PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins...

Liverpooldawg
12-13-2016, 09:47 AM
New Temple HC.

KB21
12-13-2016, 09:53 AM
I don't like the way Geoff checked out at the end of the 2014 season when he was angling to get the Florida DC job, but I do think he is a good coach. I think he will do well and may be another coach that uses Temple as a spring board to a bigger job.

MetEdDawg
12-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Collins is a good coach. Just plain good at his job. And Temple is a good job. If he does well there, he definitely could get a big time job in the next 2-4 years.

basedog
12-13-2016, 10:04 AM
Naw, I think he is more of a whimp, can't take pressure and will fold, we shall see.

Liverpooldawg
12-13-2016, 10:07 AM
Temple is a good job at the moment. It almost always ISN'T a good job though. He better hope he can maintain it as it is.

maroonmania
12-13-2016, 10:19 AM
I don't like the way Geoff checked out at the end of the 2014 season when he was angling to get the Florida DC job, but I do think he is a good coach. I think he will do well and may be another coach that uses Temple as a spring board to a bigger job.

Geoff gave us 4 years (2 as DC) and did a good job for the most part. The only issue I had with him was bailing on us before the Orange Bowl but that may have been as much Mullen's decision as it was Collins' decision. Have a lot more respect for him than the way Manny did us not once but twice.

Homedawg
12-13-2016, 10:37 AM
Collins is a good coach. Just plain good at his job. And Temple is a good job. If he does well there, he definitely could get a big time job in the next 2-4 years.

Temple isn't a good job. But if he does well there he won't be there long for sure.

mparkerfd20
12-13-2016, 10:39 AM
To steal from someone else, f**k that guy!

TrapGame
12-13-2016, 10:46 AM
I've heard good things about Collins and I've heard bad things. Not sure what to believe.

sandwolf
12-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Geoff gave us 4 years (2 as DC) and did a good job for the most part. The only issue I had with him was bailing on us before the Orange Bowl but that may have been as much Mullen's decision as it was Collins' decision. Have a lot more respect for him than the way Manny did us not once but twice.

Agreed.

AROB44
12-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Naw, I think he is more of a whimp, can't take pressure and will fold, we shall see.

Agree 100%.....Rep points given....

Spiderman
12-13-2016, 10:56 AM
OM's DC hiring just got even harder

msstate7
12-13-2016, 10:58 AM
OM's DC hiring just got even harder

I don't think so... Florida isn't competing with om for DCs

was21
With Manny it was always just a matter of time before he returned to Miami area regardless of what job he had. I don't blame him for leaving both times.

basedog
No excuse not win at Florida, has a huge recruiting base, has a large budget, weather is great for outdoor and decent facilities.

SS got the ball rolling, Meyers was awesome, just don't see Collins as a HC.

smootness
12-13-2016, 11:09 AM
Why do so many people seem to hate Collins? Yeah, he left in 2014. It happens. He seems to be a good guy and a good coach.

Homedawg
12-13-2016, 11:42 AM
Why do so many people seem to hate Collins? Yeah, he left in 2014. It happens. He seems to be a good guy and a good coach.

Because they think it was a lateral move I guess. Which is absurd to think but whatever. And those that say he checked out in the egg bowl are being stupid. It was 10-7 when Redmond whiffed on the tackle in the backfield on the 90+ yard run and then the wheels fell off. It wasn't Collins checking out or whatever else was said.

MetEdDawg
12-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Because they think it was a lateral move I guess. Which is absurd to think but whatever. And those that say he checked out in the egg bowl are being stupid. It was 10-7 when Redmond whiffed on the tackle in the backfield on the 90+ yard run and then the wheels fell off. It wasn't Collins checking out or whatever else was said.

He got $1 million to go to Florida if I remember correctly. Not sure when we will pay that for a coordinator but it's not gonna be very soon. That isn't a lateral move. We might have been better than Florida for a few years, but they are still a much more high profile university with a lot more money to throw around.

blacklistedbully
12-13-2016, 11:48 AM
I don't think so... Florida isn't competing with om for DCs

I suspect he was being facetious.

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 11:53 AM
He got $1 million to go to Florida if I remember correctly. Not sure when we will pay that for a coordinator but it's not gonna be very soon. That isn't a lateral move. We might have been better than Florida for a few years, but they are still a much more high profile university with a lot more money to throw around.

