PDA

View Full Version : What Former MSU Players Deserve to Be In David Wade Ring of Honor?

ShotgunDawg
12-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Just curious what everyone's thoughts are here.

Additionally, how long after their MSU career should they have to wait for their name to be on the stadium & what criteria would you use to select future players?

For me, I don't think there should be a wait time & I think the criteria should be:

- Player must have made at least one 1st team All-SEC team while at MSU
- Player must be selected to at least one pro-bowl in the NFL
- No felonies
- An M-Club committee or board of trustees of the university must give at least 70% vote assuming the prior three criteria were met.

Under these criteria, Dak Prescott & Fletcher Cox would be eligible to be voted on by the committee. Eric Moulds may be eligible because he made three pro-bowls, but I'm not sure if he was 1st team All-SEC at MSU

What do you guys think?

Todd4State
12-22-2016, 04:49 PM
I would do away with any criteria. For example I think Keefer McGee should be honored. I'm not sure Fred Smoot or Anthony Dixon made a pro bowl but I think they should be honored as well. Walter Packer and Joe Fortunato and Tom Goode and Hoyle Granger should be as well.

ShotgunDawg
12-22-2016, 04:56 PM
I would do away with any criteria. For example I think Keefer McGee should be honored. I'm not sure Fred Smoot or Anthony Dixon made a pro bowl but I think they should be honored as well. Walter Packer and Joe Fortunato and Tom Goode and Hoyle Granger should be as well.

There are extremely limited spots though, so you can't open the door too wide.

I love Dixon and Smoot, but I'm not quite sure they belong up there

blacklistedbully
12-22-2016, 05:06 PM
Think I'd throw John Bond in as well. He took a terrible physical beating at MSU, and wasn't suited for the NFL, but he was a stud for us. Of course:
Kent Hull
Fletcher Cox
Joe Fortunato
Hoyle Grainger
Walt Harris
Eric Moulds
Tom Neville
Walt Suggs

fader2103
12-22-2016, 05:12 PM
I think Hull is already in it. I would say Moulds for sure

MafiaDawg
12-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Dak should be up there now. Give me one good reason not to? He's easily the most transcendent player in history at State.

QuadrupleOption
12-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Just curious what everyone's thoughts are here.

Additionally, how long after their MSU career should they have to wait for their name to be on the stadium & what criteria would you use to select future players?

For me, I don't think there should be a wait time & I think the criteria should be:

- No felonies
- An M-Club committee or board of trustees of the university must give at least 70% vote assuming the prior three criteria were met.

Under these criteria, Dak Prescott & Fletcher Cox would be eligible to be voted on by the committee. Eric Moulds may be eligible because he made three pro-bowls, but I'm not sure if he was 1st team All-SEC at MSU

What do you guys think?

I'd love to see an MSU Hall of Fame that's separate from the stadium but close by where we can honor more players, then rotate players onto and off of the Ring of Honor in the stadium on a yearly basis. That way we don't have to leave someone out that deserves it - honestly even given our shitty football history I can think of a lot of players that deserve to be remembered for their contributions and I only really started following MSU in 1991.

SaintDawg
12-22-2016, 05:22 PM
Jacob Sanford Cristil

bulldawg28
12-22-2016, 05:24 PM
A college of honor would have nothing to do with the NFL. It's for college.

Liverpooldawg
12-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Jimmy Webb
Rocky Felker

SaintDawg
12-22-2016, 05:29 PM
To be honest, while we're talking, I think Dak and Jack are both deserving of statues, along w/ Ring of Honor, IMO

smootness
12-22-2016, 05:39 PM

This. I wouldn't set any definite criteria, but it definitely shouldn't involve any NFL accomplishments as a prerequisite. Think about a Florida Ring of Honor without Tim Tebow...it would make it a complete sham.

For me, in my lifetime, I would include the following:
- Dak Prescott
- Eric Moulds
- Jerious Norwood
- Fletcher Cox
- Benardrick McKinney
- Walt Harris
- Johnthan Banks

I realize that is a lot from the last 6 years, but Banks won the Thorpe, so you almost have to include him. Dak is obviously in, and then I think Cox and McKinney are the kind of guys you're looking for. From before my time, I know I would include Hull, Cooks, and Packer, but I don't know enough beyond that.

