PDA

View Full Version : Preseason baseball poll - #61

confucius say
12-20-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm not expecting much this year, but 61?

http://baseballnews.com/collegiate-baseball-2017-pre-season-poll-12-19-16

CadaverDawg
12-20-2016, 05:15 PM
Haha

AusTexDawg
12-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Seems like they only looked at what we lost to the draft and nothing else.

Todd4State
12-20-2016, 05:19 PM
I think we will be in that poll by the end of the year.

Todd4State
12-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Seems like they only looked at what we lost to the draft and nothing else.

Definitely not a lot of research done. As long as Pilkington is good we will be fine. We should be solid.

SaintDawg
12-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Don't sweat it. Much wasn't expected last season either. You must have patience, grasshopper. Our kung fu is strong.

msbulldog
12-20-2016, 05:24 PM
We're MSU, we never get any respect in any sport. We will prove the very wrong and then we can make fun of them.

MetEdDawg
12-20-2016, 05:25 PM
This might be a good thing. You think this will light a fire under our ass? From what I've seen of Cannizaro, I've got to imagine he's gonna take that personally and use that to fuel us.

Steakonastick
12-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Ha bet that poll can only name two players on our team in rooker and mangum. We have tons of talent it's just very green. If we can stay healthy I predict we will be that bubble team on the outside of hosting a regional.

Homedawg
12-20-2016, 06:24 PM
I think we are a bottom end at large team. But that's way better than 61.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 06:38 PM
61 is awesome!

munk_munk92
12-20-2016, 08:03 PM
I thought we would be pretty good this year if not better. I thought we had a bunch of young talent that were gonna be pretty good. Who all did we lose from last year?

Steakonastick
12-20-2016, 08:16 PM
Hudson, sexton, brown, humpreys, Collins, Kruger, Lowe, Robson, Houston, and Tatum.

I seen it dawg
12-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Lol yeah that's a lot of veteran innings

Homedawg
12-20-2016, 09:42 PM
Hudson, sexton, brown, humpreys, Collins, Kruger, Lowe, Robson, Houston, and Tatum.

And small and Padgett to Tommy John. Hughes too. Plus ford coming off tj.

munk_munk92
12-21-2016, 02:48 AM
Damn, yeah that's a lot more than I realized. Hopefully the younger talent can catch on quick.

Political Hack
12-21-2016, 09:36 AM
We'll be better hitting this season, which will take a lot of pressure off the young pitchers. We have a chance to be pretty good if they're given time to get some confidence and we hit well consistently.

Todd4State
12-21-2016, 09:48 AM
We'll be better hitting this season, which will take a lot of pressure off the young pitchers. We have a chance to be pretty good if they're given time to get some confidence and we hit well consistently.

I don't know about us being a better hitting team. Losing Kruger, Lowe, and Collins hurts. We definitely won't have as much power. We're going to have to create and use our speed to create runs more than last year and we had some problems getting thrown out stealing bases in the fall. Granted Lovelady is really good defensively.

HSVDawg
12-21-2016, 10:01 AM
I must be one of the few that thinks that ranking is accurate. We lost pretty much everything offensively except Mangum and Rooker, lost our Friday and Saturday starters, lost like 4 guys expected to step up on the mound to injuries in summer ball, and on top of all that we had a complete turnover of the coaching staff.

We may not be completely awful, but the 2017 season is gonna be a lot closer to 2015 than 2016. I'll be absolutely thrilled if we make the tournament.

BB30
12-21-2016, 10:07 AM
We have a solid young group of guys. I am worried about our rotation. We will definitely have to have a couple of arms step up if we want to make some noise this year. When you lose 2/3 of a weekend rotation that won the SEC and got you to the supers you have some big shoes to fill and I am not sure we have enough polished elite arms to cover up that loss. We definitely have some young pitching prospects with the potential to be elite but they will have to figure it out quick. There will probably be some very frustrating games early on going into the beginning of SEC play.

As fans it is easy to panic early in a season, but let it play out, those guys will continue to develop and the best tool for that is experience. Hudson was a high ceiling guy that didn't really figure it out until the end of his jr year and really his jr summer. Some guys just take a little bit longer to get comfortable and figure it out. A lot of these kids are coming from playing in front of a couple hundred people at the most to playing in front of 7-10,000 against lineups that are stacked. In high school most of these kids could get by with throwing FB by 90% of the hitters they faced. Even including a lot of the travel ball teams they played, they were still able to dominate most of the teams they played outside of one or two here or there. The stress level was not nearly as high as it is going to be, they will have to learn they cant take batters off because UF's 9 hole guy is still going to be a tough out etc.

RougeDawg
12-21-2016, 11:00 AM
If the players accept the coaching we will be improved (will also confirm whether or not Johnny was teaching the game. A current player told me he wasn't). I will hold judgment until year two on the offense because the change was made late in the year for much teaching of better hitting mechanics and their incorporation. Will not surprise me if we have another year before the Cannizzaro technique is fully incorporated into our offense. Takes a good 6 months of work to change a swing for the better.