cheers to the rednecks in oxford.

Bullmutt
09-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I've long thought the maroon/white cheer is the lamest ever.

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 01:42 PM
I do want them to liven things up. But lets come up with some ideas that are original, rather than copying our rivals gay ass chants

I don't plan on participating in it either.

Gosh, some of you folks want to complain about every idea that comes down the pike. Heck, AL fans yell Roll Tide after every Bama first down, I mean are they lame? Anything that gets the fans unified in a tradition is a good thing. Just because other schools do something similar is incosequential. I sincerely doubt any other schools say Hail State.

barely
09-06-2013, 02:21 PM
If you want to get down to it, essentially all 'traditions' were copied at some point. People like to think of UGA as having a lot of tradition...well, they copied the Packers' G on their helmets; we were called Bulldogs before they were and had an actual live bulldog as a mascot before they did; their fight song is the Battle Hymn of the Republic (really?); and we have hedges just like they do.

The first down cheers are harmless, and just about everybody does some version. Now, I do wish we would stop using 'Hail State' everywhere, but it obviously isn't going anywhere; I think 'Go State' is far better, though generic as people may think it is.

I couldnt agree more...I hate Hail State, especially when we put it on shirts. But agreed, its not going anywhere.

Political Hack
09-06-2013, 02:30 PM
it's takes people with a deep southern accent at least 9 seconds to pronounce "hail."

we needed our "roll tide" or "hotty toddy," but we could've went with a lot of other options. Hell, I'd rather say "More Cowbell" every time I walk by a state fan, but Hail State is here to stay.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-06-2013, 02:43 PM
The hotty toddy has to be the worse cheer. After "hell yes, damn right", its all a mish mash of unsynchronized yelling. Basically just a long slur of drunken growling - and a way to teach young children to yell cuss words.

I know...I love telling Ole Miss fans their chant makes no sense. They're chalk full of bs reasons as to why that cheer actually makes sense if you're an Ole Miss fan

Barking 13
09-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Hail State, all skate, who the hell we is? Clanga clanga, cowbell ranga, M State... cuzzzz! ;)

Political Hack
09-06-2013, 03:21 PM
flim flam, bim bam, who the hell gives a damn?

Barking 13
09-06-2013, 03:36 PM
sarcasm***

chef dixon
09-06-2013, 05:27 PM

I completely agree here. My time in Starkville no one ever really said "Hail State." Just good ole "Go Dawgs" or "Go State." A couple years later "Hail State" comes out of no where and has since shown no signs of letting up. Not a huge fan of it.