PDA

View Full Version : Keytaon Thompson Is Currently On the Field Practicing at MSU

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2016, 11:21 AM
His recruiting process is officially over.

James Jackson (Who Rosebowl said OM would attempt to flip) & Tyler Williams are also practicing. Their recruiting process is also over

Reason2succeed
12-17-2016, 11:22 AM
Hail State!

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Hail State!

No doubt. Huge accomplishment by all involved.

Vandelay Industries
12-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Awesome news. They can practice but can't travel to the bowl game, correct?

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2016, 12:01 PM
Awesome news. They can practice but can't travel to the bowl game, correct?

correct

msstate7
12-17-2016, 12:05 PM
Mullen got his #1 qb... gotta feel good about this. I looked at next year's targets on 247 and it has several big time wr's. Need to hold on to heath and get some of those others and some olinemen.

Shooter McGavin
12-17-2016, 12:48 PM
I remember Shotgun posting about Landry-Walker having a big time WR recruit next year. Hopefully he wants the chance to play with Key again.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2016, 12:59 PM
I remember Shotgun posting about Landry-Walker having a big time WR recruit next year. Hopefully he wants the chance to play with Key again.

They do, but my guess is that he's likely a massive LSU fan that would rather compete with 12 other 6'5" WRs for the opportunity to block on the edge for their RB rather than coming to MSU where he can be a star, play the same schedule, & have a really good chance of having quality QB play for next 6 years.

If recent history is any indicator, this is the most likely outcome

Just guessin

Dawgface
12-17-2016, 01:34 PM
I'm happy he's here but it must be exciting for KT to be on the field with college athletes after just playing HS ball. Hope all the EE enjoy their bonus time.

defiantdog
12-17-2016, 01:55 PM
They do, but my guess is that he's likely a massive LSU fan that would rather compete with 12 other 6'5" WRs for the opportunity to block on the edge for their RB rather than coming to MSU where he can be a star, play the same schedule, & have a really good chance of having quality QB play for next 6 years.

Just guessin
Devonta Jason?! That guy can go anywhere and be a star.

Shooter McGavin
12-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Glad to see you've moved on from the Guidry to LSU news. (I kid I kid).

In all seriousness, we are going to be ok at WR. Someone of the Todd, Mitchell and Couch group will step up. That being said, I would have gladly taken Guidry and it sucks we didn't get him. Like Rosebowl said on the boneyard just because you don't get a kid doesn't mean the coaches did something wrong. Sometimes it doesn't work out.

I agree with you though our depth chart has plenty of opportunity but I guess playing for LSU has a pied piper like allure for these Louisiana kids.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Devonta Jason?! That guy can go anywhere and be a star.

We've said this about numerous LSU recruits in the past

archdog
12-17-2016, 02:14 PM
Jesse Jackson will be another year from injury as well.

Dawg61
12-17-2016, 02:24 PM

Just guessin

It's like you're speaking to him directly

Todd4State
12-17-2016, 02:27 PM

In all seriousness, we are going to be ok at WR. Someone of the Todd, Mitchell and Couch group will step up. That being said, I would have gladly taken Guidry and it sucks we didn't get him. Like Rosebowl said on the boneyard just because you don't get a kid doesn't mean the coaches did something wrong. Sometimes it doesn't work out.

I agree with you though our depth chart has plenty of opportunity but I guess playing for LSU has a pied piper like allure for these Louisiana kids.

I think Todd and Couch are both going to be really good. We have a commitment from Malik Heath who might be the best player in Mississippi for 2018 and he's a true go to WR.

defiantdog
12-17-2016, 02:34 PM

Todd is going to be really good if he can find a way to hit the weights like Gray. I'm a big fan of Couch and believe he was a steal. He came from a high school that only threw the ball 5 times a game. He has some catching up to do, but he'll be fine. Malik Heath will eventually make everyone forget about any Juco we miss on.

ScoobaDawg
12-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Pretty awesome to convince him to come to campus for today only, since this is the last bowl practice before dec 22 when they arrive in tampa.

