PDA

View Full Version : Hevesy at it again ...

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 07:39 AM
http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/John-Hevesy-talks-Bulldog-O-line-in-bowl-prep-49716608

He be having fun playing with the pieces of his Oline. Moving folks all over the place.

Let's have a crapload of average versatility from average to slightly above average Oline athletes, as opposed to possibly having above average to elite play because the athlete hones his skills at one position enough to where he's thinking less and assignments are automatic.

Really Clark?
12-13-2016, 08:02 AM
http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/John-Hevesy-talks-Bulldog-O-line-in-bowl-prep-49716608

He be having fun playing with the pieces of his Oline. Moving folks all over the place.

Let's have a crapload of average versatility from average to slightly above average Oline athletes, as opposed to possibly having above average to elite play because the athlete hones his skills at one position enough to where he's thinking less and assignments are automatic.

Did you read the whole thing?

Q: How have the redshirt freshmen done in bowl camp?

JH: “They’re learning. They’re getting grinded right now. Stewart (Reese) has been getting more reps with the twos and he’s been up a little more than (Dareuan Parker and Greg Eiland) have. These days are valuable to get them going. I told them walking off the field that before practice starts you have to have an understanding of the base scheme so before spring practice it’s not everything’s new.”

BulldogDX55
12-13-2016, 08:07 AM
There are plenty of things to be unhappy with Hevesy about. This isn't one of them.

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 08:07 AM
Did you read the whole thing?

With the freshmen do you just stick with one position or move them around this early?

“I try to get them at one position just so they’re not mentally locked. As they mature and grow, then you move them around. Elgton was at left and then he played right. Then we had numbers at guard with guys getting hurt, well someone has to go. He had to get reps and when I said it to him he didn’t bat an eye. Now he’s got to learn the difference in game situations. The last game he was much more comfortable. He’s developed well in there now he’s just got to go learn center.”

I'm fine with those guys. It was Rankin and Jenkins that I didn't like. I'm not a college Oline coach. I have watched our Oline play the last few years. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember moving around the 2014 Oline much except when Day got suspended for 1 game. I don't know for sure what Hevesy did in the 2013 - 2014 off season tho.

msstate7
12-13-2016, 08:10 AM
I'm fine with those guys. It was Rankin and Jenkins that I didn't like. I'm not a college Oline coach. I have watched our Oline play the last few years. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember moving around the 2014 Oline much except when Day got suspended for 1 game. I don't know for sure what Hevesy did in the 2013 - 2014 off season tho.

If we had stuck the starters in position, we would've never seen Jenkins blow up at LG down the stretch

BrunswickDawg
12-13-2016, 08:12 AM
There are plenty of things to be unhappy with Hevesy about. This isn't one of them.

Definitely. I don't see any problem with teaching guys on the line basics at other positions (which another thread complained about) or with young guys getting more reps early in bowl practice. Both of those are good things, not bad things. It means that he expects Reese, Parker and Eiland to compete for playing time next year and he is taking these early bowl practices to see how they mesh with the rest of the rotation.

Really Clark?
12-13-2016, 08:12 AM

It posted the wrong question and answer for some reason

Q: With the freshmen do you just stick with one position or move them around this early?

JH: “I try to get them at one position just so they’re not mentally locked. As they mature and grow, then you move them around. Elgton was at left and then he played right. Then we had numbers at guard with guys getting hurt, well someone has to go. He had to get reps and when I said it to him he didn’t bat an eye. Now he’s got to learn the difference in game situations. The last game he was much more comfortable. He’s developed well in there now he’s just got to go learn center.”

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 08:18 AM
If we had stuck the starters in position, we would've never seen Jenkins blow up at LG down the stretch

I agree but that move was also due to injury. Rankin might could be a very good tackle too. I hate that we are once again looking for someone to snap the ball who will move into that position next year for the first time. Oline certainly looked better down the stretch this year, but do we struggle next year for 6 or 7 games before they gell again?

We have 2/5 of an Oline (the left side) that are working well now. Maybe Hev has no choice, but I would try to keep them together and focus on the parts that aren't in place yet with the other Olinemen ... at least to start with.

