PDA

View Full Version : Eli Wright and a couple basketball thoughts...

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 01:20 PM
Not trying to start shit here just wondering why he saw zero minutes last night while Strugg and a couple walk-ons got around 5 minutes each? He was on the bench dressed just never took off the warmups. Also Stapleton had a nice debut for an almost two year layoff and he has great size and hops for a guard. He is a good addition.
Peters is the best of the freshman and it's not even close. He looks like a future pro to me. Time will tell if that's NBA or Italy but he'll be making money to play basketball 3-4 years from now. I love his confidence. Wish Kegler would have that same confidence but have it down low instead of always only looking for 3pointers. Nobody could stop Kegler around the block yet he doesn't seem to understand that or that he's bigger and more athletic than everyone. He needs to live with Howland. With the right person in his ear he can be an NBA player or he can continue the confused path he's walking right now and he'll follow the Malik Newman route to not getting drafted. Howland is doing him a disservice right now by allowing him to jackup only 3's. Did he shoot anything else but 3's last night? I just can't imagine being that big and more athletic than everyone on the court and only wanting to shoot 3's. Something wrong with that mindset. Fix it Howland or Kegler is gone real soon. He'll get butthurt and frustrated cause he's not getting all the glory yet he doesn't understand what he needs to do to get all the glory. It's real simple Kegler. STAY DOWN LOW! Is he not working on post moves during practice?

Big4Dawg
12-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Wright was hurt. Sprained ankle

MarketingBully
12-20-2016, 01:27 PM
Wright had a sprained ankle and they held him out last night. He should be able to go on Thursday though. I agree to an extent on Kegler. He needs to live down low or flash to the free throw line when teams zone us. He could be a big zone buster if we flashed him like that in our offense. I think eventually he will figure it out though.

KentuckyDawg13
12-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Kegler had a nice post move/slam. He is probably the most talented of the bunch, just still building confidence.
As B4D said, Eli was hurt. Could have played if needed, obviously didn't need him.
Stapleton gives me a lot of optimism for this young team. His slam (via Ready's amazing pass) was very nice.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Glad to hear Wright was just banged up and not in the doghouse. I forgot to add how much I love it when Holman just jumps straight up and dunks it without any dribbling. He has a pretty sweet mustache going too. Holman is going to be a beast when he adds 20lbs of muscle and a little more substance to that stache.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-20-2016, 01:37 PM
I see all this talk about how Mario would dominate on the block & I just wonder where it's coming from. Listening I would think he's 6'9" or 6'10". He's 6'7" 220lbs that's not going to dominate anyone on the block in the SEC unless you're special. Most of you guys must have never watched Mario play before this year. He's always shot a lot of jumpers. He's been primarily a jump shooter his entire life. He can take you off the dribble some & if he gets a size mismatch he can post you up but that's not his game. They have him as a stretch 4 to do just that stretch the floor. Now they did say something last night that he does need to learn to do & that's good shot selection. Once he understand what shots to take & when then he will really take off. If you're looking for him to become some monster on the block it's just not happening. He's a solid athlete not elite because if he was an elite athlete (See Stapleton) he'd be a 3 & not a stretch 4. We play him at the 4 because that's where he's best served for the team & he has the mismatches on offense. Mario & Q are similar because they can/will be really good college players they're tweeners in the NBA.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 01:53 PM
I see all this talk about how Mario would dominate on the block & I just wonder where it's coming from. Listening I would think he's 6'9" or 6'10". He's 6'7" 220lbs that's not going to dominate anyone on the block in the SEC unless you're special. Most of you guys must have never watched Mario play before this year. He's always shot a lot of jumpers. He's been primarily a jump shooter his entire life. He can take you off the dribble some & if he gets a size mismatch he can post you up but that's not his game. They have him as a stretch 4 to do just that stretch the floor. Now they did say something last night that he does need to learn to do & that's good shot selection. Once he understand what shots to take & when then he will really take off. If you're looking for him to become some monster on the block it's just not happening. He's a solid athlete not elite because if he was an elite athlete (See Stapleton) he'd be a 3 & not a stretch 4. We play him at the 4 because that's where he's best served for the team & he has the mismatches on offense. Mario & Q are similar because they can/will be really good college players they're tweeners in the NBA.

Just cause that's how he's always played doesn't make it how he should play. Taller doesn't necessarily mean bigger but he is bigger than everyone on the team except Herard. He is thick, wide and athletic. Teach him how to play from the block to free throw area and not many in college will be able to stay with him. He can still shoot 3's just not only shoot 3's. He should be getting 20 points a game with his size and skill. There is a disconnect here for Kegler and it sounds like it's been going on for way too long. Don't encourage it further. He can be an NBA player but he's gotta develop some post moves and some driving ability.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-20-2016, 01:59 PM
Just cause that's how he's always played doesn't make it how he should play. Taller doesn't necessarily mean bigger but he is bigger than everyone on the team except Herard. He is thick, wide and athletic. Teach him how to play from the block to free throw area and not many in college will be able to stay with him. He can still shoot 3's just not only shoot 3's. He should be getting 20 points a game with his size and skill. There is a disconnect here for Kegler and it sounds like it's been going on for way too long. Don't encourage it further. He can be an NBA player but he's gotta develop some post moves and some driving ability.

