PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Guidry "re-offered" by LSU.

Lance Harbor
12-15-2016, 02:25 PM
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/lsu-football-recruiting/lsu-re-offers-former-wr-commit-stephen-guidry/67649645/

Ifyouonlyknew
12-15-2016, 02:27 PM
I know that's what he posted but it's not like they withdrew his offer when he de-committed.

ShotgunDawg
12-15-2016, 02:29 PM
Really need to get this guy. He's as important on the offensive side as some of the guys were yesterday on the defensive side.

Really need his height & speed on the outside

Dallas_Dawg
12-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Who is his game comparable to? I know he has size but how much speed? Faster than Bear?

thf24
12-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Who is his game comparable to? I know he has size but how much speed? Faster than Bear?

Faster than Bear is saying very little when it comes to the skill positions.

fishwater99
12-15-2016, 02:46 PM
I know that's what he posted but it's not like they withdrew his offer when he de-committed.

Anyone know when he will sign?

defiantdog
12-15-2016, 02:47 PM
Matt Canada is probably just calling every offensive player they've offered a scholarship too.

Ari Gold
12-15-2016, 02:55 PM
They never dropped him... that's an Umiss move there.. the "re offer , flip"

ShotgunDawg
12-15-2016, 03:03 PM

Similar to ex-MSU receiver Tony Burks. Long, lean athletic guy that runs a sub-4.5

Would probably be the best deep threat that Mullen has had since he's been at MSU.

defiantdog
12-15-2016, 03:21 PM
Similar to ex-MSU receiver Tony Burks. Long, lean athletic guy that runs a sub-4.5

Would probably be the best deep threat that Mullen has had since he's been at MSU.
I don't think he's sub 4.5..... he's more of a physical receiver than he is fast.

They never dropped him... that's an Umiss move there.. the "re offer , flip"
It would be a dumb move on Guidry's part to re-commit. Dupre may come back..... then LSU has a slew of tall, young receivers..... Sullivan, Davis, and Anderson. He'd get lost in the shuffle there. Then they also of Netherly coming in, whose played every position on the damn field.

ShotgunDawg
12-15-2016, 03:23 PM
I don't think he's sub 4.5..... he's more of a physical receiver than he is fast.

I've heard differently. He's lean & long. Built like Randy Moss

Ifyouonlyknew
12-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Oh he's definitely fast. He's sub 4.5.

Bothrops
12-15-2016, 04:48 PM
When does he announce?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Around Christmas I think

lastmajordog
12-15-2016, 05:16 PM
BEAR may not have been a burner but man oh man I LOVED watching him level secondary guys in front of a break away run.

lamont
12-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Guidry is a must-get- he makes the WR group better. Then that leaves the final piece- our boy Hev left to fix the OL losses.

msbulldog
12-15-2016, 07:02 PM
Oh he's definitely fast. He's sub 4.5.

Glad to see you got your seat cooled Dan!

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-15-2016, 07:55 PM
Did we bypass Martin thinking we would get Guidry? I hope not because we now have a chance of not getting either.

Really Clark?
12-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Did we bypass Martin thinking we would get Guidry? I hope not because we now have a chance of not getting either.

We would have took Martin. He just favored Arkansas but we were close.

preachermatt83
12-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Recruits read this page so I am not gonna say much other than this... I have watched the kid play a lot of downs, and he does have some upside but he has some serious drawbacks as well.

GTHOM
12-16-2016, 12:26 PM
He announces tonight at 7 between us LSU and ASU

maroonmania
12-16-2016, 12:33 PM
Recruits read this page so I am not gonna say much other than this... I have watched the kid play a lot of downs, and he does have some upside but he has some serious drawbacks as well.

Looks like you won't have to worry about the drawbacks. All signs point to LSU.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 12:36 PM
He announces tonight at 7 between us LSU and ASU

It's MSU LSU & ASU but most expect it to be LSU

Big4Dawg
12-16-2016, 12:38 PM
How could you want to go there when you don't know who is going to get you the ball in the next 2 years

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 12:38 PM
It's MSU LSU & ASU but most expect it to be LSU

Unreal. We just can't buy a break with WRs. Just awful

The opportunity for a big time WR is unreal right now at MSU, but kids would rather go play with Danny Etling.

