PDA

View Full Version : Oregon search

preachermatt83
12-06-2016, 01:13 PM
This search is all kinds of strange... They are not interested in Fleck. They offered the job to Rhule but he chose a messed up Baylor program over them. Just strange. I think it's gonna be someone No one was expecting. If it were Mcelwain or chip Kelly then it would be a done deal already. They wouldn't have made a run at Rhule if Kelly or Mac were options. Rumor circulating around Starkville is that Dan turned down the offer to interview.

missouridawg
12-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Outside of never wearing the same uniform twice and good facilities, what does Oregon bring to the table?

ckDOG
12-06-2016, 01:20 PM
This search is all kinds of strange... They are not interested in Fleck. They offered the job to Rhule but he chose a messed up Baylor program over them. Just strange. I think it's gonna be someone No one was expecting. If it were Mcelwain or chip Kelly then it would be a done deal already. They wouldn't have made a run at Rhule if Kelly or Mac were options. Rumor circulating around Starkville is that Dan turned down the offer to interview.

If Rhule is going to Baylor, he did not receive an offer from Oregon. Hell, he probably wasn't interviewed.

AROB44
12-06-2016, 01:21 PM

But....I thought he couldn't wait to get out of Starkville. This can't be true.

starkvegasdawg
12-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Outside of never wearing the same uniform twice and good facilities, what does Oregon bring to the table?

http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1011/cfb.oregon.cheerleaders/images/ABOO5512.jpg

http://www.dailyemerald.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2015-12-31.AlamoBowlFullDayGallery-16-1024x682.jpg

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 01:24 PM
Yeah was just posting in the other thread some of this. Taggert may be next in line and we know Schanio and Harison interviewed but Schanio doesn't seem like a fit. After that, I'm not sure where they turn if Kelly and McElwain are not lurking in the background. I might talk with the Eastern Wash guy. It would be a big gamble but he knows the area well and has ran a good program for a while.

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 01:25 PM
If Rhule is going to Baylor, he did not receive an offer from Oregon. Hell, he probably wasn't interviewed.

Wolken had two sources that Oregon was trying to work out a deal with Rhule last night.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-06-2016, 01:25 PM
If Taggert is offered he will take the job.

Jack Lambert
12-06-2016, 01:27 PM

I think the owner of NIKE has his hand in everything Oregon Football. Does Oregon have the athletes that Miss and the four surrounding states have? I know we got head to head with Bama, Auburn, LSU and Ole Miss but still I would think there is still more talent left over.

msbulldog
12-06-2016, 01:29 PM
http://cdn-s3.si.com/s3fs-public/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1011/cfb.oregon.cheerleaders/images/ABOO5512.jpg

http://www.dailyemerald.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2015-12-31.AlamoBowlFullDayGallery-16-1024x682.jpg

Dammit Boy!

basedog
12-06-2016, 01:29 PM
I told y'all Dan wasn't or hasn't interviewed. Oregon job ain't what it use to be.

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 01:32 PM
If Taggert is offered he will take the job.

I think so as well. Surprised they are not looking at Harison harder but maybe he is not that interested.

preachermatt83
12-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Word is Taggert is about to be offered and expected to accept and will be announced this week.

Jack Lambert
12-06-2016, 01:35 PM

Must not be from Oregon. They shaved.

Political Hack
12-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Chip Kelly could very easily tell them to wait 3.5 weeks and they'd likely need to check in with the NCAA too before making an announcement. Gives him 5 weeks to get ready for NSD and he can finish out the year with SF. It's the best fit. There's no one else to hire and Nike is going to throw some major money to get things corrected.

rolodawg
12-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Is that a man on the far right in bottom pic?

ckDOG
12-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Wolken had two sources that Oregon was trying to work out a deal with Rhule last night.

I know. Going to have to say his sources were flat wrong. Doesn't pass the smell test. Rhule isn't a fit for Oregon to begin with and you wouldn't turn it down for Baylor right now. Oregon's profile has diminished a bit recently, but it's far fetched to believe that a guy would pass up on big money from Oregon to jump into the Baylor mess. I have to assume Rhule IS making a money-motivated move if he's going to Baylor, but I highly doubt Baylor made him an offer that would cause a sane person to turn down Oregon.

preachermatt83
12-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Supposedly Rhule is very involved with the southern baptist convention. Baylor is a SBC school. Just a thought.

thf24
12-06-2016, 01:47 PM
I don't think Oregon was ever that great of a job. Its perception was inflated due to Nike money and Kelly's success. When you look past those things, it might not even be in the top 5 in its conference in terms of prestige, not much history, with a relatively sparse recruiting region that it shares with three other in-conference neighbors. It becomes more obvious the further they get from Kelly's tenure.

