PDA

View Full Version : Boobie or Norwood

GTHOM
12-18-2016, 10:12 PM
In Mullen's offense, would you rather have Jerious Norwood or Anthony Dixon??? Me personally I would take Norwood, I love Boobie but Norwood was a home run threat and could run between the tackles. Tough choice, what do yall think??

Ifyouonlyknew
12-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Boobie with Fitz & Norwood with Dak.

HSVDawg
12-18-2016, 10:16 PM
In Mullen's offense, would you rather have Jerious Norwood or Anthony Dixon??? Me personally I would take Norwood, I love Boobie but Norwood was a home run threat and could run between the tackles. Tough choice, what do yall think??

Norwood all day errday. Dude was built to play RB in a spread offense. Electric in the open field

whosyourdawgy
12-18-2016, 10:19 PM
I think Jerious would've been phenomenal in Dan's offense.

Reason2succeed
12-18-2016, 10:20 PM
Norwood

BayouDawg
12-18-2016, 10:30 PM
Norwood for sure. ill never forget the 05 Egg bowl when he had to go to the locker room and then came back in the game to finish off the bearsharts.

lamont
12-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Dixon and its not close

With a Spread QB you need a RB that can draw the LB'ers because he is a force up inside. That guy is Dixon. Dixon had an awesome year in 2009 in the Spread with freaking Tyson Lee at QB. With Fitz or Dakota- he would have been a force

BayouDawg
12-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Dixon and its not close

With a Spread QB you need a RB that can draw the LB'ers because he is a force up inside. That guy is Dixon. Dixon had an awesome year in 2009 in the Spread with freaking Tyson Lee at QB. With Fitz or Dakota- he would have been a force

Can we be greedy and have them both? Imagine a 2 back set with Norwood Dixon and Fitz/Dak.

HSVDawg
12-18-2016, 10:40 PM
Dixon and its not close

Norwood was more physical than many people gave him credit for. Hell, he had to be to get any yards up the gut behind our crap OL that he had to work with under Croom.

But let's be honest, neither would be a bad choice.

lamont
12-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Norwood was more physical than many people gave him credit for. Hell, he had to be to get any yards up the gut behind our crap OL that he had to work with under Croom.

But let's be honest, neither would be a bad choice.

Norwood was good and a better pass-catcher out of the backfield than Dixon- but he wasnt the force inside that Dixon was. Aeris has shown you the difference in having him hit it up inside in our offense vs Holloway- its like night and day. Dixon is the back that would have been incredible with a Fitz or Dakota.

Dixon with either of those QB's runs for 1,500+

HSVDawg
12-18-2016, 11:17 PM

1500 wouldn't be that much of an upgrade. He ran for 1391 (5.4 YPC) in 2009 with Lee. I think the more realistic expectation is that he would have a similar number of yards on far fewer carries because he wouldn't have to carry the load as much.

FYI, Norwood ran for 1136 (5.9 YPC) in 2005 with no O-line and no passing game to speak of whatsoever. It's not hard to imagine him easily getting 6.5 - 7 YPC with the 2009 supporting cast and Mullen's spread taking over for the West Crap Offense.

preachermatt83
12-18-2016, 11:20 PM
Dixon and its not close

This.

TimberBeast
12-18-2016, 11:42 PM
Dixon and its not close

Yes, it's not close, and this is exactly why we all of a sudden got better this year when Holloway got hurt.

ETA: I'm not comparing Holloway to Norwood, but comparing Aeris running ability to what Dixon would give us.

GTHOM
12-18-2016, 11:46 PM
Norwood was 5'11 around 210 lets not act like he's Brandon Holloway. Norwood did 15 bench press reps at the combine same as Dixon did. You cant go wrong either way but Norwood was a home run threat, I love boobie but he aint taking it 70 yards. Now he might tote 3 or 4 defenders into the endzone for 40 yards though

dawgday166
12-18-2016, 11:50 PM
Norwood was 5'11 around 210 lets not act like he's Brandon Holloway. Norwood did 15 bench press reps at the combine same as Dixon did. You cant go wrong either way but Norwood was a home run threat, I love boobie but he aint taking it 70 yards. Now he might tote 3 or 4 defenders into the endzone for 40 yards though

I'm in this camp. Norwood is similar to Zeke. Zeke wasn't too shabby in a spread at OSU.

lamont
12-18-2016, 11:51 PM
1500 wouldn't be that much of an upgrade. He ran for 1391 (5.4 YPC) in 2009 with Lee. I think the more realistic expectation is that he would have a similar number of yards on far fewer carries because he wouldn't have to carry the load as much.

