View Full Version : Good grief at OL recruiting in the SEC

lamont
12-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Georgia is bringing in a 5-star OT and 4 more 4-star OL guys
Bammer is bringing in a 5-star OT and 4 more 4-star OL guys
LSU is bringing in 3 4-star OL guys
Auburn is bringing in a 5-star OT and 2 more 4-star OL's

There has to be a way for us to upgrade here

Also took a peek at why Fla wasn't reeling some of these guys in- they only 1 Jr in their top 12. Everybody else is a Soph or Freshmen. There is one reason for offensive inconsistency

preachermatt83
12-21-2016, 01:20 PM
Fire hevesy. Our recruiting on the OL will never improve as long as hevesy is our coach.

Jack Lambert
12-21-2016, 01:42 PM
Fire hevesy. Our recruiting on the OL will never improve as long as hevesy is our coach.

I noticed those were the only school mention in this thread so I guess it's safe to say that all the other schools in the SEC should fire their O-Line coach as well?

According to Rivals A&M Has one four star, Tenn has two, SC has one, Florida has one, KY has Zero, MO has Zero, Vandy has Zero, Ole Miss has Zero, and Arkansas has Zero.

BrunswickDawg
12-21-2016, 01:47 PM
I noticed those were the only school mention in this thread so I guess it's safe to say that all the other schools in the SEC should fire their O-Line coach as well?

According to Rivals A&M Has one four star, Tenn has two, SC has one, Florida has one, MO has Zero, Vandy has Zero, Ole Miss has Zero, and Arkansas has Zero.

Have to have some negative thread about Hev (and defacto Mullen) every day or the click quota won't be met.....

1bigdawg
12-21-2016, 02:10 PM
No one should be happy with our offensive line paly for the "whole" season. I am happy the guys had a couple of good games, but we have to upgrade our recruiting to get consistency thoughout the season. Sadly, it is clear that Hevesy is not the solution.

We heard at mid season that there were definitely going to be changes in the coaching staff. That still needs to happen.

JoseBrown
12-21-2016, 02:12 PM
By looking at OP's list that 3 West division schools. As important as offensive line is I guess we should concede those positions every year and shoot for 4th best in the West...** I'd like to see us figure a way to bring in some top OL recruits wether that requires firing Hev or not. Seems like someone in place could figure out why we can't do it, and make some kind of change to our recruiting strategy concerning OL.

Liverpooldawg
12-21-2016, 02:27 PM
Those schools recruit like that at most positions and almost always do.

BrunswickDawg
12-21-2016, 02:28 PM
I've seen UGA 4* OL commit D'ante Demery up close for 3 years. He's good, but I've seen him get blown up by guys half his size who will never sniff a down of college football. But UGA wants him, and he has the height and weight, so that means 4 *'s instead of 3*.

Commercecomet24
12-21-2016, 02:36 PM
That OL recruiting for those schools is nothing new, they been getting those same type players for decades.

HoopsDawg
12-21-2016, 02:43 PM

Also took a peek at why Fla wasn't reeling some of these guys in- they only 1 Jr in their top 12. Everybody else is a Soph or Freshmen. There is one reason for offensive inconsistency

And they do that every year. So if a couple of guys are busts, it's no big deal. And Saban still goes out and supplements his O-line with a Juco every now and then.

Thick
12-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Pretty scary to see other schools loading up at OL, while we continue to make no effort.

msstate7
12-21-2016, 02:57 PM
The sec loading up on oline stars is nothing new. Anyone care to factor up all the sec's oline rankings the last 5 years and compare that ranking to actual production this past season. Here's our stats that I consider relevant to the oline...

Rushing offense -- 5th
Sacks allowed -- 2nd
TFL allowed -- 4th

Jack Lambert
12-21-2016, 03:02 PM
The sec loading up on oline stars is nothing new. Anyone care to factor up all the sec's oline rankings the last 5 years and compare that ranking to actual production this past season. Here's our stats that I consider relevant to the oline...

Rushing offense -- 5th
Sacks allowed -- 2nd
TFL allowed -- 4th

If Williams had been the starter all season we would have had two 1000 yard rushers.