I love guys like Smoot and JJ, but I think you have to limit it to guys who were at State at least 3 years.

smootness
12-22-2016, 05:40 PM
To be honest, while we're talking, I think Dak and Jack are both deserving of statues, along w/ Ring of Honor, IMO

And yes, they both should have statues up yesterday.

gtowndawg
12-22-2016, 05:46 PM
Pretty sure Jack is already up there.

Liverpooldawg
12-22-2016, 05:47 PM

He is.

Jarius
12-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Smoot was a much better corner than Banks IMO. I could understand some not wanting to honor him with his off the field issues though.

SaintDawg
12-22-2016, 05:53 PM
Ah, yes. Thank you for the correction. Well, he needs a statue then.

Johnson85
12-22-2016, 06:16 PM
This. I wouldn't set any definite criteria, but it definitely shouldn't involve any NFL accomplishments as a prerequisite. Think about a Florida Ring of Honor without Tim Tebow...it would make it a complete sham.

- Dak Prescott
- Eric Moulds
- Jerious Norwood
- Fletcher Cox
- Benardrick McKinney
- Walt Harris
- Johnthan Banks

I realize that is a lot from the last 6 years, but Banks won the Thorpe, so you almost have to include him. Dak is obviously in, and then I think Cox and McKinney are the kind of guys you're looking for. From before my time, I know I would include Hull, Cooks, and Packer, but I don't know enough beyond that.

I love guys like Smoot and JJ, but I think you have to limit it to guys who were at State at least 3 years.

Depends on whether this is basically a MSU MVP list, or a MSU "all-time all-star" award or something a little more, like making a big impact on the field and representing MSU well after their NFL career. Don't know that I have an opinion about which one it should be, but people seem to be all over the map on it.

smootness
12-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Smoot was a much better corner than Banks IMO. I could understand some not wanting to honor him with his off the field issues though.

Smoot was amazing, and as you can hopefully tell, I have always been a huge fan.

But he was only here 2 years, ultimately had some issues that we probably don't want to honor, and Banks won the Thorpe. You just about have to have Banks up there.

Bully13
12-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Who was that bad ass that played for the Cowboys? Played in the ice bowl vs the Packers, no?

tcdog70
12-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Tom Goode
Jackie Parker
Johnnie Cooks
Joe Fortunado
David Smith

All these guys deserve to be there

tcdog70
12-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Who was that bad ass that played for the Cowboys? Played in the ice bowl vs the Packers, no?

DD Lewis absolutely needs to up there

lamont
12-22-2016, 07:02 PM

agreed

Jack
John Bond
Shorty
Jackie
DD Lewis
Dakota
McKeen
Cooks
Moulds

lamont
12-22-2016, 07:05 PM
Smoot was amazing, and as you can hopefully tell, I have always been a huge fan.

But he was only here 2 years, ultimately had some issues that we probably don't want to honor, and Banks won the Thorpe. You just about have to have Banks up there.

Robert Bean was a better college player than Smoot. Bean also blocked numerous kicks in his time at State. Smoot took some time to adjust from juco- Bean didnt. Bean just wasnt big enough for the NFL to be consistent and couldnt hold on with a team

smootness
12-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Robert Bean was a better college player than Smoot. Bean also blocked numerous kicks in his time at State. Smoot took some time to adjust from juco- Bean didnt. Bean just wasnt big enough for the NFL to be consistent and couldnt hold on with a team

No. Bean was great. But no.

Bully13
12-22-2016, 07:15 PM
I'd vote for smoot. Loved watching him tackle. I always thought he didn't get enough credit for his tackling. Did it like he was twice as strong as what he actually was. I'll forgive the weed.

lamont
12-22-2016, 08:00 PM
Bean blocked 10 kicks while at State- 9 punts and a FG in the Peach Bowl. Thats in only 2 years

smootness
12-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Bean blocked 10 kicks while at State- 9 punts and a FG in the Peach Bowl. Thats in only 2 years

Yes, he was very good at that. Bean was great.