Terrible loss here that can't be understated. Perhaps it will all turn out ok in the end, but this is bad break.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 12:39 PM
How could you want to go there when you don't know who is going to get you the ball in the next 2 years

Agree. MSU just can't attract the WRs no matter how perfect the situation is for them.

I get he's a Louisiana kid & LSU will be good, but he had an unreal opportunity at MSU. Good gosh this is a blow

GTHOM
12-16-2016, 12:43 PM
Unreal. We just can't buy a break with WRs. Just awful

The opportunity for a big time WR is unreal right now at MSU, but kids would rather go play with Danny Etling.

Terrible loss here that can't be understated. Perhaps it will all turn out ok in the end, but this is bad break.

Haha I love you Gun but sometimes man you let this get to you. We have WRs. Plenty of them that can play. Sure Guidry would be a great pickup but we have proven playmakers. They are definitely good enough to beat teams that are gonna try to take away our running game. Its gonna be okay bro

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 12:46 PM
Haha I love you Gun but sometimes man you let this get to you. We have WRs. Plenty of them that can play. Sure Guidry would be a great pickup but we have proven playmakers. They are definitely good enough to beat teams that are gonna try to take away our running game. Its gonna be okay bro

This is a ridiculous post.

We don't have anyone over 6'0" that can stretch the field. Keep wearing the maroon glasses. This is a bad loss

I was fine losing Ravian Pierce even though I wanted him, but we HAD to have this guy. He may stink & be no good, but on paper this was a real need. No way around it

GTHOM
12-16-2016, 12:48 PM

We don't have anyone over 6'0" that can stretch the field. Keep wearing the maroon glasses. This is a bad loss

Yea Jamal Couch, Reggie Todd, Osirus Mitchell they all suck. Donald Gray sucks, Mixon sucks, Malik Dear sucks, Thomas sucks, our huge ass TEs suck. Hope we can run the ball for 10 yards a pop

Jarius
12-16-2016, 12:51 PM
We signed 3 big bodied guys last year. One played as a true freshman and the other 2 redshirted. We need one to step up in a big way next year. If not, it's gonna be a 2010 type WR group. They were ok, but could have been much better with a deep threat. Hopefully we will have a guy or 2 develop.

GTHOM
12-16-2016, 12:54 PM
We signed 3 big bodied guys last year. One played as a true freshman and the other 2 redshirted. We need one to step up in a big way next year. If not, it's gonna be a 2010 type WR group. They were ok, but could have been much better with a deep threat. Hopefully we will have a guy or 2 develop.

In 2010 they had Chris Relf throwing them the ball. And they were still good enough to make us one of the better teams in the SEC. Next year they will have one of the best QBs in the SEC throwing them the ball. Our WRs are plenty good enough to hurt you if you wanna take away our run game

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Yea Jamal Couch, Reggie Todd, Osirus Mitchell they all suck.

I must have missed seeing these guys do anything on the field.

They may be great, but you have no clue how good they are. Missing on Guidry is a huge loss.

Going into recruiting, we needed: A big JUCO WR, A JUCO RT, A JUCU Safety, & a JUCO CB.

We've gotten a ton of great pieces, but we've missed on some of the biggest needs

BB30
12-16-2016, 12:57 PM

They may be great, but you have no clue how good they are. Missing on Guidry is a huge loss.

Going into recruiting, we needed: A big JUCO WR, A JUCO RT, A JUCU Safety, & a JUCO CB.

We've gotten a ton of great pieces, but we've missed on some of the biggest needs

Missed seeing guidry compete in the sec last year as well.

Jarius
12-16-2016, 12:58 PM

You haven't seen Guidry play on the field that wasn't against juco competition either have you? What's the difference? They are all decently rated WR prospects that have not proven anything at this level. We will see how it shakes out.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 12:59 PM
Missed seeing guidry compete in the sec last year as well.

