PDA

View Full Version : LF7 opts out of the Citrus Bowl....

TUSK
12-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Where do yall come down on this? I'd like to think that if health isn't a concern, he would want to make at least a half-assed effort...

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_3dd8b23e-c3bb-11e6-b1ab-db4f44a9e75d.html

starkvegasdawg
12-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Agent got in his head. If I were O I'd kick him off the team just to make a point.

PassInterference
12-16-2016, 03:07 PM
He's done enough for the NFL. Now needs to focus on his health and the combine. There's probably too much risk and not enough reward in playing another college game.

RocketDawg
He doesn't want to risk getting hurt.

PassInterference
Agent got in his head. If I were O I'd kick him off the team just to make a point.

Don't want to burn that bridge. When LF becomes a NFL stud, you want him promoting LSU.

Skydawg1
12-16-2016, 03:08 PM
I'm shocked he played at all this year. Especially after the firing of Les.

smootness
12-16-2016, 03:13 PM
I don't remember any player who has taken a road similar to this that ended up doing much of anything in the NFL. You have to love the game to make it at that level. And while I understand the logic behind the decision here, it seems pretty clear he doesn't love the game...at least not to that level.

Thick
12-16-2016, 03:18 PM
Well, he loves himself more then LSU. That's understandable to a point, but that's not going to go over well with LSU fans, and it might not translate with NFL GM's either.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Smart kid. Kid has laid it on the line for LSU for 3 years. He even played in games this year when the training staff told him not to. He hasn't been 100% all year & he's not 100% now. I have no problem with him saving some wear & tear for a meaningless game. You've done all you could for LSU now it's time to look out for your well being & get ready for the NFL.

TUSK
12-16-2016, 03:22 PM
I just think if he wanted to get ready/stay healthy for the NFL, he would have just sat out the whole year... He had little to gain by playing this year and, if anything, may have actually hurt his draft status a teeny bit...

It just seems "wrong" to take a half measure (provided he was physically healthy)...

But, it's not a real big deal to me, anyway... I was just curious as to you guys' take...

Indndawg
12-16-2016, 03:25 PM
from a back, so we know the heart is there.

Still, its one game to represent the school one more time, free education, room, board...wouldn't it worth it to put it on the line once more?

Will this carry over to preseason games? Not important enough to play.

Slippery slope perhaps.

LF is a warrior and would love for him to be drafted by Minnesota as the heir apparent to AP....same type of runner

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 03:26 PM
I don't remember any player who has taken a road similar to this that ended up doing much of anything in the NFL. You have to love the game to make it at that level. And while I understand the logic behind the decision here, it seems pretty clear he doesn't love the game...at least not to that level.

I agree and consider it a weak move primarily because he already has taken out an insurance policy on any injury he sustains that affects his draft stock. I hope he gets raked over the coals too, because this sets a really bad precedent for future players.

dawgday166
12-16-2016, 03:31 PM
It's not a CFP game or anything. He's played all year banged up and we all ain't sure how healthy he is now. It seems smart to me to recuperate, train, and be lights out at the combine.

bulldogcountry1
12-16-2016, 03:32 PM
Can't blame him, considering the program is in a transition phase, but there are better ways to handle it. If he's injured, leave it to the doctors to give him an excuse not to play. If he isn't, give him about 5 carries so nobody feels alienated and call it a day.

BB30
12-16-2016, 03:34 PM
All LSU had to do was put a competent QB on the field with him to take some pressure off. This is somewhat sorry though IMO you made a commitment to the school and the guys you are playing with, those guys on that team are supposed to be your brothers and you are letting them down. I felt somewhat bad for him until I saw this as there was probably 4-5 other schools he could have gone to and been a true difference maker, probably would have had a better shot at a Heisman and a NC. The guy is a freak and he runs very very angry you don't see that very often anymore.

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 03:47 PM
Smart kid. Kid has laid it on the line for LSU for 3 years. He even played in games this year when the training staff told him not to. He hasn't been 100% all year & he's not 100% now. I have no problem with him saving some wear & tear for a meaningless game. You've done all you could for LSU now it's time to look out for your well being & get ready for the NFL.

This is exactly how I feel. LF7 owes LSU nothing. He has 616 carries in 3 years for them. Time to save the rest of them for the NFL.