HSVDawg
12-21-2016, 03:04 PM
I think a lot gets laid at Hevesy's feet (and for good reason), but this is also an area where our localized recruiting approach also really bites us in the ass. Mississippi as a whole just doesn't produce many good OL guys, period. And since that is where we focus an overwhelming majority of our resources, its not surprising that we aren't able to pull in top flight OL. MS doesn't produce any good QB's either, but Mullen has been able to work around that to land 3 overlooked gems in a row now from out of state in Dak, Fitz, and KT. Thus far, we have not found a similar workaround for the offensive line. T-Buck reaching into Florida for Reese was a good start, but we need to pull 3 or 4 guys like that every single year.

Just think for a second about the recent Top HS offensive linemen from MS and where they are now. You have Rod Taylor, Javon Patterson, and Deronte Bouldin not making a lot of noise, Scott Lashley riding the pine at Bama, etc. And those have been the best the state has had to offer. Of course it doesn't help that we are missing on these guys, but our margin of error is so small when focusing on MS kids that we pretty much have to be able to hedge our bets with out of state kids, at least at that particular position.

Todd4State
12-21-2016, 03:10 PM
I think a lot gets laid at Hevesy's feet (and for good reason), but this is also an area where our localized recruiting approach also really bites us in the ass. Mississippi as a whole just doesn't produce many good OL guys, period. And since that is where we focus an overwhelming majority of our resources, its not surprising that we aren't able to pull in top flight OL. MS doesn't produce any good QB's either, but Mullen has been able to work around that to land 3 overlooked gems in a row now from out of state in Dak, Fitz, and KT. Thus far, we have not found a similar workaround for the offensive line. T-Buck reaching into Florida for Reese was a good start, but we need to pull 3 or 4 guys like that every single year.

Just think for a second about the recent Top HS offensive linemen from MS and where they are now. You have Rod Taylor, Javon Patterson, and Deronte Bouldin not making a lot of noise, Scott Lashley riding the pine at Bama, etc. And those have been the best the state has had to offer. Of course it doesn't help that we are missing on these guys, but our margin of error is so small when focusing on MS kids that we pretty much have to be able to hedge our bets with out of state kids, at least at that particular position.

It really doesn't help when you have Sahdiq Charles at MRA saying he just hears more from LSU and we won't give John Dale a look because he didn't show up to camp which apparently isn't stopping Memphis. There are enough o-line prospects in Mississippi in two year cycle to put together a good o-line. Jackie did it.

Bucky Dog
12-21-2016, 03:13 PM

Um, OK!! These teams do this EVERY year. And yeah could we use a few of those? For sure. But maybe we should give some credit for development of our sorry ass recruits and note that we had a sophomore QB break rushing records and passing yards, and also lit up teams with our RB the last part of the season, while also decreasing sacks on Fitz!

If I say, "heck yes, you are right again" will that be better?

Offshore Dawg
12-21-2016, 03:16 PM
Yes "WE" do, so how are "WE" going to accomplish this.

Thick
12-21-2016, 03:35 PM

Rushing offense -- 5th
Sacks allowed -- 2nd
TFL allowed -- 4th

Not bad, but think about how good we would be with very good OL in Dan's offense. We would be beating LSU, AU, and threatening Bama year in and year out.

Todd4State
12-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Not bad, but think about how good we would be with very good OL in Dan's offense. We would be beating LSU, AU, and threatening Bama year in and year out.

THIS^^^^^^

HSVDawg
12-21-2016, 03:41 PM
It really doesn't help when you have Sahdiq Charles at MRA saying he just hears more from LSU and we won't give John Dale a look because he didn't show up to camp which apparently isn't stopping Memphis. There are enough o-line prospects in Mississippi in two year cycle to put together a good o-line. Jackie did it.

Respectfully disagree. Jackie's work around was that he made a living off the JUCO system before they tightened the academic requirements for JUCO's coming into the SEC. Pork Chop, Randy Thomas, Courtney Lee, Tommy Watson, etc. were all JUCO guys. And once the well ran dry starting around 2001, you saw the results with the MS high school offensive linemen (or lack thereof) that we had out there protecting Fant in 2002-2003.

