PDA

View Full Version : Mullen MSU working on Extension

BrunswickDawg
12-07-2016, 12:10 PM
I'm going to break a rule and link this shit -

Interestingly, the CL changed the headline from "Report: Mullen was runner up for Oregon Opening" to "MSU Mullen working on extension". But, there is no bias or BS in their reports.....

-Nope. You can mention the source, but don't link. F*CK the CL. LET THEM DIE.
-Scoobadawg

BulldogDX55
12-07-2016, 12:14 PM
"Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true."

Great advice coach. Hopefully others here will learn a lesson.

TrapGame
12-07-2016, 12:18 PM
I'm going to break a rule and link this shit -

Interestingly, the CL changed the headline from "Report: Mullen was runner up for Oregon Opening" to "MSU Mullen working on extension". But, there is no bias or BS in their reports.....

https://memecrunch.com/meme/QCHJ/you-broke-the-rule/image.jpg?w=776&c=1

I seen it dawg
12-07-2016, 12:21 PM

So simple...

I seen it dawg
12-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Now get to work on shaking up the country club and let's get rolling.

shoeless joe
12-07-2016, 12:24 PM

+1

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Seems there are other sources. This one jibes with mine.

lamont
12-07-2016, 12:36 PM
I was curious to see what we would do. Need to see if the buyout goes back up and or stays the same ala Malzahn's contract coming into this season

ILOATHEBears
12-07-2016, 12:40 PM

Wait just a darn minute. Are u telling me not all I read on elitedawgs is true?

Commercecomet24
12-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Imagine that, apparently he does want to he here. I guess everything on the internet isn't true after all! I've been duped lol

lamont
12-07-2016, 12:43 PM
He doesn't have a choice when he can't land another job

thf24
12-07-2016, 12:45 PM

You honestly don't think, given the circumstances and who ended up with the job, that Oregon was his if he wanted it?

Covercorner2
12-07-2016, 12:45 PM

Yea, no one wants Dan Mullen. Lol.

Cooterpoot
12-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Dan Mullen is our coach will be for some time. Some of you slap-dicks need to get over it. Oh, and his buddy Hev's OL was the best unit on the team this year. I know it's killing some of you.

Really Clark?
12-07-2016, 12:47 PM

And you and your sources had jack on this extension for the last few weeks even though it was being rumored on multiple sites. I even asked about it earlier today and nothing. It was in the works or at least discussions about it before Oregon was even open. So that stance is shaky at best. And with Sexton in charge now, do you really think he doesn't know how to direct all this? He knows what he is doing

CadaverDawg
12-07-2016, 12:48 PM
You honestly don't think, given the circumstances and who ended up with the job, that Oregon was his if he wanted it?

Exactly. If Mullen wanted to go to Oregon, he could have. Mullen WANTS to stay at Mississippi State (at least this year). Awesome news

Chip
12-07-2016, 12:48 PM

This

TrapGame
12-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Mullen's body language and demeanor in November were total polar opposites from the last two seasons. He has been telegraphing pretty hard that he's staying put.

SDDawg
12-07-2016, 12:51 PM

Hold on now: "can't land another job" is way overstated. Hasn't found another job that's better for him? That I'd agree with. He's here because he wants to be - doesn't have to be and isn't desperate to escape because he has clearly passed on a few jobs where lesser qualified candidates were hired.

lamont
12-07-2016, 12:58 PM

No I don't. Taggert was recommended by Dungy, Harbaugh, and others. Mullen went 5-7

maroonmania
12-07-2016, 01:01 PM
No I don't. Taggertas recommended by Dungy, Harbaugh, and others. Mullen went 5-7

Another factor is that I would assume Taggert's price tag was considerably less than what Mullen's would have been.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2016, 01:03 PM

LOL!

Really Clark?
12-07-2016, 01:05 PM
Another factor is that I would assume Taggert's price tag was considerably less than what Mullen's would have been.

And that is exactly what it boiled down to. That and they knew Taggert was accept the job. They didn't want to be turned down by Mullen a second time, especially after Rhule spurned them for Baylor.

gtowndawg
12-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Amen

maroonmania
12-07-2016, 01:09 PM
And that is exactly what it boiled down to. That and they knew Taggert was accept the job. They didn't want to be turned down by Mullen a second time, especially after Rhule spurned them for Baylor.

When was the first?

Really Clark?
12-07-2016, 01:11 PM
When was the first?

Supposedly he turned down an "interview" last week or over the weekend.

Liverpooldawg
12-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Supposedly he turned down an "interview" last week or over the weekend.

yep

HSVDawg
12-07-2016, 01:17 PM
No I don't. Taggertas recommended by Dungy, Harbaugh, and others. Mullen went 5-7

This ought to be fun.