Just because he's bigger than everybody on our team doesn't really make him big. He's a nice size kid but not some physical presence. He hasn't been living on the block because not many 6'6" 6'7" guys make a living playing down low. Yes he can improve his post play but once conference play starts how many 4's in the SEC can he go down on the block & give work to? Not many. Mario again is a tweener because he's a 3 man with 4 man quickness. He's not big or strong enough to be a 4 but he's not quick enough to be a 3. So he's a stretch 4. He's not a 20ppg guy. I don't think he's a top 2-3 scorer in the SEC & that's what 20ppg get you. At least not this year. I think he can get to that point eventually. His biggest adjustment right now is shot selection not changing his style of play. He needs to diversify his game some I agree with you on that but posting up won't be a big part of it. Taking bigger guys off the dribble more & 1 & 2 dribble pull jumpers that's what I'm talking about.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 02:05 PM
Just because he's bigger than everybody on our team doesn't really make him big. He's a nice size kid but not some physical presence. He hasn't been living on the block because not many 6'6" 6'7" guys make a living playing down low. Yes he can improve his post play but once conference play starts how many 4's in the SEC can he go down on the block & give work to? Not many. Mario again is a tweener because he's a 3 man with 4 man quickness. He's not big or strong enough to be a 4 but he's not quick enough to be a 3. So he's a stretch 4. He's not a 20ppg guy. I don't think he's a top 2-3 scorer in the SEC & that's what 20ppg get you. At least not this year. I think he can get to that point eventually. His biggest adjustment right now is shot selection not changing his style of play. He needs to diversify his game some I agree with you on that but posting up won't be a big part of it. Taking bigger guys off the dribble more & 1 & 2 dribble pull jumpers that's what I'm talking about.

I don't expect him to be Charles Barkley but I do think he can get 8-10 points a game just from cleaning up offensive rebounds. If he'd focus more on getting offensive rebounds than trying to make 3's we'd be a much better team immediately.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-20-2016, 02:11 PM
I don't expect him to be Charles Barkley but I do think he can get 8-10 points a game just from cleaning up offensive rebounds. If he'd focus more on getting offensive rebounds than trying to make 3's we'd be a much better team immediately.

I think where we see different is the #"s you're using. There's not many kids in college anywhere that's getting 8-10pts a game off of just offensive rebounding. Like how many kids are avg 4-5 offensive boards period let alone scoring off of them. Which means they're probably avg 6-7 offensive boards a game because you're not going to score everytime. I do understand your point & he could get 2-4pts a game from crashing the glass.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 02:14 PM
I think where we see different is the #"s you're using. There's not many kids in college anywhere that's getting 8-10pts a game off of just offensive rebounding. Like how many kids are avg 4-5 offensive boards period let alone scoring off of them. Which means they're probably avg 6-7 offensive boards a game because you're not going to score everytime. I do understand your point & he could get 2-4pts a game from crashing the glass.

I'm including made free throws into those 8-10 points a game. With these rules he'll draw a foul almost everytime he gets a rebound on offense if he goes back up with it.

smootness
12-20-2016, 02:21 PM
About 40% of his shots so far have been 3's. You may think that's still too many, but it's not as though he just sits out there and chunks up jumpers. And he's made 39% of them. I am completely fine with him continuing to shoot them if his % stays around there.

61, you seem to be overly reactionary about everything that happens in our basketball program. He's walking a confused path, has the wrong mindset, and will get frustrated when he doesn't get all the glory?

Goodness. The guy is a tweener, as IYOK pointed out, has played 10 games and is trying to find his confidence and game at the college level, and is averaging 10 ppg while shooting pretty well. Just chill and let him grow. If anyone expected him to come in and dominate immediately, which you and MarketingBully both seem to have done, I don't know why.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 02:31 PM
61, you seem to be overly reactionary about everything that happens in our basketball program. He's walking a confused path, has the wrong mindset, and will get frustrated when he doesn't get all the glory?

I called Newman 4 months before everyone else. I called Ray 2 years before everyone else. I called our major PG problem six months before Fake Weed smoker got kicked off the team. How many times do I have to see upcoming problems before they happen before you'll listen Smoot? Kegler is showing the signs of a frustrated player that won't be at MSU very long at this rate. I am trying to prevent that by bringing it up now.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 02:32 PM
You don't know shit about basketball if you think Mario is going to make an NBA living by posting up. Few 6'10 power forwards post up, much less a 6'7 swing man. He's going to have to learn to create off the bounce and shoot from outside to be an NBA player and 20 point scorer. Wanting him to go down low and post and clean up offensive rebounds will only make our post play worse from guys like Holman and Herard because he will take space and bring help. Him being outside creates dribble drive lanes for our guards and post room for the bigs. It's like some people here haven't watched basketball in a decade. It all starts outside.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 02:33 PM
I am trying to prevent that by bringing it up now.

Thank god you're here, don't know what our program would do without you

msugolf
12-20-2016, 02:38 PM
You don't know shit about basketball if you think Mario is going to make an NBA living by posting up. Few 6'10 power forwards post up, much less a 6'7 swing man. He's going to have to learn to create off the bounce and shoot from outside to be an NBA player and 20 point scorer. Wanting him to go down low and post and clean up offensive rebounds will only make our post play worse from guys like Holman and Herard because he will take space and bring help. Him being outside creates dribble drive lanes for our guards and post room for the bigs. It's like some people here haven't watched basketball in a decade. It all starts outside.

^^^agree completely. Our fan base has always had one of the lowest basketball IQs IMO and the past few years it's only gotten worse.

And fwiw, never argue with someone who wanted to add players by raiding the Sanderson center.

smootness
12-20-2016, 02:39 PM
I called Newman 4 months before everyone else. I called Ray 2 years before everyone else. I called our major PG problem six months before Fake Weed smoker got kicked off the team. How many times do I have to see upcoming problems before they happen before you'll listen Smoot? Kegler is showing the signs of a frustrated player that won't be at MSU very long at this rate. I am trying to prevent that by bringing it up now.

What are the signs of frustration you're seeing?

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 02:43 PM
I don't expect him to make an NBA living by posting up but I do think he has every bit of the same potential as this 6'7 230lb player.

https://youtu.be/YJoMDincOVw

that's Lebron guarding him btw

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 02:49 PM
^^^agree completely. Our fan base has always had one of the lowest basketball IQs IMO and the past few years it's only gotten worse.

And fwiw, never argue with someone who wanted to add players by raiding the Sanderson center.