There are maybe 2 or 3 legit SEC offensive linemen produced each year in MS. In an absolute best case scenario, we will be able to split with OM and land 1 or 2 of them per year. That best case scenario may be a little better for us in the short term with the OM probation, but it won't be sustainable. I'm of the opinion that you need to sign 4-5 good OL every single year if we are going to get to a top tier SEC OL. So even if we get a clean sweep in the MS high school ranks we are still going to need a lot of out of state help. No way around it.

Todd4State
12-21-2016, 03:48 PM
We had an o-line that had: Lee Ford (Starkville), Michael Montgomery (MS), Kenny Stewart (Meridian), John James (Florida) and Bill Sartin (MS) in 1991.

In 1980 our o-line started four Mississippians- Hull, Wayne Harris, Roman Grace, and Alan Massey.

It can be done. But we have to find them and develop them and not chase around some random o-lineman in Florida.

Todd4State
12-21-2016, 03:52 PM
Ole Miss's o-line in 2003;

Sawyer- Centreville Academy
Doug Buckles-Madison Central
Tre Stallings- McComb area can't remember high school.
Woodruff- Oxford
Chris Spencer- Madison Central

It can be done. That was 2003.

I think Marcus Johnson started as well. He was from Coffeeville.

HSVDawg
12-21-2016, 03:57 PM
We had an o-line that had: Lee Ford (Starkville), Michael Montgomery (MS), Kenny Stewart (Meridian), John James (Florida) and Bill Sartin (MS) in 1991.

In 1980 our o-line started four Mississippians- Hull, Wayne Harris, Roman Grace, and Alan Massey.

It can be done. But we have to find them and develop them and not chase around some random o-lineman in Florida.

There is no doubt it can be done sporadically, but 2 years in the last 36 where we had a majority of MS high school kids starting on the OL is not a very large sample size. For us to be effective, we can't have any misses on the recruiting side or the talent evaluation side. We have to identify those 2 or 3 kids every year who are SEC caliber (and with OL it is about 50/50 as to those guys being well thought of by the recruiting services) and bat 1.000 on landing them when recruiting against OM, Bama, LSU, etc. Even if we had Nick Saban himself, I think it would still be too much to ask for us to do.

I really do think we can lean on in-state kids to fill most of the key spots at every other position on the field except OL and QB. But we've got to lean very heavily on out of state kids in those areas.

dawgday166
12-21-2016, 03:59 PM
It probably depends on the year. When a year doesn't have upper-tier in-state OL recruits, go out of state. When the year does have some upper-tier recruits, make sure they don't get stolen by Bama.

HSVDawg
12-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Ole Miss's o-line in 2003;

Sawyer- Centreville Academy
Doug Buckles-Madison Central
Tre Stallings- McComb area can't remember high school.
Woodruff- Oxford
Chris Spencer- Madison Central

It can be done. That was 2003.

I think Marcus Johnson started as well. He was from Coffeeville.

Good example. And that somewhat supports what I was saying earlier in that we'd have to get a clean sweep. The lineup you posted above is a result of OM getting every good OL in MS over a 2 or 3 year period due to Jackie's JUCO heavy strategy that eventually bit him in the ass. Go look at our OL roster during those same years and see how many MS high school signees we had that were productive.

Todd4State
12-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Good example. And that somewhat supports what I was saying earlier in that we'd have to get a clean sweep. The lineup you posted above is a result of OM getting every good OL in MS over a 2 or 3 year period due to Jackie's JUCO heavy strategy that eventually bit him in the ass. Go look at our OL roster during those same years and see how many MS high school signees we had that were productive.

Sawyer and Woodruff weren't highly rated. The problem I think is there are good prospects but we don't give enough of them a chance and they go somewhere else and develop. There are very few Derek Sherrod's who are just obviously legit. But we don't take the time on the guys that are raw and we miss a lot it seems because of that. It's not that much different than the other positions we used to miss at but stopped when Dan started to focus on Mississippi more.

HSVDawg
12-21-2016, 04:28 PM
Sawyer and Woodruff weren't highly rated. The problem I think is there are good prospects but we don't give enough of them a chance and they go somewhere else and develop. There are very few Derek Sherrod's who are just obviously legit. But we don't take the time on the guys that are raw and we miss a lot it seems because of that. It's not that much different than the other positions we used to miss at but stopped when Dan started to focus on Mississippi more.

