PDA

View Full Version : OT question for the board RE: cell phone , internet and cable providers.

Bully13
12-21-2016, 12:09 PM
I'm 17ing DONE with AT&T. they are simply too damn expensive and I can't afford this shit any more.

$300 for my 3 phones and $250 for my cable and internet is just not going to cut it anymore.

I've heard Verizon has good deals going on right now but I've heard their internet has interruptions on occasion that concerns me. my 12 year old is a "gamer" (mostly mindcraft) and digs the internet tremendously. we also depend highly on talking via video with our family down in South America.

do they have good cable deals?

I've got a premium package with U-Verse. damn good service but not worth $250 17ing per month. I like my ESPN, sports channels , my history and military channels. I also like my discovery and all the nature channels. I like my cable news channels. Fox, and even the liberal ones cuz I like to see what the other dudes are saying occasionally.

any ideas and info would be greatly appreciated my fellow Dogs. . thanks in advance. I kinda wanna be "armed" before I go in and talk to the sales people.

SaintDawg
12-21-2016, 12:17 PM
Check out CSpire Fiber. See if their service is available in your area. I have ATT too and agree that it's pricey.

Dawgface
12-21-2016, 12:20 PM
I pay $35/mo to Comcast for 25mbps internet. Another $35 for Playstation Vue which includes all the sports channels you mention. Might not have all the channels you want but the service is darn good with dvr and on-demand viewing. And I pay $30/mo to Pageplus for my cell service. They use Verizon's NW. Many plans to pick from if you need more data than my plan(only 1GB). I don't use data much on my phone so it works for me.

There are plenty of options out there if you are serious about cutting cost. May have to compromise a little tho.

HSVDawg
12-21-2016, 12:29 PM
I feel your pain with AT&T. Currently paying over $200 per month just for UVerse internet and DirecTV and I don't even get any premium channels. I did switch our cell phones over to Verizon. Honestly haven't noticed much of a difference in my area in terms of coverage from AT&T, but the monthly bill is currently $125 for two lines and 10GB of shared data which is about $35 leas than I was paying to AT&T for unlimited data. We have considered a switch to Sling TV because we can still get just about all the channels we want for a little over a third of the cost, but haven't pulled the trigger quite yet (mainly because I've been really pleased with the picture quality from DTV vs. pretty much every other provider I've had). Might make the call soon to the cancellations department to get them to offer me the promo pricing for a 2 year agreement, but we'll see.

Johnson85
12-21-2016, 12:45 PM
I'm 17ing DONE with AT&T. they are simply too damn expensive and I can't afford this shit any more.

$300 for my 3 phones and $250 for my cable and internet is just not going to cut it anymore.

I've heard Verizon has good deals going on right now but I've heard their internet has interruptions on occasion that concerns me. my 12 year old is a "gamer" (mostly mindcraft) and digs the internet tremendously. we also depend highly on talking via video with our family down in South America.

I've got a premium package with U-Verse. damn good service but not worth $250 17ing per month. I like my ESPN, sports channels , my history and military channels. I also like my discovery and all the nature channels. I like my cable news channels. Fox, and even the liberal ones cuz I like to see what the other dudes are saying occasionally.

any ideas and info would be greatly appreciated my fellow Dogs. . thanks in advance. I kinda wanna be "armed" before I go in and talk to the sales people.

Damn, that is expensive. Direct TV for ~$75 (no premium movie channels but all the ESPN and SEC Network channels). Cellphone through Verizon, two lines for ~$180 per month, and then $55 for cable internet. And even there we are getting hosed on our cell phone bill. I will say that cable internet is starting to suck. Not sure if it's too much traffic in teh area or what but I have to use cellphone data a lot at the house because the cable internet has gotten so bad.

TUSK
12-21-2016, 01:10 PM

Others on here helped me earlier this year and will be better to help than I. (I got Sling (w ESPN) $35... Netflix $7... Internet is ~$60...)

But I will tell you how to be "armed". Come from a position of "fvck you". This actually happened:

DirectTV: Direct TV, this is Steve, may I help you?
Tusk: Steve, I would like to cancel DTV. Would you send me some prepaid boxes so that I may return your equipment?
DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, we would be happy to reapply your discounts to lower your rate, as your are a valued customer.
Tusk: Steve, I would like to cancel DTV. Would you send me some prepaid boxes so that I may return your equipment?
DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, I'll come over and mow your lawn if you'll stay with DTV.*
Tusk: Steve, I want to cancel.
DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, you have a contract with us and it will cost you $200 to cancel. You have a contract.
Tusk: Yeah, and you broke your own contract by raising my rates, and I'm not gonna pay it.
DirectTV: But, we'll sue you, and you'll have to go to court.
Tusk: I'm not gonna pay it. Are you going to come to my house to collect this money, Steve? Are you going to come and take me to court?
(Steve seems like a cool guy just trying to do his job, and he's on to me, now)
DirectTV: No sir.
Tusk: Ok. So, we agree that you aren't coming to my house and that I'm not giving you any more money. Do you like options, in life, Steve?
DirectTV: Yes sir.
Tusk: Well, Steve, here are your options: You can A) Send me prepaid boxes with which to return your equipment or B) I am going to take my 47 HP 4WD tractor, dig a hole in my pasture, bury it, and compact the soil back on top of it.
DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, I choose Option A; the boxes will go in the mail today.
Tusk: Thanks for your time, Steve. Have a great day.
DirectTV: Good Bye, Mr. Tusk.

