PDA

View Full Version : Heard Justin Malone

K9 Avenger
09-05-2013, 06:58 PM
broke his foot and is out for the season. If this is true, do we look to Tobias Smith? Could he possibly be ready to play? Anyone heard anything similar?

Coach34
09-05-2013, 07:28 PM
I hope this isn't true- had heard it was just a sprain

If true- then yes, I expect Tobias to return

mic
09-05-2013, 07:30 PM
if he is done.. I wouldn't mind seeing us moving Dillon to guard and starting Holly at Center..

HancockCountyDog
09-05-2013, 07:39 PM
I hope this isn't true- had heard it was just a sprain

If true- then yes, I expect Tobias to return

I'm not Tobias can give us much of anything at this point.

I'm assuming we will go with Beckwith. I'm not sure that it's that much of a downgrade.

Goat Holder
09-05-2013, 08:17 PM
If this is true......

......then the season is over.

HancockCountyDog
09-05-2013, 08:24 PM
......then the season is over.

I like Malone, but let's not start the "season over" talk because we lost our 5th best OL
To an injury.

TrueMaroon
09-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Could Tobias really go? He hasnt practiced since last year.

Ghost of Hank Flick
09-05-2013, 08:33 PM
I'd imagine Tobias would start getting ready now and maybe get in the game vs. Troy posssssibly Auburn and ready to start vs. LSU.

Bo Darville
09-05-2013, 08:37 PM
if he is done.. I wouldn't mind seeing us moving Dillon to guard and starting Holly at Center..

Beckwith is better than Holley. Day at center and Beckwith at guard is much better than Holley at center and Day at guard.

Homedawg
09-05-2013, 08:38 PM
broke his foot and is out for the season. If this is true, do we look to Tobias Smith? Could he possibly be ready to play? Anyone heard anything similar?

Sad but this is true. Sucks.

Harrydawg
09-05-2013, 09:27 PM
True, heard from a reliable source today who was told by Malone's father....broken foot.

Now, I love Malone but not all is lost. That spot has been a battle.

thf24
09-05-2013, 09:30 PM
If true, what is with all these injuries? Five injuries in the first game of the season including two that are season-ending? Maybe I just don't notice, but I don't see this happening to other D1 teams. Is it poor conditioning? Indians?

msstate7
09-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Maybe not the same number of injuries, but others teams have been hit. OM lost 2 good player (1 for year). Georgia lost best wr for year. I'm sure the list could get long if I knew them all

TopDog58
09-05-2013, 09:44 PM
If true, what is with all these injuries? Five injuries in the first game of the season including two that are season-ending? Maybe I just don't notice, but I don't see this happening to other D1 teams. Is it poor conditioning? Indians?

Not trying to be a smartass at all. But how could better conditioning prevent a torn Achilles and a broken bone? It's just shit luck. And it goes back to the whole reason for recruiting. You've got to have depth.

War Machine Dawg
09-05-2013, 09:52 PM
I blame the torn Achilles/ACL on that damn artificial turf. I know players love the stuff, but I still say there are fewer of those types of injuries on natural grass. Nothing artificial is as good as the real deal.

Coach34
09-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Georgia lost their best WR vs Clemson....Ole Miss lost their best OL player and a LB for 5-6 weeks vs Vandy....it happens

deltadawg99
09-05-2013, 09:57 PM
I think Tobias could provide some depth, but putting him in as a started would be a bad idea. He is very talented, but he hasn't practiced with the team since the Gator Bowl and who knows what kind of shape he is in.

Homedawg
09-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I blame the torn Achilles/ACL on that damn artificial turf. I know players love the stuff, but I still say there are fewer of those types of injuries on natural grass. Nothing artificial is as good as the real deal.

Agreed. And the broken foot too. The stuff sucks

camsu
09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
What about Despar to Center and Day to Guard

Homedawg
09-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Desper isn't ready. Clayborn getting redshirt pulled is more likely at this point.

whosyourdawgy
09-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Yes. Poor conditioning causes broken feet and ruptured Achilles

whosyourdawgy
09-05-2013, 10:46 PM
That turf had to be awful. There were players from OSU going down as well.

Todd4State
09-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Not trying to be a smartass at all. But how could better conditioning prevent a torn Achilles and a broken bone? It's just shit luck. And it goes back to the whole reason for recruiting. You've got to have depth.

There is no relation between good conditioning and fractures. Flexibility training can help with tendons, but again it won't eliminate injury. Jay Hughes injury was not due to poor conditioning either.

thf24
09-05-2013, 11:00 PM
Yes. Poor conditioning causes broken feet and ruptured Achilles

I thought the suggestion of Indians would indicate I wasn't serious, but for the record, no, I'm not saying poor conditioning can lead to broken bones and ruptured Achilles. I realize OSU had guys go down too, but good grief, five (six?) injuries that required time out? I know it's just bad luck, but it sucks because, season-enders going without saying, that volume of simply week-to-week dings can still cause issues in game planning when you don't know if multiple key guys can go until game time. Of course, that's just hypothetical for this week.

whosyourdawgy
09-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Agreed. That's why I hate field turf. Especially bad field turf.

Political Hack
09-06-2013, 07:36 AM
that's why I hate scheduling top 15 teams to kickoff the season when you're program is a year or two away still.

dawgoneyall
09-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Broken bones and achilles injuries aren't preventable by conditioning.

CJDAWG85
09-06-2013, 08:17 AM
The Achillies injury happened because the WR climbed up the back of Hughes and came down on it.

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Desper isn't ready. Clayborn getting redshirt pulled is more likely at this point.