Yup back in 2013 we flew to Hawaii with 7 scholarship basketball players and I suggested Ray hold tryouts in the Sanderson center for some walk-ons. Oh the horror of that post that you would bring it back up in December of 2016. I still stand by that post too because we got throttled by 40 points in every game over there. Ray needed warm bodies more than anything and he was too stupid to figure out how to add them to an SEC basketball team.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 02:49 PM
Thank god you're here, don't know what our program would do without you

Thank god you're here, don't know who'd post about soccer without you.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 02:52 PM

Congrats on linking one play. Draymond is a stretch 4, DPOY, and the least focused on player on the floor most of the time offensively. He's an enigma. He also shoots 4 3's a game and rarely posts up unless he has a switch. He's a pick and pop or pick and slash player. I can name on two hands the amount of 4's in the NBA who consistently post. Even guys like Blake griffin (6'10) have had to add jump shots because of how much the game is changing. This isn't 1995. The game has changed to an outside game.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Kegler reminds me so much of Malik Newman's father, Horatio Webster. He needs to study old tape of the big train. I agree with Dawg61 in that he needs to focus more on driving to the basket and scoring in the post. He has the size and skill to do that. I also agree with ifyouonlyknew, in that he's definitely a stretch 4. The problem is, kegler still thinks he's a 3 and he knows the 3 is his only shot at the NBA.

Kegler needs to put those NBA thoughts on hold for a couple of years b/c he has a lot of things to improve on. Howland broke down all of his shots on film and told him this is a good shot and this is a bad shot. I watched Kegler play a lot in HS and he strength was his mid range game. He's taking a few too many 3's. We have other guys that can shoot it at a higher percentage.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 02:53 PM
Thank god you're here, don't know who'd post about soccer without you.

Good insult? I like soccer, sorry if that bothers you. Get back to protecting our program

Big4Dawg
12-20-2016, 02:55 PM
So you want our freshmen to play liek Draymond Green? Got it

bhamdawgfan
12-20-2016, 02:58 PM

You called Ray 2 years before everyone? Our entire fanbase called Ray the moment he was hired.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-20-2016, 02:58 PM
Kegler reminds me so much of Malik Newman's father, Horatio Webster. He needs to study old tape of the big train. I agree with Dawg61 in that he needs to focus more on driving to the basket and scoring in the post. He has the size and skill to do that. I also agree with ifyouonlyknew, in that he's definitely a stretch 4. The problem is, kegler still thinks he's a 3 and he knows the 3 is his only shot at the NBA.

Kegler needs to put those NBA thoughts on hold for a couple of years b/c he has a lot of things to improve on. Howland broke down all of his shots on film and told him this is a good shot and this is a bad shot. I watched Kegler play a lot in HS and he strength was his mid range game. He's taking a few too many 3's. We have other guys that can shoot it at a higher percentage.

This!!! His shot selection needs improving not changing his game. He needs & has to take those 3's because that's keeps the floor spread & spacing. Like I said he needs to add a couple more 1, 2 dribble pull ups & taking bigger slower guys to the rack but again he's played 10 games so that all will come in time.
As far as frustration I've seen some sort of frustration out of every freshman on the team minus Datcher at some point this season. It's a whole new ball game than what they're used to. Everyone is having to adjust & buy in & they're going to be upset sometimes because it's not easy right now but they'll get there.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 03:00 PM
Good insult? I like soccer, sorry if that bothers you. Get back to protecting our program

Soccer doesn't bother me one bit, dickhead hipsters like yourself do. Get back to playing Fifa 17 on your playstation bruh

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 03:02 PM
You called Ray 2 years before everyone? Our entire fanbase called Ray the moment he was hired.

Haha that's funny but inaccurate. Just ask Brad Stevens, his girlfriend (forgot the username), Engie (oh he banned himself) and your mighty board creator C34. All Ray lovers till the bitter end.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 03:03 PM
Soccer doesn't bother me one bit, dickhead hipsters like yourself do. Get back to playing Fifa 17 on your playstation bruh

Haha now I'm a hipster? You're the one bringing this stuff up, I'm trying to show you how basketball is played.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 03:03 PM
This!!! His shot selection needs improving not changing his game. He needs & has to take those 3's because that's keeps the floor spread & spacing. Like I said he needs to add a couple more 1, 2 dribble pull ups & taking bigger slower guys to the rack but again he's played 10 games so that all will come in time.
As far as frustration I've seen some sort of frustration out of every freshman on the team minus Datcher at some point this season. It's a whole new ball game than what they're used to. Everyone is having to adjust & buy in & they're going to be upset sometimes because it's not easy right now but they'll get there.

No he should be on the block working on that sky hook*

HoopsDawg
12-20-2016, 03:06 PM

Yeah, Kegler is actually shooting 39% from 3 which is good. I think it's the quick 3 or the contested 3 that bugs Howland. Peters is shooting a ridiculous 51%. Q is at 42% and Tyson is 36%. On the flip side, I know Aric has a nice shot, but he's 18% from 3. He just needs to pass on that shot for now.

As for freshman getting frustrated, I really like Eli Wright and I think he's a good player that's only going to get better, but I have a hard time seeing how he fits into the rotation now that Xavier is back.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 03:06 PM
Haha now I'm a hipster? You're the one bringing this stuff up, I'm trying to show you how basketball is played.

Yea you shocked I could call it from just your posting habits? Don't be. Thanks for showing me how basketball is played.

smootness
12-20-2016, 03:07 PM

That's LeBron guarding him...so someone basically the same height? I agree, Kegler should post up all the 6'7"-6'8" swing men he can.

Draymond Green is averaging 8.9 shot attempts a game this year, and 3.5 of them are from 3. Kegler is averaging 8.4 shot attempts per game, and 3.6 of them are from 3.

Green is shooting 42.3% from the field overall and 34% from 3. Kegler is shooting 42.9% from the field overall and 38.9% from 3.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 03:09 PM
So you want our freshmen to play liek Draymond Green? Got it

Congrats on linking one play. Draymond is a stretch 4, DPOY, and the least focused on player on the floor most of the time offensively. He's an enigma. He also shoots 4 3's a game and rarely posts up unless he has a switch. He's a pick and pop or pick and slash player. I can name on two hands the amount of 4's in the NBA who consistently post. Even guys like Blake griffin (6'10) have had to add jump shots because of how much the game is changing. This isn't 1995. The game has changed to an outside game.

