PDA

View Full Version : Bo Bounds Say Mullen/Oregon Not Real

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2016, 09:46 AM
This morning Bo said Mullen would not have taken the job at Oregon. He also said that Mullen to Miami last year was real.

I'm sure this will lead to a pissing match about Bo's sources vs others, but I think we all know he has pretty good sources, & that this is just one man's opinion.

starkvegasdawg
12-08-2016, 10:00 AM
See if this thread goes 5 pages before being locked.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2016, 10:01 AM
See if this thread goes 5 pages before being locked.

It shouldn't because that would be a pissing match about who has better sources.

I'm just passing along what was said so it can be added to the conversation

BB30
12-08-2016, 10:04 AM
The conversation should just be dropped because it is a mute point now. Mullen is here and will be here for at least a couple more years if not longer. Those that don't like Mullen just need to get over it and quit bitching.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Dave Bartoo (Who lives in Oregon & is an Oregon season ticket holder) just said Taggert was the fall back plan

fishwater99
12-08-2016, 10:07 AM
They didn't want to pay Mullen 4.5+ Million...

gtowndawg
12-08-2016, 10:09 AM
In my mind it's simple. I begrudge nobody for looking for what they think might be a better job. Fine, we've all done it. What I do begrudge is someone looking for another job and having if affect our program. This is a cut throat business and if you take your foot off the gas just a couple of weeks, it can cause damage.

I was pissed at that way Mullen handled it last year. But I think he's done better this year. Just my perception.

Edited for bad phone autocorrects.

fishwater99
12-08-2016, 10:10 AM
He has a new agent this year too...

basedog
12-08-2016, 10:11 AM
The agenda will be around shortly, I'm waiting on the long post saying......you know the same ole same ole.

BB30
12-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Any coach would be crazy to not answer the phone when another program that in the past almost decade had been one of the top teams in the country. They were borderline elite for several years. That being said it is over and he is here. If he wants a truly elite job he will have to win big here and prove he is worth the 4.5 or more that we are paying him. He will have to make another run at the SEC championship IMO for that to be a possibility and if that happens great. He will have left our program in a much better situation than it was when he arrived and we will be set up to make a decent hire.

Coldsleeve Jr.
12-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Clearly, Bo Bounds is a butthurt shitbird *******

Todd4State
12-08-2016, 10:17 AM
In my mind it's simple. I begrudge nobody for looking for a what they think might be a better job. Find, we've all done it. What I do begrudge is someone looking for another job and having if affect our program. This is a cut throat business and if you take your foot off the gas just a couple of weeks, it can cause damage.

I was pissed at that way Mullen handled it last year. But I think he's done better this year. Just my perception.

I feel the exact same way. Dan has handled it better. I don't understand State fans that jump on other State fans for wanting it handled better because we don't want our program to be hurt.

SDDawg
12-08-2016, 10:22 AM
It has been clear from the outset that Oregon is not real. I saw a guy on Twitter with ~3000 followers and no clear credentials trying to claim that he has deep sources, this was real, Dan didn't get the job because of recruiting ability, etc. That's not really how any of this works. Looks like this is another Ole Miss "plant" like last year with Maryland. Of course Miami was real, Mullen himself said he'd talked to them. We all knew that. It was the rest of the noise and the flat EB that had everyone so pissed off.

Seriously, enough with this junk. Dan will leave someday... but today is not that day. The Rebs are so desperate that they'll do anything to disrupt MSU when they can't do it A) on the field, B) in the classroom, C) by cheating on the recruiting trail. I have told most of my Ole Miss acquaintances that Mullen will outlast Freeze and it appears that I'll be right on that. Mullen won't be around forever, but if he leaves with a 7 - 3 Egg Bowl record, the #1 ranking in 2014 and 9 game bowl streak in a couple of years I won't be complaining too much. Gives Cohen an opportunity to help us take another step forward.

Todd4State
12-08-2016, 10:26 AM
It has been clear from the outset that Oregon is not real. I saw a guy on Twitter with ~3000 followers and no clear credentials trying to claim that he has deep sources, this was real, Dan didn't get the job because of recruiting ability, etc. That's not really how any of this works. Looks like this is another Ole Miss "plant" like last year with Maryland. Of course Miami was real, Mullen himself said he'd talked to them. We all knew that. It was the rest of the noise and the flat EB that had everyone so pissed off.