That's the thing. OL is (by far) the hardest position to evaluate on the recruiting trail. And they don't grow on trees anywhere really, especially not in MS. That is why it is so difficult to put yourself in a box with who ypu go after.

I actually think we've done a better job than most on the evaluation side with finding guys like Clayborn, Story, Calhoun, Jenkins, and others. But at some point you have to reel in the obvious studs to push you over the top into the upper echelon of the conference. And there just aren't enough of those guys in state.

NWADAWG
12-21-2016, 04:32 PM
I spoke to a former player (from the Croom era) a couple days ago about the team and it's future. He singled out hevesy and said he was a good coach fwiw.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-21-2016, 04:38 PM
OL is so hard to rate. I look at the size of the guy rather than the stars on OL

Todd4State
12-21-2016, 04:47 PM
That's the thing. OL is (by far) the hardest position to evaluate on the recruiting trail. And they don't grow on trees anywhere really, especially not in MS. That is why it is so difficult to put yourself in a box with who ypu go after.

I actually think we've done a better job than most on the evaluation side with finding guys like Clayborn, Story, Calhoun, Jenkins, and others. But at some point you have to reel in the obvious studs to push you over the top into the upper echelon of the conference. And there just aren't enough of those guys in state.

You are right that we need to reel in the obviously good ones. I definitely agree on that and I do agree that we have found some good diamonds on the rough as well. But the thing that gets me and frustrates me is Hevesy will only get three of them at a time some years when we need to be getting at least five a year.

smootness
12-21-2016, 04:49 PM
Pretty scary to see other schools loading up at OL, while we continue to make no effort.

It's scary to see Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, and LSU loading up?

Look, I get that our OL recruiting has been pretty subpar and that our OL play hasn't been consistently great. But our weakness there has also been blown out of proportion. We've been pretty good on the OL more often than not under Hevesy, and our offense as a whole has thrived. No, we haven't done anything against Bama and not a ton against LSU. I don't think the entire solution there is 'recruit better OL'. And even if that was the entire solution, it's a little tougher than just 'Stop being lazy.'

Again, this is Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, and LSU. I'm sorry if I'm not up in arms because we don't recruit as well as they do.

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-21-2016, 05:09 PM
Miss. doesn't produce a lot of top flight talent, but when it does it wouldn't seem quite as bad either if we did land the Shadiq Charles' and Scott Lashley's of the world. We can't even do that. We sure as hell aren't taking any 4 or 5 stars from neighboring states.

Baseball- we get the majority of instate. Tradition.
Basketball- we get more than the majority of instate. We make it happen.
Football- we get half at best. We don't make it happen. We need to make it happen.

Homedawg
12-21-2016, 05:15 PM
While I understand the frustration of our OL recruiting, Here's what I don't understand, at what position do we equal those previously mentioned? None. Not one. And never will on an annual basis. And where is the outrage at our dl recruiting? Or dl sucked this year. Awful all year. Or the secondary? Just asking.

NCDawg
12-21-2016, 05:19 PM
I spoke to a former player (from the Croom era) a couple days ago about the team and it's future. He singled out hevesy and said he was a good coach fwiw.

fwiw, not much. Everybody knows we will never win the SECW as long as Hevesy is the OL coach. We might as well realize that as a fact. Hevesy will be here as long as Mullen is here. He is Mullen's friend and Mullen will not fire him, regardless of how sorry our OL plays... Just like Croom and McCorvey.

Homedawg
12-21-2016, 05:29 PM
fwiw, not much. Everybody knows we will never win the SECW as long as Hevesy is the OL coach. We might as well realize that as a fact. Hevesy will be here as long as Mullen is here. He is Mullen's friend and Mullen will not fire him, regardless of how sorry our OL plays... Just like Croom and McCorvey.

Considering we haven't won the west ever and haven't won the league in 75 years The odds say we will never win the west as long as (fill in the blank) is our ol coach.

