12-07-2016, 01:40 PM
We're 59th.

http://usat.ly/2h6xgnt

Cary Hudson's little bro
12-07-2016, 03:06 PM
ouch....

Maryland - Rick Court - #19
UCONN - Matt Balis - #32

Bama and LSU spending $5 million on asst strength staff! State $3.2 which is 27th nationally

TaleofTwoDogs
12-07-2016, 03:10 PM
Wow, Tennessee is #101, no wonder they sux. $69K for a strength coach at a SEC school, no way. Georgia is not much higher than us at #51 and of course, Vandy doesn't report salaries but I would think they are below us.

HSVDawg
12-07-2016, 03:17 PM
Meh, strength coaches are a dime a dozen. There's not really that many ways to get guys to lift weights and do cardio. We have to pick our battles and this isn't an area where we need to splurge to keep up with the Joneses. Would much rather give that extra money to on-field assistants.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2016, 03:24 PM
ouch....

Maryland - Rick Court - #19
UCONN - Matt Balis - #32

Bama and LSU spending $5 million on asst strength staff! State $3.2 which is 27th nationally

Neither of those teams are getting much bang for their buck.

Really Clark?
12-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Meh, strength coaches are a dime a dozen. There's not really that many ways to get guys to lift weights and do cardio. We have to pick our battles and this isn't an area where we need to splurge to keep up with the Joneses. Would much rather give that extra money to on-field assistants.

Disagree with that on 2 major points. First there are many ways to implement the type of strength and conditioning program that is needed for the players in your program. There should not be a one size fits all approach. Secondly, the S & C coach spends the most time with the players and is a key part of running the program and system you set up. They help players buy in to what you are doing.

HoopsDawg
12-07-2016, 03:35 PM
Disagree with that on 2 major points. First there are many ways to implement the type of strength and conditioning program that is needed for the players in your program. There should not be a one size fits all approach. Secondly, the S & C coach spends the most time with the players and is a key part of running the program and system you set up. They help players buy in to what you are doing.

I tend to agree with HSV, but when Mullen was first hired the said the S&C Coach was his most important hire.

HSVDawg
12-07-2016, 03:39 PM

I totally agree that they are important. That still doesn't mean there aren't a lot of them out there. And the average salary for them compared to other assistants bears that out. We've had 3 different S&C coaches under Mullen, and we haven't struggled getting guys to develop their bodies under any of them. That's not to say we shouldn't ever give Savage a raise, but we should prioritize being competitive with the on-field assistants first.

Really Clark?
12-07-2016, 03:41 PM
I totally agree that they are important. That still doesn't mean there aren't a lot of them out there. And the average salary for them compared to other assistants bears that out. We've had 3 different S&C coaches under Mullen, and we haven't struggled getting guys to develop their bodies under any of them.

I get ya.

Cooterpoot
12-07-2016, 03:43 PM
We'll spend $100,000 on billboards for NFL players but skimp on the S/C coach. Makes perfect sense.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-07-2016, 03:46 PM
I think you are missing something here...The fact that they are getting to the NFL should tell you something.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Southern Miss is ahead of us. Embarrassing.

maroonmania
12-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Yea, we should invest more in the S&C coach but the real thing we are missing the boat on is defensive coordinator. Given that Mullen pretty much dictates the offense, for us, the DC is the 2nd most important position on staff. We should be finding the very best we can, pay him 1+ million per year, and tell him its his baby. I don't know that money was even the key factor, but losing Geoff Collins and Manny Diaz to significant raises at other P5 schools to get what we got this year on defense was a killer. If you paired a really elite DC with Mullen's offense THEN you would have something. All we use our DC position for is a training ground for other P5 programs.

I seen it dawg
12-07-2016, 04:12 PM

Ok you have me convinced now...no ****ing clue whatsoever.

I seen it dawg
12-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Arguing the S&C coach and program isn't crucial and hugely important is incomprehensible. Flat out wrong.

HSVDawg
12-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Ok you have me convinced now...no ****ing clue whatsoever.

^^^The butthurt is strong with this one.

Arguing the S&C coach and program isn't crucial and hugely important is incomprehensible. Flat out wrong.

Every bit of this post is 100% true. Of course, nobody argued that. But that is neither here or there.

HSVDawg
12-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Yea, we should invest more in the S&C coach but the real thing we are missing the boat on is defensive coordinator. Given that Mullen pretty much dictates the offense, for us, the DC is the 2nd most important position on staff. We should be finding the very best we can, pay him 1+ million per year, and tell him its his baby. I don't know that money was even the key factor, but losing Geoff Collins and Manny Diaz to significant raises at other P5 schools to get what we got this year on defense was a killer. If you paired a really elite DC with Mullen's offense THEN you would have something. All we use our DC position for is a training ground for other P5 programs.

Very good points. Agreed 100%.

Bubb Rubb
12-07-2016, 05:31 PM

Strength coach is the one place we should be investing. If you want to see the biggest difference in effort and mental toughness in our 2010 team vs. 2016, look at the strength and conditioning staff. That relentless effort and strain that Mullen is always talking about - the strength program is where they are supposed to develop that. It's one of the most important parts of the program in my opinion.