SDDawg
12-16-2016, 03:55 PM
I reluctantly side with LF on this one. While I understand the need to be a good teammate and to put your all into the sport, the shelf-life for a RB is so short and he has been a workhorse at LSU. I think it would be suicide for O to do anything other than celebrate him and thank him for his contribution over the past few years.

msbulldog
12-16-2016, 04:10 PM
Jacob Hester former LSU running back just said on Finebaum LF7 is limping around campus, so he is still injured.

BulldogBear
12-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Without some school (didn't have to be LSU) LF would never have seen the NFL. So he does owe whatever school he went to (LSU in this case) a HUGE 17ING AWFUL LOT.

With that said, I understand him not wanting to get hurt. But don't say, "Meh, he doesn't owe LSU anything." Without some college somewhere (again, in this case LSU) he would be just another Schmo trying to make a living instead of soon to be filthy rich.

smootness
12-16-2016, 04:26 PM
Jacob Hester former LSU running back just said on Finebaum LF7 is limping around campus, so he is still injured.

I mean, if he's legitimately hurt, then it's a completely different story. The only story would be why LSU is allowing this to be the narrative, rather than him being unable to play due to injury.

DudyDawg
12-16-2016, 04:28 PM
Without some school (didn't have to be LSU) LF would never have seen the NFL. So he does owe whatever school he went to (LSU in this case) a HUGE 17ING AWFUL LOT.

With that said, I understand him not wanting to get hurt. But don't say, "Meh, he doesn't owe LSU anything." Without some college somewhere (again, in this case LSU) he would be just another Schmo trying to make a living instead of soon to be filthy rich.

I would agree, but he's forced to go to school. He would've skipped it if possible. I don't think he owes them just bc the league forces him to go to school.

TUSK
12-16-2016, 04:32 PM
I mean, if he's legitimately hurt, then it's a completely different story. The only story would be why LSU is allowing this to be the narrative, rather than him being unable to play due to injury.

this is correct... and I've made my decision:

if he's healthy & insured, he's a selfish ***** for not giving his best to LSU & his teammates... it's not like he was gonna get raped by a Bammer D a 3rd time in the bowl game...

if he's injured, he (and everyone around him) handled this very poorly and criticism is well deserved.

so it is said, so it is done. /thread.

Jack Lambert
12-16-2016, 04:41 PM
To be honest I think Guice is a better option any ways.

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 05:06 PM

He owes LSU NOTHING. He would still get drafted if he opted to not play college football at all. He was by far the best RB in the country his senior year in HS. The ranking he was given was so high that him not playing college ball at all would still not drop him out of the draft. Those 616 carries at LSU have HURT his draft stock. He is one of only a handful of players ever that coulda gone straight from high school to the NFL and he woulda been drafted 1st round without one college snap.

RocketDawg
12-16-2016, 05:11 PM
this is correct... and I've made my decision:

if he's healthy & insured, he's a selfish ***** for not giving his best to LSU & his teammates... it's not like he was gonna get raped by a Bammer D a 3rd time in the bowl game...

if he's injured, he (and everyone around him) handled this very poorly and criticism is well deserved.

so it is said, so it is done. /thread.

Remember when Colt McCoy feigned injury in the game with Bama and pulled himself (or his father did) out of the game? At least Fournette is doing it before a relatively meaningless bowl game.

starkvegasdawg
12-16-2016, 05:17 PM
He may not owe lsu anything, but that is arguable. He owes his teammates everything and that's who he's telling to 17 off if he's not legitimately injured.

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 05:24 PM
He may not owe lsu anything, but that is arguable. He owes his teammates everything and that's who he's telling to 17 off if he's not legitimately injured.

Yea right and I'm sure those teammates would all still be by his side if he gets hurt and never plays in the NFL 2-3 years from now. Get real.

RocketDawg
12-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Yea right and I'm sure those teammates would all still be by his side if he gets hurt and never plays in the NFL 2-3 years from now. Get real.

I don't really blame him. We're talking potentially millions of dollars when he gets drafted. And running backs have a rather short NFL tenure anyway. If he plays this game and even gets slightly injured, it could have a considerable financial impact on him.

Political Hack
12-16-2016, 05:30 PM
If he's banged up pretty badly, I understand it. If he's sitting out for precautionary measures, he's lady parts.

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 05:32 PM

Lets put MSU in those shoes. Lets say MSU has a nice season next year with Aeris rushing for 1200ish yards and we make the Sugar Bowl. If Aeris did the same thing and bowed out, what would your opinion of him be?

