PDA

View Full Version : Crootin on Wednesday comes down...

HoopsDawg
12-09-2016, 12:09 AM
To keeping current commits + these 6 names:

1. Hayes, OT, need him to compete for starting RT
2. CJ Avery S/star
3. Brian Cole, FS, big need
4. Rivers, talented 3-4 DE
5. Brandon Martin, WR, he's visiting this weekend so we have a chance
6. Ravian Pierce, could be a big weapon for Fitz the next 2 years.

msstate7
12-09-2016, 12:21 AM
Put em in order of most likely to least likely

preachermatt83
12-09-2016, 12:54 AM
Also who are all the ee's who are committed?

deltadawg99
12-09-2016, 02:04 AM
Thompson
Pope
Sweat
Williams
Gainer
Jackson
Phillips

Think I'm right with that. I really how we end up getting Matt Leo. Dude fits the scheme and seems to have a ton of upside.

dawgday166
12-09-2016, 07:38 AM
Not sure why folks seem to think the Juco Olinemen should come in and compete for a spot their 1st year in. It never happens under Hev. Hell it takes him 3 or so years to develop a HS recruit where he can play halfway decent.

The very earliest I expect a Juco Olinemen to make a significant contribution is year after next.

msstate7
12-09-2016, 07:53 AM
Not sure why folks seem to think the Juco Olinemen should come in and compete for a spot their 1st year in. It never happens under Hev. Hell it takes him 3 or so years to develop a HS recruit where he can play halfway decent.

The very earliest I expect a Juco Olinemen to make a significant contribution is year after next.

Didn't siddoway play right away?

dawgday166
12-09-2016, 08:11 AM
Didn't siddoway play right away?

Ok ... I stand corrected. Early in Mullen's tenure my perception is that Jucos would come in fairly often and play well immediately or within 3 or 4 games. My perception the last 3 or 4 years is this doesn't happen often, even on the Dline, but especially on the Oline. Not sure why and maybe my perception is off some.

ETA: Maybe there is more of a country club atmosphere throughout. I know I like what Mullen said about going old school in the offseason. Hope that happens.

JoseBrown
12-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Ok ... I stand corrected. Early in Mullen's tenure my perception is that Jucos would come in fairly often and play well immediately or within 3 or 4 games. My perception the last 3 or 4 years is this doesn't happen often, even on the Dline, but especially on the Oline. Not sure why and maybe my perception is off some.

ETA: Maybe there is more of a country club atmosphere throughout. I know I like what Mullen said about going old school in the offseason. Hope that happens.

I don't think you're off. It took Rankin a year and a half. He just came around halfway into this season, and Jake Wimberley may be more responsible than anyone for him coming around. If the Twitter play-breakdown didn't embarrass the shit out of him, I don't know what would. And wasn't Rankin #1 JuCo tackle?

dawgday166
12-09-2016, 09:25 AM
I don't think you're off. It took Rankin a year and a half. He just came around halfway into this season, and Jake Wimberley may be more responsible than anyone for him coming around. If the Twitter play-breakdown didn't embarrass the shit out of him, I don't know what would. And wasn't Rankin #1 JuCo tackle?

Yes ... he was #1 JuCo tackle. Some of our Dline and DB Jucos are taking more time too than I remember from earlier in Mullen's tenure.

BB30
12-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Outside of Rankin what other juco OL have come in and taken a year and a half to develop. Not a smart a** question, just curious as to who else is on that list? IMO a lot has to depend on how intelligent a player is to begin with. There is a lot to learn as an O lineman especially a T. If you are having to think about what you are supposed to do as the play is happening you probably will not have much success. You can have all of the tools in the world and still struggle if you are thinking. So, I do agree our OL looked much better once we started pounding the ball primarily because our OL for the most part could just go and out physical somebody.

Not saying that was Rankin's issue as I have no idea how intelligent he is, but for some the reason they are at JuCo in the first place is due to not making grades etc. I do think that plays a role in how they learn schemes/develop. I think the late bloomers that go juco and then blow up have an easier time making the transition.

Ari Gold
12-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Thompson
Pope
Sweat
Williams
Gainer
Jackson
Phillips

Think I'm right with that. I really how we end up getting Matt Leo. Dude fits the scheme and seems to have a ton of upside.

Yeah I like Leo as well.. hearing doubt he is visiting now.

dawgday166
12-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Outside of Rankin what other juco OL have come in and taken a year and a half to develop. Not a smart a** question, just curious as to who else is on that list? IMO a lot has to depend on how intelligent a player is to begin with. There is a lot to learn as an O lineman especially a T. If you are having to think about what you are supposed to do as the play is happening you probably will not have much success. You can have all of the tools in the world and still struggle if you are thinking. So, I do agree our OL looked much better once we started pounding the ball primarily because our OL for the most part could just go and out physical somebody.