You know what else Draymond Green is? 6'7 230 lbs. What's Kegler's size again?

smootness
12-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Yup back in 2013 we flew to Hawaii with 7 scholarship basketball players and I suggested Ray hold tryouts in the Sanderson center for some walk-ons. Oh the horror of that post that you would bring it back up in December of 2016. I still stand by that post too because we got throttled by 40 points in every game over there. Ray needed warm bodies more than anything and he was too stupid to figure out how to add them to an SEC basketball team.

Those Sanderson-level athletes would not have made a bit of difference in any of those results.

Ifyouonlyknew
Yeah, Kegler is actually shooting 39% from 3 which is good. I think it's the quick 3 or the contested 3 that bugs Howland. Peters is shooting a ridiculous 51%. Q is at 42% and Tyson is 36%. On the flip side, I know Aric has a nice shot, but he's 18% from 3. He just needs to pass on that shot for now.

As for freshman getting frustrated, I really like Eli Wright and I think he's a good player that's only going to get better, but I have a hard time seeing how he fits into the rotation now that Xavier is back.

I can't really disagree with Aric & the 3 but I think he could take a step or 2 in & really be good on the 18-20ft. Concerning Eli I just think it comes down to how deep do you want your bench & how much do you want to play Lamar & IJ together. If you want a deeper rotation & having 2 PG's out there a small amount of time then you got minutes for Eli at the 2 & X at the 3. If those bench minutes are tightening up then Lamar, X, & Herard are going to be your main guys with Datcher & Eli getting spot duty minutes as needed.

smootness

Green doesn't play the way you're advocating Kegler to play.

HoopsDawg
12-20-2016, 03:11 PM

Sure, but do you know how many 6'6, 240lb people are in the world and there was only 1 Charles Barkley. Also, again, Draymond is stretch 4, exactly what Kelger is playing.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-20-2016, 03:12 PM

But yet you let Wright being injured get by you? How'd that happen?

DudyDawg
Green doesn't play the way you're advocating Kegler to play.

Nah they are the same size so kegler should be the same player. He's not yet, and clearly is heading down a dark path.

Ifyouonlyknew

nm

HoopsDawg
12-20-2016, 03:14 PM
I can't really disagree with Aric & the 3 but I think he could take a step or 2 in & really be good on the 18-20ft. Concerning Eli I just think it comes down to how deep do you want your bench & how much do you want to play Lamar & IJ together. If you want a deeper rotation & having 2 PG's out there a small amount of time then you got minutes for Eli at the 2 & X at the 3. If those bench minutes are tightening up then Lamar, X, & Herard are going to be your main guys with Datcher & Eli getting spot duty minutes as needed.

I know it's a small sample size, but Eli is 1-11 from 3. I just don't know if you can play him at the 2. But never mind that. If you know anything about my posting history it's that I am a strong advocate of an 8 man rotation in college. 9 max. This has been the formula for success at Duke and most top tier programs. My man, John Wooden only played 6. I just think minutes are going to be tough to come by for Eli.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-20-2016, 03:16 PM
I know it's a small sample size, but Eli is 1-11 from 3. I just don't know if you can play him at the 2. But never mind that. If you know anything about my posting history it's that I am a strong advocate of an 8 man rotation in college. 9 max. This has been the formula for success at Duke and most top tier programs. My man, John Wooden only played 6. I just think minutes are going to be tough to come by for Eli.

You know where I think Eli could earn his minutes is on the defensive end. He has all the ability & make up to be a very good perimeter defender. With Tyson slight frame I could see him struggling on D & if his shot isn't falling some nights that could be Eli's ticket. He should focus on being a lock down defender & getting the crumbs on offense.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 03:16 PM
Bit of a hijack, but I've heard rumblings of the college game going to quarters- thoughts? I like it. Would reset fouls so that the last 8 minutes of each half don't become free throw shooting contests. Every other level, including girls in college, uses quarters I beileve. Also think 6 fouls needs to be the FO limit instead of 5, but that's another argument for another day.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Those Sanderson-level athletes would not have made a bit of difference in any of those results.

True but they might of later in the year when everyone was exhausted. It's really not a ridiculous post at all to ask for ****ing walk-ons to be added when we are only dressing 7 scholarship players. To have that specific post still brought up 4 years later by posters is so strange.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 03:25 PM
That's LeBron guarding him...so someone basically the same height? I agree, Kegler should post up all the 6'7"-6'8" swing men he can.

Draymond Green is averaging 8.9 shot attempts a game this year, and 3.5 of them are from 3. Kegler is averaging 8.4 shot attempts per game, and 3.6 of them are from 3.

Green is shooting 42.3% from the field overall and 34% from 3. Kegler is shooting 42.9% from the field overall and 38.9% from 3.

Great now go back and look at Green's last two years of college and you'll see more of what I am talking about. I think Kegler can play similar to college Draymond Green who won Naismith Player of the Year his senior year. He wasn't jacking up 4 3's a game back then. He was a 16 and 10 guy shooting only 1.4 3's a game.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/draymond-green-1.html

Big4Dawg
12-20-2016, 03:28 PM
Great now go back and look at Green's last two years of college and you'll see more of what I am talking about. I think Kegler can play similar to college Draymond Green who won Naismith Player of the Year his senior year. He wasn't jacking up 4 3's a game back then. He was a 16 and 10 guy shooting only 1.4 3's a game.

He was shooting 3.6 games a year his senior year?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-20-2016, 03:30 PM

That's true but Dray had to grow into that role. His 1st year he was a 3 & 3 guy. He steadily improved & peaked his Sr year. We have to give Mario a chance to grow into the role. Mario is a 10 & 5 guy right now having to be a way more important piece to the puzzle than Draymond as a true freshman. Also the reason Draymond didn't shoot as many 3's in college is because he didn't have that range coming in he steadily worked on it.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 03:34 PM
He was shooting 3.6 games a year his senior year?

