PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's RB Rotation

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2016, 06:45 PM
Williams
Gibson
Hill

I'm not even sure Mullen can screw this up by playing the wrong guy.

Have we ever had three better backs than this at one time? If so, which year & who?

How would you use them?

Is there any drop off between all three of them?

If Clyde-Edwards Helaire also comes, then sheesh

msstate7
12-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Who was 3rd string with dicenzo and Walker? They were pretty dang good

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2016, 06:53 PM

Justin Griffith was the full back in 2000, so that would be a pretty legit 3 some.

Chris Rainey was the 3rd back in 99

I think this three some for the next 2 years has a chance to be the best. Especially when you throw in Fitz

In 2000, Miller ran for 996, Walker 795, & Griffith 136

I think this three some come close to that next season. Add Fitz & they'll destroy it

KB21
12-10-2016, 06:53 PM

Justin Griffith was on that team. He wasn't 3rd string, but he played a little FB and TB for that team.

TUSK
12-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Davis & Bouie...

/thread...

msstate7
12-10-2016, 06:56 PM
Yeah, aeris, Gibson, and hill could be great, but I'll have to see it to put them above Miller, Walker, and Justin.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2016, 06:59 PM
Davis & Bouie...

/thread...

In 1994, Davis ran for 929 & Bowie ran for 896.

94 may be the gold standard.

I think there's a solid chance that we set the school record for single season rushing yards next year

msstate7
12-10-2016, 07:10 PM
In 2000...

Miller -- 996 rushing, 344 rec, 1340 total
Walker -- 795 rush, 157 rec, 886 total
Griffith -- 136 rush, 240 rec, 376 total

Loved that group, but check this out...

Fitz -- 1243 rush
Aeris -- 656 rush

Miller + Walker = 1791 rushing in '00
Fitz + aeris = 1899 this year

DownwardDawg
12-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Davis & Bouie...

/thread...

Boom!!!! I'll never forget that rotation.

preachermatt83
12-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Hill will Redshirt. The RB will be

ATrain
Lee
Gibson.

Murphy is better than Lee and Gibson to me but he won't play.

Bodawg
12-10-2016, 07:42 PM
Then you have to figure Mixon into the group as a change of pace back. Mullen's gonna have a lot to work with next season.

TUSK
12-10-2016, 07:46 PM
Boom!!!! I'll never forget that rotation.

late 90s MSU run game was nuthin' to sneeze at, either... 97-99ish....

James effin' Johnson....

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2016, 07:55 PM

ATrain
Lee
Gibson.

I just don't see Hill redshirting. Maybe he does, but the player I saw on the field today can help us next year

Bothrops
12-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Murphy is better than Lee and Gibson to me but he won't play.[/QUOTE]

Why not?

Jarius
12-10-2016, 08:41 PM
If we play Hill in a 3rd string role our coach has lost his mind. He needs to be the #2 back or redshirt.

smootness
12-10-2016, 08:53 PM
If Hill's as good as he looks, he won't be around for 5 years. Not much need for a redshirt.

Jarius
12-10-2016, 08:57 PM
I would rather take the chance of him leaving a year early rather than burn his Redshirt for 2 carries a game as the 3rd string tailback. If he is able to be the primary backup that is different.

bulldawg28
12-10-2016, 09:07 PM

ATrain
Lee
Gibson.

Murphy isn't better than those guys

bulldawg28
12-10-2016, 09:10 PM

Fred Reid was . The next year Nick Turner, Jerious Norwood, Walker, and Griffith were the backs. All played in the NFL or CFL with the exception of Turner who was the most talented of the group

Dolphus Raymond
12-10-2016, 09:24 PM
I miss old school SEC football. Run, run, and pass when you have to. The game sure has evolved.

DownwardDawg
12-10-2016, 09:26 PM
I miss old school SEC football. Run, run, and pass when you have to. The game sure has evolved.

Man I so agree with you! We are old school.

lamont
12-10-2016, 09:29 PM
I just don't see Hill redshirting. Maybe he does, but the player I saw on the field today can help us next year

Mullen has never played a true freshman RB that I remember. It takes 1 1/2 years to learn how to pass block in our offense

thf24
12-10-2016, 09:47 PM
Mullen has never played a true freshman RB that I remember.

Shump

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2016, 09:55 PM
Mullen has never played a true freshman RB that I remember. It takes 1 1/2 years to learn how to pass block in our offense

Mullen has also not yet had a RB this good. Unless Gibson was this good, but he played so little, I'm not sure

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Bomb TD pass by Key.

This JR WR for LW is a bad ass. We really need Key to help land him. High 4 star/ 5 star type kid.

Key is awesome. Hard to believe there's a better QB talent in America. He's just a little raw & not a showcase, 7 on 7 pony like the Pattersons of the world. He's got every tool

Think Daunte Culpepper with quicker feet. Hell of a talent. Mullen has to be drooling sheesh

TimberBeast
12-10-2016, 11:15 PM

ATrain
Lee
Gibson.

Exactly, hill has to redshirt. No way he doesn't.

