PDA

View Full Version : Austin Williams signs Fin Aid with State

Really Clark?
12-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Everybody gets all wrapped up in the drama but this is another one not to worry about. Signed today and half to have him. HAILSTATE!!

msstate7
12-12-2016, 05:19 PM
Good deal. Are all EEs eligible to sign papers right now?

RocketDawg
12-12-2016, 06:00 PM
He must be very good academically too since he had offers from the AF Academy and Harvard. Good to get this guy.

Bothrops
12-12-2016, 06:12 PM
Welcome to Bulldog Country, Austin!

SailingDawg
12-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Very smart kid. My son is in school with him. Should be a wonderful asset to our program.

blacklistedbully
12-12-2016, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the Bulldog family, Austin!

msbulldog
12-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Good, from what I've read he has potential! Certainly won't hurt our grade point average.
Welcome to the Bulldog family!

was21
12-12-2016, 08:19 PM
Obviously a smart talented guy..smart is important as is talented

Westdawg
12-12-2016, 08:21 PM
Not gonna lie, if I had a chance at a free Harvard education I would jump all over it.

msstate7
12-12-2016, 08:26 PM
Not gonna lie, if I had a chance at a free Harvard education I would jump all over it.

I don't think Harvard gives athletic scholarships.

msbulldog
12-12-2016, 08:31 PM
I don't think Harvard gives athletic scholarships.

No, but if your smart enough to get there, they have a tremendous endowment 'academic scholarship'.

lamont
12-12-2016, 08:32 PM
http://247sports.com/player/austin-williams-81308

109th rated WR in the country.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-12-2016, 08:33 PM
They don't. I think he was implying that he got an athletic scholarship but he's a really smart kid cause Harvard ask him to come play for them.

the59dawg
12-12-2016, 10:27 PM

You couldn't stand that liberal bunch up there. But depends on your planned profession. Liberal arts and law, go for it.

chef dixon
12-12-2016, 10:30 PM

I don't know man. Go to a state school further south, take easier classes, bang hotter women, enjoy better weather, and the degree can get you to pretty much any profession a Harvard one could.

GTHOM
12-12-2016, 10:33 PM
Hes a solid player. Played in a split back veer offense at Ocean Springs so he's raw. Will be interesting to see how he develops in the spread.

TimberBeast
12-13-2016, 12:27 AM
Hes a solid player. Played in a split back veer offense at Ocean Springs so he's raw. Will be interesting to see how he develops in the spread.

Yep seen him play many times, great hands, glad we got him but OS is going to be in trouble without him next year.

benbow
12-13-2016, 12:41 AM
Now that's a hell of a note: dissing a degree from Harvard because liberals pass through there. Have to think about that one.

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 12:50 AM
Going to Harvard isn't going to help him get to the NFL- which is likely more lucrative than any job he could have gotten by going to Harvard.

So, from a business standpoint he made the right decision.

EngDawg
12-13-2016, 12:54 AM
No, but if your smart enough to get there, they have a tremendous endowment 'academic scholarship'.

AF academy has very good academics as well and at no cost to attendees. Of course the 4 year service commitment is a drawback if you don't won't to be career military.

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 07:12 AM
http://247sports.com/player/austin-williams-81308

109th rated WR in the country.

Looks like a possession WR or a TE to me. IMO 40 times are always exaggerated meaning that he's probably slower than the 4.58. That doesn't necessarily mean he can't be pretty good but it doesn't look like he will stretch the field much, which is what we really need IMO.

Gordon Gekko
12-13-2016, 07:45 AM
Looks like a possession WR or a TE to me. IMO 40 times are always exaggerated meaning that he's probably slower than the 4.58. That doesn't necessarily mean he can't be pretty good but it doesn't look like he will stretch the field much, which is what we really need IMO.

Also looks like a gritty player with a high football IQ

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Also looks like a gritty player with a high football IQ

Those a good traits to have and you want those in your team makeup, but how can you tell that from a profile?

IMO you need upper tier athleticism as well as those 2 traits to get open against Bama's D and secondary.