Commercecomet24
12-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Others on here helped me earlier this year and will be better to help than I. (I got Sling (w ESPN) $35... Netflix $7... Internet is ~$60...)

But I will tell you how to be "armed". Come from a position of "fvck you". This actually happened:

DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, we would be happy to reapply your discounts to lower your rate, as your are a valued customer.
DirectTV: Mr. Tusk, you have a contract with us and it will cost you $200 to cancel. You have a contract.
Tusk: Yeah, and you broke your own contract by raising my rates, and I'm not gonna pay it.
Tusk: I'm not gonna pay it. Are you going to come to my house to collect this money, Steve? Are you going to come and take me to court?
Tusk: Ok. So, we agree that you aren't coming to my house and that I'm not giving you any more money. Do you like options, in life, Steve?
Tusk: Well, Steve, here are your options: You can A) Send me prepaid boxes with which to return your equipment or B) I am going to take my 47 HP 4WD tractor, dig a hole in my pasture, bury it, and compact the soil back on top of it.

lol I went through almost the same thing when I cancelled directv!

SaintDawg
12-21-2016, 01:46 PM

It is courage to accept TUSK

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-21-2016, 04:02 PM
Yeah, AT&T is high and I wish there was another option, but with my bundle discounts it's hard to do. I pay about $50/month for Uverse Internet and Basic Uverse TV in HD (local channels). Since I also have ATT wireless for cell phone plans I'm not restricted on my data limits. Add on a Playstation Vue $35 plan and it's all you need.

RocketDawg
12-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Bully, it kind of sounds like your cell phone trouble can be traced to data usage. Can you cut back on that? I have two phones with Verizon for something under $100/month. Unlimited everything except for 2 GB data, but it rolls over. I don't download movies or music using my phone and almost all the data usage comes through my internet provider, which is unlimited. Dish and internet/landline cost me about $220/month.

sleepy dawg
12-21-2016, 06:01 PM
DO NOT GET COMCAST!!!!!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

The only people who like Comcast are those who've never had anything else and don't realize they are the worst company to do business with EVER.

I have AT&T internet, DirecTV, and C Spire phones.

I will move everything to C Spire as soon as they get to my area. Although I am pleased with my AT&T internet, C Spire's internet speeds crush AT&Ts speeds and prices.

BHildreth3
12-21-2016, 10:04 PM
Regular Comcast sucks, but if you can get Comcast Business it's great. Dedicated IP, etc. no sharing with neighbors and if it goes out they will come to your house within 2 hours....and no you don't have to have a business to get service.

WSOPdawg
12-21-2016, 10:15 PM
No specifics to add other than the two companies I loathe the most are Comcast / Xfinity AND ATT... and in the Tupelo area, these are my two options.

Dawgface
12-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Comcast is my only option. In my area it works well. I had At&t in another neighborhood and it sucked. Even the At&t repairman said he used Comcast internet. Everyone's mileage various.....

notsofarawaydawg
12-21-2016, 11:24 PM
AT&T Uverse seems to be the most stable in my area for internet. At my address I can only get up to 6 Mbps download but that is plenty for me. I was subscribed to SlingTV but a month ago changed to Playstation VUE. For $5 more per month I got a much better channel lineup. What I like best is the capability to watch TV on my iPhone or iPad. It's $35 a month compared to the $130 I was paying for Cable One service.

Martianlander
12-22-2016, 08:43 AM
No specifics to add other than the two companies I loathe the most are Comcast / Xfinity AND ATT... and in the Tupelo area, these are my two options.

I'm in that boat with you. Customer service is terrible with both of them, but as you say not many options.

Martianlander
12-23-2016, 09:03 AM
WSOP-when you get a chance check your PM's.

Coackjek
12-23-2016, 02:43 PM
DO NOT GET COMCAST!!!!!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

The only people who like Comcast are those who've never had anything else and don't realize they are the worst company to do business with EVER.

I have AT&T internet, DirecTV, and C Spire phones.

I will move everything to C Spire as soon as they get to my area. Although I am pleased with my AT&T internet, C Spire's internet speeds crush AT&Ts speeds and prices.

I feel the same about att as you do comcast. I've had only one issue with Comcast in the 9+ years I've dealt with them. Showed up when they said and took care of issues promptly without the run around. Att on the other hand took an act of congress to get issues settled.

yjnkdawg
12-24-2016, 10:36 AM
I have had DTV for around 17 years and think the picture quality is great. I have gotten a few perks for being a "loyal customer" every so often, but nothing like new subscribers get. I have AT&T DSL which is a joke, as it runs about 1.5 gb/s on the average. Even one of their engineers agreed that was not sufficient for streaming. I had AT&T wireless for many years, and have had C Spire for the last couple of years. I have been pretty pleased with C Spire. C Spire was the first in the area to offer 4G, and that was one of the reasons for the switch over. About 3 month ago AT&T's contractors put the orange conduits down, in our neighborhood for their fiber optic cable, that is supposed to be 1 GiG service, but if you read the fine print, you really don't know what you are supposed to get, the cost or when it will actually be available. I have been waiting on Uverse for over 4 years, after they came to our city, and now I guess I will continue to wait. lol