Yea sorry misread it, he did shoot 3.6 3's a game but he was also shooting 12.8 fg's a game the year he won NPOY. or 28% of his shots were 3's. 43% of Kegler's shots are from 3 right now.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 03:38 PM
That's true but Dray had to grow into that role. His 1st year he was a 3 & 3 guy. He steadily improved & peaked his Sr year. We have to give Mario a chance to grow into the role. Mario is a 10 & 5 guy right now having to be a way more important piece to the puzzle than Draymond as a true freshman. Also the reason Draymond didn't shoot as many 3's in college is because he didn't have that range coming in he steadily worked on it.

I am all for giving Kegler time to grow into that role. I just don't think Kegler is all about giving himself time to grow into that role. I could be wrong it won't be the first time or the last.

smootness
12-20-2016, 04:00 PM
True but they might of later in the year when everyone was exhausted. It's really not a ridiculous post at all to ask for ****ing walk-ons to be added when we are only dressing 7 scholarship players. To have that specific post still brought up 4 years later by posters is so strange.

It is when you continue to harp on it as though it would have helped anything.

smootness
12-20-2016, 04:02 PM
I am all for giving Kegler time to grow into that role. I just don't think Kegler is all about giving himself time to grow into that role. I could be wrong it won't be the first time or the last.

Goodness.

RiverCityDawg
12-20-2016, 04:04 PM
Yea sorry misread it, he did shoot 3.6 3's a game but he was also shooting 12.8 fg's a game the year he won NPOY. or 28% of his shots were 3's. 43% of Kegler's shots are from 3 right now.

Kegler is shooting 39% from 3. Why would we want him to shoot less 3's? 40% from 3 is better than 50% from 2. We want him to continue to look for quality 3 point shots, but shooting less 3's just so you can shoot more 2's is mathematically stupid if you are a 40% 3 point shorter.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 04:15 PM

It is when you continue to harp on it as though it would have helped anything.

I didn't bring my SPS post from 2012 back up. msugolf did. The year was going to be terrible if we had 7 guys or 17 guys but let's not act like flying to Hawaii with 7 dudes was a great idea now that Ray is gone.

Cowboydawg
12-20-2016, 04:39 PM

He reminds me a little bit of Romero Osby as well. I bet Howland would've loved to have had him.

Kegler has shown a nice first step but just needs to play with a little more body control... which he will learn. He can definitely knock down the three. Once he figures out how to blow by his man and know when/how to finish at the rim or pull up for the short jumper...he will be extremely dangerous. Hopefully it starts coming together for him down the stretch.

smootness
12-20-2016, 05:15 PM
I didn't bring my SPS post from 2012 back up. msugolf did. The year was going to be terrible if we had 7 guys or 17 guys but let's not act like flying to Hawaii with 7 dudes was a great idea now that Ray is gone.

I meant harping on it at the time.

7 scholarship players and no walk-ons is the exact same thing as 7 scholarship players and 5 Sanderson dudes. It makes no difference. Going to Hawaii with 7 guys was not a bad decision, it was just what we had.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 06:04 PM
I meant harping on it at the time.

7 scholarship players and no walk-ons is the exact same thing as 7 scholarship players and 5 Sanderson dudes. It makes no difference. Going to Hawaii with 7 guys was not a bad decision, it was just what we had.

If going to Hawaii with 7 guys isn't a bad decision then allowing your roster to get so depleted over six months to the point you only have 7 guys is. If the head coach isn't in charge of roster management idk who is. It was and is totally unacceptable for that to have happened. If I was the AD I woulda fired Ray when he pulled up to the plane with only 7 dudes. At that point he'd had 9 months to find some pulses. If Dan Mullen tried to play vs Ole Miss with 26 football players his first year I sure as shit guarantee you everyone on this damn board would be screaming for him to be fired. What's the difference? Rick Ray had 7 dudes. Unacceptable just like Dan Mullen only having 26 dudes would be. The point of the Sanderson comment is that when your roster gets drastically depleted like that you should be doing anything possible to add bodies to it. You owe it to your seven players to get them help or you get fired. Ray got fired didn't he. I woulda fired him in December of 2012 not after he sucked more *** for 2.5 years.

WeWonItAll(Most)
12-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Bit of a hijack, but I've heard rumblings of the college game going to quarters- thoughts? I like it. Would reset fouls so that the last 8 minutes of each half don't become free throw shooting contests. Every other level, including girls in college, uses quarters I beileve. Also think 6 fouls needs to be the FO limit instead of 5, but that's another argument for another day.

Woah, keep all that hipster shit out of here, bruh.

I want quarters and 6 fouls as well, especially if they're going to continue officiating games the way they currently are.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 06:49 PM

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/unturned-bunker/images/0/0a/Meaning-of-vault-boy-thumbs-up-jpg.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160316025719

somebodyshotmypaw
12-20-2016, 08:41 PM

Many years back on the sixpack board, there was a thread where everyone was saying that Barry Stewart was better than JJ Reddick. I was ridiculed by many because I said I thought Reddick was better.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 08:45 PM

I want quarters and 6 fouls as well, especially if they're going to continue officiating games the way they currently are.

Haha we must be "progressives"

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Many years back on the sixpack board, there was a thread where everyone was saying that Barry Stewart was better than JJ Reddick. I was ridiculed by many because I said I thought Reddick was better.

Haha I'd love to read that thread. Didn't Reddick win NPOY his senior year? Hard to argue against the best player in the country but it sounds like you found plenty of suitors.

tcdog70
12-20-2016, 09:01 PM

Give 61 some slack, he has great roundball IQ. Kegler already has the jump shot if he learns to drive like Jamont he could live at he free throw line.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 09:06 PM
Give 61 some slack, he has great roundball IQ. Kegler already has the jump shot if he learns to drive like Jamont he could live at he free throw line.
Yeah but he was arguing for posting up. If you look at another post of mine I mentioned kegler adding dribble drive ability. If he can do that, he can be very dangerous.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-20-2016, 09:19 PM
Haha I'd love to read that thread. Didn't Reddick win NPOY his senior year? Hard to argue against the best player in the country but it sounds like you found plenty of suitors.