Thick
12-06-2016, 01:50 PM
I would jump at the opportunity to be a cheerleader sponsor!

fader2103
12-06-2016, 01:55 PM
I have decided to accept 1 dollar a year to coach Oregon, also long as I get a cheerleader a day on the back of a motorcycle*

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 01:59 PM
I know. Going to have to say his sources were flat wrong. Doesn't pass the smell test. Rhule isn't a fit for Oregon to begin with and you wouldn't turn it down for Baylor right now. Oregon's profile has diminished a bit recently, but it's far fetched to believe that a guy would pass up on big money from Oregon to jump into the Baylor mess. I have to assume Rhule IS making a money-motivated move if he's going to Baylor, but I highly doubt Baylor made him an offer that would cause a sane person to turn down Oregon.

I don't really see a fit with Rhule with either job really but Baylor's recruiting base is a big advantage. That may have been a tipping scale. College Football Live said the same thing about Rhule turning down Oregon. But I didn't see it and don't know if they referenced Wolken or had other sources.

Dawgface
12-06-2016, 02:01 PM
I told y'all Dan wasn't or hasn't interviewed. Oregon job ain't what it use to be.
Other than this year, they have been solid.

2010 Chip Kelly 12-1 9-0 1st L BCS National Championship Game 3 3
Pac-12 Conference (2011-present)
2011 Chip Kelly 12-2 8-1 T-1st (North) W Rose 4 4
2012 Chip Kelly 12-1 8-1 T-1st (North) W Fiesta 2 2
2013 Mark Helfrich 11-2 7-2 T-1st (North) W Alamo 9 9
2014 Mark Helfrich 13-2 8-1 1st (North) W Rose Bowl, L CFP NCG 2 2
2015 Mark Helfrich 9-4 7-2 2nd (North) L Alamo

Jack Lambert
12-06-2016, 02:02 PM
I have decided to accept 1 dollar a year to coach Oregon, also long as I get a cheerleader a day on the back of a motorcycle*

Hell you can have a cheerleader every day if you are willing to buy a hooker and have her dress as one.

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 02:02 PM
I don't think Oregon was ever that great of a job. Its perception was inflated due to Nike money and Kelly's success. When you look past those things, it might not even be in the top 5 in its conference in terms of prestige, not much history, with a relatively sparse recruiting region that it shares with three other in-conference neighbors. It becomes more obvious the further they get from Kelly's tenure.

Disagree somewhat. Rich Brooks and then Belotti had more to do with the transition to Kelly's success. That was as an impressive of a program build in the modern history. It's what got them to the point for a title run. Helfrick just didn't maintain and they were probably due for a change.

dawgs
12-06-2016, 02:18 PM
from someone living out here with an oregon grad degree and plenty of friends with inside sources, there's been no talk of the rhule stuff at all. taggert seems to have the most buzz, but plenty of people still think chip is the leader in the house and it's merely a matter of waiting for the NFL season to end.

if rhule did turn down oregon for baylor, he's a damn fool, religious affiliation or not. baylor literally has 1 recruit committed this cycle. 1. and he's a middling 3*. they lost a lot of their class last year too. barring a miracle, they have a long long road back to relevance.

as for oregon's recruiting, there's plenty of eastern oregon/washington and idaho/montana/wyoming farm boys to recruit for OL (oregon consistently puts OL in the NFL) that are vastly underrated by recruiting services since they aren't in recruiting hotbeds and in general, the west coast schools simply don't avidly follow recruiting like programs east of the rockies, so there's no recruiting bumps to drive clicks out here. then oregon can pick up some somoan and hawaiian guys for DL that are also underrated, then pick up some cali leftover skill guys that are better than 90% of the rest of the country's skill guys, and it's not all that difficult to put enough talent on the field to compete. once things get rolling, it's becomes easier to start dipping into texas and florida and other high talent areas for 5-6 guys/year like oregon was doing at their peak, and the talent is right back to where it was 2010-2014. plus portland is one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country, so can expect more talent coming out of there moving forward too. it's not as easy as recruiting to texas or florida or lsu, but i think it's a better recruiting situation than a program like nebraska, and comparable to somewhere like washington (washington being good is probably be the biggest threat tbh, as top tier players willing to move to the PacNW aren't automatically picking oregon as long as petersen is at UW).

HSVDawg
12-06-2016, 02:19 PM
I think the owner of NIKE has his hand in everything Oregon Football. Does Oregon have the athletes that Miss and the four surrounding states have? I know we got head to head with Bama, Auburn, LSU and Ole Miss but still I would think there is still more talent left over.

Oregon doesn't, but Cali has plenty and is just one state away.

basedog
12-06-2016, 02:42 PM
Other than this year, they have been solid.

2010 Chip Kelly 12-1 9-0 1st L BCS National Championship Game 3 3
Pac-12 Conference (2011-present)
2011 Chip Kelly 12-2 8-1 T-1st (North) W Rose 4 4
2012 Chip Kelly 12-1 8-1 T-1st (North) W Fiesta 2 2
2013 Mark Helfrich 11-2 7-2 T-1st (North) W Alamo 9 9
2014 Mark Helfrich 13-2 8-1 1st (North) W Rose Bowl, L CFP NCG 2 2
2015 Mark Helfrich 9-4 7-2 2nd (North) L Alamo

Weak ass conference. I remember in the 70's betting every week and giving up many points, along with Rice as they use to get beat 40 or more points often.

shrimp
12-06-2016, 02:46 PM
She has some big ole.......teeth.

defiantdog
12-06-2016, 02:56 PM
Oregon had their run of success, but USC is back in the game and they'll only be able to pick up scraps out of the California recruiting trail. The USF coach will take the job and have his hands full.