Seriously, enough with this junk. Dan will leave someday... but today is not that day. The Rebs are so desperate that they'll do anything to disrupt MSU when they can't do it A) on the field, B) in the classroom, C) by cheating on the recruiting trail. I have told most of my Ole Miss acquaintances that Mullen will outlast Freeze and it appears that I'll be right on that. Mullen won't be around forever, but if he leaves with a 7 - 3 Egg Bowl record, the #1 ranking in 2014 and 9 game bowl streak in a couple of years I won't be complaining too much. Gives Cohen an opportunity to help us take another step forward.

The Oregon thing was reported by several other people like ESPN. It's not like it was just some other random guy on Twitter. I actually find it odd that Bounds is saying it wasn't real simply because of that. Unless he's saying that Dan taking the job was "never real" which I agree with. I haven't heard the context of his comment though.

cujo
12-08-2016, 10:28 AM

It is what it is

Really Clark?
12-08-2016, 10:29 AM
I feel the exact same way. Dan has handled it better. I don't understand State fans that jump on other State fans for wanting it handled better because we don't want our program to be hurt.

What was the difference between this year and last? The statements he released are nearly identical. He actually addressed the rumors earlier last year 12/1/15 and right before they hired Richt, who had turned them down then changed his mind. Now people, not you, are mad he waited until after Oregon named their coach on 12/7/16 and you have the ones like yourself, thinks he handled it better. I just see the difference and for the ones arguing both years he didn't do it at the right time...then there won't be for you.

sandwolf
12-08-2016, 10:31 AM
In my mind it's simple. I begrudge nobody for looking for a what they think might be a better job. Find, we've all done it. What I do begrudge is someone looking for another job and having if affect our program. This is a cut throat business and if you take your foot off the gas just a couple of weeks, it can cause damage.

Good post, I agree.

basedog
12-08-2016, 10:36 AM
The Oregon thing was reported by several other people like ESPN. It's not like it was just some other random guy on Twitter. I actually find it odd that Bounds is saying it wasn't real simply because of that. Unless he's saying that Dan taking the job was "never real" which I agree with. I haven't heard the context of his comment though.

Not everyone thinks like you Todd, Mullen did the right thing on the Oregon rumor. I guarantee he and his Coaches were telling recruits it wasn't true and he would be back. It's stupid to think they all stop recruiting.

HSVDawg
12-08-2016, 10:47 AM
I'm just going to say this and it will be my final comment on the subject.

A school with every bit of the facilities and financial resources (if not more) as Alabama and Ohio State just hired a Group of 5 coach with a career losing record over 7 years.

Let that sink in and judge for yourself what happened.

fishwater99
12-08-2016, 10:52 AM
I'm just going to say this and it will be my final comment on the subject.

A school with every bit of the facilities and financial resources (if not more) as Alabama and Ohio State just hired a Group of 5 coach with a career losing record over 7 years.

Let that sink in and judge for yourself what happened.

You need to put that in perspective.

The Bulls were winless in 2012, prior to Taggart's hiring, and won two games during his first season, but have won four, eight and 10 games since. The Bulls won 17 of their last 21 games under Taggart.

It's npt like he had a losing season the past 2 years. he was making major progress at a bad school.

lamont
12-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Exactly- Taggart has taken over 2 terrible programs and built them up. One was winless when he took the job. How bad do you have to be to go 0-12? How hard do you have to recruit to sell 0-12 to recruits?

dawgday166
12-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Dave Bartoo (Who lives in Oregon & is an Oregon season ticket holder) just said Taggert was the fall back plan

Bartoo also thinks Mullen is the best thing since Nick Saban. He thinks everyone looking for a new coach should try to hire Mullen first.

blacklistedbully
12-08-2016, 11:49 AM

This all day long. We have a segment of Mullen fluffers who aren't satisfied with simply having a difference of opinion. No...they have to go and make it personal, inviting in-kind responses, which deteriorates into a MB war. And most of them just continue to attack the other side for things they aren't actually saying.

