PDA

View Full Version : OL - top 8

justwin
12-16-2016, 10:23 AM
So, Hev likes to find his top 8 guys and ensure they're interchangeable. Perfect case is Jenkins sliding into LG when needed.

Here's what we have going into spring & fall:
Senior: Ranking @ LT
Juniors: Calhoun, Champion, Jenkins, Phillips
Soph: Moon, Williams, Story
RS FR: Reese, Parker, Eiland
FR: Suggs, Richardson, Gainier

Here's how I see the depth chart going into spring:
LT: Rankin, Jenkins, Eiland, Suggs (fall)
LG: Jenkins, Reese, Phillips
C: Calhoun, Williams, Moon
RG: Champion, Calhoun, Story, Reese, Gainer
RT: Dareun Parker, Champion, Eiland, Phillips, Richardson (fall)

In terms of top 8, Rankin/Jenkins/Calhoun for sure so who are the remaining 5? What say you?

Here's my order:
1. Parker - he can play any position and Steve said he was great in the MS/AL game. I think he's our starting RT next year.
2. Champion - if parker can play RT, I think we see Champion at RG & Calhoun @ C.
3. Reese - just seems like he's our 3rd swing OG
4. Williams - Unless he's perfect for C, I wonder how different he is from Calhoun. If he's a natural C, then you have Calhoun & Champion battling for RG.
5. Moon - big year for him. I just see him as a C or bust.
6. I just don't see Phillips nor Story playing much in 2017. Richardson has the size and good HS video, but I can't see him playing over Eiland at RT in 2017. Suggs & Gainer will RS. Phillips may RS to get into shape.
7. I have no clue about Eiland. He's 6'7" and hopefully used his RS wisely. He's the wildcard

So, I think the goal of the spring is to decide who are the top two Cs. Then, ample depth to complete the right side.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Why are you so down on Story?

Didn't he play this year & play pretty decent when out there?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 10:31 AM
I think Story, Champion, Reese, & probably Phillips are all ahead of Parker right now.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 10:33 AM
I'd go right now

LT - Rankin
LG - Champion
C - Calhoun
RG - Story/Reese
RT - Jenkins

lamont
12-16-2016, 10:34 AM
Serious consideration being given to moving Rankin to Center

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 10:35 AM

They will let him practice at it in case of emergency similar to how Justin Malone could do everything but he's going to play LT.

HoopsDawg
12-16-2016, 10:39 AM
A bunch of guards and not many tackles, smh

msstate7
12-16-2016, 10:39 AM

If that's true, it's great news imo... means our coaches feel pretty good about our tackles

HoopsDawg
12-16-2016, 10:40 AM

Not serious at all. Just Hev being Hev at practice.

HoopsDawg
12-16-2016, 10:42 AM
I'd go right now

LT - Rankin
LG - Champion
C - Calhoun
RG - Story/Reese
RT - Jenkins

I those are clearly our 6 best linemen. No idea who is no. 7.

msstate7
Not serious at all. Just Hev being Hev at practice.

Maybe to help rankin figure out the snap count (1/2 *)

lamont
No- it's 100% serious and the move is being considered for the Spring as permanent. No decision has been made yet

msstate7
12-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Is Daryl Williams' status the best held secret in our football program or what? I've asked about him in every oline thread and crickets

preachermatt83
12-16-2016, 10:45 AM
Expect Jenkins to play center.

HoopsCoach21
12-16-2016, 10:56 AM
I'd go right now

LT - Rankin
LG - Champion
C - Calhoun
RG - Story/Reese
RT - Jenkins

I wish we could leave Jenkins at guard. He seemed to really thrive there this year but I don't know of anyone I feel really comfortable with at RT besides him so that may be what we have to do.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 11:01 AM
No- it's 100% serious and the move is being considered for the Spring as permanent. No decision has been made yet

Do you think this would be dumb?

What is the reasoning for this & who plays LT if this happens?

As the article posted this morning mentions, how important are tackles in our offense when we can cause DEs problems through play action & zone reads? Isn't inside pressure a much larger problem?

Just trying to gain some knowledge here about what's important in our scheme with an ultra-mobile QB

lamont
12-16-2016, 11:27 AM
Nobody- and I mean NOBODY- wants Rankin to stay at LT and Jenkins to stay at LG more than I do. The last half of the season was the best we have looked on the left side of the OL since 2010

I believe in cohesion and comfortability. Those 2 guys started playing well together. Let's keep that where it is- and work to fix the rest

HoopsCoach21
12-16-2016, 11:32 AM
I agree with that Random

CadaverDawg
12-16-2016, 11:42 AM
Nobody- and I mean NOBODY- wants Rankin to stay at LT and Jenkins to stay at LG more than I do. The last half of the season was the best we have looked on the left side of the OL since 2010

I believe in cohesion and comfortability. Those 2 guys started playing well together. Let's keep that where it is- and work to fix the rest

I agree, so I fully expect it to be tinkered with

Leeshouldveflanked
12-16-2016, 11:43 AM
When in reality he is not..... NFL teams carry 8 OL, don't really develop players, etc... Maybe one of these days he will actually realize he is a college coach and do such task as recruit and develop OL....

msstate7
12-16-2016, 11:45 AM
I agree, so I fully expect it to be tinkered with

Tinkering is what led us to finding out how good Jenkins was at guard. Maybe tinkering isn't such a bad think more than 9 months from our season opener

CadaverDawg
12-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Tinkering is what led us to finding out how good Jenkins was at guard. Maybe tinkering isn't such a bad think more than 9 months from our season opener

It's also what made us suck the first half of the season. If he's tinkering NOW, and going ahead and making changes NOW...that's fine...but using the first 7 games of a season to eff around with our OL like a science experiment, is not a good thing.