Now Barry was younger. I think Barry was entering college around the time that JJ entered the NBA. I think the comparison was late in Barry's career. They said Barry was equal offensively but better defensively. Said JJ was surrounded by talent at Duke and was just living off college reputation in the NBA. For the record, JJ is still a starter in The NBA.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 09:47 PM
Now Barry was younger. I think Barry was entering college around the time that JJ entered the NBA. I think the comparison was late in Barry's career. They said Barry was equal offensively but better defensively. Said JJ was surrounded by talent at Duke and was just living off college reputation in the NBA. For the record, JJ is still a starter in The NBA.

And still pure as gold with the jump shot

tcdog70
12-20-2016, 10:11 PM
Yeah but he was arguing for posting up. If you look at another post of mine I mentioned kegler adding dribble drive ability. If he can do that, he can be very dangerous.

There would be times that having the ability to post up would be valuable . Not everyone he would post up would be 6'10". Sorta like how opposing teams post up IJ. Kegler has the skills to do it all. If he can shoot over 35% from the 3 , I say fire away. But while you are at it work on your post moves.

Dawg61
12-20-2016, 10:23 PM

I don't think you're giving Kegler enough credit for his athleticism and size. He is a very big very athletic man and I think he is settling for 3's when he can get much easier baskets down low if he'd just commit to it.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 11:13 PM
I don't think you're giving Kegler enough credit for his athleticism and size. He is a very big very athletic man and I think he is settling for 3's when he can get much easier baskets down low if he'd just commit to it.

Yes he's big, and needs to learn to score inside, but by penetration, not posting, If he wants to play in the NBA. I'm watching the NBA right now, the two 3's are 6'11 (Durant) and 6'8 (Hayward). They rarely post unless they've got a guard switch. He won't post players like that up. He's very athletic, shoots well from three, but won't live off of playing back to the basket. His inside scoring will have to come from dribble drive and slashing.

DudyDawg
12-20-2016, 11:19 PM
There would be times that having the ability to post up would be valuable . Not everyone he would post up would be 6'10". Sorta like how opposing teams post up IJ. Kegler has the skills to do it all. If he can shoot over 35% from the 3 , I say fire away. But while you are at it work on your post moves.

Of course there are times. You have to take advantage of mismatches. But that's the rub, mismatches aren't your normal matchup. It's certainly a part of his game that would make him better, but he's not gonna to make a living with his back to the basket.

Dawg61
12-21-2016, 02:35 AM
but won't live off of playing back to the basket.

Your frustration from failing to comprehend what I am saying blocks your ability to comprehend what I am saying. I am not saying turn him into midget Alonzo Mourning. I am simply saying he needs to play closer to the basket more and less roaming around the 3 point line for 30 seconds at a time. That could be five feet closer that could be ten feet closer but it won't be roaming past the three point line watching Peters and Spoon dribble and pass the entire time. He is settling. He is a more talented player than he's letting himself be.

dawgs
12-21-2016, 07:40 AM

So you called Rick ray 2 years before we hired him? I didn't think anyone knew who he was before we hired him, much less 2 years before we hired him?

MarketingBully
12-21-2016, 07:54 AM
Your frustration from failing to comprehend what I am saying blocks your ability to comprehend what I am saying. I am not saying turn him into midget Alonzo Mourning. I am simply saying he needs to play closer to the basket more and less roaming around the 3 point line for 30 seconds at a time. That could be five feet closer that could be ten feet closer but it won't be roaming past the three point line watching Peters and Spoon dribble and pass the entire time. He is settling. He is a more talented player than he's letting himself be.

Agree with Dawg61 here. All we are saying is for him to drive it to the basket and utilize his body a little more on the inside to open up more scoring opportunities rather then just hanging out on the perimeter all the time. His game could easily emulate what Heron is doing at Auburn and Heron is averaging 15+ a game by yes shooting threes but also driving to the basket, getting to the freethrow line, and posting up smaller players to create mismatches.

Kegler has the same size and similar game as Dontae Jones. When Dontae started dominating down the stretch, he utilized a complete game which he took what the defense gave him whether shooting threes, driving to the basket, posting up, or relying on his midrange game. Kegler will get there as he keeps learning but that is all we are saying. We see his potential and he could dominate at this level once he realizes there's more to it then just shooting threes and hanging around the perimeter.

smootness
12-21-2016, 08:39 AM

Spacing is extremely important. So it actually is good for us a lot of the time when he is standing out further from the basket.

tcdog70
12-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Of course there are times. You have to take advantage of mismatches. But that's the rub, mismatches aren't your normal matchup. It's certainly a part of his game that would make him better, but he's not gonna to make a living with his back to the basket.

I think He is our leading candidate for mismatches. Pull the big guys out by shooting 3s and post up the smaller guys. I think we could run an offense through Him.

Dawg61
12-21-2016, 11:00 AM
So you called Rick ray 2 years before we hired him? I didn't think anyone knew who he was before we hired him, much less 2 years before we hired him?

2 years before we fired him Kanye

chef dixon
12-21-2016, 11:01 AM
I don't care about potential or projecting at the next level, our two best players aside from Q are Peters and Holman.

Q isn't himself with this injury which is unfortunate. He can still shoot very well and takes the attention of the defense which is crucial.

Dawg61
12-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Spacing is extremely important. So it actually is good for us a lot of the time when he is standing out further from the basket.

It isn't good for Kegler's game to camp past the 3 point line for eternity. He's a better player than that. We are wasting his talent if all we want to do with him is use him for good "spacing" and to throw up the occasional 3.

smootness
12-21-2016, 11:26 AM
It isn't good for Kegler's game to camp past the 3 point line for eternity. He's a better player than that. We are wasting his talent if all we want to do with him is use him for good "spacing" and to throw up the occasional 3.

I'm not saying he should just stand there and do nothing else. I'm just saying that moving him inside on a more permanent basis has an effect on more things than just what it means for Kegler. We clearly try to space things out on offense, and having Kegler stretching the defense helps with that.