True, & that's why he could stink, but getting an JUCO X WR was a huge need. Huge.

We failed. Our coaches failed & there's no way around it. Missed on Martin & Guidry & only needed one.

GTHOM
12-16-2016, 12:59 PM

Couch had several catches. We got 2 juco OL, 2 JUCO S, and our best corner was also redshirted last year. We are going to be okay.

WR is the last of my concerns, if we can block we will be lethal on offense.

If we can find some depth on the DL, tackle and know how to line up on defense we will be good. The talent is there

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 01:00 PM
You haven't seen Guidry play on the field that wasn't against juco competition either have you? What's the difference? They are all decently rated WR prospects that have not proven anything at this level. We will see how it shakes out.

Doesn't change the fact that we just missed on one of our biggest needs in JUCO recruiting.

Hard to win big if your always coming in 2nd place for needs

I seen it dawg
Guidry to LSU. Done deal move on.

Jarius
In 2010 they had Chris Relf throwing them the ball. And they were still good enough to make us one of the better teams in the SEC. Next year they will have one of the best QBs in the SEC throwing them the ball. Our WRs are plenty good enough to hurt you if you wanna take away our run game

I agree that the situation is a little bit better next year with the qb. Hopefully the oline can find a few guys and be as good as that group was (or better). That will be the biggest thing that determines how our offense plays next year, not some juco WR that may or may not be worth a shit.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Couch had several catches. We got 2 juco OL, 2 JUCO S, and our best corner was also redshirted last year. We are going to be okay.

WR is the last of my concerns, if we can block we will be lethal on offense.

If we can find some depth on the DL, tackle and know how to line up on defense we will be good. The talent is there

We aren't blocking or running the ball against LSU, Alabama, or likely Auburn. You better have long receivers that can stretch the field if your going to beat them

How many points did we score last year against those teams?

GTHOM
12-16-2016, 01:02 PM
True, & that's why he could stink, but getting an JUCO X WR was a huge need. Huge.

We failed. Our coaches failed & there's no way around it. Missed on Martin & Guidry & only needed one.

2 days ago you were singing our coaches praises and know it changes over 1 kid?? Like I said you are overreacting my friend. We are going to be okay with or without Guidry or Martin at WR

HSVDawg

I was fine losing Ravian Pierce even though I wanted him, but we HAD to have this guy. He may stink & be no good, but on paper this was a real need. No way around it

It's a bad loss, but we aren't ever going to flip Louisiana kids from LSU if they want them. Just isn't ever going to happen. And regardless of how you view it with him decommitting or whatever, a flip is exactly what this situation would be because LSU wanted him early, got a commitment from him early, and stayed after him even after the decommitment. Not even remotely similar situation to Dak or Key.

If we want to win recruiting battles with LSU for top tier talent in Louisiana, the only way we can do it is to identify and offer those kids early before they blow up, and stay on them hard when Mama starts calling. And even in those situations, we aren't going to bat 1.000. That same rule applies to every other SEC school not named Alabama as well.

Jarius
Doesn't change the fact that we just missed on one of our biggest needs in JUCO recruiting.

Hard to win big if your always coming in 2nd place for needs

We aren't always coming in 2nd place for needs. We came in second for needs in 1 position group this week out of all of our targets. We had one of the best days in Mullen's tenure Wednesday in recruiting by getting a bunch of needs. We did want Guidry, but the sky isn't falling. We have some people that have just as much potential as he does on the roster.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 01:05 PM

Just a thought but maybe recruiting isn't for you. I'm not saying this in a joking or laughing manner. Your emotional roller coaster with recruiting is odd & unhealthy. Maybe you need to unplug from recruiting for a while.

Really Clark?
Hey Rouge, how is that collection coming for Shotgun? He may need it tonight. Lol

ShotgunDawg
2 days ago you were singing our coaches praises and know it changes over 1 kid?? Like I said you are overreacting my friend. We are going to be okay with or without Guidry or Martin at WR

The overall JUCO class is good & filled some needs, but this is huge loss. Sure we may be fine, but we have a much better chance of being fine with Guidry than without.