TUSK
12-16-2016, 05:36 PM
Remember when Colt McCoy feigned injury in the game with Bama and pulled himself (or his father did) out of the game? At least Fournette is doing it before a relatively meaningless bowl game.

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 05:40 PM
Lets put MSU in those shoes. Lets say MSU has a nice season next year with Aeris rushing for 1200ish yards and we make the Sugar Bowl. If Aeris did the same thing and bowed out, what would your opinion of him be?

It's not comparable because Aeris wasn't one of the highest rated HS senior RB's in the history of football like LF7. The argument should be that the NFL allows in extreme cases for certain players like LF7 to be able to go straight to the NFL from HS. Problem is how do you determine who is allowed and who isn't.

TUSK
12-16-2016, 05:40 PM

DAK would be a 4 letter word if he'd done this...

TUSK
12-16-2016, 05:46 PM
It's not comparable because Aeris wasn't one of the highest rated HS senior RB's in the history of football like LF7. The argument should be that the NFL allows in extreme cases for certain players like LF7 to be able to go straight to the NFL from HS. Problem is how do you determine who is allowed and who isn't.

I agree with this '61... I've never liked the idea of preventing someone from earning a living...

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 05:48 PM

Dude you really need a tutorial on how to post pics on here. Going to attempt to try to help you again.

1. find the picture you want to display
2. press "view image" on the picture
3. press the "copy" button on your laptop (control and C button held at the same time)
4. click the picture button above where you are typing ^^^^^^^ that is right next to the film image
5. press "from URL"
6. deselect "retrieve remote file and reference locally"
7. press the "paste" button (control and V button held at the same time)
8. hit "OK"
9. hit "post quick reply"

Please post a practice picture of Saban screaming after reading this. May god have mercy on your soul if you still can't get this correct.

I seen it dawg
12-16-2016, 05:48 PM
The guy is hurt. Won't be near 100% in time for bowl. He should sit.

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 05:51 PM

http://www.elitedawgs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2632&d=1481927794

Hey look Tusk mine is bigger than yours just like my ....

TUSK
12-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Dude you really need a tutorial on how to post pics on here. Going to attempt to try to help you again.

3. press the "copy" button on your laptop (control and C button held at the same time)
4. click the picture button above where you are typing ^^^^^^^ that is right next to the film image
5. press "from URL"
8. hit "OK"

Please post a practice picture of Saban screaming after reading this. May god have mercy on your soul if you still can't get this correct.

I was with ya until step 2... I suck.

I did find a sweet pic of MDL hollerin' tho... I'll work on it.

TUSK
12-16-2016, 05:59 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2632&d=1481927794

Hey look Tusk mine is bigger than yours just like my ....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dawg61 again.

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 06:04 PM
I was with ya until step 2... I suck.

I did find a sweet pic of MDL hollerin' tho... I'll work on it.

I am guessing you're trying to do this from mobile (phone or iPad) so that's why you don't see "view image". In this case just press your finger on the image till it says "copy". Then do all the steps I said after that. I wanna see this pic.

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 06:06 PM

How is it not comparable? Because Aeris would be a 4th or 5th rounder vs. Fournette as a 1st rounder? They would both still be risking a lifechanging amount of money to play in the bowl game. Who was better coming out of high school doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

sleepy dawg
12-16-2016, 06:10 PM

Apples and oranges. Let's say MSU was at the end of a disappointing season. Our senior RB, who has the potential to be one of the best NFL RBs of all time, who has given his all to us over the past 4 years, and who has played injured all year, who is very likely a top 5 draft pick, and who is still banged up, decides he shouldn't play in our bowl in what the vast majority of our fans consider a very disappointing season... my opinion would be wise move and best of luck to him in the future.

I look forward to seeing him play on Sundays.

TUSK
12-16-2016, 06:14 PM
I am guessing you're trying to do this from mobile (phone or iPad) so that's why you don't see "view image". In this case just press your finger on the image till it says "copy". Then do all the steps I said after that. I wanna see this pic.

PM sent.

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 06:20 PM
Apples and oranges. Let's say MSU was at the end of a disappointing season. Our senior RB, who has the potential to be one of the best NFL RBs of all time, who has given his all to us over the past 4 years, and who has played injured all year, who is very likely a top 5 draft pick, and who is still banged up, decides he shouldn't play in our bowl in what the vast majority of our fans consider a very disappointing season... my opinion would be wise move and best of luck to him in the future.

I look forward to seeing him play on Sundays.

