PDA

View Full Version : Mullen when asked about his name coming up in job openings

starkvegasdawg
12-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Here is one answer from Paul Jones free story today.
Dan Mullen talks bowl prep, job rumors and academics
(http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/Dan-Mullen-talks-bowl-prep-job-rumors-and-academics-49694473)

Q: This time of year your name is always tossed around for job openings. What kind of emotions do you go through with that every year?

Mullen: It's really nothing now. I guess at first it was flattering and then it got annoying. And here's the thing. I bet early on people wondered if (I'm) going to be here. Then in the middle it is (I'm) definitely not going to be around and now, you just assume I am still going to be here. For some people that is probably a good thing and some people are like 'this guy is still here and I thought this was the year we were getting rid of him'.

But it is what it is. I love being here and we've built this program. When you get the opportunity to build a program it's about how you want to build it whether it be with facilities, with the personnel and the people you have. I mean, my kids were born here and this is all they know.

My son, I don't know what he would do. He loves it here. But we got to build a mini-golf course here because he saw Clemson and they have a mini-golf course in their facility. So he said Dad we got to pick it up here (laughing).

But this is all my family knows and we love living here. Our coaches love being here. I will be honest, I was doing some recruiting this week and you see some of the traffic in some places. I have really gotten accustomed to some Mississippi living. Some places you go eight miles in an hour and 15 minutes. I could run that fast, literally.

-Cleaned up the formatting and provided link to Paul's original story. Paul's a good guy please don't rip his stuff off without giving credit
-ScoobaDawg

BrunswickDawg
12-12-2016, 09:50 AM
And that is why I don't believe any discussion of anything that isn't an obvious step up for Dan.
Dan also realizes that he and his family have a lifestyle and have put down roots, and that the grass isn't always greener.

About 18 months ago I was faced with an opportunity to take a very high profile job in Texas. Financially, it would have been outstanding. But, it meant my wife would have to shut down her business and start over from scratch. My kids would have to move in the middle of High School and start over - and leave the only place they had known as home. My parents and my mother-in-law have moved here and retired, so our ties are broad. And it meant I would have to give up the laid back coastal life for Austin and traffic. Sometimes, you look at what you have built and say, "we would I leave all this??"

maroonmania
12-12-2016, 10:04 AM
IMO the rogue recruiting tactics of UNM had a lot to do with his desire to get away from that over the last couple of years. Now that he sees they are going to get their just due and things will be more on the up and up for the time being, he is probably much more content to be at MSU.

starkvegasdawg
12-12-2016, 10:40 AM
IMO the rogue recruiting tactics of UNM had a lot to do with his desire to get away from that over the last couple of years. Now that he sees they are going to get their just due and things will be more on the up and up for the time being, he is probably much more content to be at MSU.

This is not be the first time I had heard that.

gtowndawg
12-12-2016, 10:51 AM
That is a well thought out, personal response. I think that's what many wanted to see - heart felt response, not just coach speak.

That's why so many loved Jackie. He made you feel like there's no place in the world he would rather be than Starkville. He was one of us so to speak. And when you can make a fan feel like you love it, you get much better at making recruits love it.

fishwater99
12-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Link or when can I find these quotes..

SheltonChoked
12-12-2016, 11:04 AM
That is a well thought out, personal response. I think that's what many wanted to see - heart felt response, not just coach speak.

That's why so many loved Jackie. He made you feel like there's no place in the world he would rather be than Starkville. He was one of us so to speak. And when you can make a fan feel like you love it, you get much better at making recruits love it.

Not that Jackie didn't/doesn't love Starkville, but talk to a Aggie about Jackie. They say the exact same thing about him. Maybe he loved both places that much, or maybe he's good a recruiting.

BrunswickDawg
12-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Not that Jackie didn't/doesn't love Starkville, but talk to a Aggie about Jackie. They say the exact same thing about him. Maybe he loved both places that much, or maybe he's good a recruiting.

