PDA

View Full Version : Key Thompson

preachermatt83
12-09-2016, 02:34 PM
Is being heavily recruited all of the sudden by... Guess who?? Lol. And they say we are obsessed with them.

louisvilledawg
12-09-2016, 02:39 PM
Ole Miss?

That makes 0 sense

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Ole Miss?

That makes 0 sense

Makes a ton of sense. He's 1 of the best QB's in the South. They have no shot but I know why they're recruiting him.

Lance Harbor
12-09-2016, 02:45 PM
LSU too.

msstate7
12-09-2016, 02:46 PM
When does Thompson enroll here?

Covercorner2
12-09-2016, 02:47 PM
LSU too.

And Oregon. But hes a 3 star, LOL.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2016, 02:52 PM
LOL

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2016, 02:54 PM
LSU, Oregon, OM, TN, & Missouri have all been trying to get in with Keytaon this last month but he hasn't had an in-home with any of them. He's the definition of a solid commit.

Dawgface
12-09-2016, 02:56 PM
LSU, Oregon, OM, TN, & Missouri have all been trying to get in with Keytaon this last month but he hasn't had an in-home with any of them. He's the definition of a solid commit.

Good to hear.

Ari Gold
12-09-2016, 02:56 PM
We have a better chance of getting Cam Akers than they do at getting KT.

louisvilledawg
12-09-2016, 03:04 PM
Makes a ton of sense. He's 1 of the best QB's in the South. They have no shot but I know why they're recruiting him.

No i completely agree from a talent standpoint. guess i didn't convey what i was trying to get across.

I meant for him i wouldn't even entertain that idea. My bad

defiantdog
12-09-2016, 03:05 PM
5 days

msstate7
12-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Dak took over RS soph year
Nick took over RS soph year
Thompson should be all set to take over RS soph year

If it works out like we hope, we could have a 9 year run of qb play that's among the best in the country. Hopefully it works out

Coldsleeve Jr.
12-09-2016, 03:10 PM

Very Dak'ish of him. My kind of dawg.

I seen it dawg
12-09-2016, 03:11 PM
Thompson to State.

There that should take care of it.

preachermatt83
12-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Thompson to State.

There that should take care of it.

Lol!!

KentuckyDawg13
12-09-2016, 03:13 PM
Never realized until now that Keytaon goes to the same high school (Landry-Walker) as Lamar Peters did.

Glad he is an early enrollee.

anubus
12-09-2016, 03:20 PM
They know Shae butter will be bye bye soon.Ole Miss is like a damned roach I want that NCAA investigation to drag on for a while its like waterboarding for them

confucius say
12-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Kt is playing in championship game this Saturday I believe. Anybody know if it will be streamed?

Cary Hudson's little bro
12-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Never realized until now that Keytaon goes to the same high school (Landry-Walker) as Lamar Peters did.

People don't realize how KT is a big fish in a big pond! Check this out! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcuxvR5H7CA)

MStateDawg
12-09-2016, 03:25 PM

If it works out like we hope, we could have a 9 year run of qb play that's among the best in the country. Hopefully it works out

Hard to see Thompson redshirting next year considering he is an early enrollee and he and Fitz will be the only 2 scholarship QBs on the roster.

HSVDawg
12-09-2016, 03:28 PM

Thompson will likely take over his Junior year, because from the looks of it we are not going to have the luxury of redshirting him.

ETA: MStateDawg beat me to it.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Hard to see Thompson redshirting next year considering he is an early enrollee and he and Fitz will be the only 2 scholarship QBs on the roster.

Unless Fitz is hurt & going to be out multiple games Keytaon should RS. We can find anyone to take a few snaps in mop up duty.

HSVDawg
12-09-2016, 03:32 PM
Unless Fitz is hurt & going to be out multiple games Keytaon should RS. We can find anyone to take a few snaps in mop up duty.

Who said anything about mop up duty? You've got to have at least 2 QB's ready to play at all times, especially in Mullen's offense. Unless you think Wyatt Roberts is better than a freshmen Thompson, we've got to get him up to speed.

BrunswickDawg
12-09-2016, 03:33 PM

You would think Last Chance Wyatt would be able to handle some trash time QB instead of burning a shirt.

confucius say
12-09-2016, 03:35 PM
Don't burn his redshirt unless him playing would likely determine the game. Have him prepared to play if need be, but try to avoid playing him if you can

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-09-2016, 03:38 PM
what are the chances the Sheavior is gone, seriously?

