PDA

View Full Version : OU RB...

BurgDawg
12-16-2016, 08:31 PM
http://newsok.com/article/5531208?utm_source=NewsOK.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=NIC-Twitter

Dang doesn't get much worse...

RocketDawg
12-16-2016, 08:53 PM
When I first saw your subject line, I read it as "OUR RB". Thankfully it's not our Mixon.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 08:53 PM
Agree it's terrible, but should this end someone's football career?

I totally get how terrible domestic violence is, but I'm not totally decided on whether or not I'm on board with someone not being allowed to have a football career because of this. It seems counter productive to me for society to take away the structure of a football program and the opportunity to be mentored by successful adults.

Bob Stoops is catching a ton of grief right now, but, like Mullen, coaches are in a tough spot. Do you quit on the kid and watch him play for Bama, OM, or Auburn? Or do you help him?

Joe Mixon made a terrible mistake, but, without OU football, maybe he turns out like Quay Evans. Instead maybe now he has a chance to rebuild his life.

I'm just not sure what the right answer is here. The media just wants to quit on everyone. Jeffery Simmons is a 4.0 student. What would've happened if he was banned from football?

Lastly, I kind of shake my head when everyone reacts at these videos. You knew he hit a girl, so why is it shocking when you see that he actually hit a girl? You knew he did it.

KB21
12-16-2016, 08:59 PM

I totally get how terrible domestic violence is, but I'm not totally decided on whether or not I'm on board with someone not being allowed to have a football career because of this. It seems counter productive to me for society to take away the structure of a football program and the opportunity to be mentored by successful adults.

Bob Stoops is catching a ton of grief right now, but, like Mullen, coaches are in a tough spot. Do you quit on the kid and watch him play for Bama, OM, or Auburn? Or do you help him?

Joe Mixon made a terrible mistake, but, without OU football, maybe he turns out like Quay Evans. Instead maybe now he has a chance to rebuild his life.

I'm just not sure what the right answer is here. The media just wants to quit on everyone. Jeffery Simmons is a 4.0 student. What would've happened if he was banned from football?

Lastly, I kind of shake my head when everyone reacts at these videos. You knew he hit a girl, so why is it shocking when you see that he actually hit a girl? You knew he did it.

Yeah. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I agree with you that football may keep this guy from doing this again. On the other hand, if that were my daughter, then this guy would be dead right now.

Willn1
12-16-2016, 09:02 PM
First of all this isn't domestic abuse. Domestic abuse involves abusing someone you have a current relationship with. This would be classified as assault...if anything. I'm sure his attorney will argue that since she pushed and hit him first he was defending himself. It is painful to watch a man hitting a woman in that manner, but we all need to learn to keep our hands to ourselves. If you hit anyone, you stand a pretty good chance of being hit back by that person. That being said, he should have just walked away.

Chip
12-16-2016, 09:03 PM

Spot on.

BeardoMSU
12-16-2016, 09:11 PM
Not diminishing what he did at all, but people (men and women) can't be naive enough to think that they can lay hands on someone else and not get the same back.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 09:13 PM
The media says "OMG, no kid that does that should play college football. Outrage"

Problem with that stance is if everyone quits on them, they don't just die off and go away. They become drug dealers, murderers, and crooks. Society is not enhanced by these guys being run out of organized sports.

Perhaps the NCAA should have a disciplinary system that makes guys involved in this type of stuff complete a year plus checklist of things before being eligible to play.

Bass Chaser
12-16-2016, 09:14 PM
You do realize this is from 2014. He plead guilty to assault and received 100 hours community service. OU suspended him for year but kept him on team. He had a good year this year.

ETA: the video was released today.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 09:15 PM
You do realize this is from 2014. He plead guilty to assault and received 100 hours community service. OU suspended him for year but kept him on team. He had a good year this year.

Yes I do. I think OU handled it properly yet the media is outraged.

bulldawg28
12-16-2016, 09:25 PM
Yeah. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I agree with you that football may keep this guy from doing this again. On the other hand, if that were my daughter, then this guy would be dead right now.

Hopefully you've raised your daughter to respect people enough not to assault them. Both were wrong in this situation. What I would like to see is both people charged. They both assaulted each other.

RiverCityDawg
12-16-2016, 09:45 PM

Excellent post. Your last point is one I've been thinking while seeing the outrage on Facebook and elsewhere... What did you think a college athlete punching a girl in the face looked like? He shouldn't get punished twice for the same thing just because now people actually get to see it.

mparkerfd20
12-16-2016, 10:24 PM
If this was my daughter he wouldn't have to worry about football. He'd be lucky to be alive and would probably have trouble walking at a minimum for the rest of his life.

