PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question - Would we have a natty banner in football (besides 1941)

TaleofTwoDogs
12-22-2016, 05:09 PM
if the Dak led offense in 2014 was supported by the talent of the 1999 defense? Would it have made a difference against Bama?

Sorry, slow Thursday question and can't get too excited about playing the far northern Oxford.

Liverpooldawg
12-22-2016, 05:10 PM
if the Dak led offense in 2014 was supported by the talent of the 1999 defense? Would it have made a difference against Bama?

Sorry, slow Thursday question and can't get too excited about playing the far northern Oxford.

Yes, easily.

preachermatt83
12-22-2016, 05:11 PM
Oh no doubt.

Quaoarsking
12-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Yes. Also if Alabama doesn't hire Lane Kiffin to be OC, we're national champs in 2014.

codeDawg
12-22-2016, 05:36 PM
Yes. Also if Alabama doesn't hire Lane Kiffin to be OC, we're national champs in 2014.

Bama makes life in the SEC so boring. You have to hand it to Freeze. He has gone his own way by obviously spending a lot of time investing in the Bama game. I think other teams (ours included) think that they can take care of everyone else and hope Bama faulters.

It hasn't really worked out, but he's at least tried something different. Freeze's biggest problem is trying to be too innovative though.

smootness
12-22-2016, 05:41 PM
I mean, that would have been the best team in the country, so we'd have a pretty darn good shot. But you're talking about the best defense and best offense in our history.

RougeDawg
12-22-2016, 05:46 PM
If we had just had a somewhat above average offensive line in 14 we would have won. We couldn't block Bama or OM and Dak pressed in both games early, digging huge holes. We almost overcame the deficit in Tuscaloosa as well.

ETA. If we had 2nd half 2016 OL in 2014, we probably don't lose a game and 1st playoff champ.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-22-2016, 09:42 PM
I don't think our best in history could have beat this yrs bama team. Their defense is just sick. When we were 1 and went into Tuscaloosa. They were flat out tense and were just overwhelmed at first. I mean we had never been 1 and bama has countless times. The 2nd half we relaxed and played our game but the only way you beat bama is to jump on them quick and early. It's very difficult trying to play catch-up

MedDawg
12-22-2016, 09:56 PM

He said that during the 1999 Egg Bowl broadcast. So according to that we wouldn't even need our whole 2014 offense with our 1999 defense, just Dak.
Madkin and Wyatt did fairly well by MSU historical standards, but they fell short of national championship QB standards.

bulldawg28
12-22-2016, 10:47 PM
I don't think our best in history could have beat this yrs bama team. Their defense is just sick. When we were 1 and went into Tuscaloosa. They were flat out tense and were just overwhelmed at first. I mean we had never been 1 and bama has countless times. The 2nd half we relaxed and played our game but the only way you beat bama is to jump on them quick and early. It's very difficult trying to play catch-up

Disagree. Bama's offense wouldn't cross the 50 against the 99 defense. The freshman Qb would have turned it over and we would have scored at least 14 off of turnovers.

TaleofTwoDogs
12-22-2016, 11:18 PM
I remember Corso saying that and thinking he should put down the Dewar's.

Todd4State
12-22-2016, 11:59 PM
I think 1A/1B is what cost us the Bama game and Egg Bowl ultimately. Why Dan does stuff like that I do not know. I wonder with all the JUCO's coming in if we will see it next year too. I recall 1B being on the field late for Alabama when we had momentum and they promptly allowed a touchdown. I also remember Coman tackling Chris Jones right before he blew up Jaylon Walton springing him for a 96 yard or so TD and they were both 1B's as well.

1999 Jackie's problem is he played Chris Rainey over Dontae and Dicenzo way too much. I think our offense would have been much better with Dontae and Dicenzo carrying the load- but hey, all those comebacks were fun! Our cardiologists are all thankful.

So basically if we can find a coach that will actually play the best players the majority of the time we might actually win a SEC Championship. I have a feeling that's how Allyn McKeen did it in the 1940's.

Todd4State
12-23-2016, 12:04 AM
Disagree. Bama's offense wouldn't cross the 50 against the 99 defense. The freshman Qb would have turned it over and we would have scored at least 14 off of turnovers.

My guess is the 1999 defense would have allowed 21 points in the first half, shut them down completely in the second half and Matt Wyatt would have come off of the bench and hit a wide open CJ Sirmones to tie the game at 21. Kiffen then would have gotten cute and thrown a pick 6 to Smoot who would have been flagged for excessive trash talking resulting in a Scott Westerfield field goal to win the game.

That's pretty much your typical rundown of a 1999 MSU football game. Except for the Vanderbilt game where we just kicked their ass because they pissed us off about all of our JUCO's and South Carolina who was totally inept that year and went 0-11 and we shut them out.

Todd4State
12-23-2016, 12:09 AM

I think you are right. Plus Josh had that safety and it made Dan gunshy about going back to him which put the game even moreso on Dak's shoulders. If we're ever going to beat Bama with Saban it's likely going to be in Starkville in a game like 1996 where we are able to hang around and we just pull it out in the end.

Todd4State
12-23-2016, 12:12 AM
Bama makes life in the SEC so boring. You have to hand it to Freeze. He has gone his own way by obviously spending a lot of time investing in the Bama game. I think other teams (ours included) think that they can take care of everyone else and hope Bama faulters.

It hasn't really worked out, but he's at least tried something different. Freeze's biggest problem is trying to be too innovative though.

I don't think being too innovative is Freeze's biggest problem right now. N C A A.

dawgoneyall
12-23-2016, 12:20 AM

I would have to say yeah.

TUSK
12-23-2016, 01:27 AM
:rolleyes:

dawgday166
12-23-2016, 08:42 AM
2014 Oline was easily as good or better than 2016 Oline. We outgained Bama by 100 yds that game - 423 or so to 323 or so. Bama's O was crushing folks in Ttown that year and gaining ~600 yds a game in Tuscaloosa. Cooper only had 88 yds receiving on like 11 catches I believe, with 1 big play of 50 or so. That means on the other 10 catches he was helf to 3.8 yds or so per catch. Our D played lights out considering the hole that was dug by offensive turnovers, the safety, and Bama's punter early in the game. The D didn't stop Bama on that 1 drive in the second half when Blake scrambled for those 2 (or was it 3) first downs when looking at 3rd and 10 each time.

All we needed to beat Bama in that game was the 2015 version of Dak. Dak really hurt us in that game with the 3 picks. Not having Jameon Lewis completely healthy also hurt some. The Oline didn't play that well in 1st half but played much better in 2nd half. We had our chances, just didn't capitalize on them.

ETA: Playing OSU would've been tough tho. We just flat should've whupped OM that year.