PDA

View Full Version : Mullen comments on job openings

starkvegasdawg
12-07-2016, 12:48 PM
"I don't like commenting on other jobs, I've had several schools reach out to me this year," Mullen Said. "I'm very happy at Mississippi State and I think we are working on an extension for me to stay there."

Todd4State
12-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Hallelujah! That wasn't so bad now was it?

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2016, 01:06 PM
Hallelujah! That wasn't so bad now was it?

He has said it before. I guess he will have to say it again when the next one gets started. I'm sure that won't be long.

GreenheadDawg
12-07-2016, 01:12 PM
If he has some of the same fire I saw towards the end of the year I hope he does stay for a while.

msbulldog
12-07-2016, 01:38 PM
Glad to hear it Coach, we're behind you 100%! Hail State!

BB30
12-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Fantastic.

Todd4State
12-07-2016, 02:10 PM
He has said it before. I guess he will have to say it again when the next one gets started. I'm sure that won't be long.

You're right he will. Or it will be used against us in recruiting again. And again the next time.

Cary Hudson's little bro
12-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Cohen Effect

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 05:22 PM
"I don't like commenting on other jobs, I've had several schools reach out to me this year," Mullen Said. "I'm very happy at Mississippi State and I think we are working on an extension for me to stay there."

I don't like watching a $4+ million salary come in at 5-7, with losses to USA, BYU, an ugly win over UMass, and ugly, heartless beatdown vs Auburn, and game vs UPig where we don't force a single punt.

Who's got more to, "not like" Dan?

For what you are paid...you can damn sure come out with a statement like this early in-the-process when the rumors are being spread by credible sources.

Thanks for the statement, Next time, please do it before it's announced you're not getting or taking the job. We much prefer our recruits believe you're going to be here.

dawgday166
12-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Glad to hear it Coach, we're behind you 100%! Hail State!

Cautiously so. However, if we come out the first few games next year playing 2 hand touch football, I'm gonna be pissed.

Really Clark?
12-07-2016, 05:49 PM
I don't like watching a $4+ million salary come in at 5-7, with losses to USA, BYU, an ugly win over UMass, and ugly, heartless beatdown vs Auburn, and game vs UPig where we don't force a single punt.

For what you are paid...you can damn sure come out with a statement like this early in-the-process when the rumors are being spread by credible sources.

Thanks for the statement, Next time, please do it before it's announced you're not getting or taking the job. We much prefer our recruits believe you're going to be here.

12/1/15 before Miami job was finalized his statement at the Conerly:

"I’m not talking about any of that,” Mullen said. “Every year I come here, every single year you guys ask me the same questions. I’m not going to waste time commenting on rumors on the Internet.” “The only year you haven’t asked is my first year as a head coach,” Mullen said. “So it’s the same thing. Just because it’s on the Internet doesn’t mean it’s true.” “A couple years ago, I was here at dinner while I was signing a contract at Penn State and then the next year I was in Colorado and like four or five different cities in one day when I was sitting here at this award,” Mullen said. “So it’s the exact same thing.”

And this was before he knew that Richt was going to change his mind the following day and accept the Miami job and just following the EB that Sat 11/28.

BB30
12-07-2016, 06:26 PM
12/1/15 before Miami job was finalized his statement at the Conerly:

"I’m not talking about any of that,” Mullen said. “Every year I come here, every single year you guys ask me the same questions. I’m not going to waste time commenting on rumors on the Internet.” “The only year you haven’t asked is my first year as a head coach,” Mullen said. “So it’s the same thing. Just because it’s on the Internet doesn’t mean it’s true.” “A couple years ago, I was here at dinner while I was signing a contract at Penn State and then the next year I was in Colorado and like four or five different cities in one day when I was sitting here at this award,” Mullen said. “So it’s the exact same thing.”

And this was before he knew that Richt was going to change his mind the following day and accept the Miami job and just following the EB that Sat 11/28.

We just have to accept the fact that regardless of what Dan actually says several posters here are going to continue to believe the articles etc. that are written about Mullen wanting this job or a candidate for that job. ESPN and other sources just can't believe that he would choose to stay in Starkville.

smootness
12-07-2016, 07:12 PM

People have to quit acting like $4 million is some insane figure that should mean you're the top coach in the country.

It is merely in the competitive range in the SEC. It's the cost of doing business.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 07:44 PM
We just have to accept the fact that regardless of what Dan actually says several posters here are going to continue to believe the articles etc. that are written about Mullen wanting this job or a candidate for that job. ESPN and other sources just can't believe that he would choose to stay in Starkville.