I'm pretty sure that he went for just a little more than what he made here. Both were between 500 & 600K. At least that was his base pay to go to FL. Maybe there were some other incentives not reported or I didn't see at the time.

DownwardDawg
12-13-2016, 11:57 AM

He was a very average DC. I'm sure someone will post some positive stats in his favor, but stats are for losers. We didn't stop many people when we had to. The good teams didn't have much problem with our D. I think Diaz was a much better DC than Collins.

TrapGame
12-13-2016, 12:05 PM
He was a very average DC. I'm sure someone will post some positive stats in his favor, but stats are for losers. We didn't stop many people when we had to. The good teams didn't have much problem with our D. I think Diaz was a much better DC than Collins.

That shitty prevent D at AU 2013 comes to mind. Had the game in hand with a minute and change left in the 4th and just needed ONE stop, just ONE!

MetEdDawg
12-13-2016, 12:15 PM
That shitty prevent D at AU 2013 comes to mind. Had the game in hand with a minute and change left in the 4th and just needed ONE stop, just ONE!

I guess we have to rehash this every year. You guys do realize we have done this against virtually every team late in games close correct? LSU 2014 almost got us beat, Kentucky this year, plenty of other examples. Us going prevent isn't something Collins invented while he was here. That is something we have done consistently since Mullen has been here.

Don't want to turn this thread into a prevent defense thread, but come on. You guys know we've done that virtually every year under Mullen late game protecting a lead or tie.

basedog
12-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Like I Seen It says ****that guy.

bulldawg28
12-13-2016, 12:24 PM

I still fault Jiles for getting beat by TE on that play. He hasn't been the same since.

TrapGame
12-13-2016, 12:29 PM
I guess we have to rehash this every year. You guys do realize we have done this against virtually every team late in games close correct? LSU 2014 almost got us beat, Kentucky this year, plenty of other examples. Us going prevent isn't something Collins invented while he was here. That is something we have done consistently since Mullen has been here.

Don't want to turn this thread into a prevent defense thread, but come on. You guys know we've done that virtually every year under Mullen late game protecting a lead or tie.

Didn't we get a pass interference call too? Seems to me we got a BS call too. We had them 3rd and long but the PI just gave them fresh downs and a new spark.

BB30
12-13-2016, 12:37 PM

To be fair that is something the majority of teams do in CFB for some reason. It isn't just a Miss State or Dan Mullen thing.

GreenheadDawg
12-13-2016, 12:49 PM
I suspect he was being facetious.

I hope so

Commercecomet24
12-13-2016, 01:21 PM
To be fair that is something the majority of teams do in CFB for some reason. It isn't just a Miss State or Dan Mullen thing.

And it's also not just CFB, watch the NFL they all do it at the end of halves and end of games. Coaches are so conscious of not having to answer the question about getting beat on a big play they play soft so they don't have to face it lol!

smootness
12-13-2016, 01:36 PM

He was definitely better than average. Diaz may be better, I don't know, but I think they're both very good.

HSVDawg
12-13-2016, 01:43 PM
I still like Collins and am glad he got this opportunity. His name was thrown around a lot as a replacement when all of the "Mullen to _____ " talk was happening, so I am glad he gets a chance to prove himself at a lower tier program in the event that we ever look back his way in the future.

BulldogDX55
12-13-2016, 02:24 PM
I still like Collins and am glad he got this opportunity. His name was thrown around a lot as a replacement when all of the "Mullen to _____ " talk was happening, so I am glad he gets a chance to prove himself at a lower tier program in the event that we ever look back his way in the future.

I still can't forgive him for leaving us in the middle of bowl prep. My wife (then girlfriend) got blocked on twitter by him mid game in the fallout. She's a keeper.

HSVDawg
12-13-2016, 02:56 PM
I still can't forgive him for leaving us in the middle of bowl prep. My wife (then girlfriend) got blocked on twitter by him mid game in the fallout. She's a keeper.

I'm pretty sure he left before bowl prep ever started.

TUSK
12-13-2016, 03:50 PM
Because they think it was a lateral move I guess.

I remember that... It was amusing...