HSVDawg
12-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Strength coach is the one place we should be investing. If you want to see the biggest difference in effort and mental toughness in our 2010 team vs. 2016, look at the strength and conditioning staff. That relentless effort and strain that Mullen is always talking about - the strength program is where they are supposed to develop that. It's one of the most important parts of the program in my opinion.

You raise some good points as we definitely seem to have lacked toughness the last couple of years compared to 2010. However, the question becomes how do you really know who is to blame for that? Maryland and UConn haven't exactly been setting the world on fire since Balis and Court left. You could just as easily blame Mullen or the on-field assistants for lack of fire and motivation as the S&C coach, I would think. And if you do decide S&C is to blame, do you suggest firing Savage and making a play at a hire from a big time school? I admittedly haven't followed it much, but I don't recall a sitting coach ever firing a S&C coach. The only exception being Croom when he had to fire whatshisname that got into it with the volleyball coach, but that wasn't performance related.

TUSK
12-07-2016, 06:10 PM
I believe Scott Cochran may be almost as valuable to Bama's success as the OC/DC....

HoopsDawg
12-07-2016, 06:15 PM

Those 9 future NFL players on defense didn't hurt either.

I seen it dawg
12-07-2016, 06:29 PM
^^^The butthurt is strong with this one.

Every bit of that is 100% true. Of course, nobody argued that. But that is neither here or there.

Yeah no argument was made bc you were all alone in meh they are a dime a dozen. Means not important. Whatever you say though.

BB30
12-07-2016, 06:36 PM
You raise some good points as we definitely seem to have lacked toughness the last couple of years conpared to 2010. However, the question becomes how do you really know who is to blame for that? Maryland and UConn haven't exactly been setting the world on fire since Balis and Court left. You could just as easily blame Mullen or the on-field assistants for lack of fire and motivation as the S&C coach, I would think. And if you do decide S&C is to blame, do you suggest firing Savage and making a play at a hire from a big time school? I admittedly haven't followed it much, but I don't recall a sitting coach ever firing a S&C coach. The only exception being Croom when he had to fire whatshisname that got into it with the volleyball coach, but that wasn't performance related.

Yes, after talking with a guy that works with the S and C football there is a huge difference in what Balis was doing and what the new guy is doing. He said the workouts are way more laid back and less aggressive now than they were when Balis was here. He said we do more of your general high school S and C and less of the odd mental toughness/push yourself past the mental limit type of stuff. So basically more standard IE your general 3x8 on bench,squat incline etc to maintain 3x6,4,2 squat etc. all good stuff for maintaining or adding strength dependent on the time of year and what you want to accomplish which every program still does. But, he said we are doing less of the mental strain workouts putting bodies through complete hell IE getting in squat position and holding a plate straight out for a certain amount of time... thats just a simple example of a mental strength workout aimed to push yourself past a normal limit. The things that help build a mental toughness.

Bubb Rubb
12-07-2016, 07:05 PM
Those 9 future NFL players on defense didn't hurt either.

Balis made. They will all tell you that, too.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-07-2016, 07:57 PM
I believe Scott Cochran may be almost as valuable to Bama's success as the OC/DC....

No troll Tusk...why do you think he is so important and what is he responsible for that makes such a big impact?

TUSK
12-07-2016, 08:03 PM
No troll Tusk...why do you think he is so important and what is he responsible for that makes such a big impact?

the "4th Quarter Program" gets high praise for player conditioning... He's an excellent motivator (ancillary)... He's done well manipulating player weight to help the athletes adapt to changes in philosophy...

I'm not saying he's "as important" as coordinators, just that it seems his impact is greater than the sum of the parts....

HSVDawg
12-07-2016, 08:06 PM
Yeah no argument was made bc you were all alone in meh they are a dime a dozen. Means not important. Whatever you say though.

Uh...that's actually not what "dime a dozen" means at all. Just....nevermind.

HSVDawg
12-07-2016, 08:10 PM
Yes, after talking with a guy that works with the S and C football there is a huge difference in what Balis was doing and what the new guy is doing. He said the workouts are way more laid back and less aggressive now than they were when Balis was here. He said we do more of your general high school S and C and less of the odd mental toughness/push yourself past the mental limit type of stuff. So basically more standard IE your general 3x8 on bench,squat incline etc to maintain 3x6,4,2 squat etc. all good stuff for maintaining or adding strength dependent on the time of year and what you want to accomplish which every program still does. But, he said we are doing less of the mental strain workouts putting bodies through complete hell IE getting in squat position and holding a plate straight out for a certain amount of time... thats just a simple example of a mental strength workout aimed to push yourself past a normal limit. The things that help build a mental toughness.

That is interesting to hear and not something I've seen posted before. Do I infer that to mean you are in favor of replacing Savage? And if so, what would your budget look like for a replacement?

coastdoglover
12-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Southern Miss is ahead of us. Embarrassing.

USM has a great strength coach and I wish we had him.