PDA

View Full Version : Baseball: Jake Mangum has decommited from Bama.

Thick
09-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Expect him to commit to MSU in within the next week. Very good source!!

Drugdog
09-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Thick,
Not to be a DA, but could you give me the scoop on him?
Thanks.

trob115
09-05-2013, 01:55 PM
OF'er from Prep. He's a good get if we indeed flip him. I know Cohen and staff have been on him hard for a long time.

RBritt
09-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Cohen flippin em like pastor Hugh

Thick
09-05-2013, 01:58 PM
He is the son of John Mangum, Bama football standout. Plays at JP, pitches, plays cf, and I think he's a switch hitter. He decommited a few weeks ago.

messageboardsuperhero
09-05-2013, 03:23 PM
That would be pretty big. He's one of the best juniors in MS, along with Riley and Alexander. That 2015 class could be loaded if they all get to campus.

Thick
09-05-2013, 04:08 PM
That would be pretty big. He's one of the best juniors in MS, along with Riley and Alexander. That 2015 class could be loaded if they all get to campus.

That's exactly what Jake has said since decommiting from Bama. He thinks it could be a top 5 class.

Todd4State
09-05-2013, 04:12 PM

Those are the top three prospects in the state of Mississippi for 2015, and all three would be MSU commits. Hunter Stovall is a catcher that is in that class from Pelham, Al. and he is already getting invited to the East Coast Pro Showcase as a sophomore. Keegan James, a pitcher from DeSoto Central that is also committed really came on strong at the end of last year as well.

Todd4State
09-05-2013, 04:15 PM
Jake is indeed a switch hitter as Thick said, and he hit over .400 as a sophomore with I think 1 home run and he stole over 20 bases. Going off the top of my head here. As a pitcher, he is a LH pitcher that is pretty consistently in the high 80's already.

And in case anyone is wondering about the competition that Prep faced last year- they beat Oak Grove in baseball last year.

messageboardsuperhero
09-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Jake is indeed a switch hitter as Thick said, and he hit over .400 as a sophomore with I think 1 home run and he stole over 20 bases. Going off the top of my head here. As a pitcher, he is a LH pitcher that is pretty consistently in the high 80's already.

And in case anyone is wondering about the competition that Prep faced last year- they beat Oak Grove in baseball last year.

I didn't know he threw that hard. Even if Mangum doesn't end up pitching, he'd have a hell of an arm in the outfield to go along with his great speed.

And yeah, Stovall will be a stud as well.

The in-state class in 2015 seems unusually strong, or at least the top end talent does anyway. It would be great to get all of them.

engie
09-05-2013, 05:08 PM
We're starting a baseball dynasty boys... This is just the beginning...

Hope Stricklin has the foresight of how to capitalize on the momentum monetarily and facility-wise... We'll see...

msstate7
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
We're starting a baseball dynasty boys... This is just the beginning...

Hope Stricklin has the foresight of how to capitalize on the momentum monetarily and facility-wise... We'll see...
I agree. Hopefully ray and Mullen pick up the pace. It would be so cool to have an athletic program perform well in all the big 3 like Louisville. I don't see how students get anything done at Louisville. My worst semester at state was when we made the sec championship in football.

DegenDog42
09-05-2013, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure Jake decommitted from Bama in July. He committed to MSU about a week or two after and has been keeping it hush since. He has a cousin on campus that I happen to be good friends with and heard this from him about a month ago. Indeed a very good pickup because the kid is a baller.

Drugdog
09-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Engie,
I agree about SS. His honeymoon is over as well. Time to LEAD.

MsStateBaseball
09-05-2013, 07:02 PM
He is like C. T. Bradford.

Coach34
09-05-2013, 07:29 PM
He is like C. T. Bradford.

A midget?

MsStateBaseball
09-05-2013, 07:35 PM
He is 5-11 170. I have seen him. Still got growing to do and lifting weights.

Coach34
09-05-2013, 08:00 PM
That's good- I'd like to see us shy away from 5'6 players as much as we can now that recruiting is picking up

M.Fillmore
09-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Are we recruiting Jake Mangum's teammate Noah Hughes? Another good pitcher.

Also we are looking good with RHP Madison Central's Ford Axtell if we offer. The Axtells love MSU. Ford has been money is pressure games.

