PDA

View Full Version : Changing of the Guard in GA HS Football

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2016, 08:36 AM
I know most of you won't care, but a big coaching change took place yesterday in Georgia. Jess Simpson is resigning from Buford to take an on-field position at Georgia State. Buford is the most dominant program in the state over the past 20 years. Simpson was D.C. and took over as HC in 2005 going 164-12

http://www.gwinnettprepsports.com/schools/buford/jess-simpson-resigns-as-buford-s-head-football-coach-for/article_0b2764de-c39d-11e6-9cc7-93d48f329685.html

I mention this because Jess is an old friend from Marietta. His mentor and AD at Buford was our coach in HS. If you had told me in 1990 if anyone at Marietta would be a dominant coach for 10 years, I have laughed in your face. I definitely would not have picked Simpson, who our RB coach once described as "running like a garbage truck with 4 flat tires."

It will be very interesting to see who Buford hires to take the reigns. Could have a domino effect around the state.

Turfdawg67
12-17-2016, 09:16 AM
There's rumors out there, mostly from SDS, that Mullen is a candidate at Buford HS. CL to run an article about it tomorrow.***

No BS Dawg
12-17-2016, 09:45 AM
There's rumors out there, mostly from SDS, that Mullen is a candidate at Buford HS. CL to run an article about it tomorrow.***

High quality response!

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2016, 10:04 AM
If Mullen doesn't like recruiting, then Buford doesn't want him. They recruit better than Georgia Tech.

FISHDAWG
12-17-2016, 10:15 AM
If Mullen doesn't like recruiting, then Buford doesn't want him. They recruit better than Georgia Tech.

I remember when Valdosta was the HS football machine ... they even recruited out of state and got in trouble for it if I remember correctly

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2016, 10:22 AM
I remember when Valdosta was the HS football machine ... they even recruited out of state and got in trouble for it if I remember correctly
Top programs in Ga still do it, but not as conspicuous as they used to. Valdosta, Camden, Colquit, and Lowndes are all right in the FL line and all have military bases - they recruit big time. Buford takes advantage of semi lax out of district transfers in the Gwinnett system. When we were at Marietta, our coach and booster club were the masters at finding apartments for Cobb County kids to "live" in the city.

Political Hack
12-17-2016, 11:34 AM
Top programs in Ga still do it, but not as conspicuous as they used to. Valdosta, Camden, Colquit, and Lowndes are all right in the FL line and all have military bases - they recruit big time. Buford takes advantage of semi lax out of district transfers in the Gwinnett system. When we were at Marietta, our coach and booster club were the masters at finding apartments for Cobb County kids to "live" in the city.

Grayson does it too and it's been pretty publicized the when they got caught. I'm not sure it was against the rule but people still gave them hell. Hit the news I think.

Football in Gwinnett is legit. Grayson, Buford, and Norcross are damn near college level programs.

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2016, 11:45 AM
Grayson does it too and it's been pretty publicized the when they got caught. I'm not sure it was against the rule but people still gave them hell. Hit the news I think.

Football in Gwinnett is legit. Grayson, Buford, and Norcross are damn near college level programs.

Allatoona got caught by the AJC after they beat my Glynn Academy Red Terrors for the State Title last year. They had 2 kids living in the next county. Our coach didn't say much since we had a star WR/RB we had poached from Brunswick High just for the playoffs.

MidTNDawg
12-17-2016, 03:05 PM
Brunswick, which Marietta school and when?

BrunswickDawg
12-17-2016, 03:29 PM
Brunswick, which Marietta school and when?
Marietta Blue Devil- c/o '91.

tenureplan
12-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Even if I had a legit college level athlete son, I would stay in Lambert School District. No thank you on Gwinnett County Schools.

Political Hack
12-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Even if I had a legit college level athlete son, I would stay in Lambert School District. No thank you on Gwinnett County Schools.

