PDA

View Full Version : Ladies Dawgs 12-0

shannondawg
12-18-2016, 06:18 PM
Pulled out a close one. Beat Southern Cal to win the tourney! 76-72

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
12-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Love this team. Never doubted them one second today.

Know how to win regardless of situation. Something that must be learned & it takes time, years. The men's team is going through the learning process now, hopefully will have it down by next year. I bet Holman doesn't forget to block out on a buzzer beater again.

TXDawg
12-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Didn't get to watch the game. Is Dom D back yet?

the59dawg
12-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Nope. Schaefer is doing a pretty good job of defensing in her spot. And she is scoring. 18 Friday.

klong-dog
12-18-2016, 07:31 PM
Nope, she's not. The back up pg Holmes came in and have some great minutes. The daughter has played well in her absence as well. Have a lot of depth with this team too.

RocketDawg
12-18-2016, 08:23 PM
Nope. Schaefer is doing a pretty good job of defensing in her spot. And she is scoring. 18 Friday.

That's great. Sounds like a huge improvement over last year. But it's not easy to look good when you only are in for mop-up duty.

dawgwhisperer
12-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Feeling pretty good about this team. They may make a deeeeep run in the tourney.

mparkerfd20
12-19-2016, 10:46 AM
Feeling pretty good about this team. They may make a deeeeep run in the tourney.

Until they meet UCONN. Ain't nobody knocking UCONN women off their perch this year.

BeardoMSU
12-19-2016, 10:47 AM
The gals are the only undefeated team left in the SEC.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
12-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Dom is my favorite player but my hope is that her injury makes us a better team in March. Roshunda Johnson & Blair Schaefer are more natural scorers so having them get comfortable playing big minutes can only help. When Dom gets back we will be much better on defense, and Ro & Blair will be ready to come in and score. Biggest thing is that we're winning without her leadership on the court, & others are forced to step up.

Agreed on the backup PG's minutes, Jazz Holmes took the game over for about a 5 minute run in the 2nd half.

starkvegasdawg
12-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Until they meet UCONN. Ain't nobody knocking UCONN women off their perch this year.

That sounds familiar.

smootness
12-19-2016, 11:43 AM

Yet this is about the best chance anybody will have had or will have for a while. They'll lose less than 5 points off this year's team next year, and their top 2 and 3 of their top 5 will be there at least 2 more years after this one.

They may be slightly vulnerable this year, then you won't get them for at least the next 2 after that.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
12-19-2016, 12:55 PM
They've beaten #2 Notre Dame by 11, #3 Baylor by 11, #7 FSU by 2, & #16 Texas by 18. They play #12 Ohio State today, and interested to see them vs. USCe in February.

The FSU 2 pt loss gives some hope but that was their season-opener. I figured losing Stewart & a couple of seniors off last year's team would leave them at least in a re-loading year but double-digit wins over the #2 & #3 teams suggest they are already pretty well loaded. Have won national title game by an avg of 24 points the last 4 years. Yikes.

smootness
12-19-2016, 01:18 PM
They've beaten #2 Notre Dame by 11, #3 Baylor by 11, #7 FSU by 2, & #16 Texas by 18. They play #12 Ohio State today, and interested to see them vs. USCe in February.

The FSU 2 pt loss gives some hope but that was their season-opener. I figured losing Stewart & a couple of seniors off last year's team would leave them at least in a re-loading year but double-digit wins over the #2 & #3 teams suggest they are already pretty well loaded. Have won national title game by an avg of 24 points the last 4 years. Yikes.

That's the thing, they did have to reload. Last year's team was arguably the best ever, and it was led all year by 3 seniors, one of whom was arguably the greatest college player ever. This is their 'rebuilding' year, and they are odds-on favorites to win it all.

It's honestly kind of stupid at this point.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
12-19-2016, 03:28 PM
It's honestly kind of stupid at this point.