TrueMaroon
09-06-2013, 01:29 AM
Huge get if it happens. Also, baseball coaches dont recruit players committed to other schools (higher standards-n-such) so Cohen must have worked some back channels to get in on him.

It_Could_Happen
09-06-2013, 03:11 AM

Mark my words. Austin Riley will not make it to campus. I've heard things like the kid could be a top 10 draft pick. Guaranteed 2 mil

MsStateBaseball
09-06-2013, 05:21 AM
Actually, may have been more pressure from other commits that got to him. These kids talk all the time on social media.

Dawgbite
09-06-2013, 07:29 AM
But is he a 5 tool player?

601Dawg
09-06-2013, 07:59 AM
A midget?

Come on Coach, the kid has great bloodlines and is only 16. His Dad, Uncle, and grandfather were all NFL players (the Mangum boys from Magee, Little John who played for the bears is his dad and Kris who played for the Panthers is his Uncle) the kid is a switchhitting LH throwing P/OF combo thats got legit offers from us, LSU, Bama, and OM.

Thats more than plenty good enough for me.

smootness
09-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Engie,
I agree about SS. His honeymoon is over as well.

I keep seeing stuff like this; what, exactly, would people like to see him do that he isn't currently doing? Fire a coach every year or two?

I think his Ray hire was phenomenal. Most fans assume it was terrible because they hadn't heard of him, so they assume (stupidly) that he was lazy and just made the easiest possible hire. That couldn't be further from the truth.

He is currently undertaking a huge addition/renovation to the football stadium, we just built a sweet basketball practice facility and football facility, and next in the cards is changes to DNF. Can everyone just agree he's doing a pretty darn good job?

smootness
09-06-2013, 08:17 AM
I agree. Hopefully ray and Mullen pick up the pace.

I would obviously love to see all 3 sports doing really well at the same time, but we can't act like Cohen's job was the same as Ray's and Mullen's, and he is just doing it better.

HancockCountyDog
09-06-2013, 08:28 AM
I would obviously love to see all 3 sports doing really well at the same time, but we can't act like Cohen's job was the same as Ray's and Mullen's, and he is just doing it better.

Lets be fair to Cohen, when he got here, I think he had just as big of hole as Ray, and a much deeper hole than Mullen.

Now he has facilities and tradition that Mullen and Ray don't have, but he also overcame an in-state rival that clearly had passed MSU.

No one expected a CWS last year, then again, no one expected a Super Regional in his third year.

People are acting like we are expecting Mullen to compete for championships. No one wants that, and no one is holding Mullen to unrealistic expectations. What I think most reasonable people want to see is that in year five of your program, you have an offense in place that your players should know backwards and forwards. Also, that you recruited players that fit your offense. The offense should be the most efficient in year 5, not year 2.

Cohen's results have far exceeded everyone's expectations, but Coach Cohen. When he got here, and he talked about National Championships and CWS, people scoffed. They aren't laughing anymore.

I still think we beat AU and we get back on track, if we don't, yes Im going to get more than a little concerned.

Original48
09-06-2013, 08:30 AM
I keep seeing stuff like this; what, exactly, would people like to see him do that he isn't currently doing? Fire a coach every year or two?

Im good with all our coaches. I just think the twitter apology is still fresh. That was reactionary and somewhat embarrassing. But for me he needs to get the football game atmosphere back and the switch in food vendors has been a colossal mistake...from the concourses to the suites...awful. But I did see him tweet out the new cups and hash tagged it #nosmell..so there's that.

smootness
09-06-2013, 08:32 AM
the switch in food vendors has been a colossal mistake...from the concourses to the suites...awful. But I did see him tweet out the new cups and hash tagged it #nosmell..so there's that.

I guess my point is that if this is our main beef with our AD, he's doing a pretty good job.

smootness
09-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Oh, believe me, I think Cohen is phenomenal, I'm not taking anything away from him. I just hope we don't look at our baseball program and expect the same from basketball/football.

There's no doubt he had to dig us out of a hole, and he did it very quickly. That said, it's always far easier to do that when you have the history of something like Mississippi State baseball behind you. Of course, he built Kentucky up, too; the guy is a great coach, no doubt about it.

But I don't think anyone could do with our basketball program, and certainly not with our football program, what he has done with baseball.

Thick
09-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Lets be fair to Cohen, when he got here, I think he had just as big of hole as Ray, and a much deeper hole than Mullen.