TimberBeast
12-10-2016, 11:17 PM
Mullen has also not yet had a RB this good. Unless Gibson was this good, but he played so little, I'm not sure

Aeris is good enough but he didn't even play over Holloway last year. AND it took Holloway getting hurt for AW to start this year. Redshirt is automatic.

TimberBeast
12-10-2016, 11:19 PM
Man I so agree with you! We are old school.

What? We throw on first down all the damn time. It's sickening. We throw the ball on 3rd and 2. We are completely anti old school running football. It's my main issue with Mullen.

Ari Gold
12-10-2016, 11:27 PM
Hill won't redshirt
There will prob be some attrition at the RB position

CarolinaDawgs
12-11-2016, 07:16 AM
What? We throw on first down all the damn time. It's sickening. We throw the ball on 3rd and 2. We are completely anti old school running football. It's my main issue with Mullen.

You read this out of context. Get your panties out of a wad.

DownwardDawg
12-11-2016, 07:34 AM

Epic reading comprehension fail. Lol
Go back and look at what I was responding to. I was saying that me and Dolphus are old school because we miss the days of run, run, run, run!!!!!!!

Thick
12-11-2016, 08:08 AM
Murphy might not be playing RB next year if he stays at MSU. Staff is trying to convince him to move to the defensive side of the ball...LB

Johnson85
12-11-2016, 08:52 AM
In 1994, Davis ran for 929 & Bowie ran for 896.

94 may be the gold standard.

I think there's a solid chance that we set the school record for single season rushing yards next year

Wasn't Fred McCrary also ok that team? He had the longest nfl career of any of them.

Coldsleeve Jr.
12-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Davis & Bouie...

/thread...

My favorite backfield ever.

I remember one time at a game when Hank Flick was doing the PA system. After a Bouie run his voice came on loud speaker..."7 yard gain on a run by Kevin Booty..." Then he quickly corrected himself..."BOUIE rather!!" I was 14 so it was pretty funny at the time.

justwin
12-11-2016, 02:39 PM
Williams
Gibson
Hill

I'm not even sure Mullen can screw this up by playing the wrong guy.

Have we ever had three better backs than this at one time? If so, which year & who?

How would you use them?

Is there any drop off between all three of them?

If Clyde-Edwards Helaire also comes, then sheesh

The absence of "wasted" players in the rotation will be why our RBs (not including QBs) probably lead the SEC in rushing in 2017. For context, we'll run the ball ~550 times in 2017 with ~200 to Fitz + ~200 to Aeris + ~50 to slot WR sweeps (Dear/Mixon). So, the remaining 100 should be split between Lee/Gibson/Hill.

I would use them by ensuring that Aeris gets ~25 carries/game or 6 carries / quarter in the 8 SEC games. I then would have Lee fill the blocker & runner role aside AW and get him 1-2 carries a quarter or 6 / game but play in every game. People need to realize that Lee and one of our 6 bigass TEs will be hell as blockers greatly helping the right side of our OL. Then, I'd have Gibson and Hill get to play a full drive each half of every game spelling either Lee or Aeris. I would try to ensure that Hill & Gibson get around 30 carries total each vs charleston/La tech/BYU/UMASS to get them a few tds and confident for 2018 in case Aeris goes pro after 2017. Aeris is going into his 4th year of college.

No, I would not redshirt Hill. I want to see what we have in Lee & I can see him just wearing out a tired defense & kind of make them quit with fresh legs, namely Auburn, TXAM, Georgia, and OM. We have LSU & Bama at home which will be nice.

I would put our top 4 RBs against any other top 4 in the West. Yes, each of the teams in the West have a bellcow, but none have what we have in our top 4. In terms of starzzz, AW/Gibson/HIll were 4 stars and Lee won a HS state championship being the all everything guy.

If I had to rank the bellcows of the West going into 2017:
Guice ~ he's just so electric and knows how to score TDs.
Rawleigh Williams ~ any of our 4 would match his production @ Ark. He's playing at the dream school & coach for power RBs so he's going to get fed.
Aeris & Pettway as a tie. Aeris b/c his all around talent/vision & Pettway due to his shear brute power. Given the same # of snaps, I think they have equivalent stats/leadership for their teams.
whoever plays for Bama
whoever plays for TXAM

big gap

OM's guy (even if its Akers)

I cannot wait for 2017 due to our RB personnel. Surely, Knox can't **** this up.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-11-2016, 08:05 PM
State has had a ton of backs over the years. All the way back to Micheal Davis and Kevin bouie. Just imo only. The most talented back that state produced was Jerious Norwood. I never saw anyone else to compare him to and just think if he had a great offensive line in front of him.

Todd4State
12-11-2016, 08:17 PM
The absence of "wasted" players in the rotation will be why our RBs (not including QBs) probably lead the SEC in rushing in 2017. For context, we'll run the ball ~550 times in 2017 with ~200 to Fitz + ~200 to Aeris + ~50 to slot WR sweeps (Dear/Mixon). So, the remaining 100 should be split between Lee/Gibson/Hill.