For instance...a common straw-man argument for them is we "are pissed because we mistakenly believe Dan is talking to other teams" and we're somehow hurting the program by spreading these false rumors. They proceed to insult us, call us bad fans, etc, etc.

But the reality is, most of us on this side aren't at all pissed that Dan might have been talking to Oregon. In fact...most of us can understand why he would. We are just pissed that he hasn't handled these things well enough in the past to prevent damage to our recruiting.

Most of us understand it's important for recruits to feel sure our HC & staff are actually going to be here when they get to MSU. We understand that all of these recruits are young and impressionable. We get that they have competing schools telling them, "Dan's not going to be there when you arrive. Just pay attention to what SI, ESPN, CBS Sports, USA Today, Yahoo Sports, Mike Belotti, etc are saying about him trying to leave or being a candidate at XYZ."

And the elite recruits, in particular have options. A rumor like that, when it is not immediately and publicly denied, has a great chance of making them lean to another school, or open up their recruitment. That's all it takes.

The other big sticking point for the "sides" is whether we, as a school and/or fanbase, have the right to expect Dan to immediately and publicly deny these rumors WHETHER TRUE OR NOT, so as to protect our recruiting efforts. One side thinks a Top 16 salary of $4.3 mill gives us that right, particularly since we have not consistently played anywhere close to a Top 16 team, having reached that just 2 times in 8 years. The other side most often is against this, or thinks it's stupid.

Some on the other side point to statements Dan has made at MSU club-meetings as proof Dan does this, while the other side maintains he's not done it in the proper forum, not often enough, and/or not definitively enough to stem the tide of rumors. We want him to announce it on a national stage or to a national media,

Finally the "other side" seeks to mischaracterize and belittle the opposing side by continuing...falsely, to claim we are asking Dan to respond to every Tom, Dick & Harry on any MB or silly fanbase blog. We aren't. We have repeatedly stated we want him to address it when it reaches the level of the aforementioned credible media.

All this said....if both sides would just realize we can all respectfully disagree, and that we all want MSU to be as great as it can be, then there would be fewer threads, shorter responses, and thus shorter threads. Most of these damn things go exponentially further because it needlessly turns into a pissing match.

HSVDawg
12-08-2016, 11:52 AM
You need to put that in perspective.

The Bulls were winless in 2012, prior to Taggart's hiring, and won two games during his first season, but have won four, eight and 10 games since. The Bulls won 17 of their last 21 games under Taggart.

It's npt like he had a losing season the past 2 years. he was making major progress at a bad school.

Wow. 100% false. USF was 3-9 in 2012, not winless. 5-7 the year before that, and went to 6 consecutive bowl games the years before that. They are also located smack dab in the middle of probably the 2nd most fertile recruiting ground in the country. They are a far cry from a bad school.

Really Clark?
12-08-2016, 11:52 AM
Exactly- Taggart has taken over 2 terrible programs and built them up. One was winless when he took the job. How bad do you have to be to go 0-12? How hard do you have to recruit to sell 0-12 to recruits?

I'll give you WKU but BS on USF. When he got to USF they were just 2 years from 6 straight bowls and had 10 winning seasons in the 13 years prior and his first year was the worst season they had since becoming D1 in 2000. He did good at WKU, they were 7-5 their first in D1 in 2007 so he did a nice job laying some foundation. He did good this year at USF but with as much of a foundation that was already in place at USF before he got there for over a decade, we was not good his first 2 years. You can give him a pass the first year but 2-10 is bad and their worse record but Dan came to SEC west when we had had 1 winning season in nearly the past decade. Dan exceeded Taggert exponentially in just the first 2 years with much less foundation and incredibly harder conference. Not even close not matter what your bias is. If Taggert had 4 years of 8+ wins at USF then it would be a debate. Until then it's jut bias. He may do great at Oregon and prove to be a better HC but he is NOT there yet