Not saying that was Rankin's issue as I have no idea how intelligent he is, but for some the reason they are at JuCo in the first place is due to not making grades etc. I do think that plays a role in how they learn schemes/develop. I think the late bloomers that go juco and then blow up have an easier time making the transition.

Not sure about who all else. I'm probably thinking more on the D side other than Rankin. But Jocquell Johnson is from Juco and he ain't making a huge contribution. I will agree that OL is the toughest to learn other than QB. But we all know that Dan and company like folks who don't make mental mistakes, regardless if they can actually do it physically - Hollaway & Shump among others. I also have observed that other schools seem to get Jucos spun up a little quicker than we do. Or at least it seems so to me. I know OM, Bama, and Auburn have in the past. This are just my perceptions tho.

My point is I'm not willing to count on much contribution from any Juco, but especially Olinemen, next year. That's all.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2016, 10:46 AM
I also have observed that other schools seem to get Jucos spun up a little quicker than we do. Or at least it seems so to me. I know OM, Bama, and Auburn have in the past. This are just my perceptions tho.

My point is I'm not willing to count on much contribution from any Juco, but especially Olinemen, next year. That's all.

I checked with the last 4 recruiting classes with both OM & Bama. It's pretty much a mixed bag of results. Not too different than MSU.

Bama

Charles Baldwin - Dismissed before playing 1 game

Jamar King - 2 tackles this year Jr season

Johnathan Taylor - Dismissed before playing 1 game

DJ Pettway - Contributor nothing major

Jarran Reed - Stud

Dominick Jackson - Played sparingly his Jr. year started as a Sr

Leon Brown - Backup as a Jr started as a Sr

OM

Josiah Coatney - RS

Detric Bing-Dukes - Part time starter sub par player this year

DJ Jones - 2yr starter very good player

Chad Kelly - Stud

Terry Caldwell - Bust

Tony Bridges - 2yr starter solid player

Tee Shepard - Bust

Christian Russell - Played 2yrs little impact

Fahn Cooper - 2yr starter very good player

Jeremy Liggins - Bust

Fadol Brown - 2yr player good player struggled with injuries

Lavon Hooks - Bust (#1 Juco in the country)

Quadarias Mireles - Bust

Juco recruiting is a crap shoot. You can get some studs but you can also get some massive busts.

dawgday166
12-09-2016, 10:55 AM
I checked with the last 4 recruiting classes with both OM & Bama. It's pretty much a mixed bag of results. Not too different than MSU.

Bama

Jarran Reed - Stud

OM

Josiah Coatney - RS

Chad Kelly - Stud

Terry Caldwell - Bust

Tee Shepard - Bust

Jeremy Liggins - Bust

Quadarias Mireles - Bust

Juco recruiting is a crap shoot. You can get some studs but you can also get some massive busts.

Good research. Thanks. My perceptions have been corrected some now.

tcdog70
12-09-2016, 10:58 AM

Bama

Jarran Reed - Stud

OM

Josiah Coatney - RS

Chad Kelly - Stud

Terry Caldwell - Bust

Tee Shepard - Bust

Jeremy Liggins - Bust

Quadarias Mireles - Bust

Gennesy at A&M was All-sec but they redshirted Him. From Scooba. Stamps from Scooba also started at Ky as well as a DLineman, can't remember His name-He was committed to Us. Recruiting JUCO is like HighSchool in that you need to do your Homework. We signed Johnson after we lost His teammate to USM. I believe He is now in the NFL. sidenote-Dylan Bradley was named All_conference- he wanted to come to MSU-also javancy Jackson was up for Conerly Award and we could have signed Him. They both looked like no-brainers to Me at Noxubee.

HoopsDawg
12-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Good research. Thanks. My perceptions have been corrected some now.

Friendly reminder that there are Juco busts, high school busts and NFL draft busts.

HoopsDawg
12-10-2016, 05:02 PM
To keeping current commits + these 6 names:

1. Hayes, OT, need him to compete for starting RT
2. CJ Avery S/star
3. Brian Cole, FS, big need
4. Rivers, talented 3-4 DE
5. Brandon Martin, WR, he's visiting this weekend so we have a chance
6. Ravian Pierce, could be a big weapon for Fitz the next 2 years.

UPDATE: Hayes is down to MSU and UGA. Steve thinks he is leaning to UGA.
Pierce is visiting LSU this weekend when it was thought he was going home. Not good.

On the plus side, it appears Bama may get Buggs so hopefully they won't offer Rivers. And Martin is having a good visit so far. Also Landrews is back in the mix.

maroonmania
12-10-2016, 05:05 PM

Well there's always Joey Trapp who never developed.

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2016, 05:07 PM
UPDATE: Hayes is down to MSU and UGA. Steve thinks he is leaning to UGA.
Pierce is visiting LSU this weekend when it was thought he was going home. Not good.