Now he has facilities and tradition that Mullen and Ray don't have, but he also overcame an in-state rival that clearly had passed MSU.

No one expected a CWS last year, then again, no one expected a Super Regional in his third year.

People are acting like we are expecting Mullen to compete for championships. No one wants that, and no one is holding Mullen to unrealistic expectations. What I think most reasonable people want to see is that in year five of your program, you have an offense in place that your players should know backwards and forwards. Also, that you recruited players that fit your offense. The offense should be the most efficient in year 5, not year 2.

Cohen's results have far exceeded everyone's expectations, but Coach Cohen. When he got here, and he talked about National Championships and CWS, people scoffed. They aren't laughing anymore.

I still think we beat AU and we get back on track, if we don't, yes Im going to get more than a little concerned.

^^^This is good^^^

regdawg18
09-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Awesome

fishwater99
09-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Isn't Jake good friends with another recruit of ours? Can anyone shed some light on this..

Thick
09-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Isn't Jake good friends with another recruit of ours? Can anyone shed some light on this..

Real close with Gardner Minshew, QB at Brandon.

HancockCountyDog
09-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Real close with Gardner Minshew, QB at Brandon.

This will be wildly unpopular, but this would be Tyler 2.0 in so many ways. So many ways.

Jacksondevildog
09-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Don't forget, there were people calling for his head after year 2 and we were 7 outs away from Omaha in year 3 with jucos filling holes.
Oh, believe me, I think Cohen is phenomenal, I'm not taking anything away from him. I just hope we don't look at our baseball program and expect the same from basketball/football.

There's no doubt he had to dig us out of a hole, and he did it very quickly. That said, it's always far easier to do that when you have the history of something like Mississippi State baseball behind you. Of course, he built Kentucky up, too; the guy is a great coach, no doubt about it.

But I don't think anyone could do with our basketball program, and certainly not with our football program, what he has done with baseball.

Thick
09-06-2013, 10:21 AM
This will be wildly unpopular, but this would be Tyler 2.0 in so many ways. So many ways.

Hey, I just answered his question. I didn't say Minshew was the next coming of Cam.

engie
09-06-2013, 10:42 AM

SO far off...

Minshew is alot more Alex Smith than Tyler Russell.

engie
09-06-2013, 10:53 AM
I guess my point is that if this is our main beef with our AD, he's doing a pretty good job.

I've got several other complaints -- but this thread is neither the time nor place for it. He's been a great fundraiser. What else has he been exceptional with?

Eric Nies Grind Time
09-06-2013, 11:01 AM
SO far off...

Minshew is alot more Alex Smith than Tyler Russell.

Really? I just looked at his stats and he is not exactly a running QB. I thought we were going after that Jonnas Spivey guy anyway?

smootness
09-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Don't forget, there were people calling for his head after year 2 and we were 7 outs away from Omaha in year 3 with jucos filling holes.

Oh, I know. I wasn't one of those. And I'm not one who is not going to give Ray time, either. Cohen deserved, and Ray still deserves, several years to dig us out of a hole. It paid off with Cohen, and I believe it will with Ray, too.

smootness
09-06-2013, 11:08 AM
Really? I just looked at his stats and he is not exactly a running QB. I thought we were going after that Jonnas Spivey guy anyway?

I know we want J'Mar Smith, and we're going after Blake Lynch from TX, too. It's hard to figure out our QB recruiting right now. We're bringing in mostly dual-threat guys, but we brought in Schuessler, and we've gone after guys like Tyler Harris and Zack Greenlee. I don't even think Josh Dobbs was a great fit for what Mullen wants to do offensively. I think we need to get only guys who are actually more runner than passer. I don't care if we could get the #1 QB in the country. If he isn't a serious weapon in the run game, there are better options.

engie
09-06-2013, 11:14 AM

The offense he plays in requires him to pass from the pocket alot. He has pretty good movement in the pocket and sack avoidance and is pretty athletic overall and can make plays with his feet when plays break down. Still growing as well.

He had 240 rush yards and 7 rush TDs last year as a sophomore in the highest classification and arguably best division of MS hs football....

We seem to be going after J'Mar Smith first and foremost along with the guy from Texas -- seems Minshew is just behind them... Alot of people think Spivey ends up at WR...

engie
09-06-2013, 11:16 AM
I think we need to get only guys who are actually more runner than passer. I don't care if we could get the #1 QB in the country. If he isn't a serious weapon in the run game, there are better options.