DownwardDawg
12-09-2016, 03:38 PM
You would think Last Chance Wyatt would be able to handle some trash time QB instead of burning a shirt.

The poster is not talking about trash time playing. He's talking about if Fitz gets hurt in a must win game, say against Kentucky, BYU, etc.....
We would need a real QB at that time. Not someone for mop up duty.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-09-2016, 03:39 PM
yes. Here is a good article about Key and Landry Walker and the game will be streamed here. http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/article/-3233927804492603415/landry-walker-50-destrehan-14-keytaon-thompson-tevin-bush-roll-on-to-the-dome/

smootness
12-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Who said anything about mop up duty? You've got to have at least 2 QB's ready to play at all times, especially in Mullen's offense. Unless you think Wyatt Roberts is better than a freshmen Thompson, we've got to get him up to speed.

Your redshirt isn't off until you actually step on the field, right? So we could have Thompson practice like he's the backup and dress out but not actually use him unless it becomes necessary in a game.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2016, 03:46 PM

Keytaon will dress out every game because he's the 3rd guy. If it was up to me he wouldn't step a pinky on that field unless Fitz is hurt & is going to be out for multiple games.

Really Clark?
Why don't we table the back up QB discussion until we see how it plays out closer to signing day in Feb

Coursesuper

Da West Bank is Da Best bank.

HSVDawg
12-09-2016, 03:57 PM
Your redshirt isn't off until you actually step on the field, right? So we could have Thompson practice like he's the backup and dress out but not actually use him unless it becomes necessary in a game.

Agree with this....to an extent. It just has to be understood that if we are driving w/no timeouts for a game winning TD late in the 4th quarter at Auburn, and something as small as Fitz's helmet comes off on a run means Thompson has to go in. As a coach, do you really want that to be the kid's first collegiate snap? In my opinion you have to make the redshirt or no redshirt decision early and go with it. You can only get so much from practice and will eventually need game reps. And therefore you need to get him those reps in a more controlled situation so that he is ready if/when Mullen doesn't have a choice.

Dawg61
12-09-2016, 04:05 PM

Last Chance U baby!!

FISHDAWG
12-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Very Dak'ish of him. My kind of dawg.

eggsactly what I was thinking

HSVDawg
12-09-2016, 04:18 PM
Why don't we table the back up QB discussion until we see how it plays out closer to signing day in Feb

Are we even looking at any other QB's?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2016, 04:26 PM

Yep

Really Clark?
12-09-2016, 04:27 PM

Not right now we aren't, we have Key*

DownwardDawg
12-09-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm just ready for him to enroll.

Jack Lambert
12-09-2016, 04:47 PM

He wants to get to the NFL as a QB. Mullen is his ticket.

Lance Harbor
12-09-2016, 05:26 PM
He wants to get to the NFL as a QB. Mullen is his ticket.

It's crazy that Mullen can sell having three QB's he's coached as NFL starters right now. Now only if he could say that about Offensive Lineman.

msbulldog
12-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Kt is playing in championship game this Saturday I believe. Anybody know if it will be streamed?

SR said it is on somewhere go to nola.com for listing, I maybe wrong about the sight listen to today's Boneyard on BSR.

blacklistedbully
12-09-2016, 06:13 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what Wyatt Roberts looks like in Spring, and hopefully in mop-up duty. Let's not forget at EMCC he beat out FSU transfer and current AU QB Franklin.

Even if he's not a prototypical SEC dual-threat QB, he may be pretty damned good. Seems to have a history of exceeding expectations.

I wouldn't be surprised if he winds up being a damn good #2 for us.

lamont
12-09-2016, 06:21 PM
I hope we do whatever we can to RS Thompson. But if not- he will be ready to roll full speed after Fitz gets drafted

msstate7
12-09-2016, 06:41 PM
I hope we do whatever we can to RS Thompson. But if not- he will be ready to roll full speed after Fitz gets drafted

You saying fitz drafted next season?

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2016, 06:48 PM

Fitz is a great college QB but he's nowhere near capable yet of picking teams apart from the pocket.

At best, after next year, he has something less than Cardale Jones' draft value. Has tools but way raw.

NFL stands for "Not For Long", so you better make sure ready before going

SDDawg
12-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Freeze has such a "little man" syndrome it's unreal. F*ck that dude.

Turfdawg67
12-09-2016, 07:30 PM

I'm sure more schools take notice when Dan recruits a QB.

msstate7
12-09-2016, 07:35 PM
I'm sure more schools take notice when Dan recruits a QB.