CadaverDawg
12-21-2016, 05:34 PM
Javon Patterson
Rod Taylor
Sean Rawlings
Matt Womack
Scott Lashley
Sadiq Charles

Would be great additions to our roster imo. All Mississippi kids. Gotta make em an every day priority or you won't get em. Still may not. But if you miss, you better be a damn good developer, and it is taking too long into the season for Hev to put a serviceable group on the field. So either way it seems like "lazy" is the problem. Is he too lazy to do anything & everything it takes to get em....or too lazy to get these guys prepared at a more rapid pace? He's got to be able to do one of the other....if not, we call that "in over your head". Either recruit better or develop quicker, since you obviously can't do both.

I'm not asking for "perfect", but in order to keep a job like he has, you gotta be better than this at some form of your job. We cannot look like hammered cat shit against the USA and BYU's of the world, and just say "well at least our offensive numbers ended up good at year's end"....he's not paid to be a halfassed recruiter & a coach for 6-7 games. He can coach at a lower division for that shit

NCDawg
12-21-2016, 05:34 PM
Considering we haven't won the west ever and haven't won the league in 75 years The odds say we will never win the west as long as (fill in the blank) is our ol coach.

So we didn't win the SECW in '98?

confucius say
12-21-2016, 05:37 PM
Our ol was good enough to go 8-4 easily this year, in a rebuilding year, if we commit to Aries and fitz all year and our defense is just average. Maybe 9-3 (ky, ark, Usa, and maybe byu). Ol was down the list of problems this year.

CadaverDawg
12-21-2016, 05:44 PM
Our ol was good enough to go 8-4 easily this year, in a rebuilding year, if we commit to Aries and fitz all year and our defense is just average. Maybe 9-3 (ky, ark, Usa, and maybe byu). Ol was down the list of problems this year.

Not in the first half of the year...it was #1 problem. And I thought Hev was Running Game Coordinator? Wouldn't that title enable one to say "get that damn midget out of my backfield and put one of our 4 SEC RB's in there"? I'm genuinely curious

Homedawg
12-21-2016, 06:09 PM
So we didn't win the SECW in '98?

Fair enough, meant league, said otherwise, just not what I intended.

Homedawg
12-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Javon Patterson
Rod Taylor
Sean Rawlings
Matt Womack
Scott Lashley
Sadiq Charles

Would be great additions to our roster imo. All Mississippi kids. Gotta make em an every day priority or you won't get em. Still may not. But if you miss, you better be a damn good developer, and it is taking too long into the season for Hev to put a serviceable group on the field. So either way it seems like "lazy" is the problem. Is he too lazy to do anything & everything it takes to get em....or too lazy to get these guys prepared at a more rapid pace? He's got to be able to do one of the other....if not, we call that "in over your head". Either recruit better or develop quicker, since you obviously can't do both.

I'm not asking for "perfect", but in order to keep a job like he has, you gotta be better than this at some form of your job. We cannot look like hammered cat shit against the USA and BYU's of the world, and just say "well at least our offensive numbers ended up good at year's end"....he's not paid to be a halfassed recruiter & a coach for 6-7 games. He can coach at a lower division for that shit

I agree we can't lose all those guys and expect to be good. Can't happen.

Ari Gold
12-21-2016, 06:49 PM
While I understand the frustration of our OL recruiting, Here's what I don't understand, at what position do we equal those previously mentioned? None. Not one. And never will on an annual basis. And where is the outrage at our dl recruiting? Or dl sucked this year. Awful all year. Or the secondary? Just asking.

5 OL ( 2 tackles , 2 guards , 1 center)
4 DL ( 2 DE , 2 DT )

OL in NFL since 2011 - 2
DL in NFL since 2011- 5

Not counting in drafted Denico Autry who has had a soild NFL career. So there's 6

And no top to bottom we will never recruit like the " big boys " but with more effort there is no reason not to recruit the OL better..

Political Hack
12-21-2016, 06:54 PM
We should never lack for depth being in MS, but we need to go grab the can't miss studs that are obvious too. That's where we could truly separate ourselves. Go get a couple of tackles that won't get abused by Bama's DL and we can play ball with anyone. It's damn near that simple. And for whatever reason, we won't go after them.

lamont
12-21-2016, 07:13 PM
1. We didn't have enough talent on the OL to go 8-4 because we didn't. We should have hung 50 on USA
2. Why can't we sign 1 4-star guy a recruiting period? That's not asking much
3. All this talk of 8-9 wins is garbage. We play a much tougher schedule next year and we must replace 3 starters on the OL-including our Center
4. Hevesy is a good OL coach. He however is not a good recruiter of OL talent. In just 3 weeks last year- T-Buck signed our top rated OL signee.