Yep. I'm a huge fan of parity, and I think you have a lesser product with the UCONN WBB & BAMA FBs of the world. I enjoy sports because there's always an opportunity for expectations to be either fulfilled or upset. Nothing enjoyable for me about knowing the ultimate outcome. That's why I prefer watching sports instead of my wife's preference of House Hunters or Hallmark Christmas movies where you know what will happen & your expectations are always met.

I must say tho from a scientist's perspective there is something to be said for observing an organism evolve into the ultimate predator, i.e. seeing how the unstoppable force became unstoppable, how the immovable object became immovable. If expectations are upset in the face of a UCONN WBB in the 2017 NCAA tourney then there's a lot of extra enjoyment to be had for overcoming all odds.

smootness
12-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Yep. I'm a huge fan of parity, and I think you have a lesser product with the UCONN WBB & BAMA FBs of the world. I enjoy sports because there's always an opportunity for expectations to be either fulfilled or upset. Nothing enjoyable for me about knowing the ultimate outcome. That's why I prefer watching sports instead of my wife's preference of House Hunters or Hallmark Christmas movies where you know what will happen & your expectations are always met.

I must say tho from a scientist's perspective there is something to be said for observing an organism evolve into the ultimate predator, i.e. seeing how the unstoppable force became unstoppable, how the immovable object became immovable. If expectations are upset in the face of a UCONN WBB in the 2017 NCAA tourney then there's a lot of extra enjoyment to be had for overcoming all odds.

I'm not really advocating for a rule to increase parity, but it is kind of stupid. And UConn women's basketball is on a different level even from Bama football. Bama football is the most talented team in the country year in and year out, but the difference in talent level between them and programs like Ohio State and Clemson is not that drastic. They are still vulnerable every year and have to continue to play at the top of their game to win.

The nature of women's basketball in its current state is that there is a giant gulf between the elite players and the next tier. If you have one of the truly elite players, you are an elite team. UConn annually has at least 2-3 of those players in addition to a bunch of others who were in the top 5-10 of their recruiting class. You just literally can't compete with that. If they win it all this year, they're almost guaranteed to win 7 in a row and would probably make it more like 10.

99jc
12-19-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm not really advocating for a rule to increase parity, but it is kind of stupid. And UConn women's basketball is on a different level even from Bama football. Bama football is the most talented team in the country year in and year out, but the difference in talent level between them and programs like Ohio State and Clemson is not that drastic. They are still vulnerable every year and have to continue to play at the top of their game to win.

The nature of women's basketball in its current state is that there is a giant gulf between the elite players and the next tier. If you have one of the truly elite players, you are an elite team. UConn annually has at least 2-3 of those players in addition to a bunch of others who were in the top 5-10 of their recruiting class. You just literally can't compete with that. If they win it all this year, they're almost guaranteed to win 7 in a row and would probably make it more like 10.

nM

smootness
12-19-2016, 06:05 PM
But that's the point. They're nowhere near as good as they were last year and are still the favorites to win it all.

TaleofTwoDogs
12-19-2016, 06:43 PM
I agree they dominate in their sport more than any men's program right now. Anytime you see a program consistently dominate a sport you have to wonder if a little bit of the "network" is in play.

msbulldog
12-19-2016, 07:07 PM

You might be right, but sometimes that ball bounces in strange ways.

msbulldog
12-19-2016, 07:13 PM

Yea, but they have not met the #5 team in the nation! HAIL STATE!

msbulldog
12-19-2016, 07:19 PM

Hell do you teach at State? You sound like the guy I took principle of psychology from in about '75 or '76, really good guy.

msbulldog
12-19-2016, 07:26 PM

We pretty much have parity in WWB, unlike Baseball. If you want parity with uconn, your gonna have to shoot their coach. lol.

smootness
12-19-2016, 07:33 PM
We pretty much have parity in WWB, unlike Baseball. If you want parity with uconn, your gonna have to shoot their coach. lol.

You're saying there is parity in women's basketball but not in college baseball? You'll have to explain that one to me.

Thick
12-19-2016, 07:42 PM
I really like Vic Schaeffer, and his approach to how he coaches and how he handles his players. They seem to respond well to him. I really hope the light will turn on with McGowan offensively.