If he is actually hurt and not going to be 100%, then whatever his injury is must be pretty serious since their game isn't for 3 more weeks. In that case, I understand it. Still think the statement ought to say that, or that there ought to be no statement. It would be better for LSU to list him as questionable and not announce he isn't playing until gameday anyways. Why disclose that he isn't playing this early? Makes no sense.

But if he isn't hurt, or he has only slightly hurt to where he could be 100% in a few weeks, he should play. Just my two cents.

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Who was better coming out of high school doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

Better doesn't do justice for the difference between senior in HS LF and senior in HS Aeris. You're basically comparing Aeris to LeBron James here as far as where James and Fournette were ranked coming outta high school. Fournette has already damaged his draft and NFL career for LSU. They are playing in basically a meaningless game for them. If they were in the playoff I guarantee you LF would be playing in the game. Fournette coulda pulled a Clowney and just half assed it all year till the draft but he didn't. He played hurt for LSU this year. Didn't hurt Clowney one bit either as he was drafted #1 overall by the Texans. Maybe LF shoulda pulled a Clowney all year instead.

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 06:32 PM
Better doesn't do justice for the difference between senior in HS LF and senior in HS Aeris. You're basically comparing Aeris to LeBron James here as far as where James and Fournette were ranked coming outta high school. Fournette has already damaged his draft and NFL career for LSU. They are playing in basically a meaningless game for them. If they were in the playoff I guarantee you LF would be playing in the game. Fournette coulda pulled a Clowney and just half assed it all year till the draft but he didn't. He played hurt for LSU this year. Didn't hurt Clowney one bit either as he was drafted #1 overall by the Texans. Maybe LF shoulda pulled a Clowney all year instead.

So where do you think Fournette would get drafted if he tore his ACL in the bowl game, which would be a worst case scenario? Remember, Todd Gurley was drafted 13th overall, and he couldn't even run at the time he got picked due to the same injury. I would think Fournette falls in that same category and may get picked even higher under the same circumstances as he is way more of a weapon than Gurley. Don't see him falling out of the 1st no matter what. So I think a lot of the perceived risk isn't what people think it is.

RocketDawg
12-16-2016, 06:44 PM
I agree with this '61... I've never liked the idea of preventing someone from earning a living...

Yeah, but if they did this Bama would never be able to field a team. They'd all go straight to the NFL. **

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 06:54 PM
So where do you think Fournette would get drafted if he tore his ACL in the bowl game, which would be a worst case scenario? Remember, Todd Gurley was drafted 13th overall, and he couldn't even run at the time he got picked due to the same injury. I would think Fournette falls in that same category and may get picked even higher under the same circumstances as he is way more of a weapon than Gurley. Don't see him falling out of the 1st no matter what. So I think a lot of the perceived risk isn't what people think it is.

Marcus Lattimore

TUSK
12-16-2016, 06:54 PM

5. press "from URL"
8. hit "OK"

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/dcb1b0bb9b348e2ecd54bc338b01ac3ecd068529/c=0-0-1342-1788&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/Montgomery/2014/07/17/-bama34.jpg20130929.jpg

https://cmgajcjeffschultz.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/sabannt.jpg

http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/college/img21817142.jpg

TUSK
12-16-2016, 06:55 PM
Yeah, but if they did this Bama would never be able to field a team. They'd all go straight to the NFL. **

who says they aren't "earning a living" in TitleTown*****?

RocketDawg
12-16-2016, 07:06 PM
who says they aren't "earning a living" in TitleTown*****?

Good point ....

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 07:22 PM
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/dcb1b0bb9b348e2ecd54bc338b01ac3ecd068529/c=0-0-1342-1788&r=537&c=0-0-534-712/local/-/media/Montgomery/2014/07/17/-bama34.jpg20130929.jpg

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/taxi-drive-clap.gif

msbulldog
12-16-2016, 07:26 PM
DAK would be a 4 letter word if he'd done this...

17 you tusk, mind your own yeller hammer business, I really don't know why you haven't been enforced.

RocketDawg
12-16-2016, 07:27 PM

I see Saban has a better dentist than The Beav ...

RocketDawg
12-16-2016, 07:30 PM
17 you tusk, mind your own yeller hammer business, I really don't know why you haven't been enforced.

Well, he's right.

Actually, Dak/Mullen did back down a little from what I saw. He passed a lot more, and ran less. That's safer from an injury standpoint best I can tell. Maybe that was just getting him more NFL ready ... if so, it worked for him and for us. Chris Jones seemed to tone it down a little too.