I would use them by ensuring that Aeris gets ~25 carries/game or 6 carries / quarter in the 8 SEC games. I then would have Lee fill the blocker & runner role aside AW and get him 1-2 carries a quarter or 6 / game but play in every game. People need to realize that Lee and one of our 6 bigass TEs will be hell as blockers greatly helping the right side of our OL. Then, I'd have Gibson and Hill get to play a full drive each half of every game spelling either Lee or Aeris. I would try to ensure that Hill & Gibson get around 30 carries total each vs charleston/La tech/BYU/UMASS to get them a few tds and confident for 2018 in case Aeris goes pro after 2017. Aeris is going into his 4th year of college.

No, I would not redshirt Hill. I want to see what we have in Lee & I can see him just wearing out a tired defense & kind of make them quit with fresh legs, namely Auburn, TXAM, Georgia, and OM. We have LSU & Bama at home which will be nice.

I would put our top 4 RBs against any other top 4 in the West. Yes, each of the teams in the West have a bellcow, but none have what we have in our top 4. In terms of starzzz, AW/Gibson/HIll were 4 stars and Lee won a HS state championship being the all everything guy.

If I had to rank the bellcows of the West going into 2017:
Guice ~ he's just so electric and knows how to score TDs.
Rawleigh Williams ~ any of our 4 would match his production @ Ark. He's playing at the dream school & coach for power RBs so he's going to get fed.
Aeris & Pettway as a tie. Aeris b/c his all around talent/vision & Pettway due to his shear brute power. Given the same # of snaps, I think they have equivalent stats/leadership for their teams.
whoever plays for Bama
whoever plays for TXAM

big gap

OM's guy (even if its Akers)

I cannot wait for 2017 due to our RB personnel. Surely, Knox can't **** this up.

I like the way you think.

lamont
12-11-2016, 08:26 PM
we're replacing 3 OL starters including our Center. I'll temper my enthusiasm for the run game. 2011 and 2015 are the 2 seasons under Mullen we had to replace our Center- both seasons saw us having trouble offensively

HoopsDawg
12-11-2016, 09:08 PM
we're replacing 3 OL starters including our Center. I'll temper my enthusiasm for the run game. 2011 and 2015 are the 2 seasons under Mullen we had to replace our Center- both seasons saw us having trouble offensively

And we're giving practice reps to Rankin and Jenkins at center, 2 guys who won't be playing center for us. At the same time, other than Calhoun, I don't know who I feel good about at Center.

And Senior was a good RT for us this year, his 5th year in the program and 3rd year starting. No clue who will play RT.

msstate7
12-11-2016, 09:14 PM
And we're giving practice reps to Rankin and Jenkins at center, 2 guys who won't be playing center for us. At the same time, other than Calhoun, I don't know who I feel good about at Center.

And Senior was a good RT for us this year, his 5th year in the program and 3rd year starting. No clue who will play RT.

Worse case scenario...

LT - Rankin
LG - Story/Reese
C - Calhoun
RG - champion/Reese
RT - Jenkins

Any word on D. Williams?

HoopsDawg
12-11-2016, 09:18 PM
Worse case scenario...

LT - Rankin
LG - Story/Reese
C - Calhoun
RG - champion/Reese
RT - Jenkins

Any word on D. Williams?

But honestly, Story, Calhoun at Center, and Champion are all question marks. And with Jenkins you may be talking about an All-SEC guard and making him an average tackle. I'm with Random in that I wish we would leave our left side alone.

msstate7
12-11-2016, 09:28 PM
But honestly, Story, Calhoun at Center, and Champion are all question marks. And with Jenkins you may be talking about an All-SEC guard and making him an average tackle. I'm with Random in that I wish we would leave our left side alone.

Best case scenario is eiland, Parker, Moon, or Suggs could man RT next season. That would be great if one of those guys in their freshman year could be ready.

lamont
12-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Worse case scenario...

LT - Rankin
LG - Story/Reese
C - Calhoun
RG - champion/Reese
RT - Jenkins

Any word on D. Williams?

that OL will win 7 games at best if everything goes perfect

coachnorm
12-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Are you sure you need a rotation? What about E. Elliot at Ohio St or Dallas? Williams should carry until someone out performs him.

lamont
12-11-2016, 09:41 PM
Best case scenario is to leave the left side of the OL the **** alone- and figure out the rest

lamont
12-11-2016, 09:41 PM
Are you sure you need a rotation? What about E. Elliot at Ohio St or Dallas? Williams should carry until someone out performs him.

Norm- we talking OL

coachnorm
12-11-2016, 09:46 PM
Norm- we talking OL

Guess I'll pull my head out of my but. Thanks

msstate7
12-11-2016, 09:51 PM
that OL will win 7 games at best if everything goes perfect

Thus, "worst case"... need a RT to emerge

GTHOM
12-11-2016, 10:34 PM
I would be shocked if Hill doesnt redshirt. He is legit though. Carried Columbus on his back for 2 years at least. All SEC potential

Todd4State
12-11-2016, 11:08 PM
Best case scenario is to leave the left side of the OL the **** alone- and figure out the rest

Exactly. You would think our coaches would see that and not even entertain moving Rankin or Jenkins. I'm a little surprised that they aren't looking at Story for center so he must not be able to snap the ball worth a darn or can't make calls at the line or something critical.