On the plus side, it appears Bama may get Buggs so hopefully they won't offer Rivers. And Martin is having a good visit so far. Also Landrews is back in the mix.

Hayes visiting UGA last scared me, but hopefully we can get back in the mix after visiting with him Sunday night.

Not sure what to make of Pierce. LSU doesn't even have an OC for goodness sakes, &, if they hire Kiffin, that's the guy that just made OJ Howard a non-factor at Bama for 4 years. Pierce has always confused me. Not sure he has people around him that have his best interest at heart.

Pretty obvious what's going on with Landrews. Kid wants to be at MSU, but dad wants him at Minnesota. Usually the kid wins out here, but we'll have to see.

Would love to get Rivers

msstate7
12-10-2016, 05:10 PM
What about Cole?

HoopsDawg
12-10-2016, 05:12 PM
What about Cole?

All I know is that we are still trying to work out the off the field stuff. I don't know if it will work out. If not MSU, look for him to go to Oregon State.

msstate7
12-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Are pope and Autry December guys? Are they DEs or NGs in our system?

MedDawg
12-10-2016, 05:32 PM

Bama

Jarran Reed - Stud

OM

Josiah Coatney - RS

Chad Kelly - Stud

Terry Caldwell - Bust

Tee Shepard - Bust

Jeremy Liggins - Bust

Quadarias Mireles - Bust

But all were successful in boosting OM's recruiting ranking and enhance the the illusion that Freeze is an elite recruiter

HoopsDawg
12-10-2016, 05:33 PM
Are pope and Autry December guys? Are they DEs or NGs in our system?

Both are Dec guys. Autry is a NG, Pope is a DE in a 3-4.

drummerdawg
12-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Stephen Guidry

https://twitter.com/PJ247Sports/status/807713554552029188

HoopsDawg
12-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Stephen Guidry

https://twitter.com/PJ247Sports/status/807713554552029188

He's a Feb guy, but glad LSU isn't on that list.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2016, 05:44 PM
He's a Feb guy, but glad LSU isn't on that list.

They've been out of it for a while. I'm not sure he's spoken to them since he de-committed.

HoopsDawg
12-10-2016, 05:47 PM
They've been out of it for a while. I'm not sure he's spoken to them since he de-committed.

I'm glad no one else is on the list other than us and ASU.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2016, 06:06 PM
I'm glad no one else is on the list other than us and ASU.

Yep & ASU is window dressing.

HoopsDawg
12-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Yep & ASU is window dressing.

Who is the main threat for Martin?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2016, 06:30 PM
Who is the main threat for Martin?

I think we're probably 3rd for Martin at least coming into the weekend. LSU & Auburn are up there.

msstate7
12-10-2016, 06:33 PM
I think we're probably 3rd for Martin at least coming into the weekend. LSU & Auburn are up there.

So does the loser for Martin come hard after Guidry?

HoopsDawg
12-10-2016, 06:33 PM

I'm surprised he visited. Maybe those other 2 schools aren't showing as much love. He has to know our depth chart is better, but that never seems to matter.

HoopsDawg
12-10-2016, 06:37 PM
So does the loser for Martin come hard after Guidry?

You worry about the most random things. Guidry is down to MSU and ASU.

msstate7
12-10-2016, 06:41 PM
You worry about the most random things. Guidry is down to MSU and ASU.

Well it was a question, not an I need a xanax worry...

HoopsDawg
12-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Well it was a question, not an I need a xanax worry...

How could we possibly know the answer to that question? Just take it at face value that Guidry will be deciding between MSU and ASU and that he is an MSU lean. I should also caution that Guidry is talented but raw and it won't help that he's missing spring practice. I doubt he is a day 1 starter for us.

msstate7
12-10-2016, 07:15 PM
How could we possibly know the answer to that question? Just take it at face value that Guidry will be deciding between MSU and ASU and that he is an MSU lean. I should also caution that Guidry is talented but raw and it won't help that he's missing spring practice. I doubt he is a day 1 starter for us.
Well I hold ifyouonlyknew and your opinion in recruiting with high regard... that's why I ask. Your smart remarks aren't as desired though haha

HoopsDawg
12-10-2016, 07:16 PM
Well I hold ifyouonlyknew and your opinion in recruiting with high regard... that's why I ask. Your smart remarks aren't as desired though haha

You gotta take the bad with the good. It's like Mullen.

msstate7
12-10-2016, 07:18 PM

Haha... fair enough

DownwardDawg
12-10-2016, 07:32 PM

Haha!

preachermatt83
12-10-2016, 07:41 PM

He is not ready to be an SEC player just yet.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-10-2016, 07:53 PM
He is not ready to be an SEC player just yet.

I think that's a little extreme. He's raw but his physical talent is SEC ready.