PDA

View Full Version : Two baseball notes:

MsStateBaseball
09-05-2013, 08:23 PM
I saw where Ross Mitchell had hip surgery, he posted this on Instagram, said he will not play in fall should be good for spring. Also, 2014 commit OF Joey Swinarski has enrolled a year early. He will give us more depth in OF. Maybe fall roster will come out soon.

TrueMaroon
09-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Whats the story on Swinarski? How many years of eligibility?

MsStateBaseball
09-05-2013, 08:31 PM
I don't know why he enrolled early but he Prob loves State and baseball.

engie
09-05-2013, 10:05 PM
That's huge. Swinarski is a beast -- and we avoid a huge draft questionmark by him doing this.

He's 6'3 and a PG 9.5... possibly the most "elite" highschool prospect that has made it to campus under Cohen. He's another borderline elite power threat from the outfield.

Gene's bio:

Joey Swinarski, OF, 6-3, 192, R-R, The First Academy (Winter Park FL)
His honors include being selected to the Pefect Game 2013 Preseason All-American Underclass 2nd Team and the PG 2012 Preseason All-American Underclass Team as an Honorable Mention selection ... He is ranked among the top 100 players in the nation by national scouting service Perfect Game ... He was also selected to the 2012 Perfect Game 17U World Wood Bat Assocation All-Tournament Team after hitting .415 for the tourney .... During the 2013 season he hit .325 with 7 home runs and 18 RBI. He also had a .458 on-base percentage ... He chose MSU over interest from Florida, Florida State, Miami (FL), North Carolina, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss and South Carolina

messageboardsuperhero
09-05-2013, 10:11 PM
Wait, Swinarski will be able to play in 2014? If so, wow. That will be VERY interesting for the outfield rotation this year.

I wouldn't expect him to start or play much right away. He's at least a year younger than everyone else, but I'd be surprised if he didn't at least somewhat contribute. Swinarski has too much talent not to.

Todd4State
09-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Whats the story on Swinarski? How many years of eligibility?

Four years like everyone else. It does change the complexion of the outfield a little bit. CT will be the CF, but now Robson and Demarcus will either start or they will platoon with each other in left field.

Todd4State
09-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Wait, Swinarski will be able to play in 2014? If so, wow. That will be VERY interesting for the outfield rotation this year.

I wouldn't expect him to start or play much right away. He's at least a year younger than everyone else, but I'd be surprised if he didn't at least somewhat contribute. Swinarski has too much talent not to.

I agree- I suspect that he could have a year like Robson did as a freshman unless he actually wins the right field job.

AlSwearengen
09-05-2013, 11:01 PM
so swinarski is already on campus? Or he is coming in for the spring semester? Depending on his age and our outfield situation, how likely is it that he redshirts?

Todd4State
09-05-2013, 11:03 PM
so swinarski is already on campus? Or he is coming in for the spring semester? Depending on his age and our outfield situation, how likely is it that he redshirts?

He's on campus. I doubt we redshirt him since he has power potential. Redshirting in baseball is almost pointless with these roster limits and the MLB draft. Sure, it's good for some people like Ross Mitchell, but it's not really the norm.

messageboardsuperhero
09-05-2013, 11:13 PM

You don't enroll early to ride the pine. You might in football if you are an OL or QB but not in baseball, especially if you have Swinarski's ability. He will play.

engie
09-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Again -- Perfect Game 9.5 -- one of the top 100 JRs in the country -- and was projected to be a very high draft pick. Guy also averaged about a homer/12ab over his entire highschool career -- and 1/10ab his JR(final) year. For reference, Renfroe hit a homer every 16ab last season for us...

I'm not saying Swinarski hits with that type of power early in his MSU career, but you certainly don't redshirt that type of talent...