Why do you continue to mischaracterize this?

The issue isn't about him "wanting this job or being a candidate"...it's always been about how he has usually allowed those rumors to go uncontested publicly when put out by credible sources.

I don't have a problem with Dan considering other jobs, as long as they are higher-tier. I just want him to publicly deny interest and reaffirm he is here for the long-haul whether true or not, so as not to screw up our recruiting.

Why does this continue to be difficult for some of you to grasp?

Turfdawg67
12-07-2016, 07:50 PM

Yes we know how you feel... you said the same thing like 10 times over 5 threads yesterday alone. So any 17'n bogus SDS report, we need Mullen to hold a presser immediately! Got it.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 07:52 PM
People have to quit acting like $4 million is some insane figure that should mean you're the top coach in the country.

It is merely in the competitive range in the SEC. It's the cost of doing business.

There are but 15 HC's in the country who make more. There are only 20 who make $4 mill or more. Are we a Top 16 program?

No...so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Dan to go-the-extra-mile when it comes to denying interest in other jobs whenever those rumors are circulated by credible sources.

Poor Dan, having to deny it 2 or 3 times a year. I bet he cries all the way to the bank at the mere thought of how much a PITA that is.***

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
12-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Why do you continue to mischaracterize this?

The issue isn't about him "wanting this job or being a candidate"...it's always been about how he has usually allowed those rumors to go uncontested publicly when put out by credible sources.

I don't have a problem with Dan considering other jobs, as long as they are higher-tier. I just want him to publicly deny interest and reaffirm he is here for the long-haul whether true or not, so as not to screw up our recruiting.

Why does this continue to be difficult for some of you to grasp?

How many coaches have you seen publicly deny jobs? And how many times does he have to do it for you folks to shut up?

I guess you would like a "pine box" comment? Would that work?

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 07:55 PM
Yes we know how you feel... you said the same thing like 10 times over 5 threads yesterday alone. So any 17'n bogus SDS report, we need Mullen to hold a presser immediately! Got it.

Well there you go AGAIN. If I'm posting about it 10 times, it because I'm responding to the BS your side keeps spouting. And AGAIN..I don't expect him to respond to every MB or BS fan-site rumor. I expect him to do it when it's SI, ESPN, CBS Sports, his good buddy Mike Belotti, USA Today, etc, etc.

Perhaps if you stopped misquoting those of us who feel the same way, we wouldn't need to post as much to correct your BS.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 08:04 PM
How many coaches have you seen publicly deny jobs? And how many times does he have to do it for you folks to shut up?

How many coaches make a Top 16 salary, but don't head a program anywhere close to being a Top 16 program?

He has to do it as many times as the SI's, ESPN's USA Today's, CBS Sports, etc say it. And if he says it publicly once or twice early on, that's probably all he'd need to say, followed by, "I've already answered that...I'm not interested in any other job".

We pay $4.3 million per year....the 16th highest in all of college football. If we're not averaging anything close to a Top 16 ranking, we have a right to expect his cooperation with this shit.

He doesn't need to do the "pine box" BS. He just has to say, "Those are false rumors. I have no interest in coaching elsewhere. I am happy here at Mississippi State, and plan to be here for years to come. I am not talking to any other schools, period".

He should say this, whether true or not, because it helps our school's perception, helps our recruiting, AND WE DAMN WELL PAY HIM ENOUGH TO EXPECT IT!

smootness
12-07-2016, 08:12 PM
There are but 15 HC's in the country who make more. There are only 20 who make $4 mill or more. Are we a Top 16 program?

No...so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Dan to go-the-extra-mile when it comes to denying interest in other jobs whenever those rumors are circulated by credible sources.

Poor Dan, having to deny it 2 or 3 times a year. I bet he cries all the way to the bank at the mere thought of how much a PITA that is.***

Give me the number in the SEC.

You complained about him going 5-7 at that salary. Again, it's the cost of doing business. It's not as though we're outspending our competition.

Turfdawg67
12-07-2016, 08:15 PM

Just quit correcting him and maybe he will return to RebelGrove and argue with them... they're less intelligent.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
12-07-2016, 08:17 PM
Blacklisted bully say: He doesn't need to do the "pine box" BS. He just has to say, "Those are false rumors. I have no interest in coaching elsewhere. I am happy here at Mississippi State, and plan to be here for years to come. I am not talking to any other schools, period".

He did say this. Again. So why are you still bitching?