We'll move on, but stop trying to talk yourself into us not needing this kid

GTHOM
12-16-2016, 01:06 PM
We aren't blocking or running the ball against LSU, Alabama, or likely Auburn. You better have long receivers that can stretch the field if your going to beat them

How many points did we score last year against those teams?

We have to be able to run the ball some or we arent beating Bama anyway. LSU and Auburn are beatable for us they were this past year. You arent beating those teams going in saying well shit we cant run it so chunk it up to our fast WR and get our QB killed. Like I said, We will make our money on the ground, if they wanna take that away our WRs and TEs are plenty good enough to make them respect them. Guidry would have been great but it looks like he aint coming. If we can block we will be good

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Just a thought but maybe recruiting isn't for you. I'm not saying this in a joking or laughing manner. Your emotional roller coaster with recruiting is odd & unhealthy. Maybe you need to unplug from recruiting for a while.

Do you make it a habit of providing unsolicited advice to people you don't know or have any idea what their emotional state is?

Really odd post & a boarderline personal attack. Be better than this.

But since you asked, I'm good. Just stating why we really needed this guy

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 01:19 PM
Do you make it a habit of providing unsolicited advice to people you don't know or have any idea what their emotional state is?

Really odd post & a boarderline personal attack. Be better than this.

But since you asked, I'm good. Just stating why we really needed this guy

Honestly if you thought it was a personal attack I apologize. I meant it with all sincerity. You're right I don't know you at all but your emotional swings on something like recruiting is just odd. Sorry I asked or said anything. Continue with your melt my bad.

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 01:20 PM
The overall JUCO class is good & filled some needs, but this is huge loss. Sure we may be fine, but we have a much better chance of being fine with Guidry than without.

We'll move on, but stop trying to talk yourself into us not needing this kid

Of course we needed him. We lose out on kids we need every year. But on the spectrum of acceptable vs. unacceptable recruiting losses for our coaching staff, a wide receiver who grew up 20 minutes from Baton Rouge who had an early LSU offer isn't even on the radar of an unacceptable or unsurprising loss. Sometimes, your only hope is that the other school doesn't want him as bad as you do. That was the situation here, but unfortunately LSU did want him too. Can't fault our coaching staff or program for it, and constant bitching and moaning doesn't help in any way.

msstate7
12-16-2016, 01:23 PM
Hey shotgun... we got Thompson and lsu got Guidry. I think we won a pretty big battle with them even if they did come on strong at the end

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Honestly if you thought it was a personal attack I apologize. I meant it with all sincerity. You're right I don't know you at all but your emotional swings on something like recruiting is just odd. Sorry I asked or said anything. Continue with your melt my bad.

That's the thing, I'm not melting at all. Yes I care about our program & wish others cared as much as I. I think we'd be better with a higher care quotient. I'm actually extremely objective when it comes to players, but refuse to accept the status quo of college football.

I know your disappointed about this as well, but don't take it out on other people. There are very few things that make me more frustrated than MSU people accepting the status quo & justifying losing. Perhaps that is unhealthy, but I'm ok with that. I want to win

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 01:27 PM
Hey shotgun... we got Thompson and lsu got Guidry. I think we won a pretty big battle with them even if they did come on strong at the end

This is absolutely true.

Would take 1 Thompson over 5 Guidrys

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 01:31 PM
That's the thing, I'm not melting at all. Yes I care about our program & wish others cared as much as I. I think we'd be better with a higher care quotient. I'm actually extremely objective when it comes to players, but refuse to accept the status quo of college football.