Gwinnett county schools are among the top in the state academically. I don't know where Lambert is, but Gwinnett is strong across the board athletically and academically.

#7 here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/patch.com/georgia/loganville/amp/25738493/the-top-100-school-systems-in-georgia?client=ms-opera-mini-iphone

#9 here: https://k12.niche.com/rankings/public-school-districts/best-overall/s/georgia/

MabenMaroon
12-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Back in the Coach Sherrill days we seemed to have a pipeline to talent coming out of the Lagrange, Newnan (?sp), Griffin area. Is that still areas of interest to us or were the ties due to specific asst coaches?

BrunswickDawg
12-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Back in the Coach Sherrill days we seemed to have a pipeline to talent coming out of the Lagrange, Newnan (?sp), Griffin area. Is that still areas of interest to us or were the ties due to specific asst coaches?
Back in those days, Lagrange and Griffin were talent hotbeds that were pumping out players, but I think there may have been a coach connection.

One hard thing about recruiting GA when you aren't a border state is the size and talent spread. Tennessee can recruit Dalton. USC/Clemson can recruit Augusta and Savannah, AU robs Columbus and Macon, FSU/UF snatch a lot of big uglies from Lee, Colquitt, Lowndes/Valdosta, and Camden. And everyone and their uncle recruits Metro Atlanta. And you not only compete with those schools, but you have UGA, GT, GA State, Ga So, Kennesaw, all in D1. Lots of hurdles for us in Ga.

Jack Straw
12-18-2016, 03:02 PM

I have a feeling that it isnt the academics or athletics that concern you about Gwinnett but rather the diversity. My kid is is in elementary in Gwinnett and I am amazed how far ahead of her cousins in Mississippi (Caledonia school district which is supposed to be very good) she is. As a whole school district, Gwinnett has chosen to have the most difficult curriculum in the state.

Sure some of the high schools are not as highly rated as the others (both in Gwinnett and other counties), but to look down on the best overall performing county school district (and the largest at nearly 180k students) in the state of Georgia as a whole is idiotic.

TUSK
12-18-2016, 04:00 PM
I have a feeling that it isnt the academics or athletics that concern you about Gwinnett but rather the diversity. My kid is is in elementary in Gwinnett and I am amazed how far ahead of her cousins in Mississippi (Caledonia school district which is supposed to be very good) she is. As a whole school district, Gwinnett has chosen to have the most difficult curriculum in the state.

Sure some of the high schools are not as highly rated as the others (both in Gwinnett and other counties), but to look down on the best overall performing county school district (and the largest at nearly 180k students) in the state of Georgia as a whole is idiotic.

Welp, this one's gonna get locked.

shrimp
12-18-2016, 05:51 PM
If I'm looking for a HS coach within the state of Georgia, my first call would be Danny Britt at Benedictine. 2A state championship 2 out of last 3 years. Great coach with a great system in place. His teams the last 3 years were dominant. I actually think he'd be a great addition to a college staff, especially on the defensive side.

BrunswickDawg
12-18-2016, 06:03 PM
If I'm looking for a HS coach within the state of Georgia, my first call would be Danny Britt at Benedictine. 2A state championship 2 out of last 3 years. Great coach with a great system in place. His teams the last 3 years were dominant. I actually think he'd be a great addition to a college staff, especially on the defensive side.
Benedictine whipped Glynn Academy's butt this year. Only team in the last 2 years to do that. We were never I the game with them - and we are a 6A school.

shrimp
12-18-2016, 10:03 PM
https://recruitgeorgia.com/south-georgia-players-coaches-year-small-schools/

The Glynn academy game was the closest all year. The Glynn QB (Miami commit) flashed a few times, but BC contained him for the most part.

He mixes in just enough athletes, along with unmatched discipline and a tailor made scheme. He's 66-14 in his 7 seasons at BC. And he does it with very little D1 talent. I think it's only a matter of time before he steps up to a higher classification or college. He's made a believer out of me for sure.