HSVDawg
12-08-2016, 11:56 AM
I'll give you WKU but BS on USF. When he got to USF they were just 2 years from 6 straight bowls and had 10 winning seasons in the 13 years prior and his first year was the worst season they had since becoming D1 in 2000. He did good at WKU, they were 7-5 their first in D1 in 2007 so he did a nice job laying some foundation. He did good this year at USF but with as much of a foundation that was already in place at USF before he got there for over a decade, we was not good his first 2 years. You can give him a pass the first year but 2-10 is bad and their worse record but Dan came to SEC west when we had had 1 winning season in nearly the past decade. Dan exceeded Taggert exponentially in just the first 2 years with much less foundation and incredibly harder conference. Not even close not matter what your bias is. If Taggert had 4 years of 8+ wins at USF then it would be a debate. Until then it's jut bias. He may do great at Oregon and prove to be a better HC but he is NOT there yet

Rep given. Never let facts get in the way of a good argument.

gtowndawg
12-08-2016, 12:08 PM
At the very least, why can't our PR people leak news that Dan choose to stay at Mississippi State instead of coaching Oregon? Who cares about the details at that point. Just brand that headline into people's brain. And before someone says that's not how it works, I do a lot of PR work for a city. Trust me, it can be done.

Political Hack
12-08-2016, 12:17 PM
I've held from the start that Oregon would not pay Dan what he demands. Period. It's been a non-issue in my mind because the numbers were never going to match up. I'm sure they figured that out quickly and squashed it. I've also held that Miami happened and that a lot of people are pissed about it, which compounds the issues when Oregon rumors surface. Looks like Bo is hearing and seeing things similarly.

Really Clark?
12-08-2016, 12:20 PM
I've held from the start that Oregon would not pay Dan what he demands. Period. It's been a non-issue in my mind because the numbers were never going to match up. I'm sure they figured that out quickly and squashed it. I've also held that Miami happened and that a lot of people are pissed about it, which compounds the issues when Oregon rumors surface. Looks like Bo is hearing and seeing things similarly.

I can agree with that mostly. I think it wasn't Dan's yearly that the issue though. The buyout on top of the buyouts they are paying their staff is a chunk of cash.

dawgday166
12-08-2016, 12:25 PM
Rep given. Never let facts get in the way of a good argument.

So how are these "facts"? Not really an apples vs apples comparison IMO. From what research I've done USF had gone south before Taggart took over. He then built it back up.

Dan just went south in his own program that he had built. We'll see how next year goes, but he ain't all the way back yet.

ETA: In fact it really is very hard to do an apples vs apples comparison most times in CFB. Teams don't always play similar teams. Just saying we're in the mighty SEC W doesn't make the SEC W "mighty".

mparkerfd20
12-08-2016, 12:26 PM

It's the fact that some of the agenda driven people (like Random) that don't realize that THEY ARE HURTING THE PROGRAM when they go to some extremes just to try to prove they are right that I have a problem with. You can't be a bigger dumbass than that in my opinion. I've lost a lot of respect this year for some people on this board I used to think pretty highly of.

I'm in agreement Dan lost me at the first of this year due to how he handled last offseason job hunting. While he may still be listening to opportunities and hell may have even talked with Oregon, I think he's handled it a lot better this year. I can deal with that.

fishwater99
12-08-2016, 12:28 PM

The USF team was 0-12 the year before Taggart came. How is that a good Foundation? WTF

dawgday166
12-08-2016, 12:30 PM
The USF team was 0-12 the year before Taggart came. How is that a good Foundation? WTF

I see 3 - 9.

Really Clark?
12-08-2016, 12:36 PM

They were 3-9 but they were just 2 years from 6 straight bowls and 10 winning seasons in the previous 13 years. That is the foundation. It wasn't destroyed in just 2 years.

99jc
12-08-2016, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=mparkerfd20;667375]It's the fact that some of the agenda driven people (like Random) that don't realize that THEY ARE HURTING THE PROGRAM when they go to some extremes just to try to prove they are right that I have a problem with. You can't be a bigger dumbass than that in my opinion. I've lost a lot of respect this year for some people on this board I used to think pretty highly of.