I know your disappointed about this as well, but don't take it out on other people. There are very few things that make me more frustrated than MSU people accepting the status quo & justifying losing. Perhaps that is unhealthy, but I'm ok with that. I want to win

I think this is the part you're missing just because everyone doesn't come on a msg board & wallow in the fact we lost a kid that doesn't mean we care any less than you. I can guarantee you don't care more than me. Equally maybe more naw. Most people I've seen aren't justifying or making excuses we're giving facts on the situation. He's a kid who grew up less than an hour from Baton Rouge, was committed to them once before only de-committing because the coach got fired, & they have a reputation for putting WR in the league. Those aren't excuses those are facts of the situation. Doesn't make us care less, or accept mediocrity, or not want to win. This is America where you have the freedom to say what you want but don't assume you care more because you rant more that's just not accurate.

msstate7
12-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Ifyouonlyknew, you working on getting back in the red haha

Bothrops
12-16-2016, 01:40 PM
It is a big miss. It might even be a huge miss, as it was a position of great need, and we don't know how good Guidry is going to be. We will need Couch to grow his game tremendously in the off season, and hope there's a surprise with somebody else. I don't expect us to find a replacement for Guidry this late. That's what sucks the most.

TStationDawg
12-16-2016, 01:51 PM
lol at this thread. I love how far we've come as a program. Sly used to define "explosive" plays as 20+ yards. We had VERY, VERY few during the season. Dan defines them as 12+ yards and we have quite a few per GAME! Heck, Fitz avg 18 ypr in the EB. Dan knows offense. I'm more pumped at all the gets on D vs losing this kid on O. No mistake, would've loved to have him, but our D is where we can't have misses, bc until Sirmon proves otherwise, it's up to the jimmys and the joes, not the x's and o's on D.

Bothrops
12-16-2016, 01:59 PM
lol at this thread. I love how far we've come as a program. Sly used to define "explosive" plays as 20+ yards. We had VERY, VERY few during the season. Dan defines them as 12+ yards and we have quite a few per GAME! Heck, Fitz avg 18 ypr in the EB. Dan knows offense. I'm more pumped at all the gets on D vs losing this kid on O. No mistake, would've loved to have him, but our D is where we can't have misses, bc until Sirmon proves otherwise, it's up to the jimmys and the joes, not the x's and o's on D.

I don't think you realize how much we missed De'Runnya Wilson this year. The difference was 2 less wins.

TStationDawg
12-16-2016, 02:04 PM
I don't think you realize how much we missed De'Runnya Wilson this year. The difference was 2 less wins.

I don't? I realize how much we missed a kicker this year. I realize how much we missed a lock down CB and S depth this year. That's worth MORE than 2 wins. I'm not saying its (Big WR) not important, I'm saying if I were to choose what side the misses come on, I'd choose offense, bc of Dan finding a way to move the ball. Our O didn't suck this year (sans USA). Our D however, was freaking atrocious. You can't honestly say otherwise.

Jarius
12-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Xanex.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 02:08 PM
I'll just go ahead & say it Reggie Todd will take over some of this burden being the big deep threat.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-16-2016, 02:10 PM
I'll just go ahead & say it Reggie Todd will take over some of this burden being the big deep threat.

Has he put on any weight and gotten stronger?

Irondawg
12-16-2016, 02:10 PM
It really helps to have big WR that can just up and make plays. Bear really helped us by catching a ton of jump balls. It was a staple of the OM offense against Bama, etc. Throw it up and let them go get it. We didn't have that as much this year and it hurt (as did the blocking on the outside).

We've got 3 of them right now but no idea how good they are. No clue how good guidry would be either and him getting out in May would hurt his ability to impact much next year. But he would have been another body and was faster that Couch.

Now we'll see if we can find another WR somewhere.

defiantdog
12-16-2016, 02:26 PM
I'm surprised Guidry is announcing before Dupre declares

dawgday166
12-16-2016, 02:42 PM
To beat Bama you need the type of receiver(s) being described here. But then against them you need virtually zero weak areas.
Against everyone else ... we're probably ok IF we can block.

Jarius
12-16-2016, 02:47 PM
To beat Bama you need an exceptional mobile quarterback that can make a whole bunch out of nothing. There aren't many people that have beaten Saban at all at bama, but most that have done it have that characteristic.

dawgday166
12-16-2016, 02:56 PM
To beat Bama you need an exceptional mobile quarterback that can make a whole bunch out of nothing. There aren't many people that have beaten Saban at all at bama, but most that have done it have that characteristic.

