PDA

View Full Version : A friend still coaching HS football in MS

Bodaski
12-09-2016, 01:27 PM
I coached football in MS for over 25 years. I had to retire in 2008 due to a terminal illness, but stay in contact with ole coaching buddies. What I'm going to tell you bears out to be true. We were talking recruiting and the different approaches different schools use in recruiting. We specifically compared MSU and OM and their different methods. My buddy said and I quote, " I'm not a big fan of Mullen basically because of his arrogance, but he has improved over the years. One thing I can say is DM doesn't promise kids anything but an opportunity to play and it's totally up to the player". He went on to say "OM is very secretive and will tell a kid exactly what they want to hear concerning playing time". He said this really got his attention in watching how the drafted NFL kids from each school have performed compared to the 5* guys that were promised the world and had no clue how to work to be successful in the NFL. He said his High school players are taking notice of what goes on at each school to prepare them to be NFL players if that is their dream. He also thinks OM is dirty. By the way he's got a good player that is a Jr. Who will be a dandy dozen guy I believe next year. Thought you guys might enjoy our conversation.

I seen it dawg
12-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Good stuff. And more and more prevalent we hear it.

SailingDawg
12-09-2016, 01:35 PM
Confidence = Arrogance to many people, especially in the south. Freeze's good 'ol boy attitude sells mom (along with a bag of cash) but there's no coaching ability up there.

I'm glad kids (and their coaches?) are noticing Mullen's ability to develop players for the next level. It's obvious the Bulldog staff has been doing well from the many NFL Bulldogs who are playing today.

Also glad to know you're still going strong after retiring eight years ago!

cujo
12-09-2016, 01:57 PM
If it was diagnosed almost nine years ago. Keep it up!

BrunswickDawg
12-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Confidence = Arrogance to many people, especially in the south. Freeze's good 'ol boy attitude sells mom (along with a bag of cash) but there's no coaching ability up there.

I'm glad kids (and their coaches?) are noticing Mullen's ability to develop players for the next level. It's obvious the Bulldog staff has been doing well from the many NFL Bulldogs who are playing today.

Also glad to know you're still going strong after retiring eight years ago!

As someone who gets tagged with the "arrogant" term sometimes, I can understand it. I'm as southern as you get, but I don't BS much. I don't start my conversion with 20 minutes of "how's mom and them?"; I don't care who you are eating chicken with this Sunday. I'm talking to you as an expert in my field. If you don't want to hear what I have to say, I'll probably cut the conversation short instead of BSing you into listening to me. If you don't want my help/advice/expertise, then good luck, because I know more about my field than anyone else in this shit hole town and you will probably get bad help/advice/expertise and pay more for it. Your finished project will not meet its full potential, and you will be left wondering why you didn't listen to me. My projects will always perform better than yours, and will get state/regional/national awards, and that is why I'm the expert.

So yeah, I see why some people find Dan arrogant.

tireddawg
12-09-2016, 02:07 PM
All I could focus on is the fact that you're still with us. That's great! Good luck going forward. Football is really meaningless compared to that.

starkvegasdawg
12-09-2016, 02:10 PM

UT Chatnooga...He's our yankee asshole.

http://imgur.com/01bf7172-ceae-4a01-b789-e11b9a7d929b

I seen it dawg
12-09-2016, 02:10 PM
As someone who gets tagged with the "arrogant" term sometimes, I can understand it. I'm as southern as you get, but I don't BS much. I don't start my conversion with 20 minutes of "how's mom and them?"; I don't care who you are eating chicken with this Sunday. I'm talking to you as an expert in my field. If you don't want to hear what I have to say, I'll probably cut the conversation short instead of BSing you into listening to me. If you don't want my help/advice/expertise, then good luck, because I know more about my field than anyone else in this shit hole town and you will probably get bad help/advice/expertise and pay more for it. Your finished project will not meet its full potential, and you will be left wondering why you didn't listen to me. My projects will always perform better than yours, and will get state/regional/national awards, and that is why I'm the expert.

Haha outstanding. And ditto.

gtowndawg
12-09-2016, 02:23 PM
Hopefully any coach that genuinely cares for his players (which is most) understands what's at stake. Go pro or go flyin' out a window at some point.

MadDawg
12-09-2016, 02:28 PM
I always thought "successful coach" and "arrogance" went hand in hand.

blacklistedbully
12-09-2016, 02:30 PM

Just curious...what do you do professionally?

Bodaski
12-09-2016, 02:46 PM
To clarify my illness. I was diagnosed with COPD and its no cure. I was sent to UAB for a double-lung transplant in 2009. I was not a candidate so its a disease that doesn't get better. They said I would possibly live to 2015 at the latest. But they didn't know I was a "Bulldog" and we don't quit or give up. I'm down to 16% lung volume function but the good lord has blessed me. These message boards are very therapeutic to me, especially with OM getting hammered. I asked the man upstairs to spare me the time to see those bastards up north go down.