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 07:34 PM
Marcus Lattimore

Not quite the same situation, but point taken. Lattimore had a torn left ACL and a completely destroyed right knee the next year. Would be impossible for Fournette to do all that in one bowl game, and would be extremely unlikely for the latter of those two to happen period, given how infrequent an injury of that severity has happened over the course of recent history in college football. But even if it did, he still has the insurance policy. And Lattimore was still a 4th round pick, who also got to take advantage of the same type of policy.

msbulldog
12-16-2016, 07:35 PM
If he is actually hurt and not going to be 100%, then whatever his injury is must be pretty serious since their game isn't for 3 more weeks. In that case, I understand it. Still think the statement ought to say that, or that there ought to be no statement. It would be better for LSU to list him as questionable and not announce he isn't playing until gameday anyways. Why disclose that he isn't playing this early? Makes no sense.

But if he isn't hurt, or he has only slightly hurt to where he could be 100% in a few weeks, he should play. Just my two cents.

The probable reason a good statement or no statement is not coming from the LSU athletic dept., is that the AD and coach are not the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree.

FISHDAWG
12-16-2016, 07:41 PM
The guy is hurt. Won't be near 100% in time for bowl. He should sit.

and if he re-injured or aggravated said injury again he wouldn't be ready for Pro days or maybe even the combine ... sucks for the fanbase but they aren't the ones that stand to make millions

msbulldog
12-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Well, he's right.

Actually, Dak/Mullen did back down a little from what I saw. He passed a lot more, and ran less. That's safer from an injury standpoint best I can tell. Maybe that was just getting him more NFL ready ... if so, it worked for him and for us. Chris Jones seemed to tone it down a little too.

Rocket buddy, that obviously was what Dan was doing, preparing him, he did a damn good job.

RocketDawg
12-16-2016, 08:08 PM
Rocket buddy, that obviously was what Dan was doing, preparing him, he did a damn good job.

He did indeed. I'll just be glad when Dallas can compensate him for his performance.

TUSK
12-16-2016, 09:28 PM

Lighten up, buddy.... I'm not "that guy"...

I did like the "yeller hammer business" crack, tho!

peace.

DudyDawg
12-16-2016, 09:40 PM
Not quite the same situation, but point taken. Lattimore had a torn left ACL and a completely destroyed right knee the next year. Would be impossible for Fournette to do all that in one bowl game, and would be extremely unlikely for the latter of those two to happen period, given how infrequent an injury of that severity has happened over the course of recent history in college football. But even if it did, he still has the insurance policy. And Lattimore was still a 4th round pick, who also got to take advantage of the same type of policy.

Okay, say LF gets a horrible concussion, still gets drafted high and gets another one in week 3 and has to retire two years in because his brain is mush because of the downward spiral after the first one. Why risk your financial future for yourself and generations in your family on this meaningless game for free.

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 11:26 PM
Okay, say LF gets a horrible concussion, still gets drafted high and gets another one in week 3 and has to retire two years in because his brain is mush because of the downward spiral after the first one. Why risk your financial future for yourself and generations in your family on this meaningless game for free.

So where do you draw the line? Leonard Fournette may be a once in a generation talent (may or may not translate to the NFL in that magnitude), but guess what? EVERY draft eligible player thinks they are the next big thing and don't want to screw it up. LF will serve as a springboard to countless other NFL prospects forgoing bowl games due to risk of injury. It will kill the appeal of the bowls and who knows, may affect the outcome of the CFP if someone decides to jump from one of those teams. This isn't just about LF and his particular circumstance. It's about the precedent that it sets if he is truly just sitting out to protect himself and not because he is seriously injured.

Dawg61
12-16-2016, 11:40 PM
So where do you draw the line? Leonard Fournette may be a once in a generation talent (may or may not translate to the NFL in that magnitude), but guess what? EVERY draft eligible player thinks they are the next big thing and don't want to screw it up. LF will serve as a springboard to countless other NFL prospects forgoing bowl games due to risk of injury. It will kill the appeal of the bowls and who knows, may affect the outcome of the CFP if someone decides to jump from one of those teams. This isn't just about LF and his particular circumstance. It's about the precedent that it sets if he is truly just sitting out to protect himself and not because he is seriously injured.

Our pet's heads are not falling off

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 11:46 PM
Our pet's heads are not falling off

Haha....nice reference. But I am going to stay in the camp that thinks (and hopes) that he's injured enough that he needs to sit out and just leave it at that.