PDA

View Full Version : What Is The #1 RB in the Country Worth to UM?

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2016, 05:38 PM
Some Ole Miss fans have bought into the narrative that Freeze fired Werner because Cam Akers was unsure about how the RB position was used in their offense & that bringing in a new OC that knew how to run the football is Freeze's last ditch effort to land Cam Akers.

Now, we all know that this narrative is 100% loony, delusional, ridiculous, & the epitome of burying ones head in the sand. However, lets put all that aside for just a moment & take the narrative at face value.

How much is the #1 running back in the country worth in terms of firing assistants & altering the offense to fit his skill set?

- Over the past 3 years, Ole Miss' offense has finished 31st, 10th, & 54th in the country in total offense

- In the NFL, RBs make on average the least amount of money of any position group, even behind kickers & punters. Short careers equal a lack of investment.

- Bucky Brooks of NFL.com ranks running backs as the 7th most important position on the field.

- Bleacher Report ranks the RB as the 11th most important position in the NFL.

- During Leonard Fournette's (Who is more talented than Cam Akers) 3 year career at LSU, the Tigers, who are far more talented position for position than Ole Miss, finished 7-4, 9-3, & 8-5.

Look, we'd all love to have Cam Akers on our team, but how many staff & schematic changes would be appropriate to make for a RB?

Would it be dumb for a coach to fire an OC to acquire a RB?

Wondering what some of the coaches on the board would do?

t45fixer
12-09-2016, 05:42 PM
Good post! Brings in reality to the situation. They fired him because they are screwed.

Dawg61
12-09-2016, 05:44 PM
You're talking about a man that is as desperate as you can get to keep his job. What is the one single position for Old Misses that could have the biggest impact that could save him his job? It's RB. If he signs a stud RB to go along with Shae Shae and whatever is left of that WR group they will have a nasty offense good enough to save Bucky his job for a bit. I see why he's putting all his eggs into that basket as they are the only eggs he has left and that basket is his only chance to keep his job for now.

Covercorner2
12-09-2016, 05:45 PM
Some Ole Miss fans have bought into the narrative that Freeze fired Werner because Cam Akers was unsure about how the RB position was used in their offense & that bringing in a new OC that knew how to run the football is Freeze's last ditch effort to land Cam Akers.

Now, we all know that this narrative is 100% loony, delusional, ridiculous, & the epitome of burying ones head in the sand. However, lets put all that aside for just a moment & take the narrative at face value.

How much is the #1 running back in the country worth in terms of firing assistants & altering the offense to fit his skill set?

- Over the past 3 years, Ole Miss' offense has finished 31st, 10th, & 54th in the country in total offense

- In the NFL, RBs make on average the least amount of money of any position group, even behind kickers & punters. Short careers equal a lack of investment.

- Bucky Brooks of NFL.com ranks running backs as the 7th most important position on the field.

- During Leonard Fournette's (Who is more talented than Cam Akers) 3 year career at LSU, the Tigers, who are far more talented position for position than Ole Miss, finished 7-4, 9-3, & 8-5.

Look, we'd all love to have Cam Akers on our team, but how many staff & schematic changes would be appropriate to make for a RB?

While I agree with you on most points, and that would be very short-sighted, I think using NFL valuation of the RB position isn't the best way to gauge the impact.

RB is much more important in college than NFL. Just look at Heisman trophy winners vs. NFL MVPs. NFL is a QB-driven, pass rushing league. College Football will always have more run element and less talent meaning a stud RB can make more impact.

BB30
12-09-2016, 05:47 PM
They are idiots if they truly believe that nonsense. And actually I would really be ok with that being the reasoning as it speaks to a much larger issue that ole miss would have. Werner got fired because Ole miss is trying to do everything possible to protect appearance before the house comes crashing down. This whole situation will provide entertainment, hopefully for years to come.

msstate7
12-09-2016, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure about their offense, but think about the difference in our offense with Perkins, shump, and Holloway vs Ballard, jrob, and aeris

Todd4State
12-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Well, if that is the case it wouldn't be the first time Ole Miss did this or tried to do it. Brewer switched to a pass first offense when he was recruiting Peyton Manning and of course they hired Cutcliffe with Eli heavily on their mind- whom they also fired one year post Eli. Honestly, I wonder if some of this has to do with Patterson as well because that offense isn't suited well for QB development either. I wonder if his Dad has complained some about that. The thing is what they do on offense is probably the best fit for their players and their coaches as well. Freeze running anything else would likely end up like Croom.

Todd4State
12-09-2016, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure about their offense, but think about the difference in our offense with Perkins, shump, and Holloway vs Ballard, jrob, and aeris

Yes, but a lot of that is HOW they are used moreso than the fact that their actual role. And even with Perkins and Holloway not being used optimally we still typically put up good offensive numbers relative to the league even though if used properly they would be even better.

Plus if Aeris went down, I honestly don't think we would miss much of a beat with Lee, Gibson, or Hill as the primary running back. That's factored into the value of the position as well.

blacklistedbully
12-09-2016, 05:55 PM
You're talking about a man that is as desperate as you can get to keep his job. What is the one single position for Old Misses that could have the biggest impact that could save him his job? It's RB. If he signs a stud RB to go along with Shae Shae and whatever is left of that WR group they will have a nasty offense good enough to save Bucky his job for a bit. I see why he's putting all his eggs into that basket as they are the only eggs he has left and that basket is his only chance to keep his job for now.