Always Be Closing

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 11:13 AM
Good to see Adam say this so adamantly. Thank you Jimmy Sexton.

TrapGame
12-12-2016, 11:18 AM

He can dominate in-state recruiting for five years. Throw in a few guys from LA, AL and GA and we'll have some damn solid teams.

starkvegasdawg
12-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Link or when can I find these quotes..

http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/Dan-Mullen-talks-bowl-prep-job-rumors-and-academics-49694473?utm_source=247Sports%20Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=161212_081032_Mississippi%20State%20B ulldogs&utm_content=Link

StoneDawg
12-12-2016, 12:13 PM

Agreed

blacklistedbully
12-12-2016, 12:44 PM
Cool, Dan.

smootness
12-12-2016, 12:50 PM
Good to see Adam say this so adamantly. Thank you Jimmy Sexton.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/dan-mullen-loves-mississippi-state/

He's done it before.

Liverpooldawg
12-12-2016, 01:17 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/mississippi-state-football/dan-mullen-loves-mississippi-state/

He's done it before.

More than once.

RocketDawg
12-12-2016, 03:01 PM
We couldn't ask for any more from Dan. Like I've thought all along, MSU is his baby and he's here for the long haul.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-12-2016, 03:06 PM

But that's the thing, if it isn't OM, it's Auburn. If it's not them, it's someone else and on and on. He won't ever be on a level playing field at MSU.

Commercecomet24
12-12-2016, 03:13 PM

I've heard this from several people. Dans an honorable man and it was eating at him that he was trying to do things the right way while bucky was cheating his teeth out. It's hard for honest hard working people to watch cheaters and fakes get ahead. Things have changed though for ole bucky and crew. Dan has built something honorable here and can sleep at night and ole bucky from the looks of him is sleeping the sleep of the damned. He's built this program like most of State people have built our lives, through honest, hard work. Stick around and keep building Dan, just please add some stud lineman to the list!

somebodyshotmypaw
12-12-2016, 03:29 PM
I get it. I turned down a job offer recently that included a 70% raise. I would have been running a company of idiots and the stability of the job was questionable. Decisions are made every day based on things besides strictly money. Too many on this board only look at money as the single factor.

gtowndawg
12-12-2016, 03:52 PM

I think that was the genius of King Jackie.

Todd4State
12-12-2016, 04:32 PM

He's done it before.

All he talked about was that we were a good situation. There was no "I love being here" in that article.

maroonmania
12-12-2016, 05:55 PM
But that's the thing, if it isn't OM, it's Auburn. If it's not them, it's someone else and on and on. He won't ever be on a level playing field at MSU.

Oh I agree, but I think having that mess at his doorstep with a program he has to deal with so much in-state just grates on a guy more than some other SEC program. And I've already said that I don't think Mullen will ever recruit at a level that will get us more than 6-8 wins/year consistently. Recruiting and continuity with a defensive staff will always hold us back to some degree under Mullen.

BB30
12-12-2016, 06:10 PM
Unfortunately, we will still have fans that bitch and moan about Dan being our coach. If you haven't looked around lately coaching changes haven't exactly worked out well for many in the SEC. If and when we make a move or something changes, we sure as hell better hope that there are not many big or even medium named programs making a change because we will be on or near the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to getting to pick our next HC. And, dont give me the we are in the SEC we have money blah blah blah.... We are in the SEC west at a program that has historically been a door mat. No coach is jumping up and down to come to Starkville that is truth. We all love Starkville and couldn't see how somebody wouldn't want to come here but I assure you outside of State fans not many people could tell you where Starkville is much less decide this is a destination job.

Odds are if and when a change happens we will land a mediocre coach and if we do happen to land a stud up and comer the same people complaining now about Dan popping up for every job will deal with the same thing with the next guy whether warranted or not. The media will continue to put any successful coach we have in football in the discussion for every job opening because they just could not understand how somebody would want to stay at state, the Kentucky or Vandy of the west. I am not saying we are the KY or Vandy of the West but that is how we are perceived. It is going to take years of consistency winning to change that. And Dan has us on our way.

