PDA

View Full Version : The Good Ol Boys keeping State in their place....

lamont
12-15-2016, 08:39 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/ElitedawgPoster/status/809571553327349760

Guy is rated a 90 on Tuesday- signs with State- drops to an 88.
OM signs a no-name juco LB with 1 offer that nobody wants- immediately bumped to an 88

This is how the perception has been manipulated and steered in the SEC for the last 70 years. Yet another example. Guy signs his name with State- automatically loses 2 recruiting points. It's steering the perception- can't let other recruits get too damn excited about State- they might snag a couple more and gain real momentum.

Examples like this is why us older Dawgs realize we aren't ever going to win the SEC. We will always have recruit's numbers drop, have the NCAA blow us up when we get rolling, or get Dick Paced at a game defining moment. It's a rigged system

Really Clark?
12-15-2016, 08:43 PM
The drop came from Rivals, which screwed up the 247 composite. They don't even have any one in the state any more but right after he signed they gave him a 3 star rating.

Bucky Dog
12-15-2016, 08:43 PM

OM signs a no-name juco LB with 1 offer that nobody wants- immediately bumped to an 88

This is how the perception has been manipulated and steered in the SEC for the last 70 years. Yet another example. Guy signs his name with State- automatically loses 2 recruiting points. It's steering the perception- can't let other recruits get too damn excited about State- they might snag a couple more and gain real momentum.

Examples like this is why us older Dawgs realize we aren't ever going to win the SEC. We will always have recruit's numbers drop, have the NCAA blow us up when we get rolling, or get Dick Paced at a game defining moment. It's a rigged system

Surprised Key hasn't been given his fifth star******

bulldawg28
12-15-2016, 08:44 PM
Which is all the more reason our fans should stop bitching about player ratings and player rankings.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-15-2016, 09:41 PM
The drop came from Rivals, which screwed up the 247 composite. They don't even have any one in the state any more but right after he signed they gave him a 3 star rating.

Why don't 247 just do away with showing the composite. Rivals is a joke

Corn Bread
12-15-2016, 10:13 PM

F or 17***** those Shit Birds!

SDDawg
12-15-2016, 10:13 PM

Weak ass excuses if you ask me...

DogsofAnarchy
12-15-2016, 10:14 PM
I agree that this is done on purpose but the simple fact is that all we have to do is win. Play with a chip on our shoulder because of shit just like this and let the winning do the talking. Win enough and they will eventually shut up. It's that simple.

MetEdDawg
12-15-2016, 10:19 PM
I disagree that we do nothing. We need to do something. Recruiting is powerful, but the perception recruiting creates is even more powerful. Outside of one really good class, OM has really had no special class. But the perception of them being good recruiters still hangs around.

We need to bitch, moan, and complain to Rivals. If this happens by a couple points on every recruit, it's a massive deal. Rivals is always dragging us down and their manipulation keeps our perception lower than it could be.

RougeDawg
12-15-2016, 10:29 PM
I disagree that we do nothing. We need to do something. Recruiting is powerful, but the perception recruiting creates is even more powerful. Outside of one really good class, OM has really had no special class. But the perception of them being good recruiters still hangs around.

We need to bitch, moan, and complain to Rivals. If this happens by a couple points on every recruit, it's a massive deal. Rivals is always dragging us down and their manipulation keeps our perception lower than it could be.

This all day. As pathetic as it sounds, the majority of the national media types rely the most on recruiting rankings when forming their opinions and speaking about teams. Recruiting rankings can also impact a recruit who is on the fence. If you recall, the Bearsharts gained momentum in 2013 and got some guysbon the fence because they wanted to be apart of "that signing class".

Sure, f*ck those guys but we need all the help we can get.

Bodaski
12-15-2016, 11:14 PM

I would ay this at the feet of Neal McCready. he is about the only rivals board active in MS I think.

Really Clark?
12-15-2016, 11:19 PM
I would ay this at the feet of Neal McCready. he is about the only rivals board active in MS I think.

Yep. That's exactly it I believe.

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-16-2016, 12:22 AM
You speak of perception....let me give you an example of how perception is used in recruiting. Coach O started all the perception crap that OM loves so much when he was there. If you remember when he was there, OM would always have several highly ranked guys "commit" to them early in the process. But rarely did they ever sign any of these early commits. Why? Because they were never going to OM in the first place. Coach O knew this, but he used it for a few months during the summer and fall to dangle in front of other recruits that he knew he could get. Look at this highly rated RB...come block for him. Look at this highly rated QB we have....come catch passes from him. Etc, etc. They were creating false perception that they were tearing it up in recruiting to get everybody talking about them. You may ask....why would these recruits do this knowing they weren't going to end up at OM in the end?