On a pile of cow shit. He is a poster on a message board that is a self proclaimed know it all on sports. I worked at the athletic office in the past and they don't even know who he is or care. A small time assistant coach (I think) at the alligator swamp school for the blind. His only alligence is too his self and the shit pot stirring he enjoys from the idiots who believe him.

Nm

dawgday166
12-08-2016, 12:44 PM
They were 3-9 but they were just 2 years from 6 straight bowls and 10 winning seasons in the previous 13 years. That is the foundation. It wasn't destroyed in just 2 years.

Jackie destroyed what he had built in 3. I believe it almost always takes a new coach 1 year to put in his system (see Saban at Bama; who probably can do it faster than anyone else not named Meyer or Harbaugh). Then if there had been 2 bad recruiting years ... ?? I'm saying unless you can evaluate all the issues, you really don't know what the circumstances were that he inherited.

I'm also saying Dan to some extent did inherit a fairly decent situation. I'm not a huge Croom fan, but he did do some good things. He had some pretty bad luck his last year with the before the season off-the-field gun situation that got I believe 2 starters kicked off the team. He also was too stubborn about keeping McCorvey. But he did recruit some decent talent his last 2 or so years.

HailState39110
12-08-2016, 12:44 PM
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle between McMuprhy and Bo . Do I think Oregon contacted Mullen and Mullen showed serious interest? Yes . Do I think compensation/buyouts created problems and Oregon decided to go in a different direction? Probably . Conversations were made and one of the two parties decided it was not going to work . Who turned who down is what is bothering people but at the end of they day it doesn't really matter

blacklistedbully
12-08-2016, 12:46 PM

Great post. i would add that the Miami debacle was also made even worse due to the other rumors, true or not, that were allowed to propagate, including UF, Penn State, BC, & Maryland.

Hell, I even have a "connected" VT buddy who was talking to me about the Maryland scuttlebutt he was hearing from his ACC connections.

Lastly, I'd add in what many of us feel.....that Dan, thinking he was getting Miami, let up..took his foot off the gas, and realized too late he was not getting Miami. It killed our recruiting, stalled us out, & seemed to cast a pall over our program, just at the time we should have been capitalizing on the success of 2014. It just felt like a blown opportunity, and one that we've never seen before, and may never see again.

THAT has added a lot to the frustration so many of us feel.

Really Clark?
12-08-2016, 12:51 PM
Jackie destroyed what he had built in 3. I believe it almost always takes a new coach 1 year to put in his system (see Saban at Bama; who probably can do it faster than anyone else not named Meyer or Harbaugh). Then if there had been 2 bad recruiting years ... ?? I'm saying unless you can evaluate all the issues, you really don't know what the circumstances were that he inherited.

I'm also saying Dan to some extent did inherit a fairly decent situation. I'm not a huge Croom fan, but he did do some good things. He had some pretty bad luck his last year with the before the season off-the-field gun situation that got I believe 2 starters kicked off the team. He also was too stubborn about keeping McCorvey. But he did recruit some decent talent his last 2 or so years.

Jackie also had the NCAA helping destroy what we built. That makes a huge difference with Taggert just stepping in for Holtz who didn't fit. He won at East Car and now La Tech. And win his first 2 at USF. We had nearly a decade of problems when Dan came here. Two totally different scenarios. Croon did a few things but the floor Dan has raised here is exponentially higher than when he came and had a bigger hole to dig out of in the toughest division in college football.

fishwater99
12-08-2016, 01:15 PM

Was reading from Oregon site... idiots..

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/12/south_floridas_willie_taggart.html

"Taggart was not the splashy hire some believed UO could land when the coaching search began one week prior, as he led the Bulls to a 24-25 record in four seasons and was 16-20 at Western Kentucky in three prior seasons as the Hilltoppers transitioned to the Football Bowl Subdivision. At each stop, the former Stanford assistant undertook ground-up rebuilds and left the programs better than when he inherited them. The Bulls were winless in 2012, prior to Taggart's hiring, and won two games during his first season, but have won four, eight and 10 games since. The Bulls won 17 of their last 21 games under Taggart."

Liverpooldawg
12-08-2016, 01:35 PM
This morning Bo said Mullen would not have taken the job at Oregon. He also said that Mullen to Miami last year was real.