Mark Dantonio went 3-9 this year - should the other MSU fire him? Also, Les Miles, Hugh Freeze, and Charlie Strong say hi.

Tbonewannabe
12-07-2016, 08:21 PM

It is higher than LSU or UGA.

Joe Schmedlap
12-07-2016, 08:28 PM
This is true, and yet we could pay a hell of a lot less to get a 5-7 record.
I'm all for the guy denying interest in other jobs every day and twice on Sunday if it helps recruiting. Recruiting sure as hell is not a strength for DM's staff, nor apparently is roster management. So denying BS rumors weekly would be the right thing to do for a 4.2+ million dollar paycheck.

You complained about him going 5-7 at that salary. Again, it's the cost of doing business. It's not as though we're outspending our competition.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 08:30 PM

I complained that I didn't like seeing us go 5-7 the way we did (USA, UMass, AU, BYU, UPIG), and made reference to the salary because it was in direct response to Dan's post about "not liking to comment on other jobs".

You know damned well the context of my post was in regard to him getting paid more than enough to do some things he "doesn't like".

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Just quit correcting him and maybe he will return to RebelGrove and argue with them... they're less intelligent.

Irony. I'd put my IQ up against yours any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. Your clear inability to perceive nuance and/or your continued insistence on making straw-man arguments betrays your deficiency.

If you were bright enough to discern the difference, you wouldn't continue to make the same mistakes.

smootness
12-07-2016, 08:33 PM
I've seen a whole bunch of people on this board say things like above, as in, 'we can go 5-7 for a lot less than $4 million.' That's the dumb part.

Todd4State
12-07-2016, 08:43 PM
I've seen a whole bunch of people on this board say things like above, as in, 'we can go 5-7 for a lot less than $4 million.' That's the dumb part.

How is THAT dumb? Croom just about did that and we paid him a lot less than 4 million? What should we pay to go 13-0? 12 million?

Joe Schmedlap
12-07-2016, 08:44 PM

What's dumb about it? I'm not advocating to replace DM, but 5-7 is pretty damn bad for a guy in his 8th year given the weak OOC played. Mullen by no means earned anything close to a 4.2 million dollar salary this year. Bad personnel choices and ridiculous DC performance were all on DM. Mullen does some things exceptionally well. Yet in other areas he is bad to borderline awful. I'd like to see improvement in areas of weakness for the kind of dough being thrown around up there.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 08:46 PM
Blacklisted bully say: He doesn't need to do the "pine box" BS. He just has to say, "Those are false rumors. I have no interest in coaching elsewhere. I am happy here at Mississippi State, and plan to be here for years to come. I am not talking to any other schools, period".

He did say this. Again. So why are you still bitching?

Mark Dantonio went 3-9 this year - should the other MSU fire him? Also, Les Miles, Hugh Freeze, and Charlie Strong say hi.

I'm glad he said it. He should have said it much sooner. By waiting, the perception can be that he waited until he was told he wasn't getting the job. I want to see him address it sooner and definitively in the future.

Remember how frustrated we all got when Dan kept running Perkins up-the-middle for no gain.....killing drives his senior year? It took LP getting hurt before Dan "adjusted". Did he learn from that mistake, or were we subjected to Holloway up-the-middle for no gain until H got hurt this year?

Dantonio has a winning % of .725, Dan is at .611.

Dantonio has had Mich State ranked 6 times in 10 years, Dan 2 times in 8 years.

Dantonio has had Mich State ranked in the Top 10 4 times, Dan zero times

Dantonio has had Mich State ranked in the Top 5 twice, Dan zero.

Dantonio makes the same money Mullen does. Are you seriously trying to compare what Dantonio has accomplished to what Mullen has??

smootness
12-07-2016, 08:51 PM
How is THAT dumb? Croom just about did that and we paid him a lot less than 4 million? What should we pay to go 13-0? 12 million?

Uh...because we're not paying $4 million so that we can go 5-7?

msstate7
12-07-2016, 08:55 PM
I'm glad he said it. He should have said it much sooner. By waiting, the perception can be that he waited until he was told he wasn't getting the job. I want to see him address it sooner and definitively in the future.

Remember how frustrated we all got when Dan kept running Perkins up-the-middle for no gain.....killing drives his senior year? It took LP getting hurt before Dan "adjusted". Did he learn from that mistake, or were we subjected to Holloway up-the-middle for no gain until H got hurt this year?

Dantonio makes the same money Mullen does. Are you seriously trying to compare what Dantonio has accomplished to what Mullen has??

