PDA

View Full Version : 2017 OL

justwin
12-06-2016, 12:36 AM
LT Rankin; LG Jenkins; RG Calhoun. So, need a C & RT.

Options:
Reese 6'5 340. redshirt fr
Eiland 6'7 300 redshirt fr
Parker 6'4 320 redshirt fr
Story 6'4 295 rs soph
williams 6'2 300 rs soph
Moon 6'4 290 rs soph
Champion 6'5 320 juco jr
phillips 6'6 325 juco jr
hayes 6'6 320 juco jr - target

questions: of the options above, who are the candidates for C & RT? I know we may sign some HS OL but dont expect them to play. What's the word on Eiland...is he ready to start?

msstate7
12-06-2016, 07:44 AM
Calhoun at center

Need right side out of guys you listed. I say leading candidates for RG are Williams (if healthy), champion, story, and Reese. If no RT emerges, we'll probably slide Jenkins there and use 2 of my above list at guard. Just guessing though... hev won't return my calls**

msbulldog
12-06-2016, 07:53 AM
We need Jenkins to pull from left guard. He had the landminnows ducking to keep him from hitting them full on.

MetEdDawg
12-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Would like Williams at center, Calhoun at guard, and Champion at RT if he can be effective there. We should have the chance of being pretty good there. Rankin, Jenkins, Williams, Calhoun, Champion would be a really solid OL in my opinion.

I said last year that 2017 had the chance to be a solid year for us. Just looking at the depth chart and what we have returning at certain positions, I think that has the chance to remain true. Offensively, while we might have a few WR questions, I think we have the rest of the pieces in place, including along the OL, to score a crap ton of points.

EAVdog
12-06-2016, 09:23 AM
Jenkins went Beastmode a few times in the Egg Bowl. On one of the QB runs he was booking it 20 yards downfield and laid someone out. It was awesome.

thf24
12-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Pretty sure Champion was said to be our LT of the future when he signed out of high school, but this time around most seem to be projecting him at G. Seems like we regularly have highly rated OT's turn into G's and DE's into DT's. Is this due to habitually bad evaluations, or are we just really unlucky with players' progressions after they sign?

smootness
12-06-2016, 10:11 AM
Pretty sure Champion was said to be our LT of the future when he signed out of high school, but this time around most seem to be projecting him at G. Seems like we regularly have highly rated OT's turn into G's and DE's into DT's. Is this due to habitually bad evaluations, or are we just really unlucky with players' progressions after they sign?

Most of the OL we sign are initially projected at T, so it makes sense some of them will move to G.

And moving DE to DT can be a great way to get athletic DT.

It doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Cary Hudson's little bro
12-06-2016, 11:30 AM
True SEC caliber tackles are hard to come by...they don't grow on trees, unlike OG's and C's.

We need Hayes from MGCCC for starter/depth, but thankfully we have a solid commit in Cordavian Suggs. He's a real tackle. Eiland is getting too much hype right now. He may be ready by the 2018 season, IMO

Bothrops
12-06-2016, 11:40 AM
True SEC caliber tackles are hard to come by...they don't grow on trees, unlike OG's and C's.

We need Hayes from MGCCC for starter/depth, but thankfully we have a solid commit in Cordavian Suggs. He's a real tackle. Eiland is getting too much hype right now. He may be ready by the 2018 season, IMO

Hayes is supposedly visiting Georgia this weekend.

dawgday166
12-06-2016, 12:00 PM

We fatten them up.

Hot Rock
12-06-2016, 12:07 PM

I think neither.

We like OL to be able to play multiple positions. If tackles move inside, then that's kind of the plan in a 'round about way. Just my two cents