PDA

View Full Version : It's interesting, we are actually looking pretty decent at CB...

HoopsDawg
12-13-2016, 06:58 PM
Peters has settled in at one corner and the coaches feel with a full spring and fall at corner he can be very good on side of the ball. Then on the other side you have Durr, Cleveland, Jiles, and maybe Dantzler battling it out. Whoever win that job should be adequate with someone else being a nickle corner.

So the real need for the 105th ranked passing defense ends up being safety. So with a little more than 12 hours until signatures start rolling in, we have a great shot at 3 very talented safeties in Cole, Abram and Landrews. In Cole, you are talking about a former Michigan signee. And in Abram you are talking about a former Georgia signee. Then you add Landrews to the mix with McLaurin and Bryant and suddenly a weakness becomes a strength.

Big day for MSU football tomorrow!!

msstate7
12-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Peters was great in the egg vs stringfellow. I wonder if he'll draw the big receivers weekly and how he handles the faster, smaller guys

HoopsDawg
12-13-2016, 07:05 PM
Peters was great in the egg vs stringfellow. I wonder if he'll draw the big receivers weekly and how he handles the faster, smaller guys

Most teams have that 1 bigger guy who doesn't have great quickness. That's who he needs to match up with week to week. None of that boundry crap but I understand in zone coverage you have your side of the field.

GTHOM
12-13-2016, 07:36 PM
We should be better as a whole on defense next year. We looked extremely confused 99 percent of the time especially in the secondary. What will make or break us next year is the OL and DL. We have everything else

somebodyshotmypaw
12-13-2016, 07:43 PM
Peters really doesn't have the quickness, hips, or agility of a great corner. But he can make up for that with size, length, and physicality. You see corners every day in the NFL with different skill sets. Some are small but extremely quick and fast. Some rely on their size and physical play to overcome their lack of quickness. That's what Peters should focus on.

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2016, 07:47 PM
What we really need more than numbers at CB is for one guy to step up & be an All-SEC type player. That would allow us to scheme differently & provide more help to the weak links.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-13-2016, 09:30 PM
What we really need more than numbers at CB is for one guy to step up & be an All-SEC type player. That would allow us to scheme differently & provide more help to the weak links.

Good point. Would you rather have 2 really good corners (Slay and Redmond caliber), or 8 below average corners where you can only brag about numbers and depth?

msstate7
12-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Good point. Would you rather have 2 really good corners (Slay and Redmond caliber), or 8 below average corners where you can only brag about numbers and depth?

Peters just manned up with one of the best WRs in the sec and an NFL pick. Peters at least showed he's capable of being better than "below average"

Schultzy
12-13-2016, 09:46 PM
I think Peters career is at WR but it looks like we will keep him at db which he is getting much better at.

bulldawg28
12-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Don't forget about Smitherman. He's a playmaker

WSOPdawg
12-13-2016, 09:50 PM

How far away from a Smoot/Bean duo or Banks/Slay/Redmon trio at cornerback are we?

Schultzy
12-13-2016, 09:52 PM
How far away from a Smoot/Bean duo or Banks/Slay/Redmon trio at cornerback are we?

Light years

Cooterpoot
12-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Guidry is going to be a stud safety.

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 09:53 PM
I like Peters at CB. You could tell that he was learning the position all year, but he was so athletic he would make up for it sometimes like his INT against South Carolina which I thought was pretty incredible because he was beat, it was his first game at CB I believe and he recovered and picked off the ball. And of course we all remember his INT in the Egg Bowl.

But I think the real need, IMO is to improve the pass rush. I think that was a big reason why our pass defense stats were pretty bad. I know we got sacks from time to time and we were pretty solid against the run, but it looks like Dan is addressing that need with Sweat, Rivers, Autry, and Pope to go along with Simmons who I thought was our best d-lineman last year as a freshman, Spencer, Cory Thomas, Fletcher Adams, and now we get to see Kobe Jones as well. I also think that adding Erroll Thompson to Leo, Gerri, Jung, Gray, and Dez will help out the pass rush some as well.