Dawg61
12-17-2016, 02:45 PM
Pretty awesome to convince him to come to campus for today only, since this is the last bowl practice before dec 22 when they arrive in tampa.

Probably didn't take much convincing I bet he couldn't sleep last night he was so excited to practice with us for the first time. Congrats Key!!

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2016, 03:01 PM
Todd is going to be really good if he can find a way to hit the weights like Gray. I'm a big fan of Couch and believe he was a steal. He came from a high school that only threw the ball 5 times a game. He has some catching up to do, but he'll be fine. Malik Heath will eventually make everyone forget about any Juco we miss on.

I tell you what could really help us next year is if Gabe Myles would get himself right. He's got a good toolset but needs to work all off season on his hands

From a pure speed and athlete standpoint, he's brings many of the same attributes as Ross

RocketDawg
12-17-2016, 03:02 PM
correct

Could they be on the sidelines if they paid their own way to the bowl game?

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2016, 03:05 PM
Could they be on the sidelines if they paid their own way to the bowl game?

Not sure, but my guess would be yes. I don't see why not

KB21
12-17-2016, 03:06 PM
I wonder if people realize just how good this kid is?

When I watch this kid's highlights, I see Cam Newton. I would challenge anyone to find another dual threat quarterback in the country that is as good as he is at the high school level.

Obviously, there will be a developmental curve. He's got to learn to come off his primary target and go through his progressions as well as recognizing coverages pre-snap. Nick Fitzgerald is still working on these nuances.

RocketDawg
12-17-2016, 03:09 PM

When I watch this kid's highlights, I see Cam Newton. I would challenge anyone to find another dual threat quarterback in the country that is as good as he is at the high school level.

Obviously, there will be a developmental curve. He's got to learn to come off his primary target and go through his progressions as well as recognizing coverages pre-snap. Nick Fitzgerald is still working on these nuances.

Will he allow Nick to have a senior year with us? Is he that good?

Political Hack
12-17-2016, 03:21 PM

He's ahead of where Newton was at this age. Doesn't mean he'll end up in the same place, but he's definitely ahead of where Newton was at 17/18.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2016, 03:28 PM
This morning I watched video of highly coveted Lowell Narcisse and 247 had them in the right order with Key being better. Narcisse is Vick like and Key is Newton like. Narcisse is more physically mature and thus developed earlier while Key has needed to grow into his body. Narcisse almost looks like a left handed Cam Akers that projects to play slot. Key is the QB.

KB21
12-17-2016, 03:34 PM
Will he allow Nick to have a senior year with us? Is he that good?

I'm going to be careful to not underrate how good Nick Fitzgerald is as well. I anticipate a redshirt year for KT and a year as a back up before becoming the main guy. The problem is, we need a back up QB. I'd hate to waste KT's freshman year if Nick were to miss some snaps.

KB21
12-17-2016, 03:36 PM
I will also add this. I watched some video of 2018 QB prospect Justin Rogers who plays at Parkway HS, which is the same HS as CJ Morgan-Walker. I hope we can get him and just continue this string of excellence at QB. I like him better than Jalen Maydin out of Texas, though that kid is good as well.

Dawgology
12-17-2016, 03:40 PM
I talked to a buddy of mine that works for ESPN who was out there filming for some pickup stuff. He said Key looked really really good for his first day and no reps before. Said he already looks like a future NFL star. His words were that Key is "what Ole Miss had HOPED that Shea would be but ultimately wasn't".

Ifyouonlyknew
12-17-2016, 03:51 PM
I will also add this. I watched some video of 2018 QB prospect Justin Rogers who plays at Parkway HS, which is the same HS as CJ Morgan-Walker. I hope we can get him and just continue this string of excellence at QB. I like him better than Jalen Maydin out of Texas, though that kid is good as well.