The problem is they can't mold them like dan can. I can use the same canvas, brush, and paint as van Gogh, but I ain't van Gogh.

I seen it dawg
12-09-2016, 07:43 PM

Annnndddddthats what practice is for. He will be ready to play just won't play unless we have to burn his redshirt. It's got nothing to do with Roberts at all. Fitz could take every single snap next season for us if all goes as planned.

BiscuitEater
12-09-2016, 07:43 PM
SR said it is on somewhere go to nola.com for listing, I maybe wrong about the sight listen to today's Boneyard on BSR.

Think that the Advocate is going to stream it. Will add a new thread and link when/if they do. Here is their capsule of the game.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/high_schools/article_37e75496-bdcd-11e6-9aaf-df61db1b1726.html?sr_source=lift_amplify

I seen it dawg
12-09-2016, 07:46 PM
Agree with this....to an extent. It just has to be understood that if we are driving w/no timeouts for a game winning TD late in the 4th quarter at Auburn, and something as small as Fitz's helmet comes off on a run means Thompson has to go in. As a coach, do you really want that to be the kid's first collegiate snap? In my opinion you have to make the redshirt or no redshirt decision early and go with it. You can only get so much from practice and will eventually need game reps. And therefore you need to get him those reps in a more controlled situation so that he is ready if/when Mullen doesn't have a choice.

Run Roberts in there. He's had a collegiate snap albeit Juco. You aren't burning a RS for a helmet coming off.

Commercecomet24
12-09-2016, 09:16 PM

Looking like Dak 2.0 in the keeping his word,loyalty dept. Love having young men who's word is their bond!

HSVDawg
12-09-2016, 09:46 PM
Run Roberts in there. He's had a collegiate snap albeit Juco. You aren't burning a RS for a helmet coming off.

The helmet coming off was just one example. Any number of things could happen (most likely an injury) that would lead to unexpected playing time in a tight situation. Maybe Roberts as a senior is equal or at least is a minimal drop off from Thompson as a Freshmen....if so, I'm all for it. But if Thompson is the guy that can lead us (should Fitz go down) and we know he is ready, Mullen might consider getting him snaps early. Honestly I wouldn't fault him either way.

Dolphus Raymond
12-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Serious question. Who in the SEC, present or recent history, can develop a QB better than Dan Mullen? Steve Spurrier maybe?

Commercecomet24
12-09-2016, 10:08 PM
Serious question. Who in the SEC, present or recent history, can develop a QB better than Dan Mullen? Steve Spurrier maybe?

Spurrier developed great college qbs but they didn't have success in the NFL. Dans boys are doing both. I get what you're saying about coaches developing qbs and spurrier about the only one I can think close to Dan. And he's our coach! Who would've ever thunk State would have the best qb developer in the country!

HSVDawg
12-09-2016, 10:28 PM

In the SEC? Hard to say. You could honestly make an argument that Dak is the best QB to come out of the SEC since Peyton, albeit it is still a really small sample size. Its either him, Eli, or Cam Newton. When you are talking about QB development, I think that is more about the mental side and fundamentals than anything, and Cam has still been mostly successful just because of size and athleticism. So, I'd put Dak and Eli both above Cam, with a slight nod to Dak based on early returns and some admitted bias. So to answer your question, I'd say Mullen, Meyer, and Cutcliffe are probably the ones you have to put up there as best developers of QB's. Spurrier was more of a system guy in his heyday, and none of his QB's really had much success in the NFL. That disqualifies him in my opinion. That leaves Dan as the best in the SEC right now, hands down. Arguably the best in the country.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2016, 10:34 PM

Cutcliffe would be the only other one that could compare.

Wish I knew why, due to Dan's QB development, he didn't attract better WRs?

It would seem to me that a coach that virtually guaranteed to WRs that he'd have a competent QB, would be able to attract top receivers. Not sure why that correlation doesn't exist.

I think part of Dan's magic with QBs is due to the structure of the offense itself. Because the QBs are asked to run, they become tougher & have something to lean on while their passing game develops. It builds confidence & decisiveness.

HSVDawg
12-09-2016, 10:47 PM
Wish I knew why, due to Dan's QB development, he didn't attract better WRs?

It would seem to me that a coach that virtually guaranteed to WRs that he'd have a competent QB, would be able to attract top receivers. Not sure why that correlation doesn't exist.

Great question. We haven't had a WR drafted in 22 years, which is pretty unreal when you think about it. It also goes to show it hasn't been just a Mullen problem. Hopefully Ross will break the drought next April.