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Guidry is going to be a stud.

No doubt. I just wish he was going through spring practice with us, but he will be worth the wait.

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 09:56 PM

I think that's Peters once he learns what to do. Durr, Giles, Graham, and Cleveland will all be seniors, so experience is usually a good thing to have a corner. I don't think any of those four are going to be all-SEC but I do think that they can be pretty solid. Especially rotating them in and out. It could give us some flexibility on nickle packages as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Cameron Dantzler will be very hard to keep off the field. It wouldn't surprise me at all if our starting CB are Peters & Dantzler.

Reason2succeed
12-13-2016, 10:27 PM
You're always going have a drop off when you lose corners like Calhoun and Redmond to graduation but on of top of that our two projected starters got hurt right before the first game which put us even further in the hole. Hopefully after seeing the emergence of our offense our defense will take their collapses personally over the spring and summer. I know the coaches will. I believe that we will all be impressed with our defense next year.

Reason2succeed
12-13-2016, 10:28 PM
Cameron Dantzler will be very hard to keep off the field. It wouldn't surprise me at all if our starting CB are Peters & Dantzler.

Weren't they tempted to take the redshirt off of Dantzler?

HoopsDawg
12-13-2016, 10:32 PM

I would love that.

Madisonmd
12-14-2016, 06:46 AM
Weren't they tempted to take the redshirt off of Dantzler?

Dantzler had shoulder surgery and was academically ineligible this year.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-14-2016, 07:21 AM
Peters just manned up with one of the best WRs in the sec and an NFL pick. Peters at least showed he's capable of being better than "below average"

I never insinuated that he, or anyone else, is below average. I was agreeing with another poster that sometimes top end quality becomes more important than depth.

Covercorner2
12-14-2016, 07:58 AM
Peters has settled in at one corner and the coaches feel with a full spring and fall at corner he can be very good on side of the ball. Then on the other side you have Durr, Cleveland, Jiles, and maybe Dantzler battling it out. Whoever win that job should be adequate with someone else being a nickle corner.

So the real need for the 105th ranked passing defense ends up being safety. So with a little more than 12 hours until signatures start rolling in, we have a great shot at 3 very talented safeties in Cole, Abram and Landrews. In Cole, you are talking about a former Michigan signee. And in Abram you are talking about a former Georgia signee. Then you add Landrews to the mix with McLaurin and Bryant and suddenly a weakness becomes a strength.

Big day for MSU football tomorrow!!

Abram wasn't just a signee, he started at UGA...

defiantdog
12-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Abram wasn't just a signee, he started at UGA...

We lost Abram once already,.... hopefully we get him this time

Thick
12-14-2016, 08:48 AM
Dantzler had shoulder surgery and was academically ineligible this year.

He was not academically ineligible. If he had academic issues, we would have sent him to JUCO. He participated this year in practices as well, if he had shoulder surgery it was very minor.

Thick
12-14-2016, 08:57 AM
I apologize Madisonmd. He was an "academic redshirt". After he was admitted, the clearinghouse could have kicked a course out or he was determined to have a slight learning disability, thus the term "academic redshirt". It's kind of like the old Prop 48, but more limited. I learned something new today and it's early.

Reason2succeed
12-14-2016, 09:31 AM
We Could possibly have some big corners for the next few years. Both Peters and Dantzler are over 6-2 and so is Tyler Williams I believe.

RougeDawg
12-14-2016, 10:15 AM
The best defensive back we can add next year is a consistent pass rush and pressure with only rushing 4-5 players. This past year we looked like a Chinese fire drill trying to rush the QB. We had 4-5 guys trying to run through the same gaps whole leaving the entire other side of the line with 0.0000 rushers. Never seen anything like it. Maybe it was the scheme and not quite learning it yet but it was astonishing to see a SEC defense taking itself completely out of plays by bunching up and essentially blocking themselves.