That's the problem with our OL, we've got too many guys who aren't ready and apparently quite a few that will never be ready. Heck, apparently OM is recruiting guys that can come out in the first week of their freshman year (Tunsil and Golson) and be more effective blocking than guys we have that have been redshirted or have been in the program for multiple years. Our OL recruiting and development is KILLING us right now. Even with Tyler having a bad game if we have an effective OL most of our offensive problems from this past Saturday go away.

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 08:56 AM
The Achillies injury happened because the WR climbed up the back of Hughes and came down on it.

I'll try to watch it again but the 2 or 3 times I watched that play I see the WR jump over the back of Hughes trying to make the catch but I never saw him step on or put undue stress on the back of Hughes' leg. I think it was just one of those freakish things where Hughes just twisted the wrong way or something that caused the injury. Watching the replay, unless I missed something, it doesn't really look like he should have even gotten injured much less seriously.

DownwardDawg
09-06-2013, 09:02 AM
that's why I hate scheduling top 15 teams to kickoff the season when you're program is a year or two away still.

^^^This^^^
It was a stupid game. Maybe we can open with Notre Dame or USC from now on. 5-7 is great at MSU.

CJDAWG85
09-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Oh my bad... from where we were sitting it looked like he came down on it.

Barking 13
09-06-2013, 09:09 AM
That's the problem with our OL, we've got too many guys who aren't ready and apparently quite a few that will never be ready. Heck, apparently OM is recruiting guys that can come out in the first week of their freshman year (Tunsil and Golson) and be more effective blocking than guys we have that have been redshirted or have been in the program for multiple years. Our OL recruiting and development is KILLING us right now. Even with Tyler having a bad game if we have an effective OL most of our offensive problems from this past Saturday go away.

now, just who is in charge of that?

Bo Darville
09-06-2013, 09:14 AM
I'lI think it was just one of those freakish things where Hughes just twisted the wrong way or something that caused the injury.

I tore mine completely in half while playing basketball. Nobody was even around me. Just a freak thing. No bad movement, twisting, stepping on someone's foot or anything. It just snapped. That is the way an achilles will do. It happens.

hailmari
09-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Nah, good conditioning won't stop a bone from breaking or a ligament from tear if the physics acting on that part is there. Although, excessive exercise can lead to more strains and sprains.

TopconDog
09-06-2013, 09:36 AM

You nailed it our oline sux,outside of Jackson we are a joke on the oline

Majors42
09-06-2013, 09:51 AM
What about Despar to Center and Day to Guard

Day is on the Remington list, I'm against moving a very good center to another position. Would rather bring in a new guard than center, less chance of screw ups

BeastMan
09-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Must be a bad broken foot. I've broken my 3rd metatarsal & it was a 4 week healing process. I was running in 6. I'm assuming he broke multiple bones if its a season ending injury

Johnson85
09-06-2013, 10:17 AM
I think Tobias could provide some depth, but putting him in as a started would be a bad idea. He is very talented, but he hasn't practiced with the team since the Gator Bowl and who knows what kind of shape he is in.

Tobias out of shape is still probably the best option we have. I think he was a Gabe Wallace type talent if it weren't for the injury problems. Look at the difference in the UT game last year when he came in.

Radddawg
09-06-2013, 10:53 AM

Is that you Scott? And a year or two away ? We're in year 5!!!!

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Tobias out of shape is still probably the best option we have. I think he was a Gabe Wallace type talent if it weren't for the injury problems. Look at the difference in the UT game last year when he came in.

I'm with you, I would take an out of shape Tobias over the vast majority of the OL guys we have on the roster right now. He may not be able to go as many snaps but would be good to have him available.

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Is that you Scott? And a year or two away ? We're in year 5!!!!

We are NOT AL or LSU or GA, etc. that has high end talent oozing up and down our roster. Until we are consistently winning 8 to 10 games per year AND competing well with upper echelon SEC teams we should NOT be scheduling Top 25 type OOC teams. Its just not a wise overall move. To keep the program moving forward we NEED to keep having winning seasons for both the fans and recruits even if we have to use a little smoke and mirrors on the scheduling side to do it. Yes, we won 8 games last year but we only won 6 the year before and even with the 8 wins last year we did not compete well at all against top SEC teams.

RougeDawg
09-06-2013, 01:23 PM

Unless you choose to dine at Twin Peaks or Hooters.

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Unless you choose to dine at Twin Peaks or Hooters.

In the words of Shallow Hal: "Well, l could squeeze 'em. That's real enough for me."

whosyourdawgy
09-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Hey they opening a Twin Peaks in Jackson now. By the Cracker Barrel and Outback off of Adkins. Never been to one.

Political Hack
09-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Is that you Scott?

I hope everyone else got as good of a laugh from that as I did.

CadaverDawg
09-06-2013, 07:41 PM
One thing that nobody has really mentioned as a cause of these injuries, is the fact that our offense got punched in the ****ing mouth by a Big12 defense. THAT, oftentimes, can lead to more injuries.

mic
09-06-2013, 11:34 PM
Im hearing it isn't broken .. Grade 2 sprain..

msstate7
09-06-2013, 11:38 PM

Which has how long a recovery time?

Coach34
09-06-2013, 11:42 PM

That's what I heard earlier in the week- but hadn't heard anything else since people started saying broken

FlabLoser
09-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Wait and see. Sometimes a sprain is worse than a break. Bones heal, and when they do tey are stronger than before they broke.

Soft tissues are slow to heal and don't heal at all for some tears. Sprains are basically micro tears.

Homedawg
09-06-2013, 11:48 PM

Malone? Unless they called off the surgery scheduled for this morning, he's done. He's done.