PDA

View Full Version : Let's Do Some Nuanced Speculation

BeastMan
12-08-2016, 01:03 PM
When this investigation really got going I think many people, myself included, questioned if Ross Bjork was safe. How could an AD with 3 sports under investigation, with 1 of the coaches being his guy, see this through unscathed? When you factor in some of the misinformation that leaked out, it fanned those flames. It was reasonable, at that time, to question Bjork's job security. Since that time, there have been 3 absolutely crucial events that tell a story to the direction this thing is headed. To understand what is at stake, and more clearly whose job is at stake, you must acknowledge these 3 events.

#1 Ross Bjork was given a promotion and raise to Vice Chancellor

#2 The Rebel Rags attempted sting operation that included Ole Miss administration riding along but staying in the parking lot verified by former Rebel Todd Wade.

#3 Today Yancy reported that it was Ross Bjork who made the decision to not retain Barney Farrar and Dave Werner.

Now let's go through and discuss the relevance of these 3 happenings.

We've already alluded to #1 a bit in the opening. How does a guy who has 3 programs under investigation get a promotion elevating his status within the administration. On the surface, some thought it meant that if Bjork got that promotion, it means that there is nothing to the investigation. That is a logical opinion. But is that really what it meant? We kept hearing the term "exemplary cooperation". We'll circle back to #1 in minute.

#2 contained a bombshell that the NCAA was in Oxford attempting cloak and dagger operations with not only the knowledge, but also the cooperation of the Ole Miss administration. It was told by Wade that Ole Miss representatives were in the parking lot in a car at the time of the sting. Rebels fans were mad and rightfully so. How could your university participate in actions designed to further damage the football program? Remember the term Bjork threw around so much, "exemplary cooperation"?

#3 Is kind of the final nail in the preverbal coffin in this theory. I have no reason to not believe Yancy that Bjork was the one who made the decision to move on from Farrar and Werner. The first thing that jumps out is that Bjork is forcing the hand of Freeze in staffing situations. I imagine that is an uncomfortable situation that no AD or head football coach covets. Again, why would Bjork do this if?

What these 3 happenings signal to me is that there is a mendoza line set in the Ole Miss football program. The repercussions for the blame of this NCAA mess will not reach Bjork. They will stop at the level of no higher than the head football coach. That doesn't mean that they 100% will fire a sitting HC but we have to believe that is the highest level the administration will allow it to go. In #1 we talk about the Ole Miss administration positioning Bjork to a level above what a regular AD sits. You don't do that to a guy in warm water. Next you see the OM administration helping the NCAA. That call sure as hell didn't come from anyone on the football staff. It came from above them. Last you see that powers above Freeze are making staffing decisions that are assumed to be at least in part due to the NCAA.

It sure looks like the Ole Miss administration has made the decision to position Bjork above the fray. The way he was promoted and how the NCAA investigation is has been handled from their end makes that pretty clear. As they say in many cooperate structures, shit runs downhill.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2016, 01:13 PM
All this makes sense, except why Ole Miss would do that?

Hugh Freeze was hired before Bjork, so why does the OM administration feel the need to protect Bjork if it's obvious he knew what was going on?

OR

Was Bjork hired & told specifically to look the other way? He was told to not get involved with the football program, play dumb, & defend them when asked to?

Spiderman
12-08-2016, 01:14 PM
All this makes sense, except why Ole Miss would do that?

Hugh Freeze was hired before Bjork, so why does the OM administration feel the need to protect Bjork if it's obvious he knew what was going on?

OR

Was Bjork hired & told specifically to look the other way? He was told to not get involved with the football program, play dumb, & defend them when asked to?

They'd kill Bjork to save Freeze

missouridawg
12-08-2016, 01:17 PM
To me, the sting operation was an attempt by the athletic department to say "see, it isn't us organizing this shit" allowing themselves to put some distance between the department and rogue boosters. In other words, a direct attempt at saving Ross and Hugh.

thf24
12-08-2016, 01:20 PM
If you're right Beast, I think it undeniably means that Bjork is a willing puppet. No way you fight that hard to save a mediocre, overly dramatic, unprofessional AD if he's in charge of his own department. In fact, he may not have even made it this far if he was operating under his own discretion. If he is a puppet, makes you wonder what entity is ultimately in charge.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2016, 01:22 PM
To me, the sting operation was an attempt by the athletic department to say "see, it isn't us organizing this shit" allowing themselves to put some distance between the department and rogue boosters. In other words, a direct attempt at saving Ross and Hugh.