Offshore Dawg
12-16-2016, 10:34 PM
And then there is the chance that she is a OU paid slut for the football players like the ones the bears use. He probably did not like the "BJ" he got earlier and wanted her to finish her job.

dawgoneyall
12-16-2016, 10:34 PM
http://newsok.com/article/5531208?utm_source=NewsOK.com&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=NIC-Twitter

Dang doesn't get much worse...

She hit him first....you are a misogynist if you think women should be treated different than men.

You are deplorable.

dawgoneyall
12-16-2016, 10:35 PM

I would hope that your daughter would not strike another person.

dawgoneyall
12-16-2016, 10:36 PM

ETA: the video was released today.

Was she charged with assault????

Chip
12-16-2016, 11:51 PM
Was she charged with assault????

Yes both were charged with misdemeanor assault

blacklistedbully
12-17-2016, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't want that POS on my team, I don't care how good he is. Unlike Simmons, he wasn't protecting a sister. Sure, he had a right to defend himself, and she did strike first. But she was no threat to him whatsoever, and was so obviously much weaker.

That sack of shit loaded up and decked her with everything he had. **** him.

Bothrops
12-17-2016, 02:58 AM
If that were my daughter, this dudes head would be an antenna ornament on my truck by now.

smootness
12-17-2016, 10:26 AM
Not diminishing what he did at all, but people (men and women) can't be naive enough to think that they can lay hands on someone else and not get the same back.

Actually, diminishing what he did is exactly what you're doing.

I'm also torn on what the correct punishment is, but there should be no qualifications. What he did is entirely inexcusable.

smootness
12-17-2016, 10:27 AM
And then there is the chance that she is a OU paid slut for the football players like the ones the bears use. He probably did not like the "BJ" he got earlier and wanted her to finish her job.

Well, you win the award for worst comment on the situation I've read yet. Congrats.

1bigdawg
12-17-2016, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't want that POS on my team, I don't care how good he is. Unlike Simmons, he wasn't protecting a sister. Sure, he had a right to defend himself, and she did strike first. But she was no threat to him whatsoever, and was so obviously much weaker.

Where do YOU draw the line. Do smaller, weaker people have an unlimited right to hit bigger, stronger people without retaliation?

dawgs
12-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Where do YOU draw the line. Do smaller, weaker people have an unlimited right to hit bigger, stronger people without retaliation?

No, but there's a lot he could have done besides FRACTURE HER FACE IN 4 PLACES. Fact is that when a women pushes you or hits you in the chest, reality of the matter is you aren't in danger of getting hurt. it's almost the equivalent of punching a child in the face for pushing/slapping you in the body as far as realistic harm to be done to one party v. the other. Now if she came after him with a baseball bat or other weapon, he might have more of a self defense claim and be justified in punching her in the face hard enough to fracture it in 4 places. I've seen plenty of fights in my day and never seen someone get their face fractured.

1bigdawg
12-17-2016, 11:50 AM
No, but there's a lot he could have done besides FRACTURE HER FACE IN 4 PLACES. Fact is that when a women pushes you or hits you in the chest, reality of the matter is you aren't in danger of getting hurt. it's almost the equivalent of punching a child in the face for pushing/slapping you in the body as far as realistic harm to be done to one party v. the other. Now if she came after him with a baseball bat or other weapon, he might have more of a self defense claim and be justified in punching her in the face hard enough to fracture it in 4 places. I've seen plenty of fights in my day and never seen someone get their face fractured.

First, I agree that he was over the top with his violence and I believe that he got off light. I was challenging your statement that "she was no threat" and asked are bigger and stronger people supposed to just let smaller weaker people hit them if they are not a "real" threat, by whatever definition. Do they have to pick up a baseball bat first?

Mutt the Hoople
12-17-2016, 11:50 AM
If Auburn doesn't Joe Theismann his legs, they don't have a hair on their ass.
http://meetthematts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Joe-Theismann-broken-leg.jpg

Ari Gold
12-17-2016, 12:27 PM
He won't be playing in the NFL ..

blacklistedbully
12-17-2016, 01:07 PM

Give me a break! All one has to do is look at the video and realize the woman was not a threat. She wasn't hurting him at all. She was out-of-line, and had he simply shoved her back, or slapped her face, I could let that go. But he reeled back and hit with with everything he had.

NO WAY that's excusable in any way, shape or form.

And Gun, don't give me this crap about his alternative to the NFL being a life of crime. He can find a job that won't make him wealthy. As far as I'm concerned, that POS should have to find a job collecting garbage, flipping burgers, or whatever.

Guys like that are over-the-top violent, and don't give two shits how bad they **** up other people. Menace to society.