Everybody has the Egg Bowl fuzzies- but the same problems remain

HoopsDawg
12-21-2016, 08:10 PM
1. We didn't have enough talent on the OL to go 8-4 because we didn't. We should have hung 50 on USA
3. All this talk of 8-9 wins is garbage. We play a much tougher schedule next year and we must replace 3 starters on the OL-including our Center
4. Hevesy is a good OL coach. He however is not a good recruiter of OL talent. In just 3 weeks last year- T-Buck signed our top rated OL signee.

Facts.

Homedawg
12-21-2016, 09:05 PM
5 OL ( 2 tackles , 2 guards , 1 center)
4 DL ( 2 DE , 2 DT )

OL in NFL since 2011 - 2
DL in NFL since 2011- 5

Not counting in drafted Denico Autry who has had a soild NFL career. So there's 6

And no top to bottom we will never recruit like the " big boys " but with more effort there is no reason not to recruit the OL better..

Won't argue w anything you said. I've posted numerous times we need to be better on the ol talent wise no doubt. But our dl was worse than out ol this year and nobody is having a stroke about it.....

Homedawg
12-21-2016, 09:06 PM

Good post

Political Hack
12-21-2016, 10:04 PM
Won't argue w anything you said. I've posted numerous times we need to be better on the ol talent wise no doubt. But our dl was worse than out ol this year and nobody is having a stroke about it.....

That's also true, but we seem to consistently have NFL level DL and we never have NFL level OL.

Goldendawg
12-21-2016, 11:02 PM
I'm more than happy we embarrassed UNM 55 -20 for their worse beat down by us in 100 years, but I don't have the 2016 "Egg Bowl Fuzzies". We were a 5 - 7 team that lost to USA, KY, and BYU and it wasn't on the so called last play either. We lost for many bad plays or the failure to make needed plays throughout those games on O and D. So whose fault is it that it took the team about half the year for the OL to develop or for a 200 lb TB to finally start, the OL Coach/Running Game Coordinator, the RB Coach, or the Head Coach? Will we see the same slow development of the new OL in 2017 with Senioritis at other positions again or will the best players play? I read a recent article on 24/7 about a JR. D player to be and he mentioned his own improvement, his own improved leadership growth, the younger player improvement behind him and said he hoped the incoming JC players could add depth, didn't mention their names when 3 will play his position. Will he be ready for competition, will the JC players have to Reshirt/wait their turn? I wonder.

lamont
12-21-2016, 11:38 PM
That's also true, but we seem to consistently have NFL level DL and we never have NFL level OL.

this all day. We regularly put DL players on NFL rosters- but not from the OL

Goldendawg
12-21-2016, 11:47 PM
I don't think a Hev era OL recruit has even been drafted. Wasn't Gabe Jackson a Croom recruit?

the59dawg
12-21-2016, 11:59 PM

Rushing offense -- 5th
Sacks allowed -- 2nd
TFL allowed -- 4th

That looks pretty good to have such pitiful players and sh---y coach.:confused:

NCDawg
12-22-2016, 12:27 AM
I don't think a Hev era OL recruit has even been drafted. Wasn't Gabe Jackson a Croom recruit?

Yes.

J Paul Ronvonski III
12-22-2016, 12:48 AM

You hit the nail on the head about the Ole Miss game and it's not being addressed. It just doesn't look like having a great OL is a priority and to me it's the most important position on offense. If you can run the ball well, you can open up your offense and do a lot of things. Jackie said there were players in MS and Alabama that were underrated who would be 5 stars in Texas. Pork Chop and David Stewart are 2 that come to mind and the big tackle out of Georgia that replaced Pork Chop. These players are still here, we just aren't getting them. The Estes kid from the coast looked good in the AL-MS alstar game. Does know if we are recruiting him. I think he's committed to LA Tech? We are going to have to get better at this position if we want to compete for a championship.