Disagree... All Mullen needs is the "threat" of the run for the offense to work. That's why they had so much success with Alex Smith -- who was certainly a pass-first guy...

HancockCountyDog
09-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Disagree... All Mullen needs is the "threat" of the run for the offense to work. That's why they had so much success with Alex Smith -- who was certainly a pass-first guy...

He was a pass first, but he ran it a ton at Utah.

What is also getting missed is being able to run a QB run offense in the SEC where the defenses are bigger, stronger faster. Your QB has to be built more like Tebow, Cam, Relf to survive the pounding, even then its not a sure thing.

I know not everyone is going to agree with me about Minshaw, but Im just saying I don't think he fits the offense that we need to run here the best.

engie
09-06-2013, 11:37 AM
He was a pass first, but he ran it a ton at Utah.

What is also getting missed is being able to run a QB run offense in the SEC where the defenses are bigger, stronger faster. Your QB has to be built more like Tebow, Cam, Relf to survive the pounding, even then its not a sure thing.

I know not everyone is going to agree with me about Minshaw, but Im just saying I don't think he fits the offense that we need to run here the best.

Alex Smith survives his run tendencies perfectly fine in the pros -- surely he would have been broken in half in the SEC**

We still have no clue how big Minshew will be. He grew 2+" between last year and this year.

smootness
09-06-2013, 11:39 AM
I've got several other complaints -- but this thread is neither the time nor place for it. He's been a great fundraiser. What else has he been exceptional with?

Well, fundraising is a huge part of being an AD. And what has he dropped the ball with? We might as well have the discussion now, no need to hold back.

Ok, so he is a great fundraiser; he has made one hire in one of the major sports, and I think he did a great job with it; and his other hires have been commended. He is implementing plans to upgrade all of our facilities. To me, the only things that can be seriously complained about are:
1) the Ray hire, if you think it was bad; again, I don't.
2) the lack of upgrades to DNF, which seem to be coming next.

What else do we have to complain about from him? Seems like he's doing a fine job to me.

maroonmania
09-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I know we want J'Mar Smith, and we're going after Blake Lynch from TX, too. It's hard to figure out our QB recruiting right now. We're bringing in mostly dual-threat guys, but we brought in Schuessler, and we've gone after guys like Tyler Harris and Zack Greenlee. I don't even think Josh Dobbs was a great fit for what Mullen wants to do offensively. I think we need to get only guys who are actually more runner than passer. I don't care if we could get the #1 QB in the country. If he isn't a serious weapon in the run game, there are better options.

After what Mullen has seen with utilizing Tyler Russell in his system and putting that along side the issues Florida had with their pocket QB Meyer's last year, if Mullen signs another pocket passing QB with limited running ability I will officially call him an idiot.

RBritt
09-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Spivey is a bear. The Cody Prewitt connection in Bay Springs will see to it. Spivey is also close to Billy Hamilton but I've never seen billy tweet anything positive about State.

HancockCountyDog
09-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Alex Smith survives his run tendencies perfectly fine in the pros -- surely he would have been broken in half in the SEC**

We still have no clue how big Minshew will be. He grew 2+" between last year and this year.

Considering that Alex has run the ball 212 times so far in his NFL career (8 seasons) and ran it 284 times at Utah in 2 seasons, its safe to say he has realized that running the NFL isn't the way to go.

Now the SEC isn't the NFL, but it is as close as you get in college football, and as Relf has shown, even big physical QB's can get hurt running this offense.

Now, Im not sure how big Minshew will get, hopefully he will be 6'3" 225 and be able to take the pounding, but make no mistake our QB will need to be able to take a hit.

engie
09-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Well, fundraising is a huge part of being an AD. And what has he dropped the ball with? We might as well have the discussion now, no need to hold back.

Ok, so he is a great fundraiser; he has made one hire in one of the major sports, and I think he did a great job with it; and his other hires have been commended. He is implementing plans to upgrade all of our facilities. To me, the only things that can be seriously complained about are:
1) the Ray hire, if you think it was bad; again, I don't.
2) the lack of upgrades to DNF, which seem to be coming next.

What else do we have to complain about from him? Seems like he's doing a fine job to me.

Sorry --- not destroying this kid's thread any further... Already bad enough with the basic bashing of his best friend.

As if a baseball player from Jackson Prep doesn't check such things... Our fan base can't get out of their own way.