PDA

View Full Version : Monster new Baseball commit

bobcat91
12-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Carter Stewart 6'5" out of Florida for the 2018 class. Low 90s fastball. Rated #19 in 2018 class by Perfect Game. Cannizaro is a recruiting savant.

civildawg
12-12-2016, 07:22 PM
But I thought you can't get great recruits to starkville**

msstate7
12-12-2016, 07:24 PM
But I thought you can't get great recruits to starkville**

Why isn't bama getting these type baseball commits? They get them in football

Thick
12-12-2016, 07:25 PM
Well, there's also this thing called the MLB draft. If Canns can start getting these guys to campus, then he's everything the LSU fans said he was.

msstate7
12-12-2016, 07:26 PM
Good commit

civildawg
12-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Well maybe their coach needs to step up their recruiting game.

msstate7
12-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Well, there's also this thing called the MLB draft. If Canns can start getting these guys to campus, then he's everything the LSU fans said he was.

I love the top flight commits, but hope coach Can has some guys that are certain to make it to campus and good fall back options to replace the ones that do bolt

Thick
12-12-2016, 07:32 PM
I love our baseball program, because we can recruit at a high level nationally. I hate the MLB draft. I wish they wouldn't let them take HS seniors.

msstate7
12-12-2016, 07:35 PM
I love our baseball program, because we can recruit at a high level nationally. I hate the MLB draft. I wish they wouldn't let them take HS seniors.

While I would rather see the best HS players play in college, it would suck for the players that would've gotten paid and all-the-sudden had to pay for school

preachermatt83
12-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Supposed to have the nastiest breaking ball in America

msbulldog
12-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Awesome!

CadaverDawg
12-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Andy CannaCrooto

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-12-2016, 08:19 PM
You can when you have the Taj Mahal of baseball.

Thick
12-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Why can't MLB do like the NFL or the NBA

lamont
12-12-2016, 08:54 PM
NCAA needs to let baseball have its scholarships and college baseball would become huge due to the increased level of play. Would also help MLB

lamont
12-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Cann gonna make people understand why I didnt want a coach that bunts in the 1st inning

DownwardDawg
12-12-2016, 09:04 PM
Cann gonna make people understand why I didnt want a coach that bunts in the 1st inning

Can we bring back will whatshisname for the baseball threads now that the bunter is AD instead of coach?
Those baseball threads were epic!

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Can we bring back will whatshisname for the baseball threads now that the bunter is AD instead of coach?
Those baseball threads were epic!

Hell no.

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 09:18 PM
While I would rather see the best HS players play in college, it would suck for the players that would've gotten paid and all-the-sudden had to pay for school

Well if you make 5 million playing baseball you won't have a lot of student debt for long unless you just suck at managing money.

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Why can't MLB do like the NFL or the NBA

Because they would rather control their players as much as possible as opposed to letting some idiot ruin a prospect like Bianco.

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 09:20 PM
And I will add- baseball is by far the most overprotective sport on the planet. See the MLB draft. See the World Baseball Classic when most of the Americans won't play because they are afraid of getting hurt. It's absurd.

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Well maybe their coach needs to step up their recruiting game.

Maybe our football coach needs to step up his recruiting game. Except at QB oddly enough.

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Carter Stewart 6'5" out of Florida for the 2018 class. Low 90s fastball. Rated #19 in 2018 class by Perfect Game. Cannizaro is a recruiting savant.

I think it's going to be hard to get him past the draft but I certainly don't mind the risk. If Cannizarro starts landing guys like this and getting them on campus, I'll shake his hand and thank him.

I seen it dawg
12-12-2016, 09:46 PM
If Cannizzarro signs 8 big time draft risks and we get 2 to school it's a game changer.

Homedawg
12-12-2016, 10:08 PM
If Cannizzarro signs 8 big time draft risks and we get 2 to school it's a game changer.

That's it. People don't need to stroke out when we lose a bunch of these guys. We are going to, but we have changed philosophy by going after more elites and landing them, even starting w Cohen to put more risk for more reward. Only problem occurs is when one doesn't sign you thought would sign and the head coach has to fix the scholarship mess bc of the 11.7. But that's why he's paid the big bucks. He will fix it.

Thick
12-12-2016, 10:19 PM
I agree, if Canns starts bringing in 2 of those potential high draftees then it's a complete game changer for us.

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 10:21 PM
That's it. People don't need to stroke out when we lose a bunch of these guys. We are going to, but we have changed philosophy by going after more elites and landing them, even starting w Cohen to put more risk for more reward. Only problem occurs is when one doesn't sign you thought would sign and the head coach has to fix the scholarship mess bc of the 11.7. But that's why he's paid the big bucks. He will fix it.

Bingo to you and I seen it dawg. Our fans only see the guys that Vanderbilt actually gets into school. What they don't see is the six out of the eight that Vandy didn't get.

Going by I seen it's 2 out of 8 I seen it Dawg hypothesis that in theory should equal out to six impact players per year- 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores, and 2 juniors. Also in theory you need at least 15-16 players per team that are solid contributors per year (Six-seven pitchers and nine position players) and if six of those 15-16 are high end guys you basically end up with a Vanderbilt. And we can fill out the rest with guys that we typically recruit from Mississippi, Alabama, Memphis, Louisiana and probably field a championship caliber team or pretty close to it. We also might be able to steal a Nate Lowe or Jack Kruger from the JUCO ranks in that figure as well.

bulldogcountry1
12-12-2016, 10:26 PM

I can't imagine how you could possibly manage the the 11.7 ships 2,3, even 4 years out. When you are working with crumbs, just one just one player could throw it all out of whack. I'd like to know their strategy.

msstate7
12-12-2016, 10:27 PM
If the goal is say 2 of 8 from the elite group, do you oversign in anticipation of losing some or do you scramble for guys postdraft? Bc of the MLB draft, I never pay much attention to baseball recruiting

Joe Schmedlap
12-12-2016, 10:31 PM
I think it's going to be hard to get him past the draft but I certainly don't mind the risk. If Cannizarro starts landing guys like this and getting them on campus, I'll shake his hand and thank him.

This kid has family ties to Mississippi State, so that might help.

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 10:54 PM
If the goal is say 2 of 8 from the elite group, do you oversign in anticipation of losing some or do you scramble for guys postdraft? Bc of the MLB draft, I never pay much attention to baseball recruiting

IMO it's better to oversign. You have to remember that a lot of our players are getting academic money so that helps. Certainly there are times get left out to dry and it sucks for them- and that happens at all SEC schools. I think it's best to see what we've got and then figure it out after the fact. That's where Cannizaro's ties as a scout will help him and us because I think it will give him a better idea of who is and isn't coming plus he has that experience where he can judge that accurately for himself. Polk and Cohen didn't really have that perspective of the other side that Cannizaro has.

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 10:57 PM
This kid has family ties to Mississippi State, so that might help.

It won't hurt. But the weird thing is lately we've been losing some of the end guys with MSU ties- like Austin Riley and Greg Pickett- and keeping guys like Ethan Small, Elih Marrero, and heck- Jake Mangum is an Alabama AND Ole Miss legacy and we got him. But maybe it's time for that to turn in our favor because I do agree that our tradition can possibly help with a kid who has ties to MSU and dreams of playing for us.