Dawg61
12-21-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm not saying he should just stand there and do nothing else. I'm just saying that moving him inside on a more permanent basis has an effect on more things than just what it means for Kegler. We clearly try to space things out on offense, and having Kegler stretching the defense helps with that.

Our starting lineup on Monday was Holman and 4 dudes camping the 3 point line. Ready, Carter, Spoon and Kegler. I am surprised we ever get a rebound. We won't in SEC play. Are rebounds not as important as "spacing" now? You guys realize you are saying you like Kegler stretching and spacing the floor at the same time that we have midget Ready and paper thin Carter on the floor with Spoon camping the 3 line already. Not much spacing going on above the 3 line with 4 dudes standing behind it. Maybe Holman should space and stretch the 3 line too. Oh wait he already does that.

DudyDawg
12-21-2016, 12:58 PM

You said in your first post you want him on the block. That is back to the basket post play. I agree he needs to dribble drive more, I said as much in my first post. But moving him to the block, or even "five feet closer" (which would mean he's consistently shooting the lowest percentage shot in basketball, by the way) will slow our offense down a lot more. You think our post play is bad now, wait until Kegler is bringing his defender inside to clog the paint even more. We will really have to shoot a lot of 3's then and do a lot more standing around the arc because there's 4 people in the paint for our "paper thin" guards to have to navigate on dribble pen. And he's shooting 40% from deep, I don't understand the complaints.

smootness
12-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Our starting lineup on Monday was Holman and 4 dudes camping the 3 point line. Ready, Carter, Spoon and Kegler. I am surprised we ever get a rebound. We won't in SEC play. Are rebounds not as important as "spacing" now? You guys realize you are saying you like Kegler stretching and spacing the floor at the same time that we have midget Ready and paper thin Carter on the floor with Spoon camping the 3 line already. Not much spacing going on above the 3 line with 4 dudes standing behind it. Maybe Holman should space and stretch the 3 line too. Oh wait he already does that.

You don't seem to buy into the newest wave of thinking in regard to basketball spacing. Watch the Warriors, they will look like 4 guys 'camped' around the 3-point line. We don't just stand there, there is definitely movement. But we will consistently have a majority of our players spaced around the wing. There's a reason for it.

Kegler's best game is not to be on the low block, and it doesn't help anything to have him 5 feet inside the 3-point line.

chef dixon
12-21-2016, 05:26 PM
The rub on Kegler isn't that he isn't posting up. He's just settling for quick 3s at odd times in the possession. I don't want to see him down low posting up, but I would like to see him take his man off the dribble a little more often and earn a trip to the free throw line. That respect he could gain from that will free him up some better jump shots, which he can hit.

DudyDawg
12-21-2016, 06:07 PM
The rub on Kegler isn't that he isn't posting up. He's just settling for quick 3s at odd times in the possession. I don't want to see him down low posting up, but I would like to see him take his man off the dribble a little more often and earn a trip to the free throw line. That respect he could gain from that will free him up some better jump shots, which he can hit.

I agree with that, and feel the same about Q. Would like to see more dribble drive.

smootness
12-21-2016, 06:13 PM

Again, though, he's hitting 39% of them. I'm totally good with that.

Dawg61
12-21-2016, 08:43 PM
You don't seem to buy into the newest wave of thinking in regard to basketball spacing. Watch the Warriors, they will look like 4 guys 'camped' around the 3-point line. We don't just stand there, there is definitely movement. But we will consistently have a majority of our players spaced around the wing. There's a reason for it.

Kegler's best game is not to be on the low block, and it doesn't help anything to have him 5 feet inside the 3-point line.

Unless you got Curry, Durant and Klay you really shouldn't copy the Warriors imo.

MarketingBully
12-21-2016, 10:39 PM
Listen. We need someone to drive to the basket when teams play zone against us or we need a guy within our offense that will flash to the free throw line within the holes of the zone that can pass down low, kick it out to the perimeter, or take the 15 foot shot. I would assume it would be Kegler simply from his size and his ability to get to the rim with his physicality. Maybe that player is Stapleton. We do need a guy who will do that for us so we can get teams out of playing a zone where the lane is clogged up with five guys....if you noticed, all teams have been playing zone against us where it is hard to penetrate the lane.

dawgs
12-22-2016, 02:48 AM
2 years before we fired him Kanye

Really went out on a limb there, not sure why you are bragging that we should listen to you because you called Rick ray being terrible. I was ready to fire him from the moment he was announced as the HC and stated many times over that he did not have the resume of a P5 MBB HC, so I beat you to the punch on that one by a year.

Dawg61
12-22-2016, 10:30 AM
Really went out on a limb there, not sure why you are bragging that we should listen to you because you called Rick ray being terrible. I was ready to fire him from the moment he was announced as the HC and stated many times over that he did not have the resume of a P5 MBB HC, so I beat you to the punch on that one by a year.

Well where were you when I had to argue with Engie, Brad Stevens, C34 and everyone else about how terrible Ray was dipshit? Say something THEN not 2 years after the fact.

smootness
12-22-2016, 12:19 PM
Unless you got Curry, Durant and Klay you really shouldn't copy the Warriors imo.

The Rockets do it, too, very successfully. It is basically the Sabermetrics of basketball, and it seems to be working.

RiverCityDawg
12-22-2016, 02:18 PM
The Rockets do it, too, very successfully. It is basically the Sabermetrics of basketball, and it seems to be working.

You're arguing with someone who wants a 39% 3 point shooter to "Stay down low". There's no hope for him.

Dawg61
12-22-2016, 02:49 PM
You're arguing with someone who wants a 39% 3 point shooter to "Stay down low". There's no hope for him.

Ohhhh 39% from 3 he should shoot 100% of our shots from here on and only from 3. Sabermetrics is so simple why did it take so long for anyone to figure this out? We will never lose as long as Kegler shoots 60 3's a game!! Brilliant!! I love sabermetrics people so much cause destroying baseball isn't enough for y'all now you gotta destroy basketball. Sabermetrics every sport please. What's the next sport? UFC fighting or maybe hockey?

