PDA

View Full Version : OT: NEVER FORGET

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2016, 03:46 PM
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-pearl-harbor-anniversary-20161207-story.html

starkvegasdawg
12-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Heard on the radio on the way to work today that they ordered 200,000 purple hearts and 250,000 body bags in preparation for a mainland assault on Japan. Obviously, the body bags have since been discarded, but they said the govt has not had to order any purple hearts since then as they are still using the ones ordered for an invasion that the atomic bomb prevented from happening.

Jack Lambert
12-07-2016, 03:55 PM
You will find this hard to believe but my grand mother had two brothers there. One on the Oklahoma and the other on Arizona. The one on the Oklahoma was on deck jumped over board and swimed through burning oil. He survived but was medically discharged due to burns and injuries. Her other brother who was on the Arizona was a rough neck who liked to fight. He got into a fight the night of December 6th and locked up on shore in the brig. He sat there while his ship sunk and ship mates died. He never forgave himself. He did finish the war but live his life as a truck driver and alcoholic.

SapperDawg
12-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Heard on the radio on the way to work today that they ordered 200,000 purple hearts and 250,000 body bags in preparation for a mainland assault on Japan. Obviously, the body bags have since been discarded, but they said the govt has not had to order any purple hearts since then as they are still using the ones ordered for an invasion that the atomic bomb prevented from happening.

Not sure they will ever run out. I think the current estimate is somewhere around 50-55,000 purple hearts in the War on Terror.

Her other brother who was on the Arizona was a rough neck who liked to fight. He got into a fight the night of December 6th and locked up on shore in the brig. He sat there while his ship sunk and ship mates died. He never forgave himself. He did finish the war but live his life as a truck driver and alcoholic.

Damn, that's got to be tough on a man's soul.

If anyone is a WWII movie buff, go watch "The Best Years of Our Lives". This movie has done the absolute best storytelling on the serviceman reintegrating back in family life/society that I have ever seen. I watched this plenty of times in my youth, but the the message really hit home after my mobilization and deployments in 03 and 06, as I was going through these same emotions. Shame that we have known about the troubles warriors face coming home for over 70 years, and we as a military/VA still cant get it right.

Jack Lambert
12-07-2016, 04:23 PM
Not sure they will ever run out. I think the current estimate is somewhere around 50-55,000 purple hearts in the War on Terror.

Damn, that's got to be tough on a man's soul.

If anyone is a WWII movie buff, go watch "The Best Years of Our Lives". This movie has done the absolute best storytelling on the serviceman reintegrating back in family life/society that I have ever seen. I watched this plenty of times in my youth, but the the message really hit home after my mobilization and deployments in 03 and 06, as I was going through these same emotions. Shame that we have known about the troubles warriors face coming home for over 70 years, and we as a military/VA still cant get it right.

I watched Sgt York before I went to Desert Storm. Big Mistake.

drunkernhelldawg
12-07-2016, 04:24 PM

Glad you made it back, Private Jack.

Jack Lambert
12-07-2016, 04:26 PM
Glad you made it back, Private Jack.

Thanks but I did nothing special.

drunkernhelldawg
12-07-2016, 04:38 PM
Thanks but I did nothing special.

Marine? Asking because it seems like every Marine i know says that.

SapperDawg
12-07-2016, 04:46 PM

SGT York is a great story and movie....just wish I could quit saying "Imma thankin...." every 30 seconds after watching it.

BrunswickDawg
12-07-2016, 04:51 PM
You will find this hard to believe but my grand mother had two brothers there. One on the Oklahoma and the other on Arizona. The one on the Oklahoma was on deck jumped over board and swimed through burning oil. He survived but was medically discharged due to burns and injuries. Her other brother who was on the Arizona was a rough neck who liked to fight. He got into a fight the night of December 6th and locked up on shore in the brig. He sat there while his ship sunk and ship mates died. He never forgave himself. He did finish the war but live his life as a truck driver and alcoholic.

I'll believe a lot - just from some of stories I heard from my grandfather and his 6 brothers who all served in WWII. His brother Jack was there - a SeaBee. Spent time diving the wrecks to repair Pearl afterwards. He told some real horror stories. The interesting thing to me was some the hilarious and/or downright unbelievable stories they told of things that happened. I miss those guys every day.

Jack Lambert
12-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Marine? Asking because it seems like every Marine i know says that.

Yes Marine Corp.

drunkernhelldawg
12-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Yes Marine Corp.

We don't appreciate it like we should; lip service is only so valuable. But it is special even if nobody ever knows it.

BeardoMSU
12-07-2016, 06:19 PM

So you insisted on "wetting your sights" before every shot?***