There are three types of message board arguments. Legitimate points than can be argued, points that can't be argued but are anyways, and points that are so insanely idiotic that they are only brought up by trolls and/or morons and should thus be ignored by everyone else.

The above post belongs in that last category. Any of yall on this board who want to discuss can have at it. I've got better shit to do.

maroonmania
12-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Back to the extension, it will be interesting to see what happens. He didn't get one last year after going 9-4 (presumably due to the job shopping soap opera going on in the background) and now wants one after a 5-7 regular season.

lamont
12-07-2016, 01:30 PM
Mullen was very smart to throw the extension comment out there. Notice he said "I think"

If he doesn't get one now after not getting one last year it makes the situation look bad. He just forced our hand

NCDawg
12-07-2016, 01:34 PM
I think it's going to be tough for Mullen to find another job that pays him as much as we pay him. As for as an extension, does a 5-7 record with a loss to South Alabama, and crushing defeats to Auburn, Alabama, and Arkansas really deserve an extension? I understand that it is probably necessary for recruiting purposes, but I hope the buyout will be significantly reduced.

preachermatt83
12-07-2016, 01:35 PM
If anyone actually thinks Oregon chose Taggert OVER Mullen then they are beyond help.

Jack Lambert
12-07-2016, 01:40 PM
I think they should pay him one dollar more then what Ole Miss is paying Freeze just to what melt down Ole Miss fan base would have.

ILOATHEBears
12-07-2016, 01:47 PM
I think they should pay him one dollar more then what Ole Miss is paying Freeze just to what melt down Ole Miss fan base would have.

The last 4 numbers of his salary should end in 5520

Really Clark?
12-07-2016, 01:48 PM

+1,000,000

Jack Lambert

That be great!

ILOATHEBears
Mullen was very smart to throw the extension comment out there. Notice he said "I think"

If he doesn't get one now after not getting one last year it makes the situation look bad. He just forced our hand

I took that as I've been busy recruiting and taking the egg bowl trophy to croots houses the past few weeks and I don't really know

msbulldog
12-07-2016, 01:51 PM

Yep, cause you know Mississippi ain't fixing to give Freeze a raise.

TrapGame
12-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Nice.

I wish Mullen would have cut a series of checks to charities all of them $5,520.00.

BrunswickDawg
12-07-2016, 01:54 PM

And it is just as plausible that - like most coaches and athletes - Dan lets his agent handle most of this after the initial "are you interested". That's why you have agents.

lamont
12-07-2016, 01:59 PM
And it is just as plausible that - like most coaches and athletes - Dan lets his agent handle most of this after the initial "are you interested". That's why you have agents.

Just as plausible as it is agents keep their clients up to date regularly on negotiations- and it's especially easy with the advent on text messaging

"Cohen is still saying 2 more years but the last 2 arent guaranteed. They won't up the buyout. I'll let you know if something changes"

This isn't 1984- clients get updated immediately these days

BrunswickDawg
12-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Just as plausible as it is agents keep their clients up to date regularly on negotiations- and it's especially easy with the advent on text messaging

"Cohen is still saying 2 more years but the last 2 arent guaranteed. They won't up the buyout. I'll let you know if something changes"

This isn't 1984- clients get updated immediately these days

And outside of 2010 (which was done in Dec), the other extensions have all been finalized in February or March. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2015/02/26/msu-dan-mullen-agree-to-extension/24094359/

Note the "The two parties began negotiations after the regular season. Preparation for the Orange Bowl, National Signing Day and then postseason vacations all interrupted talks. The two sides remained confident throughout the discussion that a deal would get done. Each time he was asked about the negotiations, Stricklin pointed to the fact an agreement was reached in the five previous offseasons. This one was no different."

Yes last year was different, but it looks like we are back to normal routine this year.

Political Hack
12-07-2016, 02:14 PM
If anyone actually thinks Oregon chose Taggert OVER Mullen then they are beyond help.

If anyone thinks someone not named T-Boone Pickens is going to pay Dan Mullen $5 million a year to be their head football coach while also paying a $9 million buy out then they're beyond help. I know Knight has money, but nobody in their right mind would pay $18-$20 million over the next two years for him. That's what this would've cost them. That's absurd for anyone to begin to believe that they'd do that.

Also, CDM's base contract isn't all he gets from the University. He makes a lot more money too some of which is paid directly to other people. If I had to guess, and it is a guess, he's making north of $5 million a year in Starkville. And that's a conservative guess.