Shit. I actually have to give you credit for a good post.

Dawg61
12-09-2016, 06:03 PM
Yes, but a lot of that is HOW they are used moreso than the fact that their actual role. And even with Perkins and Holloway not being used optimally we still typically put up good offensive numbers relative to the league even though if used properly they would be even better.

Plus if Aeris went down, I honestly don't think we would miss much of a beat with Lee, Gibson, or Hill as the primary running back. That's factored into the value of the position as well.

You're missing the point. 7 didn't even go greedy and say "imagine our offense with Todd Gurley or Zeke Elliot" he just gave you an example of how much better our offense has been with us upgrading the RB position in those years. Would we have more than 5 wins if Zeke Elliot is our RB this year? When you sign the #1 RB you're expecting him to be a difference maker. It's a desperate attempt by Old Misses but it's kinda the only attempt they have left to immediately impact next season for them.

Dawgbite
12-09-2016, 06:04 PM
We ran the football down there throats and embarrassed them. Now they have to get a RB and be able to run the ball. It's called envy, little brother syndrome.

Dawg61
12-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Shit. I actually have to give you credit for a good post.

Rep given

klong-dog
12-09-2016, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, just to please the sheep with the signing of Akers, that Bucky let's Cam name the OC between the short list Bucky would have up as possibilities. Thinking if he got final say, he would sign.

IMissJack
12-09-2016, 06:23 PM
I would say RB's are more valuable in college (more importantly the SEC West) than the NFL for sure. Would love to have him.

SDDawg
12-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Freeze has no chance in hell in getting Akers. Anyone saying they do is wasting their time.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2016, 06:31 PM

I get your points, but Shump, Holloway, and Perkins weren't adequate running backs.

Since Ballard & Aeris are adequate SEC backs, how much better would our offense be with Akers instead of those guys?

archdog
12-09-2016, 06:36 PM
Probably pretty good. How good was GA when they had Chubb going off every week. Their passing numbers were pretty good as well.

Spiderman
12-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Freeze has no chance in hell in getting Akers. Anyone saying they do is wasting their time.

Never say never.

SailingDawg
12-09-2016, 07:42 PM

The only chance he has is if Akers has problems getting into college. Anyone know if he's qualified? Surely he has, but intelligence (beyond the classroom) will play a big factor in whether he goes to Ohio State or Ole Miss.

msstate7
12-09-2016, 07:45 PM
The only chance he has is if Akers has problems getting into college. Anyone know if he's qualified? Surely he has, but intelligence (beyond the classroom) will play a big factor in whether he goes to Ohio State or Ole Miss.
Isn't he an EE?

Spiderman
12-09-2016, 07:46 PM

The kid should go to Bama and win the Heisman.

dawgoneyall
12-09-2016, 08:02 PM

Disagree somewhat but RB's are more numerous/easier to obtain. Would be rare that someone (RB) has the talent that is a complete game changer.
Dallas is not what they are this year without Dak but they aren't what they are without Nelson.....but Nelson is a unique talent until he gets hurt then they can more easily replace Nelson than they can replace Dak.

Cooterpoot
12-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Akers isn't the best RB in the country. Hell, he's never even played RB. And who the hell is this Nelson guy playing for Dallas? He must be some kind of injured freak, because I've never seen him.

Bass Chaser
12-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Disagree somewhat but RB's are more numerous/easier to obtain. Would be rare that someone (RB) has the talent that is a complete game changer.
Dallas is not what they are this year without Dak but they aren't what they are without Nelson.....but Nelson is a unique talent until he gets hurt then they can more easily replace Nelson than they can replace Dak.

Who's Nelson?

msstate7
12-09-2016, 08:51 PM
Akers isn't the best RB in the country. Hell, he's never even played RB. And who the hell is this Nelson guy playing for Dallas? He must be some kind of injured freak, because I've never seen him.

Gotta be talking about Elliot.

justwin
12-09-2016, 09:28 PM
In terms of actual dollars, I say $500K spread over $125K per year. Years 1-4 will be new job for Mom (or primary care giver) for ~$50K + $50K cash ($1k / week) + $25K car.

This doesn't include lodging, meals, etc.

msbulldog
12-10-2016, 08:58 AM
Yep.

defiantdog
12-10-2016, 09:31 AM
The kid should go to Bama and win the Heisman.
Najee Harris and Brian Robinson are both ahead of Akers as far as experience. Saban told Akers that he'd have to redshirt to get a grasp on the position. Blocking, reads, etc. I doubt Akers wants to redshirt.

Dallas_Dawg
12-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Najee Harris and Brian Robinson are both ahead of Akers as far as experience. Saban told Akers that he'd have to redshirt to get a grasp on the position. Blocking, reads, etc. I doubt Akers wants to redshirt.

Wouldn't be able to play for Mullenz till end of R-So season****

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Well, after watching the MS/AL All Star game, Akers has a chance to be really good in time, but, if Ole Miss fired their OC to get a project RB, that's about one of the dumbest staffing decisions in recent history.