ETA: I'm thinking of Bear Wilson. While he burst out of the gates, once teams became aware of him later on he really struggled to get separation down the field ... and he had some elite athleticism in his height and size. He didn't have much of an impact as a go-to target against the upper tier D's in the SEC, especially his senior year.

msstate7
12-13-2016, 07:55 AM

Way to go... Austin hasn't even put on the maroon and white yet and you've already belittled him.

Turfdawg67
12-13-2016, 08:00 AM
Those a good traits to have and you want those in your team makeup, but how can you tell that from a profile?

IMO you need upper tier athleticism as well as those 2 traits to get open against Bama's D and secondary.

ETA: I'm thinking of Bear Wilson. While he burst out of the gates, once teams became aware of him later on he really struggled to get separation down the field ... and he had some elite athleticism in his height and size. He didn't have much of an impact as a go-to target against the upper tier D's in the SEC, especially his senior year.

Of course Wilson didn't play his senior year... but hey, why let facts get in the way of your early morning negativity.

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 08:01 AM
Way to go... Austin hasn't even put on the maroon and white yet and you've already belittled him.

Nothing wrong with being a possession receiver, especially if he can block real well. I was more like asking a question ... I don't know much about him. Just looked at his profile.

I do know that we aren't stretching the field against the better SEC Ds at all the last 2 years. I personally would sorta like to see some upper tier speed and exceptional cutting ability out there.

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Of course Wilson didn't play his senior year... but hey, why let facts get in the way of your early morning negativity.

I'm sure another year would've given him another 0.3 sec off his 40 times.

Really Clark?
12-13-2016, 08:10 AM
Can we not dissect a player, bring up rankings, and get into recruiting debates about what we should be bringing in on a Congratulations post to the newest member of our family. Let's do that for a change

dawgday166
12-13-2016, 08:19 AM
Can we not dissect a player, bring up rankings, and get into recruiting debates about what we should be bringing in on a Congratulations post to the newest member of our family. Let's do that for a change

Sure.

ETA: I didn't and don't know much about him. I was sorta inquiring about him somewhat. He's probably a great kid I'm sure.

So I'm looking at his profile again. I looked at his offers. So we're excited about a white WR with average at best speed with no Power 5 offers? Maybe he can go to Harvard, but are we giving athletic or academic scholly's??

Not trying to dog him and I'll stop here. I'll wait 3 or 4 years when he's getting dog cussed in game threads as to how he's a bust and why did we ever give him a scholly ... and by some of the same sunshine guys (that are trolling me now).

BB30
12-13-2016, 09:28 AM

Height and size don't equal elite athleticism. If bear had been an elite athlete he would have been a 1st rounder. Not that it really matters now but I would say he was maybe a touch above average as far as athleticism goes at WR in the SEC. Donald and Fred are both much better athletes then DW was IMO.

Really Clark?
12-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Sure.

ETA: I didn't and don't know much about him. I was sorta inquiring about him somewhat. He's probably a great kid I'm sure.

So I'm looking at his profile again. I looked at his offers. So we're excited about a white WR with average at best speed with no Power 5 offers? Maybe he can go to Harvard, but are we giving athletic or academic scholly's??

Not trying to dog him and I'll stop here. I'll wait 3 or 4 years when he's getting dog cussed in game threads as to how he's a bust and why did we ever give him a scholly ... and by some of the same sunshine guys (that are trolling me now).

Really? You ETA that crap and claim you are not dogging him? I seem to remember the same kind of talk when we signed several players over the past few years. But you couldn't just let it be for the kid.

Virgil Caine
12-13-2016, 07:45 PM
I don't know man. Go to a state school further south, take easier classes, bang hotter women, enjoy better weather, and the degree can get you to pretty much any profession a Harvard one could.
Totally hate this, but NYC, DC professional jobs will look down on State grads. I was once asked in an interview how it was possible that I got into my graduate school from State.

edit: don't get me wrong, this would be viewed the same from any non-Vandy SEC school though. not a problem particular to State.