Most of the people bitching about Dan leaving or not leaving just want Dan gone regardless of how or why it happens. We could go 14-1 next year, lose the NC and some here would be saying it is time for a change.

smootness
12-12-2016, 07:02 PM
All he talked about was that we were a good situation. There was no "I love being here" in that article.

" CL.com/"story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2015/11/23/dan-mullen-job-rumors-love-one-have/76271802

"I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen said. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that."

NO DIRECT LINKS TO THE CL
-Scooba

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-12-2016, 09:08 PM
8 miles in 75 minutes is bookin it....

chef dixon
12-12-2016, 09:44 PM
Not good enough. Needs to put out a statement ASAP clarifying he likes our mini golf course better than Clemson's. ***

blacklistedbully
12-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Most of the people bitching about Dan leaving or not leaving just want Dan gone regardless of how or why it happens. We could go 14-1 next year, lose the NC and some here would be saying it is time for a change.

Complete and utter BS. You lie about this over and over and over...then bitch when people come on here to correct you.

There are VERY FEW who just want Dan gone. The vast majority of us are folks who have simply grown weary of Dan not publicly, definitively dismissing those rumors, true or not, so as not to screw up our recruiting. We're also frustrated by Dan's stubborn streak when it comes to certain personnel & game-calling issues (Perkins up the middle, Holloway up the middle, Devon Bell sent out for FG after FG after FG attempt when he is beyond a basket-case and choking every time, doing the same thing with Graves, JRob rushing twice in a game for 18 yards, then never seeing the field again, taking a knee with 50 seconds left in a half and all time outs in his back pocket, etc, etc).

Damn near every one of us wanted the "old Dan" back...the one who would never have squandered our momentum from 2014, and some of us would just like him to start to realize he could go from good-to-great if he would just be willing to learn from mistakes and adapt.

Damn near every one of us would take Dan back, even if he continues to be reluctant to adapt, as long as he does a better job of shooting down the job-hunting rumors. And yes, he can do it as often as it takes to protect our recruiting.

And as another poster pointed out, Dan's statements are sometimes "cute" and just a little evasive...leaving the door open for media members to continue to suggest he is a candidate. For instance....Dan saying a bunch of nice things about what we've done with facilities, how much we've built, etc, etc, does not mean he is flat-out denying interest in XYZ job opening.

His recent statement was good...but he has not done that every time there is a respected media source spreading rumors about his interest, etc. If he makes statements at an MSU event that is only covered by the Clarion Liar, or some other small-time local source...it doesn't get the national play we want and need to limit damage to our recruiting.

Lastly, I, and others are still convinced and hacked-off that Dan thought he had Miami this past year, and took his foot off the gas, wasting a golden opportunity to capitalize on 2014....something that is unlikely to happen again in our history, that being a magical rise to #1 for 5 weeks. But even with that....we're excited to have him back, if he goes back to being the intense, confident bastard, as long as he at least looks and acts like he REALLY wants to be here.

dawgday166
12-12-2016, 11:16 PM

I would! ****

Naw, seriously ... only if we could've won the NC game in the last 2 minutes and he **cked up the clock management yet again. ****

dawgday166
12-12-2016, 11:18 PM
8 miles in 75 minutes is bookin it....

That's only 9.375 minute miles. Decent but ain't world shattering.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-13-2016, 12:14 AM
No, not world shattering but for me (48) that's getting down the road pretty good....and even for Dan at 44 that's pretty good.

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 12:38 AM
" CL.com/"story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2015/11/23/dan-mullen-job-rumors-love-one-have/76271802

NO DIRECT LINKS TO THE CL
-Scooba
That's still not as adamant as last time. It's also a lot easier to believe him this time when there aren't rumors of other jobs after said quote after he squashed the rumors to Oregon this year

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 12:46 AM
Complete and utter BS. You lie about this over and over and over...then bitch when people come on here to correct you.