True. We have that don't we? It helps if CBs are 30-40 yds down field when things break down too.

smootness
12-16-2016, 02:57 PM
It's definitely a loss, and I wanted Guidry, but go look back at the track record of JUCO WRs, especially in year one. It ain't great.

We'll be ok.

Jarius
12-16-2016, 02:58 PM
True. We have that don't we? It helps if CBs are 30-40 yds down field when things break down too.

It also helps if your defense is not complete garbage and you don't play like a scared 5 year old.

dawgday166
12-16-2016, 03:00 PM
It also helps if your defense is not complete garbage and you don't play like a scared 5 year old.

haha ... yea it do. Here's to hoping all these Jucos make an immediate impact.

Shooter McGavin
12-16-2016, 03:10 PM
I agree. Some are having trouble reconciling that a week ago we all but had him and now we don't. It's not that hard of an explanation. It's not like LSU just swooped in out of nowhere. They had a guy transfer and offered his spot to Guidry. Couple that with a solid OC hire and there you go. It sucks but we'll be ok.

BB30
12-16-2016, 03:15 PM
We will be fine at WR.

BankerDog
12-16-2016, 03:15 PM
How quickly we forget can't miss targets Jonathan Rump, Corey Smith, the guy a few years ago who went to Florida out of Hinds and the one last year that went to LSU.

News flash, they haven't done crap.

Go get Ralph out of EMCC.

defiantdog
12-16-2016, 03:26 PM
I agree. Some are having trouble reconciling that a week ago we all but had him and now we don't. It's not that hard of an explanation. It's not like LSU just swooped in out of nowhere. They had a guy transfer and offered his spot to Guidry. Couple that with a solid OC hire and there you go. It sucks but we'll be ok.
Guidry always had a spot..... he was simply waiting on the new coaching staff. LSU has had something like 5 receivers transfer over the last year. I think Trey Quinn was their biggest departure. But LSU has a slew of Redshirt Freshmen and True Freshmen ready to step up. But Guidry has a real opportunity to start next year for LSU, especially if Dupre declares.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Guidry always had a spot..... he was simply waiting on the new coaching staff. LSU has had something like 5 receivers transfer over the last year. I think Trey Quinn was their biggest departure. But LSU has a slew of Redshirt Freshmen and True Freshmen ready to step up. But Guidry has a real opportunity to start next year for LSU, especially if Dupre declares.

Yup

This just shows you how easy coaching at LSU is. MSU has built a great relationship with Guidry, have the need for him, have a QB that can get him the ball in an offensive scheme that allows for open receivers, & LSU just hires a new OC 2 days ago that Guidry has never met, & boom Guidry is going to LSU.

Easiest job in the world.

Bass Chaser
12-16-2016, 03:35 PM
I believe Dupre has already declared. I thought I saw Ross Dellenger tweet that the other day.

ETA: I'm wrong he hasn't and has until 1/16 to declare.

BB30
12-16-2016, 03:39 PM
What was the deal with this kid out of high school? Did he have grade issues?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-16-2016, 03:41 PM
What was the deal with this kid out of high school? Did he have grade issues?

Signed with McNeese St out of HS. RS his freshman year then transferred to Hinds where he played this season.

HSVDawg
12-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Yup

This just shows you how easy coaching at LSU is. MSU has built a great relationship with Guidry, have the need for him, have a QB that can get him the ball in an offensive scheme that allows for open receivers, & LSU just hires a new OC 2 days ago that Guidry has never met, & boom Guidry is going to LSU.

Easiest job in the world.

You are conveniently glossing over the fact that the kid grew up 20 minutes from Baton Rouge. He was never not going to LSU as long as they hired a competent OC, which they did. It would be the equivalent to LSU coming into Starkville and signing AJ Brown or Kobe Jones.

preachermatt83
12-16-2016, 05:43 PM
Shotgun, sorry but you are just wrong on this kid. He would have never seen the Feild at State and he won't at LSU. I have watched him. He is big and fast but he absolutely cannot get open. He couldn't beat a 5'10 JUCO corner ALL NIGHT. He is not physical at all. He reminded me of a less physical(if that's possible) Joe Morrow.