I'm sure this will lead to a pissing match about Bo's sources vs others, but I think we all know he has pretty good sources, & that this is just one man's opinion.

As some have said all along. It's time to get behind Mullen and this football program. We are about to have a historic opportunity in this state. We all need to be pulling in the same direction.

RougeDawg
12-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Bartoo also thinks Mullen is the best thing since Nick Saban. He thinks everyone looking for a new coach should try to hire Mullen first.

Well if you use extrapolation and put Saban's talent on a Mullen team imagine the production. If we had 7 or so NFL players on defense now with ******* offense we could win the west every other year.

dawgday166
12-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Well if you use extrapolation and put Saban's talent on a Mullen team imagine the production. If we had 7 or so NFL players on defense now with ******* offense we could win the west every other year.

That's like recruiting better ... you know. Extrapolation doesn't take into consideration intangible characteristics. Just like Vegas odds don't either.

HSVDawg
12-08-2016, 01:52 PM

So how are these "facts"? Not really an apples vs apples comparison IMO. From what research I've done USF had gone south before Taggart took over. .

1) It is a fact that USF went 3-9 and not 0-12 (like somehow 2 posters thought) the year immediately before Taggart took over.

2) It is a fact that USF had an extended run of bowl games before their downturn that preceded Taggart's hire, indicating that they weren't some downtrodden, hopeless program.

3) It is a fact that USF had more resources / foundation when compared to their immediate conference competition when Taggart took over than what MSU had when Mullen took over.

4) It is a fact that the region where USF resides produces more D1 players than anywhere in the country except maybe East Texas or Southern CA (and far far more than MS).

5) It is a fact that Mullen's career record is substatially better as a HC than Taggart's.

6) It is a fact that Taggart's 2016 season > Mullen's 2016 season.

If you want to look at all that objectively and say that #6 outweighs #'s 1-5 put together, go ahead.

lamont
12-08-2016, 01:59 PM
It's a fact Western Kentucky was 0-12 when Taggart took that job. He had them winning by his 2nd year

USF had won 5 and then down to 3 the 2 years before Taggert took over. They were sliding downward. He rebuilt the program and won 10 games for the 1st time in school history this year- season 4. By comparison- Mullen took 6 years to win 10.

Willie is known as a hard worker and recruiter- and it's easy to see why he would be chosen over Mullen. Especially when you factor in how he helped Harbaugh build Stanford into a winner.

RougeDawg
12-08-2016, 02:09 PM
It's a fact Western Kentucky was 0-12 when Taggart took that job. He had them winning by his 2nd year

USF had won 5 and then down to 3 the 2 years before Taggert took over. They were sliding downward. He rebuilt the program and won 10 games for the 1st time in school history this year- season 4. By comparison- Mullen took 6 years to win 10.

Willie is known as a hard worker and recruiter- and it's easy to see why he would be chosen over Mullen. Especially when you factor in how he helped Harbaugh build Stanford into a winner.

Mullen was also coaching in the toughest division in the nations best conference.

QuadrupleOption
12-08-2016, 02:11 PM

Dude, USF plays in the ****ing AAC. Are you seriously going to claim Taggert's done a better job at USF than Mullen has done at MSU? How many National Champions, runner-ups, and contenders has MSU played since Mullen has been here compared to USF?

C'mon mane.

lamont
12-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Taggart also doesn't get to walk into recruit's living rooms as an SEC coach. Harder to recruit when you aren't in a P5. Works both ways

Political Hack
12-08-2016, 02:18 PM
Taggart has Pac-12 experience and is cheaper. It's a no brainer. I don't understand why this is hard to process. Oregon wasn't going to pay Dan and Dan wasn't going to reduce his salary.

Really Clark?
12-08-2016, 02:42 PM

USF won 8 & 9 games 5 times in the 8 years they were in the Big East before it folded in 2013. Levitt took them from FCS to the Big East in just 5 years. Allen also helped get that 8-4 last year and redo the defense. They had the offense this year to over come a big slip by the defense. With a good returning class and another very easy schedule again. What have they averaged? 80th his 4 years or This year it was 80th