I thought the basis of your problem with Mullen is that we pay him too much to go 5-7... you know like THIS year. Well if that's the basis, how much worse is dantonio going 3-9?

Turfdawg67
12-07-2016, 08:57 PM

Hey genius, you comparing the Big 10 East, where Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland reside & PSU and Michigan have all sucked until the last year or two, to the SEC West?? Really?!?

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Uh...because we're not paying $4 million so that we can go 5-7?

This is true. It's not as if Dan hadn't accomplished a ton here. I think the point he was trying to make is, at that salary, we shouldn't have to endure 5-7 seasons, given our OOC.

I actually care more about how we played, rather than our record. Had we gone 5-7 losing to teams that were at least as talented as we are, and we'd played close to our potential, I wouldn't be pissed at Dan. But for me, efforts like what we saw in the win vs UMass, for instance, really pisses me off, and in my mind IS unacceptable under a coach making bank like Dan.

One can argue "stinkers" like this happen once-in-a-while, but this year there were multiple examples. That can't happen without serious repercussions, IMO.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Hey genius, you comparing the Big 10 East, where Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland reside & PSU and Michigan have all sucked until the last year or two, to the SEC West?? Really?!?

Hey dumbass, we are talking 2 Top 5, 4 Top 10, and 6 rankings in 10 years. Yes,the SEC is almost always tougher....but if you think getting to those rankings playing in the B10 is easier than going 29-35 in the SEC when we play UK and UNM 16 times, you are a bigger moron than I thought.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-07-2016, 09:29 PM
Whether or not Mullen was offered the job or not nobody knows. We all know he had interest in the Miami job last season. That's no secret. I don't see how you become a top 2 finalist for a job on accident.

Turfdawg67
12-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Hey dumbass, we are talking 2 Top 5, 4 Top 10, and 6 rankings in 10 years. Yes,the SEC is almost always tougher....but if you think getting to those rankings playing in the B10 is easier than going 29-35 in the SEC when we play UK and UNM 16 times, you are a bigger moron than I thought.

If we played in a conference with Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland and with Penn St/Michigan down... yeah, we'd have a bunch of top 10 finishes. It's not rocket science dude. How could Dantonio have such a bad year in his "10th year". Tell us ole sage of the message boards.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 10:13 PM
I thought the basis of your problem with Mullen is that we pay him too much to go 5-7... you know like THIS year. Well if that's the basis, how much worse is dantonio going 3-9?

Dantonio has done nothing but build up a huge reservoir of loyalty and support. if I'm not mistaken, he has also quickly quelled any rumors of him going elsewhere.

But to be clear AGAIN (I've posted this multiple times before), if he goes back to the old Dan...learns from his mistakes (like LP & H up-the-middle, mostly terrible clock management, meddling with the defense, etc), and at least acts like he wants to be here, stopping every credible rumor, true or not.....then I want that Dan more than any other coach we could possibly get.

I seen it dawg
12-07-2016, 10:27 PM
What's dumb about it? I'm not advocating to replace DM, but 5-7 is pretty damn bad for a guy in his 8th year given the weak OOC played. Mullen by no means earned anything close to a 4.2 million dollar salary this year. Bad personnel choices and ridiculous DC performance were all on DM. Mullen does some things exceptionally well. Yet in other areas he is bad to borderline awful. I'd like to see improvement in areas of weakness for the kind of dough being thrown around up there.

Where are all the geniuses raising hell about this post and replying to it? None. Because it's dead ass spot on.

blacklistedbully
12-07-2016, 10:27 PM
If we played in a conference with Indiana, Rutgers and Maryland and with Penn St/Michigan down... yeah, we'd have a bunch of top 10 finishes. It's not rocket science dude. How could Dantonio have such a bad year in his "10th year". Tell us ole sage of the message boards.

Wow. Decent-to-excellent teams Dantonio has beaten:
Oregon
Michigan 7 times
Ohio State 3 times
Penn State 4 times
Iowa 4 times
Notre Dame 4 times
Wisconsin 4 times
NorthWestern 5 times
Georgia
Boise State
TCU
Nebraska 2 times
Stanford
Baylor
Pitt

Sure, there were a few times with some of these teams where they weren't particularly good, but most of the time they were pretty good to even great in some cases. Just stop.

thedawginme
12-08-2016, 12:55 PM
You're right he will. Or it will be used against us in recruiting again. And again the next time.

Yeah as soon as those words came out of his mouth all other teams stopped using rumors as recruiting tactics..... right.