Agree. Not sure how they can pull it off though when Hugh was in a recruit's home with a booster

Political Hack
12-08-2016, 01:45 PM
It's posturing.

PassInterference
12-08-2016, 01:52 PM
Ross is very believable. Of course he has lied a lot. But in his one-on-one televised conversations with Finebaum and others, he comes off like a straight shooter. Maybe Ross has pulled the wool over the administration too.

BrunswickDawg
12-08-2016, 01:57 PM
It's posturing.

Yup - I'd say it's Bjoke posturing to try and save himself at this point. "Look, I helped a sting. Look, I stepped in and fired staff. See, I deserve a championship belt from the NCAA for "exemplary cooperation."

Really Clark?
12-08-2016, 02:01 PM
I think the cooperation was more posturing trying to keep LOIC violation being listed in the next round

Martianlander
12-08-2016, 02:07 PM
Bjork must have some protection from higher ups. I really thought he would be the first one gone with three programs in trouble.

Chip
12-08-2016, 02:12 PM
LOICs come as penalties from the COI, not as allegations in NOAs.

Political Hack
12-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Yup - I'd say it's Bjoke posturing to try and save himself at this point. "Look, I helped a sting. Look, I stepped in and fired staff. See, I deserve a championship belt from the NCAA for "exemplary cooperation."

Yep. He's doing what he can to survive. Can't blame him. They're going to need some level of continuity and I think they understand that Freeze can't survive this. Even if he isn't show caused, the NCAA will continue to HAMMER them if they leave that coach in place. It's the same way they treated us for hiring Jackie. Freeze is going to bring heat no matter where is ends up. I honestly feel bad for him. I do t think he's evil. I think he's misguided and uses religion as a recruiting tool, which really bothers me. But I do think he's genuine in his faith, but the show he puts in is a show in my opinion. He reminds me of Steve Martin in that old movie where he's a"big tent preacher."

BrunswickDawg
12-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Yep. He's doing what he can to survive. Can't blame him. They're going to need some level of continuity and I think they understand that Freeze can't survive this. Even if he isn't show caused, the NCAA will continue to HAMMER them if they leave that coach in place. It's the same way they treated us for hiring Jackie. Freeze is going to bring heat no matter where is ends up. I honestly feel bad for him. I do t think he's evil. I think he's misguided and uses religion as a recruiting tool, which really bothers me. But I do think he's genuine in his faith, but the show he puts in is a show in my opinion. He reminds me of Steve Martin in that old movie where he's a"big tent preacher."

Leap of Faith - lol! Does that put Bjork in the roll of Meatloaf?

Political Hack
12-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Leap of Faith - lol! Does that put Bjork in the roll of Meatloaf?

Hahahahah. It does now.

thf24
12-08-2016, 02:32 PM

Intentional or not, he's got to have some kind of mental illness. If he's genuine in his faith, "misguided" isn't enough to justify treating college athletes like assets, buying what you need then discarding them when their usefulness is up.

Really Clark?
12-08-2016, 03:08 PM
LOICs come as penalties from the COI, not as allegations in NOAs.

Yes but that doesn't contradict what I said. They have to show compliance and willingness to regulate and educate themselves. These idiots really think they can throw crap at the NCAA and they will just take it face value and accept everything they purpose. When it became evident it wasn't going to work then they thought they better actually do something. I don't think it will work at all but cooperating with the sting op might have been then posturing to tell their story of why they shouldn't get a LOIC

Bama_Dawg
12-08-2016, 03:20 PM
They know the hammer will fall. At this point, they are scrambling and "bargaining" (remember that's one of the phases of grief) with the NCAA as to how hard the hammer falls. That is why the administration participated in the sting...they want to see if they can scratch the NCAA's back and in turn get to keep a show cause off of Freezus.