My boy...haven't you been paying attention to what has been going on? The NCAA just didn't show up soon enough to look into this part of their past. If they had, they would have found several 4 and 5 stars from that time period with some extra change in their pockets, going jing a ling a ling.

Pollodawg
12-16-2016, 12:34 AM
Of course they are keeping State in "our place." Could you imagine what would happen to their fragile, little sense of self if they thought for a minute that we were GASP!!! as good or better than they are. Enjoy having no bowl to watch, douche faces.

Reason2succeed
12-16-2016, 01:02 AM
We still haven't publicly reprimanded the Clarion Ledger for their egregious offenses towards us in baseball last year. Maybe Cohen being a baseball skipper will get in someone's face like they are a blind umpire in the 8th inning.

DancingRabbit
12-16-2016, 01:02 AM
Straight 247 has us ranked 13th. Composite has us 19th.

It's strange about the 247 Composite listing us with three 4-stars.

247 - Five 4-stars
Rivals - Five 4-stars
Scout - Five 4-stars
ESPN - Seven 4-stars

I guess it's some weird issue with the composite calculation.

We should be reminded that rankings are somewhat subjective. And, Dan is better at evaluating talent within the team concept than the recruiting services.

Dan was on Memphis radio today and they were bragging on our current ranking. Dan basically said "we are doing OK, but I don't follow recruiting rankings."

Outside losing some guys to Bama and cheating Ole Miss, Dan has been doing OK.

defiantdog
12-16-2016, 02:01 AM
I've never understood the ranking system. its the most subjective crap I've ever seen. Now, step into a university's recruiting room if you want real rankings.

dawgs
12-16-2016, 02:46 AM
I've never understood the ranking system. its the most subjective crap I've ever seen. Now, step into a university's recruiting room if you want real rankings.

Well it's not a coincidence that teams consistently in the top 10 and competing for playoff spots tend to consistently recruit well according to the recruiting rankings. Nor is it a coincidence that a much higher rate of 5* get drafted than 4* and a higher rate of 4* than 3* and so on. Sure it's subjective to an extent, but there is some analysis there (or at least beating the bushes to know what COMMITTABLE offers a guy has) to determine a rough rankings.

No am I gonna get pissed over the coaches preferring the #12 CB to the #10 CB? No. The problem arises when we have a class ranked outside the top 30 or so. Once you get down that low, the likelihood of finding enough diamonds in the rough to compete nationally is really really slim.

So yeah, recruiting rankings aren't perfect, but they do tend to be right when you look at it on a macro level.

smootness
12-16-2016, 07:31 AM
Well, if this isn't the world's biggest 'poor ol' State' circle jerk...

Jack Lambert
12-16-2016, 08:43 AM
I hate rivals but both they and Scouts have us with five 4 Stars recruits and 247 only has us with three.

smootness
12-16-2016, 08:51 AM
I hate rivals but both they and Scouts have us with five 4 Stars recruits and 247 only has us with three.

That's the composite. 247 itself has us with 5.

smootness
12-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Straight 247 has us ranked 13th. Composite has us 19th.

It's strange about the 247 Composite listing us with three 4-stars.

247 - Five 4-stars
Rivals - Five 4-stars
Scout - Five 4-stars
ESPN - Seven 4-stars

I guess it's some weird issue with the composite calculation.

It's not an issue with the composite calculation. It's just a result of the fact that the guys ranked 4 stars are different on each site, and it takes into account where the player is ranked, not just how many stars he has. For example, Abram is a 4-star on 2 sites and a 3-star on 2 sites. But he's ranked further away from the 4-star line on the 2 3-star rankings than he is on the 2 4-star rankings. So in the composite ranking, he's a 3-star.

BB30
12-16-2016, 10:03 AM
Well it's not a coincidence that teams consistently in the top 10 and competing for playoff spots tend to consistently recruit well according to the recruiting rankings. Nor is it a coincidence that a much higher rate of 5* get drafted than 4* and a higher rate of 4* than 3* and so on. Sure it's subjective to an extent, but there is some analysis there (or at least beating the bushes to know what COMMITTABLE offers a guy has) to determine a rough rankings.