We're not in it for Rogers currently. We do lead for Mayden right now but have to watch & see if either Texas (Herman offered at Houston & was on him hard) or Bama (brother plays there) offer. If not I feel great about our chances with him.

chef dixon
12-17-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm pretty sure Thompson accounted for more touchdowns this season that passing attempts Fitz had his senior year of highschool.

Fitz is coming along ok, but he's still got much work to do in the passing game. I'd expect Thompson to be a good bit more advanced throwing the football by his RS sophomore year than Fitz is.

Corn Bread
12-17-2016, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;672966]His recruiting process is officially over.

James Jackson (Who Rosebowl said OM would attempt to flip) & Tyler Williams are also practicing. Their recruiting process is also over[/QUOTE

Congrats to the entire staff. But also thank you to these young men who stayed committed. Enjoy your time here.

defiantdog
12-17-2016, 05:21 PM
We're not in it for Rogers currently. We do lead for Mayden right now but have to watch & see if either Texas (Herman offered at Houston & was on him hard) or Bama (brother plays there) offer. If not I feel great about our chances with him.

Depending on what Sark does, Bama may be making a push for Mayden. They've already missed on a few 2018 guys.

KB21
12-17-2016, 05:35 PM

Hmm. Is Rogers just not reciprocating the interest? Man, if I were a dual threat quarterback that has that kind of size, Dan Mullen is the guy I want coaching me.

Todd4State
12-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Hmm. Is Rogers just not reciprocating the interest? Man, if I were a dual threat quarterback that has that kind of size, Dan Mullen is the guy I want coaching me.

I have no doubt that Dan will find a really good QB for us or he will just develop one for us as long as he is here. Chris Relf and Tyson Lee is his floor absolute worst case scenario for us- and Relf was pretty good and would have been even better with two more years of coaching. The thing is 1-2 years out we really won't know who the real candidates for our QB position is going to be.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-17-2016, 06:06 PM

Recently released a Top 5 & we weren't in it.

Reason2succeed
12-17-2016, 06:15 PM
Like every HS QB KT will have to unlearn somethings. There are things he could get away with in HS that will not work in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Holy moly..... where did this walk-on come from that was at today's practice? Heard he was 6'4" 225 & looks like Cam Newton.**

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/151/7/5007151.jpg

msstate7
12-17-2016, 06:56 PM
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/151/7/5007151.jpg

I'd love to see KT and fitz side by side. Compare size

ShotgunDawg
12-17-2016, 07:00 PM

Here's the thing, Key has the frame to add 15-20 lbs. He's gonna look like Cam or Roethlisburger. He's extremely undeveloped physically, I that's why it's taken the recruiting services so long to get him rated correctly. The early muturity guys like Akers will always be the highest rated because they don't need any projection

I seen it dawg
12-17-2016, 09:29 PM

Parkway has quite a few prospects.

Dawg61
12-17-2016, 09:59 PM
I'm going to be careful to not underrate how good Nick Fitzgerald is as well. I anticipate a redshirt year for KT and a year as a back up before becoming the main guy. The problem is, we need a back up QB. I'd hate to waste KT's freshman year if Nick were to miss some snaps.

Last Chance U can take some snaps. He started over the Auburn QB for a reason.

IMissJack
12-17-2016, 10:07 PM
Last Chance U can take some snaps. He started over the Auburn QB for a reason.

I'd love for us to get a big enough lead that he could take some snaps in the bowl.

lamont
12-17-2016, 10:36 PM
Ive heard Last Chance U isnt eligible for the bowl game due to grades. Havent confirmed

Quaoarsking
12-18-2016, 12:39 AM
I'd love for us to get a big enough lead that he could take some snaps in the bowl.

And burn a year of eligibility just for garbage time in 1 game?

Don't play him in the bowl game and we'll have him for 2017 and 2018.