There are VERY FEW who just want Dan gone. The vast majority of us are folks who have simply grown weary of Dan not publicly, definitively dismissing those rumors, true or not, so as not to screw up our recruiting. We're also frustrated by Dan's stubborn streak when it comes to certain personnel & game-calling issues (Perkins up the middle, Holloway up the middle, Devon Bell sent out for FG after FG after FG attempt when he is beyond a basket-case and choking every time, doing the same thing with Graves, JRob rushing twice in a game for 18 yards, then never seeing the field again, taking a knee with 50 seconds left in a half and all time outs in his back pocket, etc, etc).

Damn near every one of us wanted the "old Dan" back...the one who would have never squandered our momentum from 2014, and some of us would just like him to start to realize he could go from good-to-great is he would just be willing to learn from mistakes and adapt.

Damn near every one of us would take Dan back, even if he continues to be reluctant to adapt, as long as he does a better job of shooting down the job-hunting rumors. And yes, he can do it as often as it takes to protect our recruiting.

And as another poster pointed out, Dan's statements are sometimes "cute" and just a little evasive...leaving the door open for media members to continue to suggest he is a candidate. For instance....Dan saying a bunch of nice things about what we've down with facilities, how much we've built, etc, etc, does not mean he is flat-out denying interest in XYZ job opening.

His recent statement was good...but he has not done that every time there is a respected media source spreading rumors about his interest, etc. If he makes statements at an MSU event that is only covered by the Clarion Liar, or come other small-time local source...it doesn't get the national play we want and need to limit damage to our recruiting.

Lastly, I, and others are still convinced and hacked-off that Dan thought he had Miami this past year, and took his foot off the gas, wasting a golden opportunity to capitalize on 2014....something that is unlikely to happen again in our history, that being a magical rise to #1 for 5 weeks. But even with that....we're excited to have him back, if he goes back to being the intense, confident bastard, as long as he at least looks and acts like he REALLY wants to be here.

Thank you. It's like demanding Dan be accountable for his actions makes you a bad fan. It's not that I want him to go- I want him to FIX the problem OR go. I don't really care which one he does. As far as I am concerned he's going to have to make the Sugar Bowl to make up for 2015 to get back on my good side totally. We don't get chances like that very often with a once in a lifetime player- and for him to piss it away while he was flirting with Miami was unacceptable. Kudos to Keenum for not extending him last year. But if he fixes things he can stay as far as I am concerned. Beating the hell out of Ole Miss 55-20 on the road is a good start and kudos to Dan for the teams academic performance being good enough to get us into a bowl. Now he still needs to step up his recruiting ESPECIALLY on the o-line. I'm tired of him *****footing around with projects and not holding Hevesy accountable on his end as far as recruiting goes. At least Hevesy got the o-line to actually perform last year which means he wasn't totally worthless. Of course now they're already looking at Jenkins at center or moving him back to tackle which is insane. Period.

They better be on Nik Hogan and Quantrivious Johnson- two in state o-linemen like ass on grass so that Key and Hill will have some blockers when they are juniors and seniors and a line that isn't patchwork.

blacklistedbully
12-13-2016, 09:56 PM
They better be on Quantrivious Johnson- in state o-linemen like ass on grass so that Key and Hill will have some blockers when they are juniors and seniors and a line that isn't patchwork.

You mean this little dude?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJkI_dJ63q4&list=RDvbi-H_98G0I&index=3

Todd4State
12-13-2016, 09:58 PM
You mean this little dude?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJkI_dJ63q4&list=RDvbi-H_98G0I&index=3

LOL. The dude I'm talking about is anything but little. Like 6'9" 350 legit offensive tackle big.

blacklistedbully
12-13-2016, 10:24 PM
LOL. The dude I'm talking about is anything but little. Like 6'9" 350 legit offensive tackle big.

Was about to say, he'd better be one quick-footed, over-achieving SOB, if he was that dude. If he was another Hevsey "project", I was gonna shit a brick.;)