No am I gonna get pissed over the coaches preferring the #12 CB to the #10 CB? No. The problem arises when we have a class ranked outside the top 30 or so. Once you get down that low, the likelihood of finding enough diamonds in the rough to compete nationally is really really slim.

So yeah, recruiting rankings aren't perfect, but they do tend to be right when you look at it on a macro level.

What came first the chicken or the egg? Flip that around and you have your answer...If you get offered by bama everyone assumes you are extremely talented so lets throw him an extra star. For the most part all top college coaches know who the studs in a class are and if they have a chance to land them regardless of how many stars they have. Then you have the guys (a lot of the guys we land) that have a lot of upside but are extremely raw. Regardless, we will never sign a ton of ready made elite players but if we can snag a couple here and there and turn out some solid pieces around them we will be alright.

DancingRabbit
12-16-2016, 10:25 AM

That's the 247 Composite that has us with only three 4-stars.

The straight 247 ranking has us with five 4-stars, and ranked 13th in the country, as seen here.
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/TeamRankings

lamont
12-16-2016, 10:32 AM
Exactly- it's things like this that will never allow State to get a top 10 recruiting class. Devaluing our guys simply because they signed with us. You get other recruits on board when they see huge momentum and high rankings building. Cutting a signee of ours by 2 points helps stem that momentum

lastmajordog
12-16-2016, 10:49 AM
"or get Dick Paced at a game defining moment. It's a rigged system?

I put that loss on Ballard. Game should have NEVER been in doubt. Just remember when the DOGS were #1 no one was concerned about stars.....just win.

Liverpooldawg
12-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Poor Old State.

gravedigger
12-16-2016, 01:28 PM

So im a bit confused. How does a players rating affect the way he plays? You seem to be suggesting that its the level of player that drives the investigation and not the overt action of inducing them.

Just thinking out loud here but is it possible the rating system is driven by entities that arent qualified to rate players? I mean robertson and porter are popular and all, but what empiracle evidence out there suggests they do anything more than follow the offers?

Jack Lambert
12-16-2016, 02:29 PM
That's the 247 Composite that has us with only three 4-stars.

The straight 247 ranking has us with five 4-stars, and ranked 13th in the country, as seen here.
http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/TeamRankings

Damn Auburn is hanging close to bama.

smootness
12-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Exactly- it's things like this that will never allow State to get a top 10 recruiting class. Devaluing our guys simply because they signed with us. You get other recruits on board when they see huge momentum and high rankings building. Cutting a signee of ours by 2 points helps stem that momentum

This is not some conspiracy, and he didn't drop because he signed with us. He dropped in the composite, which is just a mathematical average of the site rankings. The only reason he dropped is actually because Rivals got around to ranking him. They certainly spent no time in doing it, and their ranking is probably bad, but that's why the composite ranking dropped. They didn't 'cut a signee of ours by 2 points'. It doesn't work that way.

jumbo
12-16-2016, 02:38 PM
This is not some conspiracy, and he didn't drop because he signed with us. He dropped in the composite, which is just a mathematical average of the site rankings. The only reason he dropped is actually because Rivals got around to ranking him. They certainly spent no time in doing it, and their ranking is probably bad, but that's why the composite ranking dropped. They didn't 'cut a signee of ours by 2 points'. It doesn't work that way.

Shhhh. Don't get in the way of their narrative with facts!

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 02:46 PM

Tin foil hats abound in this thread. I don't know whats more ridiculous, the belief that there is a conspiracy to keep our recruiting ranking down or the belief that a kid retroactively losing a star will cause other kids not to sign with us.

If only we could have hired Willie Taggart. There is no way the recruiting services would have challenged his impeccable knowledge and eye for talent***

BB30
12-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Tin foil hats abound in this thread. I don't know whats more ridiculous, the belief that there is a conspiracy to keep our recruiting ranking down or the belief that a kid retroactively losing a star will cause other kids not to sign with us.

If only we could have hired Willie Taggart. There is no way the recruiting services would have challenged his impeccable knowledge and eye for talent***

Exactly, the idea that stars and rankings are what makes a player go somewhere is dumb. Kids go somewhere for a couple of reasons.

1. They feel said school is best path to the NFL
2. They like the coaches and current players they have met
3. They feel they are elite and want to play with the best( this is not decided by stars, most of the national top recruits have all met each other at all star games, workouts etc.)
4. They are getting paid boat loads of cash, given vehicles, have their electric bills paid for, have family members put up in hotels, given houses and jobs. Had grades fixed by said school etc.