FYI, Norwood ran for 1136 (5.9 YPC) in 2005 with no O-line and no passing game to speak of whatsoever. It's not hard to imagine him easily getting 6.5 - 7 YPC with the 2009 supporting cast and Mullen's spread taking over for the West Crap Offense.

exactly- he almost went for 1400 yards with Lee. Imagine what he could have done with a real SEC QB. Croom had some decent OL's- his lack of imagination and loading the box is what kept his offense from working

HSVDawg
12-18-2016, 11:58 PM
exactly- he almost went for 1400 yards with Lee. Imagine what he could have done with a real SEC QB. Croom had some decent OL's- his lack of imagination and loading the box is what kept his offense from working

I guess my question to you is why are you saying "Imagine what Boobie could do with a decent QB" and not saying the same about Norwood? Neither of them had good QB play, and its pretty much a wash between Lee / Relf and Conner / Henig as to which was worse. However, Lee actually had higher YPA and more yards passing than any of the above over the time period in question, so you could argue that Dixon had more help from his QB than Norwood did. Not to mention comparing Chad Bumphis, Chris Smith, and Marcus Green to whoever we had in our 2005 receiver group certainly highlights even more how little help Norwood had.

dawgday166
12-19-2016, 12:00 AM
I guess my question to you is why are you saying "Imagine what Boobie could do with a decent QB" and not saying the same about Norwood? Neither of them had good QB play, and its pretty much a wash between Lee / Relf and Conner / Henig as to which was worse. However, Lee actually had higher YPA and more yards passing than any of the above over the time period in question, so you could argue that Dixon had more help from his QB than Norwood did. Not to mention comparing Chad Bumphis, Chris Smith, abd Marcus Green to whoever we had in our 2005 receiver group.

And Dixon had a better Oline.

HSVDawg
12-19-2016, 12:12 AM
And Dixon had a better Oline.

Agreed. Croom's only good OL guys were guys he inherited from Jackie like David Stewart and the guys he signed later in his tenure that formed the nucleus that Mullen inherited (including Tobias Smith, Derek Sherrod, Saulsberry, and Brignone). None of those guys were on that 2005 team. 4 of the 5 were on the 2009 squad.

Corn Bread
12-19-2016, 12:26 AM
Agreed. Croom's only good OL guys were David Stewart (who he inherited from Jackie) and the guys he signed later in his tenure that formed the nucleus that Mullen inherited (including Tobias Smith, Derek Sherrod, Saulsberry, and Brignone). None of those guys were on that 2005 team. 4 of the 5 were on the 2009 squad.

Why in the hell do you spend time on the past. Coulda woulda shoulda. Does not change a thing.

Matt3467
12-19-2016, 02:31 AM
Love them both and would be happy with either but if I had a choice I'd pick James Johnson. Dude was a stud.

smootness
12-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Norwood was good and a better pass-catcher out of the backfield than Dixon- but he wasnt the force inside that Dixon was. Aeris has shown you the difference in having him hit it up inside in our offense vs Holloway- its like night and day. Dixon is the back that would have been incredible with a Fitz or Dakota.

Ha, ok. Norwood = Holloway, got it.

Norwood all day, in any offense. He's the best RB to ever play at State, and I don't think it's all that close. And yes, I know all about Haddix and JJ and Davis and Fair. Norwood would have been unstoppable in anything resembling a decent offense.

Dixon was great, loved him his senior year. But he is not Norwood.

Bama_Dawg
12-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Love them both and would be happy with either but if I had a choice I'd pick James Johnson. Dude was a stud.

This! JJ could make a hole where there wasn't a hole. He was always falling forward (kinda like Marcus Allen).

But for the sake of conversation, I'd take Boobie in a New York minute. He could (can) do it all, block, catch, and carry dudes on his back for 10 yards.

Norwood is electric, don't get me wrong, I'd let him play.

lamont
12-19-2016, 09:47 AM
Norwood was very good. And I wasn't calling him Holloway. Just used that example of what a big physical back can do on the zone to keep defenses in a bind

smootness
12-19-2016, 10:44 AM
Norwood was very good. And I wasn't calling him Holloway. Just used that example of what a big physical back can do on the zone to keep defenses in a bind

But that comparison was like saying that because Barry Sanders had more success in an offense than TJ Duckett, then Brandon Holloway would likely have more success than Aeris Williams.

Holloway is good in a certain role, but that's it. Norwood would have been great in any role. The talent isn't comparable in any scenario.

Norwood in this system, especially with a QB like Dak/Fitzgerald, would put up as many yards as you wanted him to put up. Would have run for 7+ yards per carry.

Johnson85
12-19-2016, 11:26 AM
Ha, ok. Norwood = Holloway, got it.

Norwood all day, in any offense. He's the best RB to ever play at State, and I don't think it's all that close. And yes, I know all about Haddix and JJ and Davis and Fair. Norwood would have been unstoppable in anything resembling a decent offense.

Dixon was great, loved him his senior year. But he is not Norwood.
Norwood would be better in everygame but Bama. He was a home run threat, better catcher, and was still decent size. But I'm not sure Norwood's speed will matter against Bama. Might would rather have that extra hal yard to a yard that Boobie would get us after contact.