DudyDawg
12-22-2016, 02:50 PM
Ohhhh 39% from 3 he should shoot 100% of our shots from here on and only from 3. Sabermetrics is so simple why did it take so long for anyone to figure this out? We will never lose as long as Kegler shoots 60 3's a game!! Brilliant!! I love sabermetrics people so much cause destroying baseball isn't enough for y'all now you gotta destroy basketball. Sabermetrics every sport please. What's the next sport? UFC fighting or maybe hockey?

How is realizing how much more valuable a shot from three is than a shot from three feet in destroying basketball? Like he said, you just don't get it.

Dawg61
12-22-2016, 03:04 PM
How is realizing how much more valuable a shot from three is than a shot from three feet in destroying basketball? Like he said, you just don't get it.

From 3 feet?! Bruh you're drunk put down the bottle. If you give Kegler a hundred shots from 3 and compare it to him shooting a hundred shots from 3 ****ing feet he is gonna have more points from 3 feet away. Genius

DudyDawg
12-22-2016, 04:19 PM
From 3 feet?! Bruh you're drunk put down the bottle. If you give Kegler a hundred shots from 3 and compare it to him shooting a hundred shots from 3 ****ing feet he is gonna have more points from 3 feet away. Genius

Three feet in, as in three feet inside the 3pt line

RiverCityDawg
12-22-2016, 05:11 PM

Like I said, no hope, but here goes...

I didn't say he should shoot 100% of his shots from 3, but you said he should "stay down low" implying he should take 100% of his shots from 2. That line of thinking is just stupid as it relates to a guy who is good at 3 pointers. He would need to shoot 59% from 2 to equal the same production (in more possession, I might add). Very few players shoot that sort of percentage and virtually none that are 6-7 220. A dribble-drive game would be a good thing for him to add, primarily to give him better looks at 3 and get opposing players in foul trouble, but staying down low and playing more as a traditional 4 would be supremely idiotic.

MarketingBully
12-22-2016, 05:52 PM
You guys are failing to consider the zone defense which is what most teams do to us which makes spacing almost irrelevant. In the NBA, they can utilize a zone defense however there is a three second call on the defense for defenders that stay in the paint. This basically makes playing a zone irrelevant in the NBA so they elect to play man to man mostly. Dawg61 isn't saying Kegler should live down low. Dawg61 is stating that Kegler should expand his game to include a mid-range game and ability to drive to the basket like how Dontae Jones played for us on our Final Four team. If the match up was there, Dontae would post up his defender, shoot the midrange jump shot, drive to the basket, or shoot the open three point shot. This shows a more complete game and many different ways to score. Kegler shoots 70% from the free throw line yet has only shot 17 on the season. How many more points a game would he average if say he had shot even 50 which would only be about 5 a game. It's about Kegler becoming a more complete player instead of him just shooting threes which is mainly what he is doing now.

MarketingBully
12-22-2016, 05:56 PM

A shot from three depends entirely how it is shot. Is it shot as a result from our offense from penetration on the kick out or is it just a jacked up shot not within the flow of the offense. One is a much higher percentage then the other.

DudyDawg
12-22-2016, 06:27 PM
A shot from three depends entirely how it is shot. Is it shot as a result from our offense from penetration on the kick out or is it just a jacked up shot not within the flow of the offense. One is a much higher percentage then the other.

Yeah. No shit. When did I say he should randomly jack up contested 3s.

smootness
12-22-2016, 06:35 PM
You guys are failing to consider the zone defense which is what most teams do to us which makes spacing almost irrelevant. In the NBA, they can utilize a zone defense however there is a three second call on the defense for defenders that stay in the paint. This basically makes playing a zone irrelevant in the NBA so they elect to play man to man mostly. Dawg61 isn't saying Kegler should live down low. Dawg61 is stating that Kegler should expand his game to include a mid-range game and ability to drive to the basket like how Dontae Jones played for us on our Final Four team. If the match up was there, Dontae would post up his defender, shoot the midrange jump shot, drive to the basket, or shoot the open three point shot. This shows a more complete game and many different ways to score. Kegler shoots 70% from the free throw line yet has only shot 17 on the season. How many more points a game would he average if say he had shot even 50 which would only be about 5 a game. It's about Kegler becoming a more complete player instead of him just shooting threes which is mainly what he is doing now.

No, he literally said, 'STAY DOWN LOW!' And he said weird things about Kegler not only shooting 3's, which he doesn't do, and when he does, does so effectively.

Also, playing zone is not the way to stop a team who shoots 3's well. So by all means, I hope defenses continue to defend us that way. If they do, I'm fine with Kegler continuing to shoot the way he has so far.

DudyDawg
12-22-2016, 06:42 PM
No, he literally said, 'STAY DOWN LOW!' And he said weird things about Kegler not only shooting 3's, which he doesn't do, and when he does, does so effectively.

Also, playing zone is not the way to stop a team who shoots 3's well. So by all means, I hope defenses continue to defend us that way. If they do, I'm fine with Kegler continuing to shoot the way he has so far.

He also said kegler is headed down a bad path. Can't forget that.

MarketingBully
12-22-2016, 06:52 PM

Teams still zone us. Yes, it's dumb to zone teams who shoot the three well but we need a better method to bust it when we don't shoot well like against ETSU.

smootness
12-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Teams still zone us. Yes, it's dumb to zone teams who shoot the three well but we need a better method to bust it when we don't shoot well like against ETSU.

I agree.

His post had 0 nuance and was not in any way about finding a way to break a zone when shots aren't falling.

dawgs
12-22-2016, 09:57 PM
Well where were you when I had to argue with Engie, Brad Stevens, C34 and everyone else about how terrible Ray was dipshit? Say something THEN not 2 years after the fact.

I did. Either on here or on 6 pack, or both. From what I remember, a vast majority of fans were at minimum, extremely skeptical of the hire, and literally no one was excited about the hire (that's not saying we should have stuck with stans mind you). It was a terrible hire and it was clear from the start.

Dawg61
12-23-2016, 02:07 AM

Thank you for saying it better than I can