BrunswickDawg
12-07-2016, 02:21 PM
If anyone thinks someone not named T-Boone Pickens is going to pay Dan Mullen $5 million a year to be their head football coach while also paying a $9 million buy out then they're beyond help. I know Knight has money, but nobody in their right mind would pay $18-$20 million over the next two years for him. That's what this would've cost them. That's absurd for anyone to begin to believe that they'd do that.

Also, CDM's base contract isn't all he gets from the University. He makes a lot more money too some of which is paid directly to other people. If I had to guess, and it is a guess, he's making north of $5 million a year in Starkville. And that's a conservative guess.

And that much money in MS goes a lot further than in Eugene, Oregon.

Johnson85
12-07-2016, 02:21 PM

I'd say most schools aren't going to pay $5M because most schools simply don't pay that much period, but I seriously doubt the $9M payout has that much of an affect on the decision. Certainly for some schools the fact that they had spent $9M on a buyout would mean they have to go lower with the next salary offer. But I doubt Oregon is one of them. I think the question is whether you want Taggert at $XM or Mullen at $4.5+. The only way the buyout would have come into play is maybe reminding them that with no sure things after Saban and Meyer, they would be wise to roll the dice with a less accomplished coach in exchange for lower risk on the buyout.

Political Hack
12-07-2016, 02:26 PM
I'd say most schools aren't going to pay $5M because most schools simply don't pay that much period, but I seriously doubt the $9M payout has that much of an affect on the decision. Certainly for some schools the fact that they had spent $9M on a buyout would mean they have to go lower with the next salary offer. But I doubt Oregon is one of them. I think the question is whether you want Taggert at $XM or Mullen at $4.5+. The only way the buyout would have come into play is maybe reminding them that with no sure things after Saban and Meyer, they would be wise to roll the dice with a less accomplished coach in exchange for lower risk on the buyout.

They aren't paying north of $4.5 million, which is the floor. He's making over $5.

Political Hack
12-07-2016, 02:27 PM
That's tiny, but someone can enlarge it. For context... Everyone should understand now.

Bubb Rubb
12-07-2016, 02:27 PM

Mullen is not negotiating in the press. The only reason he brought it up is because he knows it's being worked on.

TrapGame
12-07-2016, 02:40 PM
I hate it when these types of threads devolve into pissing contests because someone has to be right.

Political Hack
12-07-2016, 02:47 PM
I hate it when these types of threads devolve into pissing contests because someone has to be right.

You're so wrong for that.

dawgday166
12-07-2016, 05:58 PM

If I recall correctly Bammer talked to Mullen before they hired Saban. Dan said he was happy in FL *****

MetEdDawg
12-07-2016, 06:32 PM
If Oregon took Taggart over Mullen they are dumb as hell. Dude is 40-45 over his career as a head coach at WKU and USF. And he's 0-2 in bowl games. Mullen is 60-42 in the toughest conference and division in football and 4-2 in bowl games.

I get that Taggart has had a couple good years, but Mullen is a much better and more proven coach. Can you think of anyone that if starting a team they would Taggart over Mullen? Hell no.

RocketDawg
12-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Wait just a darn minute. Are u telling me not all I read on elitedawgs is true?

Well, since the "expert", "in the know" statements are often conflicting ... I suppose one should make up one's own mind to answer that question.

Virgil Caine
12-07-2016, 06:43 PM

The Helfrich buyout is a sunk, fixed cost. Unless Knight is working with a fixed budget -- he isn't -- why would that factor into future salary considerations? As soon as Oregon bought out Helfrich, they knew that 9 million was out the door and gone. What's the difference to Knight between paying the future coach 4/20 and 4/14?

lamont
12-07-2016, 06:54 PM
Well, since the "expert", "in the know" statements are often conflicting ... I suppose one should make up one's own mind to answer that question.

https://twitter.com/LandryFootball/status/806558481994186752

The knock on Mullen comes out again

dawgday166
12-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Don't know much about Landry. Is he usually reliable? A lot of folks can take to twitter and speculate.

lamont
12-07-2016, 07:04 PM
https://twitter.com/LandryFootball/status/806640166014173184

Really Clark?
12-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Don't know much about Landry. Is he usually reliable? A lot of folks can take to twitter and speculate.

He is a scout that lives in Baton Rouge and went to LSU. Former Houston/Tenn scout then was a radio host for 10-15 years had his own scout company during this time.

dawgday166
12-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Thanks Clark. Still wonder how accurate he is as a general rule.

Todd4State
12-07-2016, 08:01 PM
https://twitter.com/LandryFootball/status/806558481994186752

The knock on Mullen comes out again

Maybe those comments will encourage him to recruit better.