BrunswickDawg
12-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Just curious...what do you do professionally?

Kick ass and take names....

Statecoachingblows**
12-09-2016, 02:50 PM
To clarify my illness. I was diagnosed with COPD and its no cure. I was sent to UAB for a double-lung transplant in 2009. I was not a candidate so its a disease that doesn't get better. They said I would possibly live to 2015 at the latest. But they didn't know I was a "Bulldog" and we don't quit or give up. I'm down to 16% lung volume function but the good lord has blessed me. These message boards are very therapeutic to me, especially with OM getting hammered. I asked the man upstairs to spare me the time to see those bastards up north go down.

That's about as inspirational as it gets. You sir, are a good man!

GreenheadDawg
12-09-2016, 02:53 PM

Haha rep given

Dawgface
12-09-2016, 03:01 PM

God bless you man. Hang in there.

PonderThis1
12-09-2016, 03:01 PM

Post of the year. God bless. Hang in there.

gtowndawg
12-09-2016, 03:23 PM

Dang. Sort of our version of this guy:

http://67.media.tumblr.com/c2af0cb882e121b23b8428ab62f75a66/tumblr_mi6k3iF46g1roqv59o1_500.png

Gutter Cobreh
12-09-2016, 03:24 PM

I think the board is somewhat therapeutic for all of us!!! Keep up the good fight and thanks for relaying your conversation. Rep given!!

BankerDog
12-09-2016, 03:27 PM
I coached football in MS for over 25 years. I had to retire in 2008 due to a terminal illness, but stay in contact with ole coaching buddies. What I'm going to tell you bears out to be true. We were talking recruiting and the different approaches different schools use in recruiting. We specifically compared MSU and OM and their different methods. My buddy said and I quote, " I'm not a big fan of Mullen basically because of his arrogance, but he has improved over the years. One thing I can say is DM doesn't promise kids anything but an opportunity to play and it's totally up to the player". He went on to say "OM is very secretive and will tell a kid exactly what they want to hear concerning playing time". He said this really got his attention in watching how the drafted NFL kids from each school have performed compared to the 5* guys that were promised the world and had no clue how to work to be successful in the NFL. He said his High school players are taking notice of what goes on at each school to prepare them to be NFL players if that is their dream. He also thinks OM is dirty. By the way he's got a good player that is a Jr. Who will be a dandy dozen guy I believe next year. Thought you guys might enjoy our conversation.

Nice to see you posting again, Coach. It was a pleasure having you in the school when we came through to make our run.

BrunswickDawg
12-09-2016, 03:31 PM

Godspeed Bodaski. Keep kicking ass and taking names...

anubus
12-09-2016, 03:51 PM
You keep fighting and live to see tsun get their just reward and other great things that life brings.

DeputyDawg94
12-09-2016, 03:58 PM
First off, good luck and keep fighting. Second, I have a friend in the SHS athletic department and he told me pretty much the same thing last week. SHS kids don't like CDM and cant stand Hev. And when he said the kids don't like Hev he meant they really don't like the man. Said they come off as arrogant while the OM coaches come in like a typical politician, shaking hands with everybody and spreading rainbows and unicorns. Myself, I would prefer the truth as to what was expected out of me, but I'm not a 17 year old kid either.
It would be nice if Hev were moved to a non-recruiting position to say the least.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2016, 04:01 PM
First off, good luck and keep fighting. Second, I have a friend in the SHS athletic department and he told me pretty much the same thing last week. SHS kids don't like CDM and cant stand Hev. And when he said the kids don't like Hev he meant they really don't like the man. Said they come off as arrogant while the OM coaches come in like a typical politician, shaking hands with everybody and spreading rainbows and unicorns. Myself, I would prefer the truth as to what was expected out of me, but I'm not a 17 year old kid either.
It would be nice if Hev were moved to a non-recruiting position to say the least.

Hev hasn't been to Starkville in close to a year. Willie & Mullen have a very very good relationship. This may have been true with AJ but it's not with Starkville kids.

Political Hack
12-09-2016, 04:32 PM

I bet the boards are a great communication venue for you. No need to talk, waste oxygen, etc... Just pound that keyboard! Makes me feel good to know that the ED community is more than just a bitch fest to some people. Hang in there man. We're all pulling for you.

blacklistedbully
12-09-2016, 04:56 PM

Adding you to my prayers.

lamont
12-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Keep punching each day in the mouth to fight another day. Hang in there Coach

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-09-2016, 05:13 PM
love it when he speaks in third person

preachermatt83
12-09-2016, 05:15 PM

You da man!! Praying buddy!