Jack Lambert
12-13-2016, 08:59 AM
Me personally every lineman should be able to play at lest two other o-line positions. This helps build deepness.

PassInterference
12-13-2016, 09:04 AM
I think our OL development has been good. They were a lot better the second half of the season than the first half. They don't get better overnight, but the progression seems solid.

Now if that dude would just recruit.

Jack Lambert
12-13-2016, 09:06 AM
I think our OL development has been good. They were a lot better the second half of the season than the first half. They don't get better overnight, but the progression seems solid.

Now if that dude would just recruit.

I said it before but a lot of our O-line problem was running backs. I don't think that our o-line go better after switching to Williams.

Liverpooldawg
12-13-2016, 09:11 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact I'd be upset if he WASN'T doing it. Complaining about his recruiting to his unit is valid. Complaining about his coaching of what he has isn't. He does a good job there.

Thick
12-13-2016, 09:35 AM
He said Jenkins is very competitive and doesn't like to be wrong. Seems like Jenkins is the mold of what he's looking for in a lineman. I like those qualities of course, but I would like to add one more...."the David Stewart" approach. "I don't care who is across from me, I'm going to stomp their ass into the ground on every play." I didn't play with him, he was younger, but I was told that he was a tough, mean SOB. Love that shit.

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Me personally every lineman should be able to play at lest two other o-line positions. This helps build deepness.

I kinda was in this camp too. But it took Rankin almost 2 years to develop coming out of Juco. And when he comes out of his stance almost a full second late while a DE flies past him, this kinda leads me to believe he's having to think too much.

The last 2 years our Oline hasn't been that great to me. Maybe that was due to the RB situation too.

RougeDawg
12-13-2016, 09:41 AM
I said it before but a lot of our O-line problem was running backs. I don't think that our o-line go better after switching to Williams.

Listen to this guy. 1 finger Holloway would make Bama's line look like they weren't blocking well.

Cooterpoot
12-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Hevesy isn't a bad coach. He's just lost in identify good OL recruits. He gets a hard on over guys like Hayes who was never going to help us. Our inability to identify quality OL has been what's killed us there.

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Hevesy isn't a bad coach. He's just lost in identify good OL recruits. He gets a hard on over guys like Hayes who was never going to help us. Our inability to identify quality OL has been what's killed us there.

I lean in this direction too.

NCDawg
12-13-2016, 11:44 AM
I lean in this direction too.

I don't lean in this direction. Urban Meyer was correct at Florida when he moved him from OL coach to TE coach. We need a better OL coach and a better recruiter for the OL.

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 11:50 AM
I don't lean in this direction. Urban Meyer was correct at Florida when he moved him from OL coach to TE coach. We need a better OL coach and a better recruiter for the OL.

Well, I'm not going to argue with Urban too much. It's pretty obvious he knows what he's doing most of the time.

Cooterpoot
12-13-2016, 01:27 PM

You do realize Hevesy was with Meyer at Bowling Green, Utah, & Florida right? You also realize he was still involved in the play calling at FL after the move to the TE coach and he remained the OL assistant coach. He wasn't moved because he couldn't coach.

Homedawg
12-13-2016, 01:48 PM

So was urban wrong when he took him from bowling green then to Utah then to Florida? And then called him at Ohio state.

Homedawg
12-13-2016, 01:48 PM
You do realize Hevesy was with Meyer at Bowling Green, Utah, & Florida right? You also realize he was still involved in the play calling at FL after the move to the TE coach and he remained the OL assistant coach. He wasn't moved because he couldn't coach.

Sorry, should have read entire thread before repeating.....

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 01:49 PM
He's not a SEC caliber coach taking everything into account- including recruting.

BankerDog
12-13-2016, 01:51 PM
He's not a SEC caliber coach taking everything into account- including recruting.

You've had a lot of dumbass post, but this has to top it. Urban Meyer disagrees with you.

AROB44
12-13-2016, 01:53 PM
You've had a lot of dumbass post, but this has to top it. Urban Meyer disagrees with you.