In other words...I think we're basically on the same page

BrunswickDawg
12-16-2016, 11:49 AM

Agree totally. However, if they think Rankin can perform best at C (like at a Dillon Day or JC Brignone level performance) and the rest of the line gets better because of it then great. I do not like the idea of having a 1 year solution for center though. I'd rather someone who will be here longer step up and take it so Fitz has some consistency the next 2 years.

dawgday166
12-16-2016, 11:54 AM
It's also what made us suck the first half of the season. If he's tinkering NOW, and going ahead and making changes NOW...that's fine...but using the first 7 games of a season to eff around with our OL like a science experiment, is not a good thing.

In other words...I think we're basically on the same page

Bingo! Have it pretty set going into spring with a good plan on how to finalize it. Coming out of spring it needs to be close to a well-oiled machine.

I'm with RP that the last few games were about as good as the left side has looked since Dan's been here. God forbid that we should actually have a left side that doesn't allow our QB to get killed against Bama (or any team with a Myles Garrett type rusher).

GTHOM
12-16-2016, 12:34 PM
I think all of you know these guys will make or break our season, everything else is there for us to be a damn good team

Todd4State
12-16-2016, 01:45 PM

Amen. If Hevesy moves Rankin and Jenkins and it doesn't work I'm going to be pissed. Common sense would tell most people to keep the guys that are thriving in a spot to keep them there.

Todd4State
12-16-2016, 01:46 PM

I think that was more dumb luck because of injuries and thank God it worked more than tinkering.

justwin
12-20-2016, 01:27 AM
Why are you so down on Story?

Didn't he play this year & play pretty decent when out there?

seemed to be the 4th or 5th guard option this year and I don't think he overtakes Reese. So, after Reese at swing guard, would rather have an extra center vs another guard to go with swing tackle to get to 8.

justwin
12-20-2016, 01:28 AM
I think Story, Champion, Reese, & probably Phillips are all ahead of Parker right now.

oh wow. thanks for the update. Is Phillips being prepared for OT this spring?

justwin
12-20-2016, 01:29 AM
I'd go right now

LT - Rankin
LG - Champion
C - Calhoun
RG - Story/Reese
RT - Jenkins

If Champion is only a Guard, are we guard heavy? Who is battling for swing tackle?

justwin
12-20-2016, 01:31 AM

then who are the tackles? Well, besides Jenkins I suppose. Is Eiland forcing this? Must be kicking ass?

justwin
12-20-2016, 01:33 AM
Do you think this would be dumb?

What is the reasoning for this & who plays LT if this happens?

As the article posted this morning mentions, how important are tackles in our offense when we can cause DEs problems through play action & zone reads? Isn't inside pressure a much larger problem?

Just trying to gain some knowledge here about what's important in our scheme with an ultra-mobile QB

The only thing I can think of is Tyre Phillips is the biggest recruit steal ever as he's a plug & play tackle. Otherwise, you don't have enough bodies.

justwin
12-20-2016, 01:37 AM
Agree totally. However, if they think Rankin can perform best at C (like at a Dillon Day or JC Brignone level performance) and the rest of the line gets better because of it then great. I do not like the idea of having a 1 year solution for center though. I'd rather someone who will be here longer step up and take it so Fitz has some consistency the next 2 years.

Okay, so now besides Rankin, we also have Calhoun vying for Center. That's two. Where does Moon and Darryl Williams fit on the Center depth chart? Could Reese play Center...he's enormous?

justwin
12-20-2016, 01:39 AM
I think all of you know these guys will make or break our season, everything else is there for us to be a damn good team

It just feels like to me that we're missing an OT. So, we'll probably end up pretty decent on 4 of 5 spots spread over 8-9 upperclassmen. Then chip alot with all of those TEs. BTW, what's the word on Dontae Jones? haven't heard

smootness
12-20-2016, 08:30 AM
C is at least as important in our offense as LT. So if we believe in 2 other tackles and Rankin is clearly our best option at C, I's be ok with it.

Tripp McNeely
12-20-2016, 12:22 PM
oh wow. thanks for the update. Is Phillips being prepared for OT this spring?

In Phillips only day at practice, they worked him in at RT. He seems ideal for that t me, with his size if he can lose 15 lbs.

the59dawg
12-20-2016, 07:24 PM

Completely agree. Jenkins and Rankin did a great job in the back half of season. I have to give a lot of credit to Jenkins role there.