Bothrops
12-06-2016, 03:14 PM
Oregon can recruit all the athletes they need out of California. There's more there than in any other state.

Jack Lambert
12-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Oregon can recruit all the athletes they need out of California. There's more there than in any other state.

Also more colleges then other states. Plus the other Pac 12 schools are hitting California pretty hard.

Dawg61
12-06-2016, 04:37 PM

The state of Oregon is consistently ranked #1 as best state to live in. Legal weed is pretty cool too.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-06-2016, 04:41 PM
almost but Coach34 approved

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-06-2016, 04:45 PM
Find it amusing how Oregon is finally realizing they aren't a top place destination for a coach anymore . Looks like they have had several turn it down. Didn't see many knocking the door down either. Chip Kelly is their only top hope from what I've seen on boards. I don't see Chip coming back but the 49ers organization is a dumpster fire at the moment

NCDawg
12-06-2016, 04:51 PM
Doubt if ******* will hire Mullen. From reading Oregon's website, most don't seem to think Mullen is the right choice for them.

1bigdawg
12-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Find it amusing how Oregon is finally realizing they aren't a top place destination for a coach anymore . Looks like they have had several turn it down. Didn't see many knocking the door down either. Chip Kelly is their only top hope from what I've seen on boards. I don't see Chip coming back but the 49ers organization is a dumpster fire at the moment

Harbaugh took the 49ers to a Super Bowl and a year later the 49ers management/owners were trying to run him off. I know that Kelly did not have a lot of options after Philly, but its hard to work for any organization without support.

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 04:59 PM
Doubt if ******* will hire Mullen. From reading Oregon's website, most don't seem to think Mullen is the right choice for them.

Huh. I read a couple of threads yesterday from one of their sites and the majority would like Mullen over some of the names that had been rumored.

dawgs
12-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Huh. I read a couple of threads yesterday from one of their sites and the majority would like Mullen over some of the names that had been rumored.

No one I know personally would be fired up about Mullen. We've talked about it. I also don't think dan would be a great fit at Oregon either.

dawgs
12-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Also more colleges then other states. Plus the other Pac 12 schools are hitting California pretty hard.

Uh, PAC 12 schools have always hit Cali hard for recruits.

And there's more than enough guys to go around after USC takes their picks.

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 06:37 PM
No one I know personally would be fired up about Mullen. We've talked about it. I also don't think dan would be a great fit at Oregon either.

Fit, I would probably agree with you but you mentioned websites I just read a different take than you mentioned

was21
12-06-2016, 07:18 PM
What about the Mullen elephant in the room? No mention?

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 07:29 PM
What about the Mullen elephant in the room? No mention?

Nope. He is not a candidate ffrom all reports including the rumor that he is not interested in them.

ckDOG
12-06-2016, 07:52 PM
Oregon gonna try to get Gundy. They will overpay him, but they could do worse.

WSOPdawg
12-06-2016, 08:04 PM

Nominate for post of 2016.

msstate7
12-06-2016, 08:12 PM
Oregon gonna try to get Gundy. They will overpay him, but they could do worse.

Is this a hunch or being reported?

dawgs
12-06-2016, 08:24 PM
If I were to guess, and I'd say I have a better gauge on this job search than anyone else on here, I'd say it's chip or willie taggert. even if chip isn't 100% committed yet but is interested, they will wait, because after Saban and urban, there may not be anyone else you'd want coaching your CFB team (yes there's a few others in his class, but it's debatable, hence "may not be"). If they don't get chip, it appears taggert isn't going anywhere else, so he'd be there in a couple of weeks. If he signs an extension/raise with USF before Oregon makes an announcement, that's another sign pointing to chip IMO.

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 08:25 PM
Is this a hunch or being reported?

It's being reported that he may be in play. He also never signed his contract extension that has been out there since the summer I think.

ckDOG
12-06-2016, 10:04 PM
It's being reported that he may be in play. He also never signed his contract extension that has been out there since the summer I think.

Yep. I'm in OK these days. The locals state he's getting restless and may not enjoy working with Boone Pickens any longer. Local radio said this evening said he turned down 10 yrs / 60 million from Baylor before they went with the Temple guy. They seemed pretty confident in that statement - grain of salt obviously.

I know Baylor is toxic right now, but if he truly turned down a contract like that, he's either getting a big raise at OSU (not happening) or he's getting attention from a big time program. Oregon is available so I'm filling in the blanks.

coachnorm
12-06-2016, 11:26 PM

Uncle Phil's stack of CASH.

civildawg
12-06-2016, 11:29 PM
Another board is saying they have an agreement with willie taggart

was21
12-07-2016, 07:51 AM
Football Sc(poop) reporting Taggart