Dawgface
12-18-2016, 09:31 AM

Didn't I read where on campus practice ended yesterday. Team will take a 3 day break and then travel to FL Wed. Was Saturday the only day KT got to be in on?

dawgs
12-18-2016, 10:05 AM

If it's just a few snaps, last chance u can hand the ball off a few times. Or gave Myles can run some spread option (or someone else that played QB in HS). If it's an injury where fitz misses games, hopefully Thompson comes in and pretty much Wally pips him.

dawgs
12-18-2016, 10:09 AM
This morning I watched video of highly coveted Lowell Narcisse and 247 had them in the right order with Key being better. Narcisse is Vick like and Key is Newton like. Narcisse is more physically mature and thus developed earlier while Key has needed to grow into his body. Narcisse almost looks like a left handed Cam Akers that projects to play slot. Key is the QB.

What's funny is when the key/lsu rumors got hot on here a week or 2 ago, I asked a lsu buddy and he said 1) he didn't know who key was until the day before that and 2) lsu wasn't that interested. So I find it hilarious that narcissus me then decommitted from lsu and that 247 has key ranked better than narcisse.

ShotgunDawg
12-18-2016, 10:21 AM
What's funny is when the key/lsu rumors got hot on here a week or 2 ago, I asked a lsu buddy and he said 1) he didn't know who key was until the day before that and 2) lsu wasn't that interested. So I find it hilarious that narcissus me then decommitted from lsu and that 247 has key ranked better than narcisse.

I think LSU had big interest in Key but didn't want to deal with the humiliation of offering an instate kid they couldn't get. I believe if LSU thought they could flip Key, they would've offered.

msbulldog
12-18-2016, 11:32 AM
I think LSU had big interest in Key but didn't want to deal with the humiliation of offering an instate kid they couldn't get. I believe if LSU thought they could flip Key, they would've offered.

Nailed it, that's how LSU operates.

maroonmania
12-18-2016, 01:40 PM

Yep, same way it operated with Guidry. The "reoffer" to him was made a story only after they knew they could reacquire him.

State82
12-18-2016, 03:48 PM
Mike Detillier said last week in a interview that LSU was not pursuing Key for some reason. Mike was very high on him and didn't understand what was going on with LSU's lack of serious effort on him.

RougeDawg
12-18-2016, 04:10 PM
Mike Detillier said last week in a interview that LSU was not pursuing Key for some reason. Mike was very high on him and didn't understand what was going on with LSU's lack of serious effort on him.

Because LSU takes NFL talent QB prospects and turns them into used car salesmen. Key told them to not waste their time.

State82
12-18-2016, 10:00 PM
Because LSU takes NFL talent QB prospects and turns them into used car salesmen. Key told them to not waste their time.

I would agree

CadaverDawg
12-18-2016, 10:04 PM

Because LSU reached out to him late, and Key told them he was going to State. Somebody tell Mike that the reason they aren't after him is bc they have already been told not to waste their time...not bc they don't want or need him. They do.

lamont
12-18-2016, 10:27 PM
Because LSU reached out to him late, and Key told them he was going to State. Somebody tell Mike that the reason they aren't after him is bc they have already been told not to waste their time...not bc they don't want or need him. They do.

No shit- would one time like to see Bo grow some balls and point the obvious out to people like that. That is how change happens. Bo just needs to ask "Mike, as bad as LSU has recruited QB's the last decade- how could they not have thrown the house at Thompson? He's the best QB prospect out of Louisiana in years?"

Grow a pair Bo

CadaverDawg
12-19-2016, 12:42 AM
No shit- would one time like to see Bo grow some balls and point the obvious out to people like that. That is how change happens. Bo just needs to ask "Mike, as bad as LSU has recruited QB's the last decade- how could they not have thrown the house at Thompson? He's the best QB prospect out of Louisiana in years?"

Grow a pair Bo

Agree

Reason2succeed
12-19-2016, 01:32 AM

Grow a pair Bo

...And then back away from the keyboard and think about how much pressure and harassment would come the player's way if all of LSU's fandom was told that a player told them GFU. I'm good with Bo and Mike saying whatever allows our coaches to get their guy which he did.

I fully understand you wanting some respect but more than respect I wanted the player wearing maroon and white.