AROB44
12-09-2016, 05:19 PM

Exactly!! Not sure why this is so hard for some to comprehend.

Percho
12-09-2016, 05:28 PM

Very good post B D...

Percho
12-09-2016, 05:31 PM

Another great post. Will be praying for you.. Who knows something may be found that will help you..

lamont
12-09-2016, 05:37 PM

I'm not a coach or anything- but as my friends say about me- "Random really is a good Taco Bell manager- but if you have any doubts- just ask him"

Bodaski
12-09-2016, 05:42 PM
MSU people are the reason I got my degree from state, and the fact my dad would have tore my butt up if I hadn't. MSU folks are just great people and your responses to my post make Thanks to all of you and God bless you all for making my days brighter because under the hate we have for OM, we show a lot of love and caring for our fellow dawgs.

JoseBrown
12-09-2016, 05:50 PM

Hey Bodaski, great for you brother! I hope n pray you keep proving them wrong. I narrowly missed one myself, but fortunately, earlier this year they decided to call me cured of the worst one. Still got a couple with no cure I'm finding out where they take me. I understand what you say about the message boards.

But look, since you were a coach you may know my father in law, well ex father in law, although we remained very close till he passed. Anyway, he was a career coach here in MS. Won coach of the year honors and state championships...lots of great stories about playing ball...but he lived long enough to finally see us ranked #1!! Then he gave in and passed shortly thereafter. Huge MSU fan, Coach Lamont Echols. Did you ever cross paths with him?

Hang in there, brother!

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-09-2016, 05:51 PM
Post of the year. God bless. Hang in there.

Hands down, the post of the year!

lamont
12-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Hey Bodaski, great for you brother! I hope n pray you keep proving them wrong. I narrowly missed one myself, but fortunately, earlier this year they decided to call me cured of the worst one. Still got a couple with no cure I'm finding out where they take me. I understand what you say about the message boards.

But look, since you were a coach you may know my father in law, well ex father in law, although we remained very close till he passed. Anyway, he was a career coach here in MS. Won coach of the year honors and state championships...lots of great stories about playing ball...but he lived long enough to finally see us ranked #1!! Then he gave in and passed shortly thereafter. Huge MSU fan, Coach Lamont Echols. Did you ever cross paths with him?

Hang in there, brother!

Tracy is a good friend of mine. Coach Echols is a legend

JoseBrown
12-09-2016, 06:04 PM
Tracy is a good friend of mine. Coach Echols is a legend

Hey, that's cool. Yes, he is a legend. I hate I never had the opportunity to play for him. I did have the opportunity to have him help me coach some baseball over the years. Some of the best times, man. I enjoyed every minute I was able to spend with him.

lamont
12-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Hey, that's cool. Yes, he is a legend. I hate I never had the opportunity to play for him. I did have the opportunity to have him help me coach some baseball over the years. Some of the best times, man. I enjoyed every minute I was able to spend with him.

Coach Echols and my Dad were rivals and good friends. They were the definition of "Old School". I have witnessed them on the verge of coming to blows during a game- then spending 30 minutes laughing and telling stories after the game while their teams sat on the bus waiting to go home. My Dad won a state title and wasnt bad- but Echols is a top 5 baseball coach in Mississippi history. He coached me in Jr high football and was a tough SOB. Loved it

dawgoneyall
12-09-2016, 06:20 PM

Ink, pencil or PDF?

WinningIsRelentless
12-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Heck of a post coach! But let's clearify one thing not all Bulldogs are good. Like our rivals to the east in 6a.

JoseBrown
12-09-2016, 07:18 PM
Heck of a post coach! But let's clearify one thing not all Bulldogs are good. Like our rivals to the east in 6a.

Coach Echols and my Dad were rivals and good friends. They were the definition of "Old School". I have witnessed them on the verge of coming to blows during a game- then spending 30 minutes laughing and telling stories after the game while their teams sat on the bus waiting to go home. My Dad won a state title and wasnt bad- but Echols is a top 5 baseball coach in Mississippi history. He coached me in Jr high football and was a tough SOB. Loved it

That's what I'm talking about. I loved that old school coaching. I think that's why he and I got along so well. Even years after he retired he'd go all night, I was right there with him always listening too. I learned a lot from him coaching next to him just for the hell of it, you know. We didn't have to, but if we could teach anything and someone wanted to learn we'd be the last ones to leave the park. But sitting around listening to all those war stories never got old either.

GTHOM
12-09-2016, 07:55 PM

God bless you sir

sleepy dawg
12-09-2016, 11:12 PM

Not sure why, but I really enjoyed this post.

CadaverDawg
12-10-2016, 12:26 AM

God bless you Bodaski.

Bdawg
12-10-2016, 05:43 PM

God bless my man!!! Hope we all see them go down together