PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article on Fitz and Schematic Advantages of Our Offense

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Good read

https://twitter.com/sbn_billc/status/809757464333795328

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Only thing I disagree with in the article is the preference of a "scat back" in the scheme. Perhaps the reason we've used scar backs in the past like Holloway and Perk is because it looks good on paper in this offensive scheme, but something doesn't work in practice and the offense in reality works better with a power back or one cut guy that hits the hole quickly.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 09:12 AM
To be fair people conveniently forget Perk 1st year as a starter he rushed for 1000yds. His Sr year he was injured & tried to play through it but we held on too long. I somewhat understand though because JRob wasn't taken care of what he needed to & they didn't trust Milton that's why Shump didn't RS.

Spiderman
12-16-2016, 09:14 AM
Good read

https://twitter.com/sbn_billc/status/809757464333795328

What seprates Fitz is his speed. He was our only homerun threat most of the year.

MetEdDawg
12-16-2016, 09:17 AM
Only thing I disagree with in the article is the preference of a "scat back" in the scheme. Perhaps the reason we've used scar backs in the past like Holloway and Perk is because it looks good on paper in this offensive scheme, but something doesn't work in practice and the offense in reality works better with a power back or one cut guy that hits the hole quickly.

Our offense always works best when our RBs are able to be multiple. Guys like J Rob and Perk would pass block, run inside and outside, catch passes on the edge and over the middle out of the backfield, and occasionally line up out wide. That is extremely difficult to scheme for and it's the reason Dak hit so many RB wheels out of the backfield his junior and senior year. The problem with a scat back is that for the most part they don't do pass blocking and middle running very well, so you can scheme that better. If I saw Holloway in the backfield, I would blitz the hell out of the QB.

Aeris is a guy that can and has done it all, so you can't key or scheme for something. That's why he's effective and not getting touched at the line of scrimmage as much as Holloway did. The same run plays that Holloway would get zero or one yard on, Aeris would get 2 or 3 yards.

msstate7
12-16-2016, 09:19 AM
What seprates Fitz is his speed. He was our only homerun threat most of the year.

I think gray is a HR threat. He had lsu beat twice for a homerun, but fitz missed him both times. Pretty sure it was gray that had bama beat for td down sideline, but dropped the ball. I expect gray to put up huge numbers next season

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 09:21 AM
Need to send this article to recruits, specifically WR recruits. You'll be open

BB30
12-16-2016, 09:34 AM

Completely agree, although Holloway as much as I appreciate his work ethic and what he gave to the University, just didn't have the top end speed IMO to be extremely extremely effective. Lamichael James is the first guy that comes to mind and I know he is not really a scat back anymore. But, in college he was not as heavy as he is now. If Holloway had ran a 4.4 he would have been much more effective IMO. Perkins was very good for us when he he had a compliment and a dual threat at QB. I may be wrong but I think his sr year was with Tyler at QB so the defense didn't have to key on Russell as a run threat.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Completely agree, although Holloway as much as I appreciate his work ethic and what he gave to the University, just didn't have the top end speed IMO to be extremely extremely effective. Lamichael James is the first guy that comes to mind and I know he is not really a scat back anymore. But, in college he was not as heavy as he is now. If Holloway had ran a 4.4 he would have been much more effective IMO. Perkins was very good for us when he he had a compliment and a dual threat at QB. I may be wrong but I think his sr year was with Tyler at QB so the defense didn't have to key on Russell as a run threat.

Our scat back now is Mixon. He's perfect because he's got true top end speed & he's strong enough to break arm tackles.

After reading this article, I wouldn't be shocked to see him worked more into the running game next year. Many people, me included have said that Dear is the guy who needs to be at running back, but I'm changing my stance on that. Dear doesn't really bring an element that Williams, Gibson, & Hill won't bring, but Mixon does. My guess is that we use Mixon a ton next year to stretch a defense horizontally & then punch Fitz & Co up the middle

Todd4State
12-16-2016, 10:08 AM
I think gray is a HR threat. He had lsu beat twice for a homerun, but fitz missed him both times. Pretty sure it was gray that had bama beat for td down sideline, but dropped the ball. I expect gray to put up huge numbers next season

It's hard to throw it to a guy you can't see. That's where his size is an issue. Unless it's like Arkanasas where they had a corner roughly the same size as Gray.

thf24
12-16-2016, 10:10 AM

That was my issue with the article. It describes him as a "lumbering" power runner in the Tebow mold, and while he's got a little of that, his primary strengths are his quickness and speed. Really sold him short I thought. They also used a horrible set of example plays. Pretty lazy not to take a little more time to find a clip for the first one that shows what they wanted to show where he actually completes the pass.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 10:20 AM
It's hard to throw it to a guy you can't see. That's where his size is an issue. Unless it's like Arkanasas where they had a corner roughly the same size as Gray.

He was pretty easy to see considering he was 5yds past the defender.