Dolphus Raymond
12-22-2016, 08:12 PM
D. D. Lewis
Johnny Cooks

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-22-2016, 09:18 PM
Eric moulds is a no brainer. Arguably the best receiver to wear the maroon and white. There are so many worthy candidates but if you break it down just by positions then Dak in right there too. Jerious Norwood was one of the most talented rbs at State

Treemydawg
12-22-2016, 09:50 PM

- Dak Prescott
- Eric Moulds
- Jerious Norwood
- Fletcher Cox
- Benardrick McKinney
- Walt Harris
- Johnthan Banks

Come on smoot, you have got to put Josh Morgan on the list. He hit harder than anyone we have had on the roster in the last 30 years. He was a head hunter and a hell of a football player.

Liverpooldawg
12-22-2016, 10:57 PM
DD Lewis absolutely needs to up there

I think he is.

Liverpooldawg
12-22-2016, 10:58 PM
D. D. Lewis
Johnny Cooks

Cooks is already there, I think DD is too.

LC Dawg
12-22-2016, 11:10 PM
Tom Goode was a friend of mine so I'm a little biased but he was a helluva player. He was 2 time all sec and also an all american. He was drafted in the 2nd round by the Oilers of the AFL but that was the 16th overall pick. He was drafted real late in the NFL draft because he had already signed with the Oilers. I think he deserves to be on the wall but I know he at least needs to be considered.

Schultzy
12-22-2016, 11:49 PM
J.J. Johnson; best ever RB at MSU

bulldogcountry1
12-23-2016, 08:59 AM

Agreed. Many of my favorite bulldogs never even made it to the highest level. It should be about what they did at State and how they represent the school after.

msbulldog
12-23-2016, 09:33 AM
Stan Black would absolutely de-head opponents.

smootness
12-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Come on smoot, you have got to put Josh Morgan on the list. He hit harder than anyone we have had on the roster in the last 30 years. He was a head hunter and a hell of a football player.

I have to draw the line somewhere, and I don't think Morgan ever got to the level of the guys I listed.

Dawgology
12-23-2016, 10:34 AM
There needs to be a statue of Dak pointing up like he does after a TD. Somewhere around the stadium entrance. Maybe not now but in about ten years.

lastmajordog
12-23-2016, 10:43 AM
delete...........

gtowndawg
12-23-2016, 10:50 AM
There needs to be a statue of Dak pointing up like he does after a TD. Somewhere around the stadium entrance. Maybe not now but in about ten years.

Great idea.

Barking 13
12-23-2016, 11:02 AM
Nickoe***

Maroonthirteen
12-23-2016, 11:26 AM
It needs to be reserved for only the most exceptional players. Obviously, Dak being one. But the criteria needs to be at least 1st team ALL-SEC, holds numerous SEC and school records, numerous MVPs etc etc.

DogsofAnarchy
12-23-2016, 11:32 AM
I don't think this type of award should have anything to do with the NFL. I do agree it's long overdue for MSU to do some of these things. But the key word in your question is HONOR. So this type thing should be for players that provide HONOR to our University and our community. This should only be bestowed upon the best players and human beings that our University helps develop.

I also think we should build some type of Historical Museum attached to the stadium for player info and recruits to get a better idea about what our program is and has done! There are so many interesting moments in our history that we don't take advantage of.

The time to capitalize on some of our recent success is now. If you're not growing then you're dying on the vine.

QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;675193]Just curious what everyone's thoughts are here.

- No felonies

What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2016, 11:41 AM
One thing that I think we can all agree on is the MSU needs an athletic museum that contains an MSU Athletic Hall Of Fame. This is long over due.

Would love to see it built near Davis Wade with it possibly going into a South Endzone expansion where it could be easily accessed from the Junction.

gtowndawg
12-23-2016, 12:01 PM
One more criteria for me, did the player stay involved in MSU athletics after they played? Someone that was an ambassador for the school in their NFL career and after? For instance, Smoot falls into that category (not saying he should be up there for sure, but he is MSU thru and thru). We've had other great players that once gone you don't hear much about them again.