That is an understatement.... Rep given

NCDawg
12-13-2016, 02:20 PM
So was urban wrong when he took him from bowling green then to Utah then to Florida? And then called him at Ohio state.

I don't know if he was wrong or not, but he obviously wasn't satisfied with his OL coaching since he moved him to TE coach. You say "he called him at Ohio State". How do you know this and what was the purpose of the call? I venture to say it was not to offer him the OL coaching position. It seems to me a lot of people on this board are satisfied with mediocrity.

Homedawg
12-13-2016, 02:31 PM
I don't know if he was wrong or not, but he obviously wasn't satisfied with his OL coaching since he moved him to TE coach. You say "he called him at Ohio State". How do you know this and what was the purpose of the call? I venture to say it was not to offer him the OL coaching position. It seems to me a lot of people on this board are satisfied with mediocrity.

He moved him to tackles and te and fla. he didn't fire him....and how i know more than you or how has nothing to do with it. To add, I didn't say he was wo fault. He has issues. Recruiting for sure has been a problem. Don't know where I said any different but thanks for the shitty attempt to put words in my mouth.

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 02:37 PM

Probably good thing for Urban that Hev decided to stay in Starkville ... since they won NC with 1 4* OT recruit, a 3* DE recruit (I believe), 2 other 3* OL recruits and an unranked recruit. I'm doing this from memory but I remember scratching my head about how that OL whupped Bama so well in the CFP.

Based on that I believe Hev works greater wonders with less talented players than anyone in the country *****

NCDawg
12-13-2016, 02:39 PM
He moved him to tackles and te and fla. he didn't fire him....and how i know more than you or how has nothing to do with it. To add, I didn't say he was wo fault. He has issues. Recruiting for sure has been a problem. Don't know where I said any different but thanks for the shitty attempt to put words in my mouth.

Weird response, but ok.

Percho
12-13-2016, 02:42 PM
He said Jenkins is very competitive and doesn't like to be wrong. Seems like Jenkins is the mold of what he's looking for in a lineman. I like those qualities of course, but I would like to add one more...."the David Stewart" approach. "I don't care who is across from me, I'm going to stomp their ass into the ground on every play." I didn't play with him, he was younger, but I was told that he was a tough, mean SOB. Love that shit.

And the Day approach, don't fall down in front of me fifteen yards down the field.

Really Clark?
12-13-2016, 02:51 PM
Good grief. All Urban did was flip Addaizo from coaching T & TE and Hev coaching interior. He then gave Addaizo AHC title and started grooming him as Dan's replacement. Seeing how that played into Addazio getting 2 HC jobs it probably a good move.

GTHOM
12-13-2016, 04:18 PM
The offensive line is either going to make us lethal offensively next year or it could be 2015 all over again. The skill positions are there. On both sides really, gotta have some guys step up and at least be serviceable

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 04:22 PM

Urban Meyer moved him to tight ends so I guess he agrees with me. Dumbass.

Homedawg
12-13-2016, 05:07 PM
Urban Meyer moved him to tight ends so I guess he agrees with me. Dumbass.

As stated before, urban moved him to tackles and te. Not just te.

CadaverDawg
12-13-2016, 05:17 PM
That is an understatement.... Rep given

https://yvonneashlee.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/trying-not-to-laugh-o.gif?w=300&h=225

basedog
12-13-2016, 05:25 PM
https://yvonneashlee.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/trying-not-to-laugh-o.gif?w=300&h=225

LMAO Clint! Rep given.

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 05:25 PM
As stated before, urban moved him to tackles and te. Not just te.

That's not the way it looks on Steve Addazio's bio. It looks like he got promoted over Hevesy actually. I'm not sure why he would report it differently.

WPDawg
12-13-2016, 05:58 PM
That's not the way it looks on Steve Addazio's bio. It looks like he got promoted over Hevesy actually. I'm not sure why he would report it differently.

....make his bio look better? You don't believe everything glossy on a resume do you?

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 06:43 PM
....make his bio look better? You don't believe everything glossy on a resume do you?

Why would he lie about that? He already had AHC by his name. That would be pretty obvious to root out as well especially after George O'Leary lied and it cost him the Notre Dame job.